[2/2] He Moves Out

friends

PART 2 OF 2:
HE MOVES OUT

 

 

Friends should sleep in other beds.
And friends shouldn't kiss me like you do.
And I know that there's a limit to everything.
But my friends won't love me like you.
No, my friends won't love me like you do.
Oh, my friends will never love me like you.

 

— FRIENDS, Ed Sheeran

 

 

"How's job-hunting so far?" Seokmin inquires, munching on his weekly karaage. College food is grassy and stale on weekdays except Friday because it's the only day of the week where the school cook's actually sober and sane enough not to feed the paying students carabao grass and an almost-manure alternative. But that's just Minghao's favorite hunch and the most popular theory most students go with. Goodness knows what's really happening inside those kitchens. 

Fridays are Seokmin's favorite days because Japanese cuisine takes up more than half of the day's menu. They're basically Seokmin days where Seokmin sun rays are extra bright and everyone can get the privilege to soak in all its warmth by being the receiving end of his random hallway greetings and enthusiastic beaming. He's strangely famous for it, almost everyone they come across while walking along the corridors nod or smile back at Seokmin. 

"Do you even know them?" Minghao asked him once. 

Seokmin shrugged. "Not really, but does it matter? They smile back!"

Lately, Seokmin's been spending his lunch break with Minghao instead of his bestfriend and boyfriend, so the recent Fridays mean double the exposure to his UV rays.

It's a bit concerning. (Minghao cares for his skin and eyes.)

He asks him, squinting jokingly and ignoring his question. "Did you and Soonyoung fight?"

"What? No," Seokmin replies, eyes big. "Why would we?"

"You're spending time with me more. Is the world ending or am I secretly diagnosed with cancer and you're the only one who knows it?" Minghao teases, stuffing his face with the chicken.

Seokmin stops eating, looking sincerely offended. "I love spending time with you! I'm not just with you because Mingyu's hella busy and Soonyoung spends his breaks at the dance studio. I chose to be here with you, okay?"

"So that is why you're eating lunch with me? Because they're both busy?"

"Not entirely!" Seokmin protests then swallows his food. "But I like the cancer theory. Do you mind if I use it? I'll definitely use it."

Minghao chuckles and decides to let it go. Actually, the thought doesn't actually bother him. He can be Seokmin's second option to hang out with and he won't even bat an eye. Ever since they shared a room for years, Seokmin's company has been welcomed under most circumstances. He has unexpectedly become his silver lining in the sky especially after those issues with Mingyu in the past. Leave it to Seokmin to brighten his day through his jokes, through his very company. Sure, he laughs way too loud over the tiniest of things but it's uplifting and Minghao welcomes anything uplifting in his life.

Sure, he's a bit concerned about his eyes and skin. But he'd take a sunny Seokmin than no Seokmin at all.

"But really, are you still looking for a part-time job?"

"Yeah, I am but," But. "I should focus on studying more. A job can wait. There are more pressing matters, like college."

"Right," Seokmin eyes flash as if they're searching Minghao's face. He doesn't flinch however. He takes it straight on, even raising a questioning brow.

"Do you know when's Mingyu's birthday?"

"Huh?"

"April 6. Thought you should know."

"Okay." Minghao nods, realizing he didn't really know before. "Noted."

Seokmin squints at him and Minghao asks. "What?"

"How's the Spiderman Homecoming?" he asks back. "Soonyoung told me it has great reviews. Maybe I should take him to watch it this weekend. But I wanna know from someone who actually saw it."

"Ooh. That one's bomb," Minghao chirps. "It's got that Ultimate Spiderman vibes to it which I think is brilliant. Mingyu prefers the old Spidy franchise but to heck with him. It's a pretty hypocrite thing to say too because he was the one laughing his off most of . . ."

Minghao trails to a stop when a knowing smile blooms across Seokmin's face.

"What?" He frowns. "How did you know I watched it with . . ."

Mingyu.

"Oh, lucky guess," Seokmin sings. "You know what, I'm taking Soonyoung to watch it. You guys looked like you enjoyed it. That's good enough for me, I'm sold!"

Minghao doesn't like how the Seer-Mode Seokmin voice is starting to leak through his sunny smiles. It's tainting it in a way, and he doesn't like that one bit.

 

 

 

 

"I have to work extra shifts till the end of the month," Mingyu informs him over breakfast of eggs and toast. (The man is also irritatingly familiar with Western breakfast, it's so hateful how he's good at everything). "So that means no more beef stew on the weekends. Just until the extra shifts end. I'll be home later than usual."

Beef stew on weekends has become a thing now unintentionally. It's a bait to take Minghao's attention off Mingyu's unsuspecting supply of bananas, he knows it. At least, that's how he chooses to see it.

"That's sad," Minghao says, half-meaning it. As much as he likes to remind himself he dislikes Mingyu to the bones, he couldn't deny how much he adores his beef stew. And his rice cakes. His overall cooking. He likes it. "Isn't that too hard on yourself?"

Mingyu shrugs. "No choice. Main chef's down with liver cancer. We're looking for someone to cover him for a few months just until he recovers. Until then, me and the other part-timers will have to step up to cover for him."

"You're hiring?"

"Yeah, we're hiring bakers," he replies then smirks. "You make a mean ramen soup but I doubt your baking skills."

Minghao rolls his eyes. "Yeah, okay."

"But you know, you can't really fail ramen."

"I know, asshat. I get it."

Mingyu laughs like wind chimes, sharp and sometimes high-pitched. Minghao thinks it's a unique laugh to own, despite sounding a bit weird for a guy.

"Don't burn the apartment," is his usual reminder before he heads to the door.

"I don't fancy calling you at all, don't worry." Minghao snorts and sees him off, waving and muttering a quick, "Catch you later."

"If it isn't too much," Mingyu sheepishly says right before he leaves. "Take care of the pad for me."

That is a plea Minghao's willing to take on, despite already been doing it even before Mingyu tells him. After school or whenever he takes a break from studying, he makes a habit of tidying up a little by little the way Mingyu would've. He makes sure to dust the corners, in between the stacked albums and some of his books displayed, taking into consideration the amount of time Mingyu devotes to polishing the place himself despite his hectic schedule. Apparently, "taking care of the pad for him" involves a handful of laundry that Mingyu seems to appreciate the most when he caught him heave a huge sigh of relief as he pulls out a clean pair of socks from his drawer a few days ago.

Taking care of the pad is the least Minghao could've done in return for the food and shelter.

Extra shifts mean Minghao will have to take grocery into his own hands, too. And alone, which is a first because they always do it together. After he dresses to go out, he lists down all the usual things and all the usual brands Mingyu buy in front of the cupboards and reaches for just enough bills from Mingyu's home wallet—where he keeps his savings and emergency money. The taller has told him to do exactly this a few times before in case he needed to. He makes a mental note to jot down the exact amount of money he grabbed complete with the receipts to not give the taller a heart attack the next time he inspects his savings.

He's stepping out of the apartment when he sees the pregnant girl from his previous work, Suyeon, standing in front of the door. 

"Hey." Minghao blinks. "What are you doing here? How'd you get here?"

"Hello Minghao, nice to see you again," Suyeon bows a bit. "Seokmin told me you're staying here, um, at your boyfriend's I presume?"

Minghao's eyes bulges. "He's not. Mingyu's not—"

Darker pink dusts her already pink cheeks as she waves her hand, guiltily. "Oh! I'm sorry! I didn't mean to assume. Oh gosh. Did I make you uncomfortable? I probably did! I'm so sorry."

"That's fine. Uh, why don't you . . ." His eyes land on her belly. ". . . come in for a minute?"

"Oh. I won't be too long."

"No, I insist. Sit down for a bit."

He leads her inside and offers her a seat and some tea. She politely refuses the tea and asks for water instead. Suyeon looks extremely well with her cheeks full of life, a tint of pink on both cheeks. Pinker than they had been a few months ago, when she was just at the brink of losing everything, when she just lost everyone she ever cared for. Back when she had close to nothing. She's smiling genuinely now, it reaches the eyes. It's usually the universal sign of being okay.

"How are you?" Minghao asks, anyway.

"Great. Uh, I'm still there if that's what you’re asking but nothing's too hard on me there. I also signed up to this maternity package with all kinds of services before and after I give birth. I've been great and I, uh, I kinda got a boyfriend?" she chuckles shyly, probably not too sure if she should be telling this to him.

"That's good to know." He nods, meaning it. A good boyfriend might hold down one pillar for her. To keep her grounded. "From work?"

"Yeah." Suyeon blushes. "Um. Park Jimin."

"Ohh. That's good. At least I know he's not gonna bail on you when things get rough," Minghao comments. He hopes. He knows Jimin by name and face. He's a nice guy but honestly all he can really remember of him were his eye smiles and small hands. "So, what brings you here?"

"Actually I'm here to return the favor from a few months back," Suyeon says, still smiling. "I can't thank you enough really. And I can't sleep knowing I made you homeless."

Apparently, Seokmin has filled her in entirely. Minghao nods in understanding, maybe a bit embarrassed by the fact Suyeon knew he got kicked out from his apartment as well. Frankly, he can live on with his life without letting her know about it. "That's a lot of months of not getting any sleep. But you don't have to worry about me. I'm doing fine."

"I know but hear me out. You're gonna like this." Suyeon practically bounces in her seat. "I knew you still haven't found a part-time job yet, but there's a newly-opened convenience store nearby and maybe you'd like to work there? It's just around a corner from here. They're currently hiring."

Minghao blinks then slowly smiles. "Wait, really?"

"Yes!" she giggles. "I already bumped you up with a friend of mine there. All you have to do is go there personally, get a few things out of the way and then you get the job."

"That's great, Suyeon." Minghao says brightly, his chest bubbling with excitement. A job. Finally. "Thank you. But you didn't have to go all the way up here to tell me that. You should've called me or something."

"I owe you a lot. It's the least I can do," Suyeon replies, rubbing her belly thoughtfully then grimacing. "Um, I guess you do have a point . . . but climbing up the stairs is kind of an exercise too, right?"

"Please don't wear yourself off too much."

"Never!" she laughs then straightens up in her seat. "Um. Listen I have one more thing to ask of you."

"Yeah?"

"If you'd like, uh. Um. I'm due next year, on February. Would you like to, uh, be Hwayoung's godfather?"

He sees the familiar pleading in her eyes but it comes with a twinkle. A grateful twinkle. As if she's saying a kind of thank you that transcends words and she's not the only one saying it.

"Hwayoung is a pretty name." He smiles, his chest squeezing. "Sure, Suyeon. I'll be there."

For the first time in the few months, Minghao thinks maybe things didn't really turn out bad for him. Then he thinks ending up under Mingyu's roof isn't so bad too.

 

 

 

 

"I found a job," he says to Mingyu that night on the couch while pigging out on some nutella Minghao bought from the trip to the grocery.

Mingyu looks at him. "Yeah?"

"Yeah." He nods. "See that convenient store just around the corner?"

The taller let his eyes wander to the ceiling in fierce concentration. "Wonwoo's and Jeonghan's?"

"Yeah, that. I got accepted."

"That's great." Mingyu nods enthusiastically. Not the reaction Minghao expects. "That's really great!"

"Yeah." Minghao looks down at his nutella-covered spoon. "You know what that means right?"

"Sure I do," he replies. "That means more bananas and more jars of Nutella for us."

Minghao looks at him weirdly and Mingyu stares back for a few moments before raising a questioning brow. "What? Isn't that what it means?"

"No."

"Think about it." Mingyu shrugs then reaches for another jar of nutella, opening it with an effortless twist. He does everything that way. Effortless. Except maybe when coaxing Minghao to eat some meals with him when the latter had already eaten out with one of his friends from uni. Minghao prides himself on making things extra difficult for Mingyu. Mostly."Should you really move out at all when we can split the cost around here like you first suggested? Be practical. You can save money for that skateboard you're eyeing back at the mall."

The hair on his nape rises slightly. "You . . ."

"I've seen you, okay? You're probably fantasizing about every time you space out," Mingyu points out. "Anyway, think hard. You can get your skateboard no problem if you stay here."

To Minghao's exhausted brain, it seems like Mingyu's giving him reasons not to move out at all. The racing in his chest isn't such a good indication that it's a good thing though. It shouldn't be a good thing at all, really. He feels like it shouldn't. It feels wrong. They're not friends, right? They shouldn't be too comfortable with each other. They shouldn't be practical. They should be itching to get each other out of each other's hair as soon as possible. They shouldn't be even thinking about it. It isn't their way then, it shouldn't be now. It just isn't how Mingyu and Minghao works.

But ing of courseKoreanus tardus Kim Mingyu doesn't share his sentiments. And with Minghao's personal fading regard for the warning alarms going off in his brain as the idea sits with him, he feels like he couldn't adapt these kinds sentiments as well. He's got plenty of reasons, too. First, Mingyu's right about the skateboard. The moment his eyes laid on the blue and black display, he's got the hots for it. It'll only cost him around one month's pay if his calculations were correct, which will take longer time if he'll have to allocate his pay. The skateboard will imminently take the backseat over the basic necessities and goodness knows how much longer will it take for him to save up enough for it with his nonexistent self-discipline when it comes to spending money for food. Not to mention the rent, clothing, more food . . .

He couldn't find any more need to enumerate everything about how Mingyu's right. The first point is all the support he needs. 

"Think about the amount of pork bellies we can eat with both of salaries combined." Mingyu sighs dreamily, then the nutella from his spoon. "Right?"

Minghao swallows a lump in his throat and looks away. "Right. Exactly."

All the arguments he chose to listen from his brain is "It's gonna be awesome" and anything less than that is shoved far away to the back of his mind.

"Unless, you really want to move out. I'm not stopping you," Mingyu says nonchalantly, his eyes trained on the screen. 

Minghao fights back to double take at him, and just stare for as long as he could to point out there is definitely something wrong about what he said. He couldn't just take it back suddenly, not after feeding Minghao the picture of all the pork bellies and the skateboard. He struggles to keep himself at bay, to keep his hands to himself that'll mindlessly fly to the next pretty neck they can latch themselves to just out of spite. A pointed stare wouldn't hurt but it will be unreasonable. Mingyu's merely laying out the facts because he also thinks he knows Minghao. He also thinks they're not meant to stay at one place for a long period of time. He also thinks this has got to end, despite how good those pork bellies, clean socks and warm beds may sound to the both of them. 

Minghao doesn't risk a glance as he trains his eyes defiantly on the screen before him. 

"Do you realize you're being passive-aggressive right now?"

"I mean I'll understand." He feels Mingyu shrug. "But that skateboard's awfully nice, don't you think?"

Koreanus tardus. 

"Yeah, yeah it is."

A pause.

"I'll move out soon," Minghao announces, stiffly. 

Mingyu nods just as stiffly. "Yeah. Sure."

 

 

 

 

Wonwoo's and Jeonghan's is the perfect place to work. First, it stands only a few blocks from the apartment. Second, Wonwoo turns out to be Jun's Wonwoo but doesn't turn out to be anything he imagines him to be: he's a bit strained in a lot of ways sure, but handsome in a surprisingly loud way. It's a given Jun always went for the outstanding lookers who knew they were, but Wonwoo isn't anything he had went for in the past. His lack for eye contact and modest smiles had said more than enough about Jun's choice. It's not a choice made by the eyes alone. He had seen something more behind those round specs that made him stick around for almost a year now, far longer than any of his previous relationships. Minghao had instantly taken a liking towards his employer with a newfound respect. Back then, Jeon Wonwoo was just an icon for Jun's gushy love declarations. Now, he's become the real thing in Minghao's eyes, someone who has tamed the wild Wen Junhui and who deserves every respect he can get. (Despite sounding very corny.)

Third, both he and Jeonghan, the convenient store's managers, didn't have any regard for his previous work experience. Apparently, Suyeon's is the only recommendation they ever needed so it doesn't take long for Minghao to be a part of their five-person working staff along with a kid named Lee Chan, a tall, pretty girl named Kim Minkyung and a Choi Seungcheol who looks like a personal trainer rather than a convenient store worker.

Seungcheol surprisingly blushes when Jeonghan points it out loudly for Minghao the first day they all started working together. "Yeah, it's another sideline of mine."

"And for that," Jeonghan says aloud. "you're in charge of the heavy stuff. We can't have Minghao or Wonwoo crumbling down on us, right?"

While the rest of the men huddle around the personal trainer in interest, Minghao caught Minkyung crinkling her nose in mild distaste. She catches him staring and she shrugs in answer. "Not a fan of muscles. I always prefer dancers with S-line bodies."

Minghao dances, but he doesn't say it. Minkyung is drop-dead gorgeous, by far one of the prettiest girls he's ever seen but it strangely doesn't seem right to showcase himself to a girl. Chan dances too. Minghao recognizes him from a few dance workshops he went to in the past, and the kid recognizes him as well, walking up straight to him with a bright smile on his face.

"You're a friend of Soonyoung hyung, right?" he asks him brightly. "The Chinese B-Boy Master!"

"I do b-boy, yeah. But I'm not a master. I'm Minghao."

"Aw come on, don't be so modest. I've seen you. Nice to meet you, Minghao hyung and I'm Chan! I'm currently in Soonyoung hyung's dance squad. Wanna see us perform this weekend at the mall?"

For the next few days, Minghao has taken the afternoon shift after he gets off from school and has worked the entire day during weekends. The store work picks up smoothly and quickly over the course of days thanks to the combined employees' versatile personalities and the employers' overall amiability. Soon enough, Minghao finds himself looking forward to his shifts. It's a somewhat pressing addition to his schedule, being catapulted from the school straight to the store, but he manages. 

Suyeon visits him whenever he's around, buying a few vitamins and snacks for herself. They've also been exchanging texts ever since, just casual "how are you's" and updates on each other and the baby.

"My apartment is just nearby. I recently moved in with Jimin," she says as Minghao sweeps her goods for appraising. He usually takes over in front the register whenever Suyeon comes in to chat with him for a bit, to which Wonwoo graciously allows as he steps aside. Minghao makes sure the chats don't stretch for too long, even though Wonwoo doesn't seem to mind with the usual stack of books beside him. 

"I don't mean to pry but is that . . ." Minkyung asks him as soon as Suyeon steps out of the store.

"Ah. No. That's a friend," Minghao says.

Minkyung looks relieved, for some reason. "I thought that was your wife and you guys are expecting a kid."

"No. Not really. I don't have a wife." Minghao laughs. "I don't have anyone, really."

"Oh?" she asks curiously. "Then who're you texting with a silly smile on your face?"

He narrows his eyes at her. "Huh?"

"You do this," Minkyung says then holds up an imaginary phone with both of her hands and giggles comically before straightening up. "while you text. And I find it hard to believe you don't have anyone."

"I do not."

Minkyung rolls her eyes. "Okay. Fine. I won't pry. Anyways, old man Jeonghan told me we all should go out for a drink this weekend. You can bring anyone along if you like. It's on the bosses."

She walks to the storage room with her hips swaying and her steps stomping. Minkyung is pretty but it doesn't look like she's particularly attracted to anyone here nor vice versa, given the caliber of everyone else's visuals. Either she already has a boyfriend or she's gay and had secretly made everyone aware of it without Minghao knowing. Either way, it's none of his business. Minghao should probably stop staring before anyone catches him and mistakes it for something else. He goes back to his moping while scanning his brain for any particular moment wherein he giggled like a teenage girl while texting. He definitely doesn't do that. Maybe Minkyung was just making fun of him? And for the record, the only people who he bothers texting would be Seokmin, Suyeon and Mingyu. Sometimes Jun, but it doesn't seem right. (He sends Minghao random selcas and duck faces, which goes straight to his trash folder. Not the kind of content that can make him giggle, just no.) Nobody has said anything remotely funny to make him laugh or giggle except for all that memes and videos Mingyu sent him often . . . oh.

Minghao shakes his head and rubs the floor harder with the mop.

 

 

 

 

If Minghao had been a delusional guy, he'd think Mingyu's beguiling him not to move out. 

But he isn't. And he knows very well Mingyu doesn't like him enough to keep him around longer than he should. He's positive Mingyu even hates him, probably more than he hates Mingyu. In his eyes, he's just that poor Chinese kid who got thrown over to Korea by his parents, who wets the bed back in high school and who's still pathetic even until today. He knows it, it shows by the way his appraising eyes sweep over him, it shows by the way he grimaces whenever Minghao retorts something of a stronger point than his during arguments and it shows by the way Mingyu says his name. With oozing hate. With an underlying threat. Condescending. 

. Who is Minghao even trying to kid, himself? 

That's all true before the cupcakes.

It's the ing cupcakes. Everything became so much more complicated when the chocolate cupcakes came into the picture. 

"They're for you," Mingyu replies coolly when Minghao asks him, as if his answer is the cure to cancer. As if he's saved the world with those three words. 

"Why would I want your cupcakes?" Minghao gapes at the picture-perfect box of it, each piece the size of his fist. 

He shrugs and for the first time, his words aren't insulting back. "Maybe you'd want to taste them?"

Minghao looks at him blankly, awaiting for some sort of explanation. Heck, a good-old Mingyu-nasty-look would've been more than welcome. It'll give him all the assurance he needs at the moment, but he didn't even glare at him or anything. He remains sitting there from across the room, arms folded with a soft expression on his face. 

Mingyu and soft aren't meant to be in one sentence. It's never been a yes before. Even when he's sick, he was still spiteful. He always had a way to crawl into Minghao's nerves with his very words, with his mere staring. The lack of it makes Minghao desperate and his stomach lurch silently. 

He knows how to deal with the spiteful Mingyu. Not this oddly calm one who doesn't even sound like the Mingyu he knew. It's like living in an alternate universe where hate for Minghao doesn't exist in his book. It's kind of a sinking feeling, where you want the old universe back and at the same time, you don't. 

"Are you serious?" 

"Yeah."

"You made them for me?"

It comes out smoothly out of Mingyu's lips. "Yeah."

"For me?" He even points at himself this time. "Xu Minghao?"

"Yup. They're for Xu Minghao," Mingyu answers patiently. 

Minghao's head spins. He's not really buying it. "What do you want?"

"What do I want?"

"Yeah," the Chinese replies. "Why'd you make them for me, what do you want in return?"

"Nothing," the baker answers, expression still set. "They're for you. I made them because I want to."

But why. The words threaten their way past his lips but he seals them shut, fending off the awkwardness from conquering this situation entirely. But he wants to ask why. Why is he suddenly being so tame, so calm, so soft? What happened to the condescending tone of his voice? Why did he bake these cupcakes for him? Why did he even bother? Why for him

The answer scares Minghao as much as he wants to know so he shuts up, shuts the fridge gently and stays out the entire day. He goes back home (even that sounds wrong) after he's sure Mingyu had dozed off and he takes the couch, more adamant than ever to move out as soon as he can, before the atmosphere screws him up entirely and stops him from peeling himself off the alternate universe Kim Mingyu. Hopefully by tomorrow, the world will turn back to normal and Mingyu would be back to his normal easy-to-hate self just fine, making the cupcakes and the rest of his alternate universe Kim Mingyu antics some distant beautiful dreams he once had. 

Minghao wakes up feeling warmer than he was the night before and finds himself tucked snugly with a fresh, thick blanket draped all over his body instead of just his bomber jacket. He blinks his sleep away then groans loudly after it sunk in, arm over his face as he sneaks a treacherous smile behind it.

(Minghao lets himself be a delusional guy. Just for that day. He can fight these creeping feelings another time. But for now . . . )

 

 

  

 

He's on his lunch break when Suyeon visits him that day. She brings lunch packs for everyone else in the store, much to their delight. Jeonghan's especially, who looks like he's about to sweep her off her feet and carry her to paradise, pregnant or not.

"Su, if you do this everyday you might as well have VIP privileges everytime you buy here." Jeonghan beams at her, sniffing the rock fish stew in his hand. "Ah, can I marry you?"

"Apparently, you can't," Wonwoo says from the counter, turning to Suyeon. "Please don't tell me he charmed you into doing this."

"Oh, nobody has charmed me or anything. I just want to return the favor." Suyeon silently glances at Minghao. "You guys can dig in while it's hot."

"I envy whoever her boyfriend is," Minkyung whispers into Minghao's ear, as she takes a sip of her soup. "I mean, I'd marry her too as much as I want to marry this stew."

Minghao laughs. "You're letting the gay talk, Minkyung. Hold it in."

He leaves her alone, in her seat and grumbling at how unfair it is that everyone good are almost gone and walks over to Suyeon, smoothing her belly. "How's Hwayoung?"

"Ah, feisty. She's been kicking a lot lately. Wanna feel her?" 

Minghao beams and crouches down with a hand on it, planting his ear against the bump and waiting for any movement. He feels it ever so slightly, flesh shifting under Suyeon's maternal dress and he gasps softly, sliding his hand across to pat the spot near his ear. He looks up to the smiling Suyeon and grins wider. "She likes me, doesn't she?"

"Of course she does, you're her hero," Suyeon says with a soft smile.

He tries to look not too amazed at this, at the beauty of the very pregnancy and at Suyeon's beauty while on it. It's a pity her parents didn't get to see her like this, so glowing and so happy.

It's also a pity Minghao's parents didn't get to see him like this: somebody's hero. Somebody's something. Not some kid banished from China. Not some kid who's never meant to dance, never meant to be in this world. 

Minghao swallows the bile rising up his throat because this isn't the time to be melodramatic. It's lunch time. Besides, he has long accepted the fact that they could never accept him for who he is. And so far, with everything that has happened in Minghao's life, he can't say he's too sad about how it turned out for him and his parents. He's happy now, with the people that do accept him for who he is. And all he can ask for.

He whispers something to the bump as he caresses it with care. His smile fades however, as his eyes land on someone standing outside the convenience store's glass doors. Kim Mingyu, sporting a blank look as he eyes Minghao's hand on Suyeon's belly.

As if burned, Minghao takes his hand off quickly and tentatively walks over to the doors, opening it as he organizes his expression. "Look who's here. I thought you're . . ." At work.

Mingyu's face is still unnaturally hard as he holds a lunch box up. "Lunch."

"Wait . . . Is that for me?"

"Yeah."

As much as he likes to take his moment to digest that information, he wrestles the words out of his mouth. "Thanks, but you didn't have to," he says, taking the lunch box from Mingyu's hands.

The other's eyes shift behind him. "It seems so."

Slightly baffled, Minghao twirls around and finds his all of his co-workers' eyes on them, even Suyeon's. Except Minkyung's didn't sport the same shadow of confusion but of different knowing glint and she smiles. Minghao doesn't like how that smile horribly mirrors Seokmin's.

"Um. This is Kim Mingyu my, uh," he looks back at Mingyu and finds him staring back at him, expectantly. "roommate. And uh, friend."

"Hey Mingyu," Jeonghan greets monotonously, raising an acknowledging hand after an awkward second. The others chorused a greeting and Suyeon beams at him, stepping forward and holding out her hand.

"So you're Mingyu!" she chirps. "Thank you for taking Minghao in! You're godsend!"

"You're welcome?" The taller takes her hand doubtfully. "And you're?"

"Oh, I'm Ji Suyeon! Minghao's friend."

"Friend," Mingyu echoes then belatedly plasters a small smile. "Nice to meet you Suyeon."

Minghao nods enthusiastically and attempts a smile. It comes off as a grimace. Suyeon starts rambling about something but it's clear neither of the two is actually listening. Mingyu is nodding and smiling unmindfully but his eyes remain trained on Minghao. The smaller on the other hand, tries to look passive because there isn't any reason to panic in the first place. Yet he does, for some reason.

They both perk up in attention when Suyeon mentions "boyfriend".

"What?" Mingyu asks, his voice coming out normally and not as distant as he looks.

"I was just asking if Mingyu here has a girlfriend. Or boyfriend," Suyeon grins as if the three of them are already tight in just the span of a few minutes. "So do you?"

"Not really. I got enough problems in my space to deal with. If you know what I mean."

Minghao gets it so he frowns. Suyeon laughs. "Oh, I think you guys are doing well."

When Suyeon turns her back on them, Minghao tugs Mingyu closer. "What happened to the extra shifts?"

Mingyu's back to frowning with accusing eyes. "You didn't tell me you have a pregnant bestfriend."

"Yeah? Is that part of the leash description? I don't remember."

The taller's jaw tightens. He can tell he's holding back because they're in public. Minghao sighs. "She's the reason why I got fired. I took the blame for her expensive mistake, which cost me my job too. You know the rest."

Minghao doesn't know what to expect anything out of this sudden confession. But it feels right to explain, to fill his roommate in. It does look weird walking up to Minghao patting a pregnant lady's belly and smiling at her like he did. He owes him an explanation. Or does he really? Or is it just how he chooses to see it?

"You were right. Explaining is not in the leash description either," Mingyu retorts, but visibly loosening up.

"But you obviously needed it," Minghao says.

They hold gazes for a few seconds before Mingyu looks away. "If you knocked someone up, you should tell me."

"I'm not planning on knocking someone up. I wasn't . . ." He squints at him. "You're letting this bother you too much."

"I'm not bothered."

"Yeah, you are. Look," Minghao sighs. "Look. Suyeon is just a friend. She got knocked up by her ty ex-boyfriend who bailed on her and I covered for her back then because she's in deeper above all the deep she's already in. Her parents abandoned her because of the kid. It's the least I can do."

He looks back at Suyeon, talking to the other guys. Minkyung takes the seat next to her and starts smoothing her belly with a smile. Seungcheol says something then the entire group laughs including Wonwoo all the way behind the counter while Seungcheol looks around, confused about the outburst.

He hears Mingyu hum beside him. "You done eating lunch?"

"No, because you came in just in time."

"You better eat it. I'm going back to the apartment."

Just as Mingyu turns around, Minghao pinches the back of his pullover to stop him. "Eat with me."

"I already did," the other replies, then looks over his shoulder. "I get it, alright? You don't have to . . . you get it."

Minghao nods. Not exactly why, but he gets it.

"Hey! Mingyu! Join us!" Jeonghan hollers from the table. Mingyu smiles at them.

"I already ate. You guys enjoy. Nice to meet you, by the way."

"Aye, why don't you join us for some drinks on the weekend?" Minkyung asks. "It's on the bosses."

"That's me and Wonwoo, right there," Jeonghan says, jabbing a thumb at Wonwoo. The bespectacled guy smiled and raised a hand. "I'm Jeonghan by the way. Co-owner."

"That's a great idea," Minghao notes, turning to the taller. "Come with me, then. It's just a few drinks."

Mingyu pauses thoughtfully and shrugs. "Alright. I'll go."

Minghao grins. The taller smiles back at him and walks through the double doors, bouncing a little in his steps. Minghao feels like skipping too, as he saunters over to the table but decides against it. Figures it's too risky with Minkyung's smirking eyes on him.

 

 

 

 

It went well. Jimin came along, projecting his gratitude to his incessant beams at Minghao. It was cold but it got considerably warmer after a few drinks with Mingyu sitting beside him. The coziness lingered even after Mingyu and him shared his enormous long coat on the way home, a steady hearth at the pit of his stomach as Mingyu smiles softly at him when he said I bet you had a good time. You're smiling a lot. Minghao hadn't mind sharing. He also hadn't mind smiling a lot. It looked like Mingyu didn't too. They both looked like they enjoyed it. And everything else. What's there to complain about? 

 

 

 

 

At the end of October, Minghao has saved enough for a new apartment. The weird thing is that, he wasn't even trying to. His pay was higher than expected, though he has his own suspicions at Suyeon and Jeonghan's conspiring whispers and discreet looks he caught them throwing his direction a few times. If Suyeon had really pulled some strings (which were surprisingly strong ones) for this, Minghao is very much obliged. It was unnecessary, but obliged. He does not bring up this concern to either of them however, taking into consideration the effort they've put into making this unknown to him. The situation sinks in a little while after, as Minghao stares at his wallet filled with wads of cash he doesn't expect to earn in such a short time and wonders if the folks back at the store had the same amount. The next thought dawns on him, stomach dropping as the unmistakable thickness and uniform color of the cash brandishes the fact that he had enough to move out. Minghao tries to reassess the amount with his eyes once more, not daring enough to find out exactly, and he bites his lip when even through eye-counting, he couldn't dodge the glaring amount he had in his hands. 

It's an expensive sign to move out already. 

Besides making a promise to himself to stand on his own when he can, his pride nudges him relentlessly that he's yet to fulfill the declaration he had made to Mingyu. 

"I'll move out soon."

"Yeah. Sure."

Minghao had already swallowed his pride a lot of times during the past few months and it's getting enraged at the constant shoving off. He had ignored it the first time he came to live with Mingyu because he didn't have a choice. He had ignored his pride when they laid on the same bed, despite the fact they shared a previous distasteful experience with sharing a bed and Minghao being the of the undying joke. There are more times where Minghao had to shove his tingling pride somewhere else to fit into this environment with Mingyu whom he always thought was a pain in the . He had learned to adapt, to accept, to hold his tongue and control his emotions from bursting all over the place because he needed to. Because as much as he hated to admit, he needed Kim Mingyu. 

Now, holding the money, he knows he doesn't anymore. 

He can move out now, find a new place to start all over again. He can finally have a bed to himself, space even, where he didn't have to worry about being messy when he's off of it. Where he didn't have to worry about laundry other than his own. Where he didn't have to worry about someone else coming home extremely late causing him to lie restless on the bed, alone and inexplicably bothered by the depth of the cold night and the lack of warmth beside him. Someplace else where he didn't have to shut his eyes so fast and pretend he's sleeping when the man in question finally tiptoes in and lies limply on the space next to him which is enough indication how tired he had been. An own space where he didn't have to worry about himself staring at the sleeping man beside him and thinking angrily of how idiotic he had been for taking up those extra shifts and adding more strain to himself.  

Somewhere else other than here where he can finally be free. Physically and emotionally. 

For Minghao knows, so long he's here eating those delicious homemade meals and washing his laundry with Mingyu's, the emotional tug-of-war inside of him will never be resolved and the long strings of what-ifs will never be silenced. The bed's metaphorical vines will cling to him so tight it'll make it extra harder to get up in the morning. The cupcakes will anchor him better to the apartment and tie him off to some imaginary pole, craving for more of it. That's not something that goes well with the plan he had set up for himself. 

Minghao had a plan. He needs to stick to it. 

So he does, and he makes sure Mingyu knows it. 

"I'll move out on Friday," he announces, polishing Mingyu's albums one by one with a cloth. 

"Sure," Mingyu deadpans as he refocuses on the flowers in front of him, fluffing the buds. "You need help moving?"

"Nah."

"Okay."

When Friday rolls around, it proves to be an easy move. First, Minghao had already packed everything the night before. And as Mingyu walks him to the door, he only carries the exact same things he carried the first time he stepped inside: his school backpack and his luggage of every belonging he had. 

Minghao dreads this exact moment, him standing in front of the door and Mingyu seeing him off. No matter how he tries to picture out scenarios this can go to, he couldn't predict which one is most likely and most suitable for the sort of relationship the both of them had. Mainly because he isn't exactly sure what to make of both of them. A hug would've been fitting for friends. (They're probably friends right?) But even after all these time, he couldn't even bring himself to stare at Mingyu's face for a whole minute, let alone initiate a hug that could escalate into a full-blown fist-fight in a blink of an eye because it's them. Minghao decides to play safe by clenching his fists around his stuff as he steps out, Mingyu stopping at the doorway and expression looking more guarded than usual.

"Um, thank you for letting me stay here for the past few months," Minghao says in an obviously forced chirp that should've sounded like Seokmin's. He fights off the urge to sprint away to the other direction and away from this place forever. 

"No problem. It wasn't the most enjoyable experience but . . ."

Minghao laughs sourly, the previous awkwardness melting into mild weariness. "A until the end I see."

"Oh, this isn't the end," Mingyu corrects, bobbing in his legs as he leans casually against the doorjamb. "I also wanted to thank you for the pleasure of your company. It still wasn't the most enjoyable experience but you tried."

"Oh, at least I did." the Chinese rolls his eyes. "Thank goodness I'm out of your hair, right?"

"Is that what you think?"

"That's the fact."

Mingyu shakes his head, studying him intently. "You don't know that."

"I know that. Ever since the beginning I knew."

"You think you're a burden around here." The taller purses his lips. "You're not."

"I am."

"No, not really. I mean," Mingyu reasons. "You do the laundry. You clean."

"Besides being a burden, I don't think I should be depending on someone else all the time," Minghao says. Now, I'm very much dependent on you it's getting scary.

"What's wrong with that?"

Minghao looks up sharply. "We are Mingyu and Minghao. Depending on each other is wrong."

"Says who?"

The Chinese clenches his fists. We did, remember? "It's . . . why don't you want me to move out?"

"I told you, you do the laundry and you clean. It doesn't hurt to have an extra hand at home."

Minghao rolls his eyes. "You need a maid."

". . . and to cook for somebody else. And bring home ice cream for to share with during The Walking Dead marathons. It doesn't hurt."

The atmosphere radiates a fragile state so Minghao doesn't trust himself to speak. 

"It gets kinda lonely," Mingyu says softly, eyes downcast.

"Why are you telling me this?"

"Because the cupcakes didn't seem to work," the taller says exasperatedly. "I don't know what to make of you. I yell at you, you sneer back at me. I get mad, you get madder. But if I treat you nicely, you still shy away. You slip through my fingers. Look where that niceness lead to: you here, in front of my door. You're still leaving."

At this point, Minghao has abandoned any resistance to Mingyu's words, resulting to pursing his lips together, eyes bulging out of their sockets as he takes everything in. All the anger from him that he had never heard before. Frustration, somewhat bitterness embedded at every word he utters. Almost painful. 

Minghao doesn't speak when Mingyu grunts in front of him, displeased at the lack of reaction from him. 

"You know what, fine. Go. I don't care. I've been trying. God knows I have but it's just . . ." Mingyu sighs, shaking his head. "Just go, Minghao. You don't have to worry about everything else." 

Minghao steps half a beat faster, pulling the door shut just as Mingyu opens it with a loud slam. With bewildered eyes, Mingyu glares at him questioningly. 

"You expect me to let you off the hook that easily after what you said?" the smaller demands hotly, glaring just as hard. "I want direct answers. Don't get smart- with me and I absolutely do not want any hint of sarcasm in your voice. Do you want me to leave or not?"

Mingyu narrows his eyes at him. "Shouldn't that be―"

"No smart- answers! I want a simple yes or no."

"No."

"Why?"

Mingyu leans in, quickly yet precisely, claiming Minghao's lips in a soft kiss. Mingyu feels warm and his lips slow and unfairly smooth. Minghao goes rigid for the first few seconds before taking his first step into the beat, moving his own lips to Mingyu's lead. 

He breathes his air and in feelings that weighed too heavy for words. Sweet. Mingyu's lips. The kiss is all the answer he ever needs.

 

 

 

 

Minghao doesn't leave after that. The hand around his waist holds as tight as the other holds his luggage. 

"You don't have to move out."

"Okay."

"Because skateboard," the owner of those hands reasons. 

"And?"

"Skateboard and Minghao," Mingyu answers him with no trace of inhibition. "That way we both get what we want."

 

 

 

  

"Do you where I'm moving to?"

"No, where?"

"Next door."

Mingyu gapes at him. "You're kidding."

He chuckles. "Why would I?" 

"You . . ." Mingyu opens and shuts his mouth. ". . . faker. I thought you're moving somewhere far!"

"No, why would I? Next door's as available as ever. Plus I can afford the rent here."

The taller slaps his arm hard again and again. It wasn't even playful. Minghao cries, laughing at the continuous slapping. "Hey that's enough, ow!"

"What the hell are you thinking?!"

"I wanted to see your face when I pack all my things and then move in next door." He grins, eyes shining. "See? Priceless."

"Faker."

"You're just glad I'm not going anywhere away from you. Admit it."

"Ha."

A pause. 

They're sitting side by side on the couch now, staring at the TV's blank screen. Minghao can hear his chest warm throbbing and bubbling with affection for the man leaning against him. The hand still hasn't left him, now holding his hand tight instead of his luggage and waist. It feels nice. Mingyu feels nice, and this time Minghao doesn't resist. Doesn't want to resist anymore. He doesn't even bother himself over the fact the Alternate Universe Mingyu is slowly eclipsing the Koreanus tardus Mingyu he knew. He's got plenty of time getting used to that. He knows that now. He's not going anywhere. 

Minghao feels Mingyu's arms snake from behind his back, clutching softly at his side as a head rests against his. "Please don't do that again."

"You're such a big baby," Minghao whispers as he leans against him. "If I'd known you were like this, I wouldn't have wasted all those time fighting you. I could've just disappeared from your life to end it all."

"You can't do that because you subconsciously like me."

"That is false," Minghao objects. "I like you consciously."

A pause.

"Let's not be too cheesy."

"Agreed."

 

 

 

 

"Mingyu's my boyfriend now," Minghao tells Seokmin with a passive smile. It's not like he's practically broadcasting it to the world. He's actually being discreet about it, sending only his closest friends a text stating if they wanted to know he's got a boyfriend now and if they want to know who it is then they better show up at a certain place and time.

"That is brilliant," Mingyu had said. "Break it to them over a meal and watch them choke."

One of his earliest appointments is with Seokmin but he already knew Mingyu - his, well, bestfriend - and his busy schedule so Minghao sits alone in front of him, breaking the news as slowly as he can. 

In the form of bluntly saying, "Mingyu's my boyfriend now."

Minghao believes he's doing a good job at breaking it slowly.  

Seokmin's munching karaage and despite being practically cornered with Minghao's announcement, he doesn't appear choking at the weight of it. "Yeah I know."

"How did you know? Gyu told you?"

The older of the two by a few months raises a finger, then swallows, lips shining with chicken grease. "The moment you stopped ranting about Mingyu to me, that's when I know, you're gone."

Minghao always hates how Seokmin is mostly right about everything. Seer-Mode and all. 

"Ah, but you didn't choke after hearing it," Minghao whines, messing his fringe with a devilish smile. 

"Are you planning to make me choke?!" Seokmin exclaims, horrified. "What has Mingyu done to you?!"