chapter 1

The Hiding Feast

“Jessica.” A short young woman with her blond hair called out to a certain hunter with long brown hair, dark blue eyes, and white flawless skin. She had been practicing her shooting until she heard her voice. The girl put down her gun and walked over to the shorter woman. Well, they both were a midget but the brown was a bit taller.

“Yes, Taeyeon?”

“We just got new info on a certain vampire in this area,” the woman called Taeyeon showed Jessica a picture of the vampire. She had long raven black hair and pitch black eyes, contrasting with her pale, snow white skin and rose colored lips. “Her name is Hwang Miyoung. She’s been appearing quite frequently around here.”

“What an old name,” Jessica mumbled. “I know what to do,” Jessica saluted to her group leader.

She retrieved her gun and refilled it, putting a few extra bullets in her pocket, just in case this vampire happens to pick a fight.

A hunter’s job is to exterminate all vampires…” she recited in her head. “I’ll eliminate them, every last one.”

“Jessi-unnie!” She felt a pair of arms hug her waist and a familiar voice call her name. She turned and saw none other than Krystal hugging her with her adorable grin.

“Soojung-ah, let me go, I have mission.” Soojung is the real Krystal’s name.

“Eh~? Don’t go yet. I wanna stay with unnie some more~!”

“No,” Jessica separated from her. “Listen, I know you want me to stay, but this one is extremely important.”

“Oh, come on~ Do you really have to go right now? It’s not even past 7 yet, the sun hasn’t even gone down. You can wait until then, can’t you?”

Jessica pondered on the younger girl’s thought and looked out the window. Indeed, it wasn’t dark out yet. She knew vampires only came out at night and rarely ever in the daytime, and while they were stronger in the dark, especially during a full moon, she figured Miyoung would easier to find once the sun down.

“Alright, I guess I can stay for a while but only until sundown.”

“Yay~ Thank you unnie!” Krystal hugged the girl again.

Ever since Krystal became a hunter, Jessica always had to look after her spoiled little sister. Krystal was always seen clinging to Jessica, always by her side. Even when Krystal was a baby, Jessica had taken care of her from the start.

Krystal was born when Jessica was six years old. Her parents showed the young Jessica everything she need to know on raising baby Krystal. She had watched Krystal grow and mature, from her first steps, to speaking her first word (which was, in fact Jessica’s name), every second every day, she was with her sister. Playing games with her, walking her to school, cheering her up when she was sad, and letting her sleep with her when she was scared.

When Krystal was 15 their parents were killed by a vampire. The two siblings were left alone to care for each other, trying to survive in the world on their own. Without Jessica, Krystal would have nothing. She was the only family she had left. So when finally she old enough, she became a hunter like her sister only to protect her sister from those awful creatures, and to make sure no child would end up in the same fate they were, or worse.

Now, Krystal is 18, and she’s matured into a beautifully blossoming young lady. She would still act a bit spoiled and maybe a little childish sometimes towards the elder girl, but Jessica still loved her sister and was there to take care of her.

“Unnie~ Let’s have curry for dinner tonight~”

“Soojung, you know if I’m out late, it’ll past your bedtime when dinner’s ready.”

“I’ll still eat it~ A girl’s gotta eat.”

“A girl’s gotte sleep, too”

“Unnie~ don’t be mean~”

“Jessica,” Another voice called out as the two were walking down the hall. Jessica saw a short figure along with a tall, with short hair. She immediately recognized them and smiled.

“Sunny! Sooyoung!”

“Yo, Sun-unnie, Soo-unnie!” Krystal immediately hugged the two girls.

“I see you’re doing well as usually, Krystal,” Sunny pet the girl’s head. “What’s goin’ on, Sica? Something come up?”

“I got new mission from Taeyeon. I’m going after a vampire named Hwang Miyoung tonight.”

Sooyoung’s face suddenly turned serious. “Do you mean the vampire with long hair and black eyes?”

“You know her?” Jessica’s eyes widened.

“Know her? I fought her. That’s why I got this!” Sooyoung pointed to her own collarbone, where a scar had marked her skin.

“That was from her?!” Sunny said in surprise.

“She’s incredibly fast. Didn’t even see it coming.”

“She sounds strong,” Krystal looked at her sister with worry. “You gonna be able to beat her on your own, Jessi-unnie?”

“Don’t worry,” Jessica patted Krystal’s head. “I’ll be fine.”

“Just….come back unharmed, okay? I don’t wanna lose you.”

Jessica nodded.

“Yeah, you go get ‘em and show that vamp who’s boss! Kiss her lil’ fanged !”

“Sunny!” Sooyoung slapped her shoulder slightly.

“What? I have no doubt Sica will win. My money’s on the legendary hunter, Sooyeon!”

“I told you, I don’t go by that anymore,” Jessica giggled.

“You still can!”

“Alright, Sunny, that’s enough,” a certain voice rose as a tanned woman walked up to Sunny. “You two, get back to training. I need to chat with Jessica.”

“Jeez, Yuri, you’re such a buzzkill,” Sunny sighed before receiving a slight grin from the tanned woman. She and Sooyoung went off as Yuri turned to the two siblings.

“Everything alright?”

“Yeah, we’re okay, Yuri-ssi”

“Just let me know if Sunny gets on your case. She kinda tends to speak her mind, a little to much.”

The two giggled at the comment.

“We were talking about Hwang Miyoung. I’m facing her tonight.”

“Is that so?”

“Yes”

“I’ve heard about her. Apparently she’s very high rank. Strong, fast, too. You be careful, okay?”

Jessica nodded.

“Good. Ah, and Krystal, Taeyeon and I wanted to do some special training with you. She wants you to meet up in Room 8. You up for it?”

“Yes, ma’am!”

“You go and get warmed up,” the tanned girl patted Krystal’s back.

“Ndae!” Krystal saluted and went off.

Yuri turned to Jessica.

“Seohyun told me about this vampire. She’s got every piece of info on her.”

“As expected, what’d she found?”

“Hwang Miyoung only comes out at night. And she has incredibly speed, faster than any vampire we’ve faced before. She’s also known to seduce her targets and hypnotize them before she drinks their blood. When they wake up, they have no memory of what happened.”

“But not me,” Jessica grinned. “She won’t break this.” She pointed to her head.

“I know she won’t. Just be careful out there. We will wait for your return.”

“Yes ma’am,” Jessica saluted to Yuri. Yuri saluted back and walked back down the hall.

Yuri was the second leader of the group. She was definitely one of the strongest hunter’s in the team had, along with Taeyeon (who was in charge of combat training) and of course Sooyoung. She, Sooyoung, and Sunny had been together since they first became hunters, and knew everything about each other.

Also on the hunter team was Seohyun. While she wasn’t as strong physically, she had perfect accuracy with a gun and an IQ of a whopping 205. Whe could obtain any and every piece of information on anything and everything in the world; a human encyclopedia. If there’s a way Jessica can defeat Miyoung no problem, Seohyun is sure to know it.

She walks over to intel and sees Seohyun in front of several computers. She seems tense, pounding away at the keyboard. When she finally stopped and sensed Jessica’s presence, she stood up and stretched her arms.

“Hey, Sica. What brings you in?”

“I need information on Hwang Miyoung. Give me all that you know.”

“Gotcha.”

Seohyun then walked to another corner of the room, where dozens of metal cabinets were at. After some searching, she pulled out a folder containing Miyoung’s files.

“Here you are.” She pulled out a couple of pages from the folder and handed them to Jessica.

“Thanks.”

“Let me know if you need anything else.”

‘Of course.”

Jessica left and looked through the files as she walked down the hall.

“Hwang Miyoung. Age: 118 Rank:Royal.”

Jessica’s eyes widened when she saw the word. “A royal….?!” She whispered.

She had never faced a Royal before. She had heard that they were extremely powerful and dangerous, that it was impossible to ill one.

Jessica is starting to worry. She’s afraid that she couldn’t make it after all.

She then looked back down and continued reading.

“Defeated 100 Yakuza members and survived without a scratch.”

Jessica covered , trying not to scream.

100?!”

Jessica gulped as she continued reading.

“Possesses inhuman speed, nearly impossible to catch or trap. Said to have strong hypnotic powers. Do NOT look at her in the eyes.”

Jessica looked away from the files. Now, she was feeling nervous about the mission. She had never thought she was going to go up against to vampire as fierce and powerful as , let alone a Royal. She looked at her gun, reading an engraving etched in the side.

“Even the darkest hearts can be saved by the light.”

She developed a serious look on her face as she held the gun close and thought back to that night, the moment she decided to become a hunter. It was the night she lost her lover. Someone she had loved her whole life, and she had lost him to the very vampires that he hated more than anything.

I won’t forgive the vampires… A hunter’s job is to exterminate all vampires… I’ll eliminate them, every last one…”

“Jessica?”

Jessica then looked up and saw Yuri and Taeyeon looking at her.

“The sun’s gone down already. You ready to go?”

She stood up. “Yeah… I’m ready.”

………………………………

Once it was dark, Jessica started the search for the Hwang. She went to the scene by motorbike. “Scene” isn’t the right way to put it, for it’s just a place where the yakuza usually roam around at night, smoking and gambling and doing heaven knows what. She began searching the city, looking for any strange activity occurring.

Jessica parked her bike somewhere further from the place and covered it, in case someone noticed it and alert the others. As an experienced hunter, she knew better than let her guard down. She went in the direction of the docks, it was empty except for a couple of boats floating on the water.

Suddenly, she heard something. Her head sharply turned in the direction of the sound, trying to find who, or what, was causing it.

“Who’s there?” She called out.

Hot blood in a frail body.”

Taking her gun out of its holster, she crept towards the source of the sound. She pointed the gun, searching for what could’ve been making the sound, when she saw a pair glowing red orbs shinin in the darkness.

“Vampire…!”

For you, there is no tomorrow.”

“Vampire… I’ll kill you!”

Just then, a gust of wind blew by and the orbs were gone. She felt a strong presence behind her that sent chills down her spine. She slowly turned around, coming face to face with the very vampire herself, Hwang Miyoung.

“You…!”

Miyoung continued. “You have come to kill me?”

She disappeared again and Jessica could hear her voice in her ears.

You dare challenge a Royal?”

Just then, that same chill came as Miyoung whispered coldly in her ear.

“Foolish human.”

Jessica aimed her gun and shot a bullet, but Miyoung was gone again. Jessica looked around blindly in the darkness.

“Where are you…?! Come out, Hwang!”

“I’m over here.”

Miyoung appeared to her left. Jessica shot another round, but Miyoung was gone.

“Behind you.”

Jessica turned around and shot another bullet, but still, the vampire was nowhere to be seen.

Round after round, Jessica shot and missed. Soon, her gun was emptied.

“Damn it!” Jessica put her gun back and pulled out her dagger. It was made of the hardest steel mixed with silver, which was deadly to the touch of a vampire. On the blade was curved the initials “J.S” It was a gift from her father.

She held out the blade, slashing it whenever she saw a chance to strike. Each time she saw those red eyes, she’d attack, but miss as she’d disappeared the very second after.

The game of cat and mouse continued for an hour. Jessica was starting to grow weak and was running out of breath. She could feel her heart pounding in her ears because she had used up so much of her stamina from fighting. She fell to her knees, trying to catch her breath.

She suddenly froze, for she felt cold hand cupping her neck from behind. Her body couldn’t move and she wanted to scream, but couldn’t find her the strength.

This is it then? I’m going to die?” Jessica closed her eyes.

She then felt a sharp pain as the vampire bit into her neck and started drinking her blood. Jessica began to struggle, trying to break free from Miyoung’s grip. However, the next moment, she fell limp. She was hopelessly trapped as Miyoung continued to drink her blood.

Her vision blurred as she felt her body turn cold and she passed out.

 

to be continue