Time

Hellbringers

 

 

This was the the Union’s headquarter. The Rebel used to call this place their ‘lair’, simply because it was guarded so tightly not even a mouse could enter safely. This eight-stories laboratory was almost a haven of its own, too big to be called a building, and yet, too small to be a city. They had everything inside, even a three-hectares plantation and green houses, a lane to fit an A380, and a small twin reservoirs for nature reservation. The top floors were private and restricted to the high-ranking officials and honoured guests. Fifth floor was our compound, shared by all thirteen of us. Two floors below were for other recruits. And the rest were still in repair, courtesy to my disastrous escape.

It had been a week of peace since then. Lay told the female doctor in charge, Jane Lee, that I needed a few days to recuperate, hence the lack of disturbance. When the General issued the Order to have me joined the team with his boys, no one could defy, even the young Lieutenant whose blood was boiling in rage. He was probably regretting his action with his broken legs now, given that his disobedience to the Order had caused so much dissatisfaction to the stern and rule-stricken General. Even the head doctor was confined in her room for three days and three nights – a leniency in comparison to Key’s punishment.

“Do you know what the General looks like? Does he actually hold a military badge?” I grew curious of the man himself, so I asked Tao as I sat in front of him in the cafeteria for breakfast. It was much harder to get closer to the others. Kris was too quiet. Sehun was almost always nowhere to be found. Luhan preferred to be surrounded by people he knew well, which meant that although it wasn’t verbally spoken, he would grow extremely uncomfortable whenever I tried to approach him. Suho was in a mission with Baekhyun and Chen. Kai was actually pretty fun to be around, but he didn’t like going out of the compound. Each to their own eccentric characteristics.

Being a Transcendental, it was almost a given that everyone was much more seclusive than normal human. We grew up believing we were strange. Some were raised as a freak, others outcasted early on from the society they lived in. Almost no one grew up in a loving, attentive household that assured them these abilities were God-given. Everyone thought it was a mistake until told otherwise, especially for those whose powers couldn’t be concealed, such as the elemental-benders. They were usually the earliest recruits to the organisation, because their records were visible. The most common case was setting their house on fire, poisoning others without actually wanting to do it, electrocuting someone or creating natural disasters wherever they were.

“Not really. Only Suho. He’s always the one giving the Orders to us,” Tao munched on his muffin and let his dark eyes drifted around room in search for something interesting. Being the only late-risers of the team, we had breakfast at 10 a.m. when everyone else had gone to training room. “Many rumours circulate around about who he is, but it’s best not to talk when his eyes and ears are everywhere. You never know who will report to him. It might be you, it might be me. He’s a dangerous man. Not to be trifled around. Killed like it’s nobody’s business. Like he actually can’t live without it.”

“Now, I’m curious,” I said and stabbed my fork onto the mashed potatoes. When there was nothing much to do, the mind started becoming more and more active, either by overthinking things or creating problems on its own. I remembered having the same curiosity when I arrived in the Camp of the Gifted five years ago until they took it all away from me – they took my entire person away and never gave it back. “Reckon we can sneak into his office just to steal a glance?”

Tao laughed, “You know, I really like the way your brain works, but no.” I gave him a look, and he immediately put up a rejecting gesture with a smirk. “Not because it is risky, hell, I love risky. But it’s not practical at all. First, we don’t know his face, his name, or any of his information at all. Second, he doesn’t have an office, and even if he does, we don’t know where he is. Don’t you understand, Sera? People who have such powerful position doesn’t expose themselves to anyone. They’re like ghosts. They’re real but no one can prove their existence. Like the Rebel’s leader. What’s up with you and that guy, by the way? Did he do something bad to you?”

“Did they tell you to find out?” I grinned and he smiled sheepishly. While Tao’s frankness was a little disturbing at times (mind you, his mouth had absolutely no filter whatsoever and his face betrayed his heart whenever he tried to lie), he was uncomfortable towards other people’s straightforward personality. He looked everywhere but my eyes and spoke in a lower voice, “Words get around, especially since you’re a new recruit and… a girl. You’re a girl, so that makes a difference. A lot of difference, actually.”

“Are you against feminism or does everyone here have a very outdated mindset?”

“It’s the first time a girl actually makes it to the main squad. Not because their abilities aren’t good enough – we select people based on their talents and nothing else. From what I’ve heard, the old General has been trying to form an Elite team for years – with specific abilities to aid him in his… I don't know how to describe that word. It started with Suho, then other members slowly came to join. And now, there’s you and thirteen of us. So there’s bound to be more interest placed on you because you're the only girl with an ability powerful enough to join this team. The question is: What makes you so special. What makes you different than the other talents. Things like that goes around in this place,” He explained.

Rumours. Words of the Elites have been circulating around, even though the existence only came to realisation a few years ago. There were few members with destructive abilities to go against hundreds and thousands. They were the Shadow of the clan, the Justice to this world, the supreme team of this organisation and their anchor. Even the Rebel had heard a word or two but never clashed directly against these people. I wasn’t exactly a hardcore feminist who found promoting feminism a mission of my life. But I was rather vexed to be underestimated because of my gender. All my life, people had been doubting me because of the physique I was born with. Leaning closer to his face, I gently asked, subtly putting on force to each word that I was about to say, “How about we turn this the other way ‘round, hm? I’ll ask you the same questions, Tao. What makes you so different? What makes you special?

Tao was light-headed, and he smiled foolishly as if he was flying in the clouds, tasting the sweetest honey and breathed in air into his lungs like it was his first time breathing. I had seen that expression too many times. Unbreakable compulsion, even with the smallest persuasion and force could be so powerful and dangerous. “I control time. I could decide the flow of the movement, whether I want to stop time or let it be.” He raised his hands, and everything stopped mid-air. I looked around and everyone else was stuck the way I was the night he kidnapped me. I grinned. So this was his ability. Time-manipulation. As soon as he finished replying, he woke up from his daze and lowered his hands. Everything resumed its pace.

Was that fun?

Kris’ frosty voice cut through the noise. He was six feet over and easily spotted because of his features and stature. Apparently, Tao wasn’t the last person to have his breakfast at such late hour. I raised my eyebrows challengingly and stared at him. He looked pissed – though he always did look pissed all the time. Those eyebrows were knotted that it was almost a line, and his haughty eyes swept over us in a condescending manner, like a King to his subjects, like we were nothing but peasants in his eyes. Tao glanced at me and Kris, before sighing and shook his head, whispering so softly I almost lost him somewhere in the middle, “Be careful. Do not mess with this man.”

“You want to know one thing about me, Tao?” I grinned at him again in delight before I fixed my gaze at the man coming over with all his glory and whatnot. Tao was curious, so he leaned closer to the table to listen, all the while following the direction of my gaze anxiously. Tao knew when to have fun, and when to cross the line, but he hated being on the opposite side of Kris. And Kris hated people who broke rules. He felt the need to teach them a little morality and manner. “Trouble follows me wherever I go. You know why? Because I am trouble.”

* * *

“She sure has guts,” Suho remarked with a chuckle. He was clearly in a good mood today, returning from his mission within a week without a single scratch. The trip back from Bhutan was supposed to tire him out, but he had grown used to long flights and bumpy journeys. What could one trip do to diminish his interest to the fight in front of him? Chen was quick to join the observation, a light smile gracing his face in a slow bloom. Kai stuck his head in and smirked merrily, “I’ve told you. Girls like her have fiery temperament. They don’t like being challenged or caged.”

“You’re sure one to talk of such, Kai,” NR-08, Chanyeol, the red-haired giant who stood tall at six feet and all muscles, teased the younger guy. His eyes were an odd combination of colours – green pupils with a strike of red in the middle like a slit. He hadn’t talked to the new girl at all since the introduction, but he was interested to see the fight between her and Kris. Although the later wasn’t exactly a popular choice for external mission, (hence his hidden abilities that not many knew about) Kris was not one to screw around. He wasn’t brutal like Baekhyun, deadly like Sehun, or fearsome like Luhan, but he was a force to be reckoned with and a frightening enemy in the battlefield. “A bet on her losing pitifully. A thousand dollar that she can’t get up after.”

“She can get up, but lose anyway. That’s my bet,” NR-01 Xiumin chirped in. As the eldest and the youngest-looking man of the team, Xiumin rarely talked and always stood by the side. Kai laughed and waited for Suho and Chen to raise their stakes, but none of the two spoke up. Chen was more interested in the battle than the bet, and Suho pretentiously watched on as he ignored the stares of the men. It was Luhan, however, who chuckled and told them softly, “I am betting on her victory. One thousand dollar. Another thousand that she’s going to kick your asses if she knows about this bet.”

“I would like to join the bet, too.”

Sehun was the last one to arrive in the cafeteria, but his attention was immediately drawn to the girl on the bench and long table against Kris. He didn’t need to do much probing to know that they had somehow pissed each other off, judging from the ugly expressions on their faces. Kai stared at him wide-eyed. “I am betting two-thousand dollars, just like Luhan. But my bet is that the match will be withdrawn in the middle. No winning and no losing. All’s fair and well.”

“Since Sehun is betting, shouldn’t you say something?” Kai gave Suho a very pointed look. Suho’s eyes were bright when he looked over, but there was a little bit of impatience corrupting the pair of dark orbs, swallowing him whole, and Kai shrank back at the moment. Suho’s temperament had always been rather odd, sometimes friendly and other times unreadable. Even the Head of Lab and the Lieutenant yielded to him, and more so than others was the Old General who was very fond of him. “Ten thousand dollars. There is no match.”

Chen let out a sigh. Had Suho not spoken, the situation would not be so tense. The man had never bet on something that he would lose, just as he never fought a battle that put him at a disadvantaged position. Sehun smiled. Indeed, if Suho had bet, who dared say a word against it? The man was no fortune-teller, but he was one hell of an observer. What he said, went. What he wanted, followed. He narrowed his eyes at the young lass in shirt and jeans, looking very much comfortable in her own skin. He rather admired her courage and her foolishness, but who knew. Maybe the Wheel of Fortune was indeed turning.

* * *

“It was a joke, Kris,” Tao quickly spoke. There was a trace of helplessness in his eyes that darted back to me, asking silently to explain when all I wanted to do was watch. Unfortunately, even though my ability was a rarity, I had no physical defense at all. Other than hitting the gym occasionally, I never bothered learning any martial arts. I never needed one. Kris’ eyes were icy cold, planted firmly on the both of us, as he finally opened his mouth and talked, almost too calmly for my liking, “Explain.”

It was apparent that even in this Transcendental-invested space, there was a rule not to use our ability unless it was for training purpose. Of course, a war or an invasion was exception. They had to be extremely careful with exposure to avoid outbreak of news to unwanted parties or breaking any of the Union's property. And Tao and I had breached about four our five rules by exposing ours in public areas, although his was much more obvious than mine. I looked at Kris with eyes as innocent as I possibly could and lazily told him, cutting off Tao’s attempt of rescuing us from this demon’s wrath, “It’s just once, Mr. Rules-and-Regulations. And besides, our abilities aren’t ones to be captured with evidences.”

“That’s no excuse, Jung Sera,” was the longest sentence anyone had heard from the one and only Kris. Suho was starting to suspect that he had problems with speech, but today, I proved him wrong. He obviously knew how to talk but chose to be extremely savvy with his words. There was, of course, exceptions in everything. “You broke the rules, so there should be a punishment for you two. We are not lawless. Everything here operates smoothly because of the strict rules that the Union impose on us.”

Tao’s jaws were wide open and he didn’t bother stepping away. Kris was close now, the only obstacle between us was this oriental-looking man with heavy bags under his eyes, who refused to budge despite knowing fully well the tension in the room. I burst out laughing at their silent telepathy and grabbed Tao by his shoulder and forced him to move away so I could stand face-to-face against Kris. “What kind of punishment should I face, Kris?” He twitched upon hearing the sound of his name escaping my mouth loosely. If he hated it, then he was good at hiding it. “I’ve lived half a decade breaking every rules I came to know about. Why should I comply now?”

Ge, she’s new here. I’ll tell her,” Tao tried to reason, but turned silent when Kris shot him daggers with a glance. He grabbed me by the chin, so fast that I couldn’t avoid it even if I wanted to. His grip was tight and painful. Suho shook his head in amusement. Of everyone in the Twelve, Kris was indeed, the least likely to be gentle to the fairer gender. I stared at him defiantly, expecting him to scold me for being rude and loud, but all he did was look at me carefully as if he was inspecting goods to sell. His almond-shaped eyes looked so much like a phoenix painting – sharp and cold. “The two of you are truly alike to each other. It’s not even funny anymore.”

Thus, he let me go without so much as a fight, leaving everyone else dumbfounded as he walked to another table without creating a fuss. Suho was supposed to be the odd one with his unpredictability, not Kris. I was perplexed by the words that he told me, particularly on the part where I was supposed to look like someone else. I glanced at Tao in confusion, knowing that Kris had purposefully said so with the intention of keeping the conversation to two. No one else was to know. I strutted over and sat in front of him as he ate his cereal in silence, eyes mocking me even with his lips shut. “What did you just say? Who do I look like?”

But Kris was not one to talk. “You heard it. I’m never repeating myself.”

All his anger seemed to have disappeared as he looked in contempt. Knowing that he knew something I didn’t gave him a sense of achievement – or at least, that was what his smug smile looked like; superior and annoyingly proud. It was so strange that just a moment ago, we were about to have a huge fight in the cafeteria over the rules and now, he was eating with such composure that I figured our arguments before must have been a piece of my imagination. Except that everyone else was a witness and they, too, were as stunned as I was, if not more. Being the closest to Kris, even Tao was baffled that he suddenly halted when he had clearly expecting something more explosive. Though Kris might not be gentle, he got agitated easily when people talked back to him.

“Is that Kris the same Kris that we know of? Perhaps he’s been switched off by some magic spell, or we’re seeing his exact clone, or it’s his soul that’s swapped with one of Kris Jenner’s. That’s freaky,” Xiumin couldn’t believe it. Five years of acquaintance and Kris was still the same mystery he was on the first day they met. Suho smiled slightly, knowing that he had won the bet with his absurd prediction. But such a small amount was nothing to him anyway, and he was about to leave after dropping by to check on everyone else. The end of this commotion gave him the right moment to be excused. “Of course he is. Now pay up the money, three of you. A loss is still a loss.”

Chanyeol groaned but said nothing more. Luhan’s lips formed a thin line and his eyes narrowed as he watched Suho disappeared through the door and into nowhere. Just as he thought the days would be boring, he never expected that the arrival of one new recruit would change just about everything.

* * *

The Old General wasn’t exactly old by the standard. He was in his late forties, still very fit and young-looking, with a towering height and domineering aura. He pushed his chair around when the knob was turned and the door opened, revealing a youth with his radiant smile, looking as suave as ever. The two of them exchanged looks and greeted each other politely, “General.” And the General in turn, called his first name unabashedly, showing clear favouritism towards this young man. Behind him, Jane was frowning. Suho had never showed much respect towards other people as he did to the Old General. But she knew when to shut to keep her job. After all, she wasn’t here to serve military order. “How was the mission in Bhutan? Have you ceased the rebellion and sent more men to ensure the protection of the Four Clans?”

“It is as you requested, General,” Suho replied calmly. He felt a bit distressed at the moment as he secretly took notes of the General’s features and expression. To have such a powerful organisation in the palm of his hand was quite possibly his lifetime achievement. Though the Union was not publicly known, it had a reputation amongst the world's leaders. They were the government’s double-edged sword. It was a protector as it was the destroyer. “There seems to be an involvement this time, although it wasn’t conducted directly.”

“Has the Rebel made any movement in any other places?”

“Not yet,” Suho stated. He looked at his calloused hands joined together and felt a little dull inside. Fights, bloods, wars, violence – those words had long numbed him from guilt, regret, and pain. He knew that this position meant forsaking all the humane emotion he had. The only time he allowed them to come back was in his dreams, in the forms of shapeless nightmares that woke him up at nights. His mind was restless and his heart was stone-cold. They were no longer communicating with each other. He blinked away the distraction and asked, “Should we challenge them directly, General?”

“It’s too hasty to do that now,” The General was simply bidding his time. He unconsciously reached out to touch the hem of his shirt, a habit he found hard to kill. “We should wait until the girl’s loyalty is fully ours. Then we could make a move. Her ability would be proven very useful in our fight against the Rebel. There are twelve of you, Joonmyun. I believe you can pull the string to make it happen. And while you’re waiting, there’s something I want you to do. The President of China is visiting Mexico next week in a private talk. Our duty is to ensure their safety and that the meeting goes smoothly without any disturbance. I want you to bring the girl and a few others with you. Test her to see her capability and where her heart lies.”