C5: Error found

Chasing Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


xxx

 

Tiffany mindlessly taps her fingers against her desk, eyebrows furrowed in deep thought.
 

It’s not that she’s worried, she tells herself.
 

Concerned? She releases a frustrated breath. Those words mean the same thing.
 

Taeyeon hasn’t been back to work for two days now – three if one would count the day she took half the day off.
 

And it’s not that it isn’t normal for people to miss a few days of work, but Tiffany has been sending Taeyeon a few texts, and she hasn’t gotten a single response.
 

Her first text was a simple “Are you okay?” which she had texted yesterday.
 

This morning, she had also texted her an “Are you still feeling sick? Do you need anything?” but Taeyeon still hasn’t replied to her, and it’s already noon. She even went as far as e-mailing the blonde, asking the same things, but to no avail.
 

And as much as Tiffany knows that Taeyeon's old enough to take care of herself, they are, after all, in New York City, and it’s not fun to be all cooped up in bed alone in an unfamiliar place.
 

Does she even have a kitchen in her place? How can she cook soup for herself if she doesn’t?
 

Where is she even staying in New York?
 

What if she’s doing all of this just to avoid me?
 

Tiffany feels bad for thinking that last one. Surely her mistake a few days ago doesn’t warrant such behavior from Taeyeon; she’s probably not as immature as Tiffany is.
 

Because yes, Tiffany does admit that she had been immature about everything.
 

Their fallout ten years back was both their fault, not just Taeyeon's. Tiffany had seen the apology in Taeyeon's eyes in that bus all those years ago – and most importantly the sincerity of it. If she hadn’t left for the US, they might have fixed everything between them, but she was hurt and jaded and wanted to run the away from the very source of it all, so she did.
 

And as much as Tiffany regrets everything that happened, it’s part of the distant past. They’re both leading different lives now, and it’s silly to try to reminisce about what could have been when the scars have already faded – and should be kept that way.
 

It’s sad that Tiffany hadn’t realized it sooner and caused more turmoil than necessary, but what’s done is done, and all she can do is apologize.
 

She tries to focus back on her work, skipping lunch because she lacks an appetite. Only after another hour of trying to read through her work e-mails does Tiffany admit that she can’t function properly if she doesn’t know that Taeyeon is okay.
 

So she picks up her phone and dials Taeyeon's number before she can think too hard about it and stop herself.
 

It rings and rings, and Tiffany bites her lip in wait, anticipating for the ringing to stop and the busy tone to-
 

Click.
 

“Hello?”
 

“H-Hello? Taeyeon?”
 

“What is it, Ms. Hwang?”
 

Tiffany winces at the formal tone Taeyeon uses, although she notes how the latter’s voice seems to sound a bit different, a lot more nasally. “I…uh. You didn’t respond to my messages, so I was wondering if you’re okay.”
 

“I am. Just have a cold. I’m still working at home, so don’t worry.”
 

“Oh. Are you- ”
 

“Goodbye, Ms. Hwang.”
 

Click.
 

Tiffany removes the phone from her ear and stares at it, a little dumbfounded.
 

Taeyeon had just hung up on her. Well, with good reason, but…
 

Tiffany sighs. Well, at least she knows Taeyeon's alive and kicking – kicking Tiffany's , to be exact.
 

But Taeyeon's sick, and (reluctantly) Tiffany admits that she’s worried. It’s already been three days, after all.
 

She ponders on what she can do to help Taeyeon, even if the latter seems to not want to have anything to do with her anymore.
 

An idea comes to mind, and Tiffany turns back to her computer, quickly googling in order to find out how she can make an international call to South Korea.

 

***

 

Taeyeon grumpily throws another box of tissues into her trash can – her fourth one in a span of three days, and it probably won’t be the last.
 

She’s come down with a terrible sinus infection; it was a headache at first, and then her nose started running and never stopped since. She’s tried various ways to treat it: lozenges, ginger tea, and some over-the-counter medication she bought from a nearby drug store – to no avail. Now, she’s just given up and hopes it’ll go away on its own. At least it’s Friday today, so she has the weekend to get better.
 

She’s been able to work on the merger though, only interrupted by blowing her nose into a tissue every few minutes. Taeyeon chose not to go to the office, knowing that she could most likely infect those around her.
 

And honestly, she doesn’t want to see Tiffany anytime soon, so she’s actually thankful that her body has betrayed her these past few days. Sometimes, she has some questions about the merger that she knows Tiffany can answer, but her pride has grown to the size of a whale, and she wanted to keep ignoring Tiffany and her messages for as long as she could.
 

Until the brunette had called her this afternoon.
 

Instead of continuing to watch her phone ring, Taeyeon had opted to answer the call. Just so Tiffany would stop pestering her, she argues to herself.
 

And maybe she got her point across – how she’s doing fine, so stop bothering me, Tiffany Hwang – when she had hung up on her.
 

But now, Taeyeon hears a knock on her door, and that ‘maybe’ crumbles into something akin to ‘not bloody likely.’
 

Her brain scrambles to think of anyone else that could be knocking on her door at 8 PM in the evening, but her gut just knows.
 

She carefully walks across the studio flat her company has rented for her, making sure to keep her footsteps soft and practically soundless. Maybe she’ll go away if she thinks I’m not home.
 

“Taeyeon, I know you’re home. The light is on and I can hear music playing.”
 

Taeyeon winces. . She forgot about the music.
 

She sighs in defeat, but steels herself before she opens the door. No entry for the pink monster.
 

Holy.
 

.
 

Oh my god.
 

Taeyeon couldn’t even stop from dropping open.
 

She promptly closes it though, grateful that she’s sick so the redness of her ears can be attributed to that instead.
 

She almost laughs out loud at her reaction. She’s seen Tiffany in so many well-fitted blouses and -hugging skirts, but who knew that what will set Taeyeon off is seeing the brunette in a plain white t-shirt and jeans. Seriously. She’s even wearing a blazer! Get a grip of yourself!
 

Taeyeon's mild freak-out is interrupted by the clearing of Tiffany's throat. Like a splash of cold water, Taeyeon meets Tiffany's amused eyes and her back straightens, grip tightening on the door she should be slamming on her face.
 

“I’m okay. You should go,” she tells her, already drawing the door to a close.
 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter