Episode One

The Sly Performing Arts Student
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Episode One

Irene Bae

 

If there was one thing that could comfort me, it was only the rain.

 

“Due to some technical difficulties, the train will be delayed by ten minutes. We ask for your apology for the inconvenience caused. Please have a great day.”

 

The sound of honks from the road, the people walking to and fro, speaking in riddles in my head… I didn’t know where I was that moment, at least where my heart is.

I was standing by the doors on the last cab, looking through the glass windows that were unclear because of the fog and strong downpour. The train was put into a stop, and so is my trail of thinking. Where was I?

I glanced at my cellphone, reading the empty message of my boyfriend at that time who was asking where I was. I didn’t reply, couldn’t. Perhaps, I know where I was… I was in middle of nowhere… where am I going? I don’t know.

It’s not like he ever cared about me anyway. He doesn’t like me. He only likes my looks, likes how we look perfect together. I don’t love him. I-I…

Soon, I felt the train started moving again. I watched as the scenery changed right before me. The setting sun was almost invisible because of the clouds. The rain drops dotting the glass in waves, that it was hard for me to see the lights around. The night was slowly befalling. The darkness slowly irking in my heart.

 

“We have now reached Yongsan Station.”

 

I waited for the doors to open, and then I walk out. I didn’t dare bring my umbrella, anything to protect me from the rain outside of the station. I let each drop soak wet my clothes. I was probably crazy, but in reality, it was the sadness that is killing me.

Loneliness kills a person slowly… maybe I was one of the unlucky victims.

 

“Where is that girl going?”

“She’s totally drenched in rain. Should we go and help her?”

“She seems to be lost… Do you think she has a family around?”

“Miss, the red lights are still on! Don’t cross the street--!”

 

I didn’t hear any of that. No, actually I did. I heard it, the voices muffling together until I couldn’t comprehend what they were saying. I was mentally unstable, I know that. What was I doing? What?

 

“Irene-ssi!”

 

Before I could walk aimlessly further, I felt something warm wrapped in my wrist. Whoever that person was, she pulled me back to her arms. She didn’t hug me, no, not even an embrace. She kept a distance, her eyes finally locking with mine. I couldn’t make out the stranger’s features, despite the fact that she was a girl. Her black hoodie kept most of her face hidden away.

 

“What are you doing, miss? You’re going to get yourself killed.”

 

There was no worry in her voice. No, it just sound like she’s saying something out of the blue, a simple fact.

I didn’t know how to react. I don’t know the stranger. I didn’t plan on knowing her. I just want to get away. Run as fast as I could, away from everyone else.

But… but…

Her eyes, there was something in it. Very different than the people I’ve ever worked with.

Her words were bland and nothing, but her eyes speak a sense of concern, the most concern she had every felt directed at me. Her hands felt warm, comforting even.

Who was this stranger? How did she know who I was?

I kept asking myself that.

 

“I guess we should go look for shelter first.” The stranger in that black rain jacket still held my wrist, leading me through the wet streets. I didn’t know where we’re going. My sight was just black, lost, and she was blending well with the color. I can’t almost see her.

 

“Irene-ssi…”

 

She voiced out again, despite the lack of feeling. She was shivering from the cold. The little shed she found was deserted, leaving the two of us alone. Around us were assortment of trees and plants. Probably we’re in a park. The rain didn’t seem as strong as before an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter