Hanging By A Thread

Hanging By A Thread


It was Cho Kyuhyun's first day at his new school in Seoul and he was nervous.

However, not in the way that most people would be. Most people would be worried about not knowing anybody, and making a good impression, and about where they would sit at lunch. That was normal, expected even.

Cho Kyuhyun however, wasn't worried about any of that. He was nervous about hurting someone. You see, Cho Kyuhyun had a problem controlling his temper. In fact, he had transferred in the first place to escape the consequences of what he had done.

Cho Kyuhyun had almost killed someone.

~ ~ ~

"Be careful today sweetie, please." Kyuhyun's mother said softly, her dark eyes full of sadness. He nodded, gently hugging her goodbye, before making his way onto the street and over to his new school, only a block away.

As he walked onto the campus, glancing at the other students curiously, he the pill bottle in the pocket of his blazer. His mother had made sure to get permission from the principle so he could carry it, and he was instructed to take one capsule if he felt his control slipping. Kyuhyun bit his lower lip as he stopped and leaned against a space of wall that was clear of people waiting for the first bell. He pulled out his iPod and allowed the device to choose a song for him. Ironically, Not Alone by Park Jung-min came on, fitting the situation perfectly. Kyuhyun chuckled and watched students filtering in through the front gates, humming almost inaudibly along with the song.

It was then that Cho Kyuhyun first laid eyes on Lee Sungmin.

Kyuhyun knew instantly that it was love at first sight. The way the mysterious boys eyes were alive and friendly, how the sunlight hit his jet-black hair, how his whole face glowed when he smiled, it made his body fill with butterflies. He was linked arms with another boy, making Kyuhyun burn with jealousy, and didn't pay any mind to him when the they passed by, simply laughing together without a care in the world. Kyuhyun stared after him, not making any effort to conceal the dreamy eyes and red cheeks he now sported.

'What a beautiful human being...' Kyuhyun thought as the boy disappeared into the building, the bell ringing almost on cue. It was like a bolt of lightning had struck him. Kyuhyun had never felt this strange feeling bubbling up inside him, the warm and fuzzy feeling that most people would identify as love.

~ ~ ~

Kyuhyun stood at the front of his new class, hardly able to contain his joy at being put in the same class as the beautiful boy he'd seen before. He was staring at Kyuhyun with interest, just like all the other students. But his gaze made Kyuhyun's knees wobble.

"Class, say hello to Cho Kyuhyun, he's going to be in our class from now on, so you all need to be nice to him." The teacher turned and smiled at him. "Why don't you take the empty seat next to Sungmin." He said, gesturing to the boy, who smiled and waved a little. Kyuhyun's heart raced as he nodded and moved to sit in the seat, glancing at Sungmin.

"Hi, I'm Lee Sungmin, it's nice to meet you!" The boy, Sungmin, whispered, scooting his desk closer to Kyuhyun's. "You can share my book with me till you get one for yourself." Kyuhyun simply nodded, not able to speak. He could smell the thick but not overpowering scent of strawberries wafting off Sungmin in waves blasting him in the face, and it made him shiver slightly. And his smile...it was like Heaven itself cracked open and dropped this angel before him.

Kyuhyun quickly became friends with Sungmin after that. Sungmin showed him where all his classes were, despite the fact that it made him late to his own, and invited Kyuhyun to sit with him and his brother and their friends at lunch everyday if he wanted. Unfortunately for Kyuhyun, in order to hide his strong feelings for Sungmin, he resorted to putting on his "cool uncaring guy" facade so he wasn't blushing and stumbling over himself every time he saw him. Which annoyed Kyuhyun a lot.

When he finally found his way to the cafeteria however, his spirits soared when he was introduced to Sungmin's brother Ryeowook, who was none other than the boy he saw Sungmin linking arms with that morning. He also met two of his friends Donghae and Hyukjae, who Kyuhyun suspected were in a relationship but he wasn't sure. They just seemed awfully friendly with each other without being too touchy-feely.

It seemed that everyday Kyuhyun fell more deeply in love with Sungmin, if that was possible. Just when he though he was going to explode from all the love he had stored inside, Sungmin would do or say something that would squeeze a little more in there, taking his breath away.

Still though, much to his dismay, Kyuhyun still had to act like he didn't like Sungmin very much so he wouldn't find out how he felt about him. He wanted so bad to tell Sungmin he loved him and for Sungmin to love him back and then he could shower him with all the love and affection that he deserved. But although he seemed like he could be gay due to his love of anything pink, he wasn't sure, and it would be very unlike him to poor his feeling out to someone. He was used to holding his feelings in so that others wouldn't come near him that it was just such a hard habit to break, and he didn't know how.

Then one day when he and Sungmin were walking out of the school building, Kyuhyun heard a snicker and turned to see Kim Heechul standing around with a few other guys that really aren't worth naming.

Heechul smirked rudely. "Why hello little Sungminnie~!" He sneered strutting over and staring down at Sungmin with his arms crossed in front of his chest. "How's the little homo doing today?" Sungmin flinched and lowered his eyes to stare at his feet. Kyuhyun frowned. Sungmin wasn't the type to just sit there and take ridicule like that.

Kyuhyun stepped between them, forcing Heechul back. "That's enough. Let's go Sungmin." Then, swallowing his feelings and his anger, he placed his hand on Sungmin's lower back and began to lead him away. So far, he hadn't had to break open the pill bottle he'd had since he moved here and he wanted to keep it that way. However, Heechul wasn't done.

"Oh Sungminnie you didn't!" Heechul laughed, recovering from the shock of being stood up to. "Don't tell me your sleeping with the newbie already!" Kyuhyun froze and Sungmin stilled at his side, his eyes wide. He clenched his empty hand, not wanting to hurt Sungmin. Heechul continued. "I thought since I screwed you that you were turned off ?"

Kyuhyun was loosing control. He turned around slowly and glared at Heechul, a killing aura flowing off him. "What are you talking about?" He growled menacingly. Sungmin looked up at Kyuhyun with frightened eyes.

Apparently Heechul didn't see how close to pain he was. He laughed. "Oh don't tell me he didn't tell you!" He wiped the tears out of his eyes from laughing. "Last year little Sungminnie had the biggest crush on me. So I went out with him for a bit, you know, curiosity of dating a guy." He paused for a second when he started to notice how angry Kyuhyun was, but he foolishly ignored it. "But little Sungminnie was afraid to have with me, and us men, we have our physical needs. So I him."

Kyuhyun's heart cracked. He couldn't breathe, couldn't speak. All he could see was Heechul's smug face through a red haze. His breaking point was when he felt Sungmin fall against his back and sob, his tears soaking through Kyuhyun's thin t-shirt.

Kyuhyun snapped. Kyuhyun lunged for Heechul, throwing a punch that knocked him right off his feet and made him shriek in pain, and clasped his fists around his throat, strangling him.

He faintly noticed Heechul's friends begin to scream for help and attempt to beat Kyuhyun off of him, but their blows had no effect. Kyuhyun had lost it for the first time since he almost killed Choi Siwon back home for nothing. Siwon hadn't done anything wrong. It was just a bad day for Kyuhyun and Siwon was the one he took his anger out on. After that he swore he wouldn't ever loose it like that again.

But it had happened anyway.

"I'll kill you..." Kyuhyun seethed. "I'LL KILL YOU FOR HURTING HIM!!" Heechul weakly tried to pry Kyuhyun's fingers from around his throat to no avail. Kyuhyun was blinded by rage.

Suddenly Kyuhyun heard Sungmin's voice through the fire. "Kyu! Kyu let go, your killing him!" He turned his head slightly and saw Sungmin hugging his right arm, tears streaming down his face as he pulled at Kyuhyun's arm. Then it hit him that he had lost it in front of Sungmin, the one person he didn't want to show this side to, more than anyone else.

He released Heechul's throat and slumped back, barely noticing that he was unconscious. Sungmin leaned down and checked his pulse.

He looked up at me with tears still falling. "He's okay, his pulse is strong." Sungmin sat back and watched in shock as Kyuhyun pulled out the pill bottle with fumbling hands, broke the seal, and threw back two capsules before letting out a deep breath. Kyuhyun looked at him his eyes sorrowful.

"I...I'm sorry Sungmin..." He whispered, hanging his head. "I just...hate the thought of anybody touching you and...and hurting you like that...It breaks my heart."

Sungmin simply stared at him, his eyes fearful. "But..why? Why do you care for me so much? You always seem like you only hang out with me because there's no one else! Why did you do that!"

"Because I love you Sungmin!" Kyuhyun yelled, making Sungmin jump. Kyuhyun stared at him, gauging his reaction. "I've loved you ever since the first time I saw you! And the thought of someone who isn't me kissing you and touching you makes me want to kill something!"

"B-But we're both guys...I-I'm not gay Kyuhyun..." Sungmin stood up and ran away, ran away from him and left Kyuhyun there alone with his broken heart.

~ ~ ~

After Sungmin's rejection Kyuhyun was barely able to stand and pick Heechul up to take him to the infirmary. He felt empty, like his heart had shriveled up and died inside him. The love Kyuhyun felt was still here, but it was like he had shoved it into a box that was too small and hid it away in the dark recesses of his soul.

When Heechul came to in the infirmary, the first thing he saw was Kyuhyun sitting beside his bed, staring at the wall with silent tears pouring down his face. At first Heechul was afraid of Kyuhyun for obvious reasons, but relaxed when he saw the look in the other boys eyes.

"You're in love with Sungminnie aren't you?" Heechul asked, startling Kyuhyun from his trance. He opened his mouth to speak but Heechul cut him off. "Don't lie to me dongsaeng. I can tell."

Kyuhyun just closed his mouth. "He's just...amazing. I can't help but love him." He glanced at Heechul guiltily. "I'm very sorry for what I did. I have a problem controlling my anger, and I haven't been taking my pills."

Heechul sighed. "It's not all your fault. If I'd know that you are that in love with Sungmin then I wouldn't have said anything." He sat up and winced at the pain in his neck, smiling when Kyuhyun handed him an ice-pack. "You see, I really was in love with that kid back then, but he was never really in love with me. It was like he distanced himself from me, and I just couldn't take it anymore. I've regretted what I did ever since, but I cant take it back now, it's too late." Kyuhyun looked up sharply when he felt a hand on his shoulder and saw Heechul's stern face. "What happened after I passed out?"

Kyuhyun dropped his head into his hands as fresh tears fell. "I told him that I'm in love with him. And he said he wasn't gay and ran off." His shoulders shook with soft sobs as Heechul simply patted his back.

"Well he's lying." Heechul announced. Kyuhyun lifted his head in surprise. "He is definitely gay. And he has feelings for you, anyone can tell. I knew as well, which is why I provoked you. I was jealous, I admit. But now that I think about it, I love him more like a brother." Kyuhyun gaped at him. Heechul pondered that. "That sounds weird. Anyway, just give him time, it will come to him."

Heechul continued to comfort Kyuhyun as he cried harder. He wasn't sure how long he could wait. He was already hanging by a thread as it is, and Sungmin held the scissors to cut that thread at anytime.

Kyuhyun just prayed that he wouldn't.

~ ~ ~

Days past like weeks for Kyuhyun.

Sungmin avoided him at all costs, and Kyuhyun was too afraid to approach him at lunch time. Donghae and Hyukjae told Kyuhyun to just wait like Heechul did, but he was about to break. He died a little more inside every time that he saw Sungmin avoid his gaze, or run away from him when he got near.

Kyuhyun took to skipping all the classes he had with Sungmin because it was just too painful to know that he would never be able to hear that laugh again. Instead he went to the roof of the school and just laid there, wallowing in his sorrow and crying heartbroken tears. More than once he though of just jumping off the three story building and ending it all. No one would miss him. His mother could go back to their old home where Kyuhyun's father was buried, and Sungmin wouldn't have to be afraid of him anymore. But then he saw reason and realized that then his mother would be alone. Kyuhyun couldn't do that to her.

But it was so hard. Heechul told him it would be hard, but Kyuhyun hadn't been expecting the utter misery he would go through. Staring up at the sky, he laid his forearm across his eyes and sobbed. "Just let it end..." He whispered.

"K-Kyu...?" The small voice shocked Kyuhyun out of his depression. He shot up and was surprised to see Sungmin standing at the door to the roof. At first he was confused, Sungmin wasn't the type to skip class. But that was overpowered by the notion of the fact that Sungmin was speaking to him again.

"S-Sungmin!" Kyuhyun gasped, jumping to his feet. He averted his gaze to the ground, allowing his bangs to cover his eyes so Sungmin wouldn't see his tears. "I'm sorry, I'll leave so you can stay up here..." As he went to pass by him to leave he caught Kyuhyun's arm.

Kyuhyun's breath hitched in his throat as warmth spread through his body for the first time in what seemed like years from where Sungmin touched him. "Kyuhyun...I've been thinking a lot about what you said, and I realized that...I was wrong."

Kyuhyun whirled around so fast he almost got whiplash. "What...what did you say?" He whispered, not believing his ears.

Very shyly, Sungmin entwined his fingers with Kyuhyun's and looked up at him through his eyelashes, making that little box of love in Kyuhyun's soul explode, turning his world pink. "I love you Kyu, and I'm sorry for what happened before, I was a foo-"

His words were cut off as Kyuhyun grabbed him around the waist and spun him around in pure delight, making Sungmin laugh happily before pulling him down for the sweetest most love-filled kiss either of them had ever experienced. When they finally broke apart, Kyuhyun hugged him close as if he was afraid Sungmin would disappear.

"I love you, I love you, I love you so much!" Kyuhyun whispered, resting his forehead on Sungmin's. Sungmin smiled and planted a kiss on Kyuhyun's nose.

"I know." He whispered back, making Kyuhyun smile softly before kissing him again.

Later, Heechul, Donghae, and Hyukjae stood at the school gates, watching Kyuhyun and Sungmin walk home together, hand in hand.

Donghae smiled and leaned his head on Hyukjae's shoulder. "It's about time they got together." Hyukjae nodded in agreement and looked at Sungmin's retreating figure, noting that for the first time in a long time, he was finally happy. Donghae looked up at him with curious eyes. "What are you thinking Hyukkie?" He asked, drawing Heechul's attention.

Hyukjae grinned down at his oblivious, innocent boyfriend. "Just that they should definitely use protection."