Chapter 2 : Cappuccino

Scars To Your Beautiful

 August 2017

“Ah, really. Ramyeon is surely the best,” Heeyeon said slurping her food deliciously. Like this, they had been looking out of the convenient store side by side looking at the street through the clear glass. Work time just ended and people can be seen walking around ready to went back home to embrace their family and beloved ones. 

“It must be nice for them. I wish I’m living that life too,” Heeyeon sigh pointing at the couple outside. The girlfriend was wearing a pink blouse with skinny leg jeans. She was running towards her boyfriend to hug him. The smile on her lip and her sparkling eyes looking at her boyfriend cannot be denied that she loves him more than anything. Heeyeon turns her head to her right and questions her friends, “Anything interesting during summer break?”

“Hmm… I don’t think there is. Just my normal boring daily life. Eat, work, sleep,” Mina answered sipping coffee on her right arm. “Mine too. But I did go back to Jeju to meet my family and had a lot of fun,” Minhee said smiling reminiscing the memories. “I had a very fun long holiday. I lay down on my bed with laptop on my lap and typing my final year project report. God, you guys didn’t know how much fun I had,” Inhye answers sarcastically while smiling widely and creepily. All of them laugh at Inhye’s response.

“Oh! that reminds me, Minhee how does thing goes along with you and him?” Heeyeon asked. Instantly, to avoid the question, Minhee said “Oh my god, isn’t that Johnny?” that made Heeyeon jolt and turns around immediately to look at the direction of Minhee’s eyes. “Hahaha, I can’t believe you believe her,” Inhye said laughing hard.

“Do you still like him?” Mina asked.

“Yeah, much more than I’ve ever before,” Heeyeon said shyly.

“Why do you even like him? Well, he is good looking. I can acknowledge that. But you guys don’t even talk to each other. Not even having a single eye contact,"Inhye complained.

"Hey, we actually did many times. Eye contacts I mean. Although coincidently. I like him not because that he is good looking but because of how he acts. He is really cool and kind. I once saw him playing with a baby,"Talking about Johnny always make Heeyeon smile no matter what. She just likes him too much.

 "How do you even know that he is kind?"Minhee questioned.

"I can feel it from the bottom of my heart,"Heeyeon clench her hands together and brings it towards her heart. Smiling again.

"I'm so done of you always talking about him every single day. Oh, duty calls. See you guys tomorrow," Mina says goodbye after checking her watch. Afterwards, after finishing their meals, they all went back home not forgetting to say goodbyes. Meeting up and talking about random stuff is almost like a daily routine for them.

 


 

It is especially hot on this day in August. The weather forecast shows that it is 30 degree Celsius outside. As usual, Mina went to the library on her free slot because one of her man part-time jobs is also working at the school's library. And there he is, the eye candy of her eyes, Oh Sehun. Always looking so gorgeous and fine no matter what he does. He is sitting with his group of friends. The four pulchritudinous men are what Heeyeon called them.

Mina didn't like Sehun from the beginning, just only recently after Sehun personality changed quite a bit. Into a good one that is. Not that he is bad before. It is just that she liked the new different side of him. She hasn't told anyone about her feelings for Sehun except for Heeyeon. Just because she is a special friend of her. Sehun was sitting quietly doing his work with his friend and sometimes whispering. Mina felt thankful when people don't make trouble inside the library although she lowkey always wanted to listen to Sehun's conversation.

Oh Sehun, 23 years old, charismatic and really good looking, have that poker face on most of the time but is actually bubbly and love to play around, laugh and smile most of the time with his friends. Seo Youngho A.K.A Johnny, 22 years old, the one that Sehun hang out with most of the time plus, Heeyeon long time crush. “Heeyeon must like this sight of Johnny. She’s crazy when she saw Johnny with glasses on,” Mina thought suddenly. Cha Eunwoo, 21 years old, he has that kind face that is really refreshing to look at, he is really kind to people he’s comfortable with, Majoring in Microbiology the same as Sehun and Johnny. And lastly, Jeon Jungkook, 21 years old, Majoring in Medical Technology. There’s not much to talk about Jungkook. He is the secretive type of people and doesn’t talk much.

Thanks to Inhye and Minhee, Mina got all the information from listening to them (secretly that is) from time to time. There’s not much of interaction of Mina and Sehun. Only that when Sehun borrows some books that they talked for a bit. Mina always liked that lisp coming from Sehun when he speaks. She thought that he sounds cute with it. She rarely met him around the school maybe due to having a different time slot for classes and free time slot. Today is a lucky day for meeting him at the library that is all thanks to her lecturer for letting her class out early. She wishes that more day would come like this.

 


 

LIstening to the lecturer talking about wastewater treatment with his monotonous tone is making Minhee sleepy. The only thing that is keeping her awake is Inhye constantly interfering Minhee with her lame jokes. Ï'm so hungry. Let's grab some food later before our next class starts," thinking about food is making Inhye's stomach grumbles. Now, instead of disturbing MInhee, Inhye is doodling anything food related: Ice cream, donuts, sunny side up and much more deliciousness.

Class ends after what feels like 3 hours long torture. After packing their stuff, they went out of the class straight to the direction of the canteen. Inhye is complaining how she wishes the lecturer should be changed because she couldn’t stand listening to him any longer. Minhee couldn’t agree more with what Inhye said. Just after Inhye finished talking, her phone rang. “Shoot, It’s Satan. I need to take this call,” Said Inhye, half annoyed and half crying. Inhye called her photography club president as Satan because he likes to order Inhye around. Inhye thought that her club president must really hate her but Minhee on the other side thought that he likes her because her guts said so.

After a few ‘buts’ and ‘yes’ Inhye ended the call. With an apologetic face, Inhye told Minhee that it is an “urgent” matter and told her to go on first. “Aish, this Satan always making me lonely,” Minhee complained. Just as she reaches the canteen she saw him. Him, the last person she wanted to meet. The last person she wanted to talk to. Him that is currently looking at her. She immediately turns her body to run but it is too late. Ok Taecyeon is already chasing her and calling her name. “Kim Minhee,” Taecyeon said grabbing her wrist and turning her over. “Why are you running away from me? Have I done anything wrong? Please tell me,” plead Taecyeon, eyes looking straight into Minhee’s searching for answers.

It had been a week since Minhee started to ignore Taecyeon. She didn’t reply to any of his text nor his phone call. It breaks her heart to see Taecyeon standing outside her house every morning waiting for her. But she just pretended to not being at home and wait until Taecyeon left her house only then she would go outside. Ok Taecyeon, the sweetest person in this world, the kindest of them all. But there is only one problem. No matter how hard she tries to like him back she just can’t. She blames herself for being like that.

It had been months since Minhee started to think like that. That her effort for the 1 and a half years of being together thinking that one day she might like him back just vanishes when she read this one quote that catches her eyes ‘I feel like I’m waiting for something that isn’t going to happen’. It was when she was reading this one book and read that one particular sentence and since then, her mind changes. 

If this relationship kept on going she might as well keep on hurting Taecyeon. She tried to confront and confess her actual feelings to him but every time the words she practices every single night just won’t come out of . Maybe she still needs a bit more time. A little bit more.

“You’re not at fault. It is all mine. I’m sorry for saying this out of nowhere but I’m sure there is someone out there that would repay back your kindness and would love you with all of her heart. I’m sorry but I think I don’t deserve you. We would be better off in our separate ways,” Is what Minhee wanted to say but instead she said, “Sorry, I’m just busy and tired. My class is starting soon, can you please let me go?” Taecyeon let loose of his grasp clearly surprised by Minhee plain response. While walking away, Minhee heard Taecyeon said something that made Minhee lose control. Her tears kept on flowing out even after half an hour passed by. Ï know something is wrong. Please tell me when you're ready. I will wait for you."

 


 

Meanwhile, Inhye who are currently angry at her club president is rushing to the photography studio. The room is just plain white. The lights are brightly open shining so brightly to almost hurting Inhye's eyes. A few of the light modifiers and its stand can be seen cornering one of the edges of the room. "Who in their right mind left this light open when not in use. Did they know how much the student council complained to me that we used too much electricity? Aish,"Inhye said, clearly annoyed while kicking an empty bottle of water hard.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Ouch! My eye!” A voice, echoing through the room. And there he is. Sitting in the spotlight, leg crossing on top of a fancy looking chair. “I didn’t even kick it in your direction . It is such a pity, I wish I did though,” Inhye said staring deadly at the owner of the voice. “Oh, is it? Why does it hurt then? Ah! I know! It is because you’re glaring at my beautiful face,” The voice replied winking at Inhye. “Stop it Myungsoo, you make me want to vomit,” Inhye said making the gesture of vomiting. “What is this ‘urgent’ thing you are talking about earlier?” Inhye added still glaring at Myungsoo.

“Oh, yeah I almost forgot about that. Tomorrow, you don’t have any classes, right? So, I would love my dear vice president to accompany me traveling around Seoul to search for beautiful places for our upcoming school magazine,” said Myungsoo smiling so widely looking so innocent making Inhye wanting to punch his face. “That’s it? Just by informing me to be your servant tomorrow? We could’ve just talk this over the phone. Plus, I’m busy tomorrow, I have a date with my grandma,” Inhye gritted her teeth talking to Myungsoo but soften at the mention of her grandmother.

“Because I need to see your face,” Myungsoo said. Sometimes Myungsoo can be so cringy that Inhye can’t stop her body from shivering at his words. “Grandma! I miss your grandma. Can I come too tomorrow?” asked Myungsoo looking excited. “No, you cant. I don't want you socializing with my grandma. You're a bad influence. I'll be going now, my class is starting soon,"Inhye said looking at her watch.

"Oh, by the way, you haven’t eaten, right? My stomach is not feeling well at the moment you can take my lunch,” Myungsoo said pointing at the paper bag on top of a table near the entrance door of the room. “You need to thank the food because it is the only reason for me holding back to punch you. Thanks anyway,” Inhye said back facing Myungsoo while waving her hand after taking his food.

Inhye still has about fifteen minutes before class and Minhee is not answering her phone. So, she went alone to the canteen to eat her lunch. When Inhye opened the paper bag, she saw various food of her liking. “Well at least he got a good sense of food," Inhye said nodding in approval. What Inhye didn't know is that Myungsoo intentionally bought it for her.

 


 

After saying goodbyes to Inhye, Mina, and Minhee, Heeyeon went straight to the nearest bus stop. While waiting for the bus to arrive, Heeyeon thinks about seeing Minhee earlier looking so down with her red puffy eyes. But all of them did not dare to ask her because Minhee is the type to keep things a secret until she is ready to let it out herself. Heeyeon hoped for Minhee to feel better soon and would see her smile again.

The sun is already starting to set. The street light is lighting up one by one. It felt colder tonight, it could be because winter is getting closer. Heeyeon is rubbing her hands against her arms to warm herself up. Five minutes had passed, and a bus stopped in front of Heeyeon. Heeyeon greeted the bus driver before taking her seat. She became quite friendly with the bus driver because the bus that she uses are the same most of the time.

Just when the bus’s door was about to close, a tall, lean body sneak in. He was smiling at the bus driver then took a seat just opposite of Heeyeon. Heeyeon’s heart just can’t stop beating hard because Johnny, Her Johnny is sitting just two meters away from her. She can’t help but keep on glancing at Johnny once in a while. He was wearing a headset on and jamming to the music he was listening to. His hair looked so soft. Heeyeon tried hard not to reach her hand out.

This scene reminds her of the first time she had fallen for him. It was an early morning for her to go to the nearest grocery store to buy food to fill in her empty refrigerator. She remembered every scene correctly. It was in summer, Sunday, 24th July 2014, 7.05 am. She clearly remembered wearing a knee length sleeveless dress with flowery patterned on and her hair tied into a bun. She had been quite busy before to make herself some food. It had been a while since she moved out of her parent’s place after she received a letter that she got accepted to University of Science and Engineering. It was really breaking her parent's heart to see their only child leaving them but she had too. Busan is really too far from her school so now she is living in Seoul.

It took her a long time to adapt herself living in Seoul. Seoul is not that different from Busan than she had expected. She was thankful for that. Currently, she is living in an apartment in Hapjeong-dong which takes around 40 minutes to school. Her parent made her live there due to some reasons. Firstly, because Hapjeong-dong is close to Hongdae which is where her school is located. Hongdae is a famous place for students to hang out. Great place to go shopping, plenty of various delicious foods, great place to go clubbing (although Heeyeon isn’t interested in that) and most importantly Hongdae is really famous due to the street performers. (Heeyeon is really interested in music and dances). Secondly, Hapjeong-dong has good bike paths. Heeyeon really enjoys going on a bike during her free time. And lastly, because Hapjeong-dong is a quiet place good for studying and relaxing and in addition, have good links to public transportation.

That day, the first day she met Johnny when he entered the bus, he looked so dashing, he was sparkling in Heeyeon’s eyes. He was wearing a grey hooded jacket with shredded jeans on. There was writing on his jacket, ‘CARHARTT’ from what Heeyeon recalled. You can say that Heeyeon is a little bit creepy from remembering the slightest detail but on that, Heeyeon would say “It is called ‘observation’ not ‘creepy’”. And his soft looking hair is still the same. Heeyeon smiled remembering it.

She stopped daydreaming about her past when the bus stop after an announcement saying that she had reached her destination which is Hapjeong-dong. After she dropped off the bus, weirdly, Johnny also did the same. Come to think of it, Johnny was also in Hapjeong-dong when she first saw him. They were also currently walking in the same direction. But after a few blocks away from her apartment, Johnny went on a different path. Could it be that they are living in the same town? Heeyeon couldn't help but smile thinking of the possibility of that.

 

 


Heyyyy~ So what did you guys think?