Chapter 1 : Coffee

Scars To Your Beautiful

The smell of the freshly brewed coffee outside of Hongdae street brings Minhee to excitement. Morning is surely the best time (specifically after waking up) to take up the daily caffeine dose. Entering the coffee shop to see Mina and Heeyeon seated at a circular table at the corner of the shop. Their normal place to hang out. “You guys sure never stop talking”, complained Minhee. “I don’t even know what both of you talked to each other about after knowing everything of one another”, Minhee added.

“I don’t know, we just manage to talk something somehow”, replied Heeyeon and Mina just nod at the statement. Minhee then took a seat next to Mina awaiting the arrival of Inhye who were always late in any occasion. Speaking of Inhye, the door of the coffee shop open widely to a figure (a small figure) which was obviously Inhye with her hair that looked like someone who just woke up from bed. Papers sticking out of her bag pack tells that she probably (wait, 100% sure) just grab everything on her work table and stuffed everything into her bag before rushing to catch the morning bus. “Sorry, guys I’m late again”, taking the only empty seat next to Heeyeon while wiping her sweat with her jacket’s sleeve explaining her situation. Instantly, Mina let out her tissue box (yes people LITERALLY the whole tissue along with the box) and hand it to Inhye “Use this instead”

“You are the best! Thanks, babe”, thank Inhye. Mina smiles back like she always did. “You guys won’t believe what happened last night”, exclaimed Inhye then after a few deep breaths she added “I was doing my report last night then I went out to grab some snack after a while. When I returned, there’s a black cat sitting on top of my laptop. BUT I DON’T OWN ANY CAT. I was so scared so I ran to my parent’s room and hide there. But then I noticed that I was not in my parent’s room. I was still in my room. The surrounding was similar to mine but it felt eerie. Thankfully, the black cat was not there so I just continued to do my work until late night because I need to submit the report the next day. Look at how dedicated I am” Inhye said proudly.

“Wow, for real though?” asked Mina, eyes wide in horror.

“Nah, I’m just kidding. I forgot to save my work so I had to redo it all over again all night long. I haven’t even slept for a second,” Inhye said yawning while stretching. Typical Inhye with her storytelling. “I need coffee you guys want any?” asked Inhye. The other three friend rolled their eyes after listening to the absurd story but immediately respond to Inhye question. “I can’t drink coffee so tea for me please,” Heeyeon respond winking at Inhye.

“Americano for me and Coffee latte for Mina,” replied Minhee before Inhye walks to the counter. Like this, the four of them; Inhye, Minhee, Mina and Heeyeon walk to university together every Thursday morning. Why Thursday you may ask? Well, because… well… It’s the same day of the week when they all became friends.

 

20th August 2014, Thursday

On a perfect weathered afternoon where the clouds just perfectly covering the sun, all the new intake of University of Science and Engineering (USE for short) were told to gather in front of the school gate. Not knowing what was happening on their first day of school, whispers can be heard from left to right. After a few moments, a figure stands out from all the crowds with a microphone on his left hand, standing tall on a chair. He was wearing a clean white tucked in shirt with black trousers. He looked like a student from the school. A senior probably. Soon enough, the said guy speaks, “Hello, ladies and gentleman, I’m Leeteuk, the president of student council, majoring in BioHealth science. Firstly, I’m welcoming you to University of Science and Engineering.” Loud cheers coming from the crowd with the sound of people clapping their hands.

“Okay, skipping all of that boring introduction, today, we are going play games. This occurs to every one of the new intakes. This is the special rule of USE for every new intake every year. Some might know about this but some don’t. So today, for you to enter the school gate, you must first find all the things listed in the paper you'll be given soon. First, you must be divided into a maximum of fifteen people per team. Ah, also there is punishment for the group that failed to do their mission or the latest to arrive back here,” Leeteuk continued. Surprised by the announcement, the juniors, new intake that is, were then randomly picked into groups by which appears members of student council. Instantly, groups were formed. Among all the groupings, one group appears special to my eyes (“My” as in me the author hehe ). Four different girls with four different personalities standing side by side among the crowds without knowing the what the future holds. So here is how their first meeting goes.

“I think it will be best if we divide ourselves into smaller groups so it won’t take a long time,” A girl with red hair said acting as the leader of the group. “I’ll be dividing our group in four people per group,” added the red-haired girl before dividing the other members into smaller groups. So, these four (special) girls end up being together and were given a task to bring back a pair of yellow colored sock.

“Okay… so… Hi, my name is Lee Inhye, what about you guys?” A petite girl with a warm smile asked.

“I’m Yoo Heeyeon, Nice to meet you,” A girl with round huge eyes responds.

“Hello, I’m Kim Minhee,” A pretty girl with a nice smile and voice said. The three pairs of eyes drifted to the last girl anticipating for her response. “I’m Kwon Mina,” A shy looking girl with dimples on both corners of answers in a small tone. Soon after, the four of them started their mission. A lot of other groups can be seen running around Hongdae street in searching for their own task. Naturally, the four girls started to walk faster and soon running.

They had been running for about 15 minutes long searching for the yellow pair of socks from one shop to another. Every shop they had entered gives them disappointment. But they still try their best to search for it. Who would want to make their own team lose? Moreover, yellow socks are not a rare item so they should be finding them soon they all thought.

In the midst of running, Minhee slows down panting hard and then stop to take a huge breath. The other three girls stop immediately to catch some breath after noticing Minhee. “You guys can go on first. I’ll catch up later,” Minhee said with her pale lip and sweats dribbling down her forehead. “You don’t look so good. Are you okay?” asked Inhye, worried to see the look of Minhee.

“I’m okay, you guys ca-,” In the middle of responding, Minhee collapsed. Mina grabbed Minhee before she hit the cold hard ground and carefully place Minhee’s head down to her lap. Down founded by what was happening, they all begin to panic. “Minhee can you hear me?” Heeyeon asked, shaking Minhee lightly. After a few moments without any response, Heeyeon called for Ambulance. Minhee was then taken to the emergency room. Inhye, Mina, and Heeyeon had to wait outside of the emergency room waiting for news of Minhee. They had all been worried.

The clouds were covering the sky completely leaving only a tint of light of what left of the sun. It was probably going to rain heavily on that day. What feels like it had been about 2 hours’ worth waiting the doctor came out of the emergency room. Eyes looking tired but with a lip curving upwards as he approached the three girls. “You guys are her..?” the doctor asked, eyes looking at the three girls from left to right.

“We are her friends. Is she okay? How is she? She is fine, right?” Inhye asked clearly worried about the current situation.

“Thankfully, she’s fine. She is very lucky to have come here fast,” the doctor said. But what the doctor said next shocked the three young girls.

That day, they all found out that Minhee had a heart problem. To be accurate, Dilated Cardiomyopathy is what the doctor said. Also, that day, Thursday, 20th August 2014, they all had become friends. Best of the best of friends to be exact. Although sadly they won the last place of the mission and receiving their punishment (One whole week of cleaning the school toilets).

 

Dilated Cardiomyopathy occurs when your heart muscle is too weak to pump blood efficiently. The muscles stretch and become thinner. This allows the chambers to your heart to expand. This is also known as enlarged heart. You can inherit it, or it can be due to coronary artery disease. Read more on: http://www.healthline.com/health/heart-disease/cardiomyopathy#Overview1

 


Hello everyone! You've come to the end of the very first chapter. I want to thank you all for coming this far and here's a gif of shy Myungsoo that will come on the next ep.