Chapter I

Tae Hyung

TAEHYUNG’S POINT OF VIEW

After my mother died of cancer, it has always been just my father and I. But never once did I feel lonely without the presence of a mother. My father’s love fills that hole and I am hoping my love does the same for him too. But maybe the love he needs is the romantic one – the love that I am not capable of offering.

THIRD PERSON POINT OF VIEW

[Kim Residence]

Taehyung tasted the beef stew that he cooked and it tasted just fine.

“Dad, can you come here for a second?” Taehyung called.

His father went to the kitchen wearing a suit. Taehyung observed his father’s outfit and said, “Are you attending the red carpet, dad?”

Mr. Kim posed. “I look like a model, don’t I? I need to dress to kill.”

Taehyung chuckled. “Are you going to kill her sons?”

“Let me rephrase that. I need to dress to impress. So what did you call me for?” Mr. Kim asked.

Taehyung turned off the stove and scooped a spoonful of the stew. He brought it to his father and Mr. Kim tasted it.

“Will they like this?” Taehyung asked.

“Of course. This is beyond the level of a five-star restaurant, Tae.”

“Thanks, dad. Umm… Can you help me set the plates?”

“Sure. I’ll take care of the rice too. Just keep your focus on your delicious stew,” Mr. Kim said while he took the plates out from the cupboard.

** [K Airport]

It was about 5:00 PM when the Kim family arrived in Seoul.

“Hurry up, boys. Let’s not make them wait,” their mother said. In response, the three increased their walking pace.

** [Kim Residence]

Taehyung and his father were sitting in the living room, waiting for their ‘guests’ to arrive.

Mr. Kim turned to his son and asked, “Do I look good, Tae?”

Taehyung nodded. “How about me, dad? Do I look decent?”

“Yes, you do.”

The two were really nervous, and they became even more nervous when the doorbell rang.

“They’re here,” Taehyung said.

Mr. Kim stood up. “I’ll get it.”

Taehyung mouthed fighting to his father. Mr. Kim inhaled a large amount of oxygen and mentally told himself that he could do it.

Mr. Kim opened the door and there he saw the second woman that made his heart beat fast.

“Jonghyun, I missed you,” the woman said as she hugged Mr. Kim.

Jonghyun chuckled and hugged her back. “I missed you too, Taeyeon.”

The couple broke the hug.

“Why don’t come in and have a seat? Travelling from Japan to South Korea must be really tiring,” Jonghyun said.

“It was really tiring, Jonghyun,” Taeyeon said while she ushered her sons in. “Can you help me with this?” Taeyeon pointed to the biggest bag beside her.

“I bet this bag is the reason why it was really tiring.”

“Bingo! And because you guessed correctly, you get another hug from me.” Taeyeon once again pulled Jonghyun to her embrace.

Taehyung smiled while looking at the scene in front of him. Finally, dad’s not faking his happiness, he thought.

Three pairs of eyes were staring at Taehyung.

Jonghyun and Taeyeon walked to where the boys are.

“Taehyung, you already know me, right?” Taeyeon said as he sat across Taehyung.

Taehyung nodded.

“But you haven’t met my sons yet. They weren’t able to attend our wedding and you weren’t able to go with your father when he visited us last time. So I’d like you to meet my sons.” Taeyeon turned to her children and signaled for them to start introducing themselves.

“My name is Kim Jungkook and I’m 6 years old,” the youngest said. After his introduction, he immediately buried his face in his brother’s side.

The said brother introduced himself next. “I’m Kim Jimin and I’m in 8th grade,” he said monotonously showing how uninterested he was in the current situation.

“Hello. I’m Seokjin but I prefer to be called Jin. I’m the oldest of the three but with you here, I’m the second oldest now. And I’m in 12th grade. Nice to meet you, hyung.” Jin’s voice was cheery and he was smiling. But Taehyung saw there was a distance in Jin’s eyes.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you guys. I’m Kim Taehyung and I’m in my 3rd year of college. I hope we all get along,” Taehyung said.

Taeyeon clapped her hands. “Congratulations to the new brothers! To celebrate this, let’s go eat. Jonghyun texted me a while ago that Taehyung cooked a delicious beef stew for us. I can’t wait to taste it.”

** [Dining Room]

“The smell is getting me already,” Taeyeon said.

Jonghyun and Taeyeon were sitting across each other. Taehyung and Jin sat beside each other across Jimin and Jungkook.

“Dig in, guys,” Jonghyun said.

Taehyung stood up from his seat. “I’ll go get the juice.”

Taehyung walked towards the refrigerator and brought out the pitcher.

“This is really delicious, Taehyung. You can beat even Gordon Ramsay with this dish,” Taeyeon remarked.

“That’s exaggerating, mom.” Taehyung poured juice on their cups.

Taeyeon smiled. “I really like it when you call me mom.” She turned to her sons. “Boys, why aren’t you eating yet?”

“We ate so much in the airplane, mom. We’re full,” Jin explained.

“Well, too bad for you. You’re missing a whole new world.”

Taehyung was really happy. He was familiar with Cinderella’s story and hated the idea of having a stepmother. But when he met Taeyeon, he was willing to become Cinderella.

“Right. Taeyeon, did you already tell your sons about it?” Jonghyun asked.

Taeyeon shook her head.

“I haven’t told Taehyun too. So would you mind me breaking the news right now?”

“Go ahead.”

Jonghyun cleared his throat. “So uh, Taeyeon and I will be going to France tomorrow, and we’ve already booked our tickets. Are you okay with that?”

“Is it a honeymoon trip, dad?” Taehyung teased.

Taeyeon chuckled and said, “Unfortunately, you’re wrong Taehyung. We’re going there to visit my parents.”

“Oh. Well, if that’s the case then you two definitely have to go there. And maybe you’ll have a chance to spend the night together.” Taehyung teased them once again. “It’s okay for me but I’m not sure about them.”

“You guys agree to this, right? You don’t have to worry about anything because your hyung is here to take care of you,” Taeyeon said.

The three males nodded.