C3: Call my bluff

Chasing Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

xxx

 

Tiffany has been bulldozing her way through work the past few days, practically secluding herself in her office in the morning as she takes countless calls, while she attends various meetings during the afternoon.
 

She only gives her secretary a cursory nod whenever she walks by her – most likely on her way to another meeting or for a short bathroom break – but the timid yet curious question Sharon asks her this morning makes her stop in her tracks.
 

“Umm… Are you sure you and Ms. Kim were friends before?” Before she could say anything, Sharon hurriedly adds, “I’m sorry, I don’t mean to pry. It’s just that…well…you don’t seem to…talk to her, except when it’s about work.”
 

As much as Tiffany wants to snap that it’s really none of her secretary’s business, she begrudgingly understands where she’s coming from.
 

Taeyeon has constantly been inviting Tiffany to go to lunch with her (Tiffany would never admit out loud that she finds it endearing how the blonde shyly asks her in her lilted English), sometimes asking her after knocking on her office door or stopping her in the hallway – the latter of which is what Sharon had probably witnessed.
 

And it’s not that Tiffany didn’t want to go; it’s just that she had lunch meetings that day, or sometimes she had plans with Jessica.
 

Mostly.
 

Sometimes.
 

…Not really.
 

So, okay, maybe she has been avoiding Taeyeon, only conversing with her when the latter had questions about the merger or needed her opinion on certain things. The awkwardness between them hasn’t quite dissipated, but Tiffany thinks that’s just how their relationship should be: a bit distanced, and a whole lot professional.
 

But maybe she has been coming off a little too cold. Tiffany thought that she could get away with it for a month, but apparently, she isn’t being subtle enough about it. And now, she’s also hit with a feeling of guilt for brushing Taeyeon off the way she has. She hasn’t allowed herself to think too much about Taeyeon's crestfallen face or her sad smile whenever she turns her down, but now the memories flit through her mind quickly upon hearing her secretary’s question.
 

A short – and professional – lunch with Taeyeon wouldn’t hurt, right?
 

Tiffany snaps out of her myriad of thoughts and tries to make up a plausible excuse to the question she still hasn’t answered. “We are friends,” she tells her secretary. “It’s just that I’ve been really busy these past few days.”
 

Sharon nods at her in quiet understanding.
 

“I’ll try my best to free up my lunch schedule today. Could you help me with that?”

 

***

 

Taeyeon is so engrossed in writing her email to her boss back in Korea that she doesn’t hear the knock on her door, much less notice the person quietly entering her office. Seeing movement in her periphery, she finally looks up and almost has a heart attack when she sees Tiffany standing by her door.
 

“Sorry, I…” Tiffany trails off, motioning towards the door and herself, but Taeyeon quickly waves it off.
 

“I-It’s fine. What is it?”
 

Taeyeon is taken aback when she witnesses Tiffany fidgeting a little bit, her fingers clasping together in front of her, then behind her, then back in front again. “Um… Are you free for lunch today?”
 

She gapes at the brunette, clearly not expecting the invitation.
 

“I mean, I’m free today for lunch. But if you’re not, then – “
 

“I am. Um, just give me a second?” After seeing Tiffany nod, Taeyeon quickly saves her documents and drafts before shutting her laptop down and shouldering her bag.

 

***

 

Taeyeon tries not to blatantly stare at the woman walking beside her, whose perfume she could somehow still catch a whiff of despite the many busy New Yorkers power-walking all around them and the constant stench of urine that permeates throughout the city streets. Tiffany is wearing her usual set of black pumps, along with a sleek black business suit with a gray blouse underneath.
 

Taeyeon is practically wearing the same outfit, but somehow, she feels as if Tiffany was born to wear hers. Not that she’s biased, or anything like that.
 

The subtle confidence and power Tiffany exudes – even as they’re merely walking down the street – is nothing short of admirable. Taeyeon hopes that she showcases the same aura, but

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter