Goodnight

Universe Special Gift

There was no sound around Marie, a void of nothingness with no beginning or end. Quite similar to a black hole, she thought. And, in it, danced the butterflies. 

They slipped in from a navy blue door that gave onto a maze of little screens and on them, she recognized her memories. There was her first time at the zoo, the day she dropped ice cream all over her birthday dress, her father teaching her how to ride a bicycle... It had been too overwhelming so she returned. Seeing her past now would be pointless; Raina's plan had already begun after all. Why was the door still open then?

"What are you doing here?" asked a little voice, taking her by surprise. It belonged to a little girl, standing on the opposite side of the gap. A little white dress stained with chocolate stains. She was glowing, not from the sparkling beads of her attire but from something else. It was nothing like Marie had seen before; as crazy as it sounds, the light looked like it was emanating from within her. And that seemed to be driving the butterflies away. "Why are you here? Will you eat us too?"

"Eat you?"

"Then, will you help him? He is fading faster than us."

"Who is he?"

"Suho oppa."

The name rung a bell in Mary's head but she could not pinpoint why or how. It was like singing the lyrics to a song whose title you can't remember. Just like that, she knew that, whoever he was, was important to her.

"Where is he right now?"

"In the youth department. But we can't reach him. You can."

"I can?"

"Yes. You're the only one who can," she said and the door creaked a little right after as if to highlight the severity of the situation. Various thoughts invaded Marie's mind but it was her heart, suddenly pounding at her ribs, that had her getting up. Immediately the butterflies rushed to her, creating a barrier, and she screeched, shocked.

"Take my hand." said the girl immediately, opening the door wider. "Hurry!"

Marie did not give herself a moment to think and blindly pushed her hand forward, letting the girl find her. A long second of uncertainty and fear that lost itself the moment warmth spread through her. And at that moment, she realized who the little girl was. It felt like a miracle; the butterflies instantly scattering away. But not too far away, wings buzzing menacingly against the walls instead.

"Let's go."

And so they went, entering the maze of her memories. One road led to another and another, a never-ending cycle where footsteps easily blend with one another.

Marie hung her head low as she walked, counting the steps in her head. One, two three... The numbers went in her head. All of this was a part of her, even the girl with her face. She could understand that as she walked, feeling the energy of her emotions pouring from the screens. The anger, regret, joy, loneliness... The events that had made her, her. But all she felt now was sadness and doubt... How to explain it? The more she saw them, the more she asked herself whether she had taken the right decision. After all, there is nothing more frightening than facing the deepest part of yourself, watching the crude reality of your choices and actions after running away from it all.

So they walked, hand in hand, with the butterflies watching. And with them, other people watched too. Marie could sense their presence in the dark, eyes peeping at her through the shadows. And their silent voices drowned her in regrets, though she could not really tell what she was supposed to repent for.

"They're scared." explained the little girl, hurrying her steps. "We all are."

"Why?"

"It might be the end."

She suddenly pulled to a stop, index pointing at a screen far ahead. At first glance, nothing seemed odd about it but for the occasional wavering image. In it, Marie could see the moon, in all its elegance, shining through a window. It was an exquisite sight cursed with a touch of tragedy; it brought tears to her eyes. Nothing could have prepared her though for what she was about to see next...

"Suho!"

The name fell past her lips in a whisper and the tears escaped on their own will. Had she not yet awoken from her dream? These memories... Her mind... It all confused her.

"I am sorry. I have to do this." she heard him say in her mind and it no longer felt like she was watching from afar.

His eyes were on hers, a hidden message in the intensity of his gaze. His expression said it all: he was hurting. And as silly as it might sound, she could feel it. Marie wished she could ease away the creases at his eyes, darkening from tiredness and sleeplessness. And the emptiness of his soul, so transparent that she feared it would break at her touch.

"It's okay," she heard herself say, which confused her even more. How did she know Suho so personally and what was he apologizing for? Nothing was making sense... "There is no other choice. I understand it."

The image got momentarily blurry until a hand passed over her eyes. She was crying... Why?

"I tried to find another way. The boys even helped. I swear I did! But-" he was rambling, she knew; trying to fight Time and convince himself that he was making the right choice. It was a lost battle and they both knew it.

"You don't have to explain," she replied, her voice cracking slightly. "I trust you, super leader hyung."

The only thing her attempt at humor did was to encourage his tears. And so he broke down, the man in him giving way to the little boy who usually hid. He cried and cried, letting go of the frustration, anger, and sadness. Never in her life had she seen him cry like this and it broke her too.

"I- I don't want y- you to die."

Six ordinary words that rushed out of his mouth, crushing her to dust. What had he meant? When did that happen? Was that really her memory or did she invent it? Could she-

"I- I don't want t- to lose you. I love you."

"I do-"

Just then, a group of butterfly swarmed over the screen until all Marie could see was a dark rectangle. She yelped in surprise, quickly pulled away by her own self. The latter only frowned at it, as if she had expected it. But before Marie could quench her curiosity, there was a piercing "Help!"

This had her partner react, eyes widening and lips trembling slightly. Her little piggy tails swayed left and right as she searched the surrounding with her eyes. It was like she was expecting a monster to appear from neither. She pushed Marie's back, her little hands weak but determined. "There's no time to waste."

There was another scream and this time she knew exactly whose it was; Suho's. And the next moment, she was running, the screen to screen racing by with her every step. Beads of sweat had dotted her face already and she screamed his name against the wind. Her while being wanted her to slow down but she stubbornly pushed against her limits, all because of a certain feeling in the pit of her heart. She ignored her lungs that were begging for air and her legs that felt like giving away because she didn't one to lose herself. So she searched with all her night and it was only then she realized how the butterflies were covering many of the screens. But why?

"Suho!" she yelled again, growing more anxious "Suho, where are you?"

"Here!"

The answer was faint, barely whisper, but nonetheless, she heard it. And so wasting no time, she ran towards the source. To be able to hear him again... to see him again... it made her hope a little.

She ended up getting more than assure had bargained for. Instead of open arms, a bright smile and sparkling eyes, she found a lifeless man in a pool of blood... Marie felt lightheaded as she went closer.

"Suho?"

He would not respond at first and his broad shoulders, rippling with scarred muscles, sagged awkwardly after every breath. The white shirt he was wearing was torn as if clawed by a ferocious beast. And through the light cloth bled his soul in a deep shade of red. If it were not for his painful groans or the bloody smile he gave her, Marie would have thought him dead.

"F-Finally calling me- argh- m-me b-by my name- Ah!"

His face scrunched up with pain and she hurried to his side. But what could she do? How could she help him? Her hand hesitantly laid on his, pressing tighter once she realized how cold he was. She would not allow herself to think it was the end; she had to do something. On the other hand, he silently watched her with hooded eyes, smiling despite the pain.

"What can I do?" she asked, looking at the open gushes that covered his body. The blood poured out of them like a river and gathered on the ground so quickly that she turned pale. Her mind told her that she had to stop it at all cost before it was too late, but her shaking digits did nothing but make him scream.

"I'm sorry- I don't know what to do!" The tears again let her eyes on their own accord, frustration piling up from being so helpless. His gaze was gentler now and she hated it; he was obviously trying to pacify her. What an irony!

"T-The butterflies." he somehow managed to say. "T-They eating y-your memories of m-me!"

###

(This segment may contain sensible images. Read at your own risks.) 

The old bridge of Sympthome Town was not an unknown place, at least for the young man with moon-like skin. Memories, both good and bad, filled this place even if the rest of the world had somehow forgotten. He himself had been avoiding it for the past two years, which perplexed him even more; why was Marie there?

Junmyeon kicked at the road pebbles, eyes taking in the wild scenery. Winter was on its way again; he could feel it in the air.

His hair was still wet from the late shower and he only had his pajamas on, which was not ideal for a midnight stroll... For over a year now, he had not seen her. To say that he missed her would be a huge understatement; it's just that then it had been the right thing to do.

The moon was full and shone beautifully in the starry sky, just like on that night. How long had it already? He had almost forgotten how painfully beautiful it could be. It's such a waste how you can't appreciate all the wonderful things by your side until it's too late.

The river was gently whispering to the town, telling the people to awaken from their slumber... At this rate, Junmyeon knew that Earth too would be lost.

His feet carried him to the center of the bridge where a young woman intensively stared at the water. She seemed lost in her own world, rendered deaf by voices in her head. He watched her with her wet hair flowing like silk; dark like a cup of coffee once he drew closer. Her skin was too pale and her body too slim, which made him pity her. But it was only when the wind left, with her face appearing, that he finally recognized who it was.

"Marie!"

He was so close and yet she did not hear him. Her once vibrant eyes looked so empty, dull and tired. So different from the Marie he had turned his back on... Junmyeon was taken aback.

"Marie!" he repeated, his tone growing in urgency. "Marie, what happened?" But his words met deaf ears.

He took note of the way she was dripping from head to toe, shivering slightly as a result. Had she fell into the water? Was she okay? So many questions but no answers. He really wanted to take her in his arms.

"Marie, please!" he finally dared, pulling her arm. She turned to him without so much of a change in expression and this terrified him more than anything. He could feel their connection pulsing through his veins, now realizing how faint it was. Something had happened! How had he missed it?

"Marie I swear if-"

But she suddenly pulled out of his grasp, cutting him short. Her steps were heavy as she neared the edge. And before Junmyeon could even utter a word, she was falling.

"Marie!"

There was no time to think; Junmyeon launched himself after her, eyes glowing blue as he called onto the rushing waters. He had to save her!

But instead of rising water ribbons, the river suddenly opened up, light pouring out of what looked like a hole; he had accidentally opened a portal. And there was nothing he could do, once he saw Marie's body disappearing into the light, but to follow her. So... He embraced it.

Not far from the scene flew a black butterfly. It swirled around the hole, flying neither too close nor too far. It stayed around until the light faded and the river regained its shape, all traces of the strange events disappearing. Then the butterfly dashed away, flying across the abandoned land as well as the still awake houses. It flapped its wings against the wind and crossed the forest, not stopping once. And it would not do so till it reached a small cottage, lost in the middle of the woods. There, a small woman sat cross-legged on a floating map, staring forward at the darkness. Her black hair curled at the base of her neck and a silver chain hung over her black dress. If it had not been for the scar running across her left eye, she could have been called beautiful... The days have however changed.

The butterfly gracefully flew towards her, spreading its wings again her tanned skin impatiently. The two were quite an unusual sight under the moonlight, frozen, or so it would seem, for a moment.

"I see."

And this was how it all began... a world without EXO.