Will You Help Me Out?

Until We Meet Again.

WILL YOU HELP ME OUT?

 

By the time Baekhyun parked his car in his spot, it was already dawn. Chanyeol who had been sitting behind had been quiet the whole time. Chen who usually was the chirpiest during this time, too was silent. If anyone had told Baekhyun that a simple ice cream trip could turn so eventful, he would have laughed in their face. All his life, his living had been a silent one. Even with ghosts and all that jazz.

Baekhyun got out of the car with a still lost Chanyeol and silent Chen in tow. Somehow, even in this situation he couldn't snicker that for all the other ghosts it must look like Baekhyun had just hired two supernatural bodyguards.

" Mr. Park, I am sure you have a lot of questions.." Baekhyun started as they entered the apartment.

"Chanyeol" Chanyeol replied absentmindedly. " I do."

" Right. Chanyeol. I'll just freshen up. Quickly and then we can talk. Is that okay?" There was no reply.

"Chanyeol?"

As if he just realized that someone was talking to him, he jerked back and then looked at Baekhyun.

"Did you say something?" He asked sheepishly.

It was all new for chanyeol.  The only thing he knew was people turned into ghosts only when they were dead like Chen the whiny person for example. But he? He had just seen his body. It wasn't dead. He was still breathing. But  then how was he still outside of it? But then how did he come out of his body? Does that mean he should go back in? What will happen if he doesn't? The Chen guy had taken him back but it was too late he said. What did that mean? Will he not be able to go back ever? Will he remain like a lost soul forever? What about his family? What about Jongin? Toben? His company? Will he never see them again?

Questions came to his mind one after the other but he had no answers to any of them. He tried coming up with something but to no avail. Groaning as loudly as he could Chanyeol shut his eyes in frustration. He might have to wait for that ghost seeing guy, Baekhyun was it? He still didn't know why he followed that guy. But it was still better than the people who did not know his existence.

“Don't ever do that again.” He heard Baekhyun’s voice and opened his eyes to look at him again.

Do what again? Chanyeol asked all confused.

“Try to close your eyes. It looks creepy as hell”

“What do you mean?

“What I mean is you just think that you have closed your eyes but in reality your eyes are open and that look is a bit creepy which is what scares people the most.”

“You mean to say, I don't actually close my eyes? It's just a figment of my imagination?

“Something like that” Baekhyun shrugged his shoulders as he sat down beside Chanyeol while he dried his hair. “So ask away Chanyeol. I'll try to answer all your questions.”

Waiting no more Chanyeol asked all the questions that had been going on in his mind all at once. Baekhyun’s eyes grew bigger with the amount of questions that he had been bombarded with.

“Woah Woah cool down.” he said as he placed his hand on the tall ghosts shoulder which shocked him enough for him to get up from the couch and run towards the window. Baekhyun realised his mistake. He groaned.

“How can you touch me?” Chanyeol shrieked.

“I just can.”

“ Is this some kind of joke? Am I being pranked? Where are the cameras??” Chanyeol was beyond pissed. It all made sense. People avoiding him on purpose. The hospital was probably a set up as well.  “How dare you prank me? I am PARK CHANYEOL I CAN'T BE PRANKED” .

Baekhyun tried his hardest not to laugh out loud at the outburst. Never in his life had he met such a man and he was friends with Xiumin who was the epitome of over reacting. Park Chanyeol just raised the bar higher than him.

“No Chanyeol you aren't being pranked. It is just what I can do. The ability comes along with the ability to see ghosts. It's a family thing you see.” he explained.

“I choose not to believe you. Prove it.” Chanyeol insisted.

“Okay so if this is a prank how do explain you walking through the walls? Not being able to hold anything in your hands? not being able to touch anything? People ignoring you can be staged. But these things? They cannot be staged however hard you try.” Baekhyun reasoned.

To be honest Chanyeol had reached the same conclusion after some thought and shrugged his shoulders. Baekhyun gave him enough time to think over it before continuing.

“So now that we have established the fact that I can actually touch you, I’ll try to answer your questions. But One at a time please.” Chanyeol nodded.

 

“What is this situation that I am in?”

“You are currently in an out of the body experience. This usually happens when you have a near death experience. The soul feels the body is about to die and leaves the body so that you lose consciousness and avoid the sudden death. That was what happened with you.”

“Out of the body experience?”

“Yep. In the literal sense. Your soul is out of your body. But your body continues to live because it is still connected to your soul.

“What happens when the connection breaks?”

“Your body dies and your soul perishes.”

 

“So how do I go back?”

“ We will have to wait for your mind to return back to consciousness. Your body is still in shock or you would have been back in your body by now.”

“Arent people supposed to die if the soul leaves the body?” Chanyeol asked thoroughly confused.

Baekhyun smiled a little. “Most people believe that but The world is full of surprises and considering the situation you are in, it doesn't. Isn't it exciting?”

 

“NO. Next Question. What did Chen mean when he said we were late?” Baekhyun’s smile faltered a bit but he answered the next question any way.

“Before any major operation the doctors put the patient under anesthesia. But the mind remains in the conscious state for a while before slipping into subconsciousness. In that time period you can actually will your body to physically move. Even if it mean a slight movement of your toes. You could have definitely returned to the body. But the body was still in shock. It wasn't concious enough.”

 

“Isn't it dangerous for me to stay out of the body for a long time?”

“Actually no. Your body and soul are connected to each other by a thin cord called the silver cord. It is just like an umbilical cord providing energy to your soul through your body and vice versa. It is not dangerous but I am sure you would like to go back, right?”

 

“Of course. So when can I go back?”

 

“ The operation will get over in an hour or so maybe. It will take some time for your body come back to consciousness. We give it a few more hours.” Baekhyun checked his watch. “ It's 5 am now. We can go back at noon and try again. You cool with it?”

“Definitely. I can't wait to go back. There are so many things to do. I can't let my work pile up.”

They shared a laugh and baekhyun yawned into it.  Rubbing his eyes he turned around ready to go to his room.

“One more question”  Chanyeol looked sheepishly at Baekhyun’s back before he walked away.  The said man turned around eyes sleepy but an encouraging smile on his lips as he urged the shining soul to speak.

“ Can I like go outside?”

“Of course. It's an out of the body experience enjoy it all you want. Just call for Chen when you want to come back. He will get you back here. Alright?” he gave one last sleepy smile before turning back around. He went to his room to sleep for a while not forgetting to set an alarm for noon.  

Chanyeol smiled as he watched baekhyun walk away. This was a scary situation but it did not feel as scary now. At least he had baekhyun to go to if something happened. He wasn't alone. There was no need to be scared and lonely.  Besides everything would return to normal in a few hours. He had never felt this alone before. He always had Jongin with him. Jongin. He must probably go see how his friend is doing.

Instead of transporting there, Chanyeol decided to walk some of the way to the hospital. The sun was up and he could see people going up and about their business. Shopkeepers cleaning the shops, office goers getting ready for office, children getting ready for school and so on. Some offices were already running and people were already working there. His and jongin’s regular coffee shop was open as well. Every morning they would come here before office to get their dose of caffeine. It also helped that Jongin’s boyfriend Sehun worked here. So chanyeol would leave them alone while he sat at a corner table reading his newspaper while Sehun and Jongin enjoyed their morning together. Sometimes he joined them  sometimes he did not.

He could smell the coffee beans from this far. He almost went in to order his regular Mocha but at the last minute he remembered that he couldn't. Disappointed a bit he began walking in the hospital’s direction.

 The hospital wasn't far and Chanyeol enjoyed the calmness of atmosphere. The last time he had been this carefree was four years ago, the evening at the winter sea in November when he made up his mind about his startup and Jongin had agreed to it. They had spent the whole night drinking and enjoying the sea while a bunch of high schoolers were holding a private campfire in the background. After that their life had turned fast paced. Everything happened to quickly that they barely had time to celebrate their successes entirely or to even rest enough.

As Chanyeol reached the gates, he saw Jongin pacing in the reception area, occasionally groaning in frustration and biting his nails, his nervous habit. A nervous frown marked his forehead. The doctors came outside and informed him that the operation was a success, which relieved some of the tension from Jongin’s shoulders.

“ Mr Park’s body is still in shock but he should be awake by noon. The pain-killers given to him were strong. It will take some time for them to wear-off too.”

Chanyeol could see tears forming in jongin’s eyes as he thanked the doctor repeatedly. As the doctors left, he saw Jongin collapse of the nearby chair and let his tears flow. He wanted to go console him. But he did not know how to do it. Even then he went and sat beside him. He tried to place his hands on his shoulders just as Baekhyun had done to him, but unlike Baekhyun’s his hands passed right through. He felt dejected.

“Jongin-ah. Don't worry about me. I am totally fine. I’ll be there with you in some time. Don't lose hope okay?” Chanyeol said even if knew his friend couldn't hear him.

“ Chanyeol you jerk, why did you have to drive yourself on a rainy day” For a moment Chanyeol thought his friend had actually heard him. His hope died as Jongin continued talking incoherently. He just sat there beside him till he saw Sehun enter the reception.

Jongin looked up. “Sehun…”

Sehun ran towards his boyfriend and hugged him tight. Whispering consoling words while Jongin cried letting out all his sadness.

Chanyeol decided to give them both some privacy even though they didn't know he was there.

.

.

.

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA”

Chanyeol screamed.  Chen had suddenly appeared in while they were in the car and beside Chanyeol. But that was not what scared him. Chen's face was merely inches away from him. So when Chanyeol turned his head away from the window and towards him all he could see were his eyes and a creepy smile. He had screamt in fright causing Baekhyun to stomp on the brakes. Chen who was enjoying watching Chanyeol all flustered couldn't stop laughing.

“ PRICELESS. HIS FACE. PRICELESS.” He said between his fits of laughter.

“What the hell happened?” Baekhyun asked as he looked at the backseat.

“ He appeared out of nowhere. And he was in my face.” Chanyeol replied.  

“Of course he did. Just like you did this morning. God you scared me. I thought you were disappearing or something.” Baekhyun huffed as he put his car in drive again, ignoring the driver of the car behind him who kept swearing at Baekhyun. Something on the lines of “look where you stopping” but Baekhyun did not give a damn.

“ I think I am going to enjoy troubling you more than Xiumin. That  doesn't even react to most of the pranks.” Chen said as his laughter subsidized.  

“ Xiumin cannot see you Chen of course he won't fall for your pranks.” Baekhyun rationalised.

“ Yeah whatever. You are no fun. So he was the only one I could have fun with. But now we have Chanyeol. Oh we are going to have so much fun. Right giant?” He looked at Chanyeol expectantly.

“ You wish. Chanyeol is going back today. You are stuck with me only.” Baekhyun snorted.

“ Whatttt??? Noooooo. We just met.”  

Chanyeol didn't know what to do. So he decided to keep quiet.

“ Oh shut up Chen. You aren't here half the time. Stop with that fake pouty look. You are making Chanyeol feel bad.” Baekhyun said.

Chen looked at Chanyeol who just innocently blinked back at him and sighed.

“Okay okay I was just kidding.”

They all fell into a comfortable silence. As they neared the intersection, Chen looked at Baekhyun and Baekhyun could already see the mischief in his ghost friend’s eyes.

Oh god please no. No. Chen I beg you don't do it.

But of course Chen being Chen did what Bakehyun did not want him to do.

“ Hey Chanyeol, do you know the coffee shop on the opposite side of the road?”

Chanyeol looked over to where Chen was pointing and smiled.

“Of course. I am a regular there. Why?”

“ Ooh a regular. So you must know almost everyone there” Chen looked at Baekhyun. “Chen stop it” he pleaded.

“ Yeah.. mostly.” Chanyeol said not really knowing where this conversation was going.

“That is where Baekhyun's crush works.” Chen completed and sat down.

“ Oh is that so?” Chanyeol asked finally understanding what was going on.

“CHEN. YOU  . IF YOU WEREN'T ALREADY DEAD I WOULD HAVE KILLED YOU RIGHT NOW.” Baekhyun shouted trying hard to shield his face from Chanyeol which had now gone completely red. Chanyeol couldn't help you but find it cute.

“ So Baekhyun who is it?” Chanyeol asked.

Silence.

“Don't know. He won't tell me. He is being pretty secretive. Can you like set up a date for them when you go back? He is too shy to do it himself.”  Chen asked.

“I don't want to go out with him. And you will do no such thing Chanyeol.”

“ Why? What's the problem?” Chanyeol asked.

“ You really need to ask that?” Baekhyun said flatly as he pointed at him and Chen. Oh. Right.

“But what if he accepts you the way you are? What if he is open minded?” Chanyeol argued.

“ People aren't”  was the only thing Baekhyun said.

“ Did you even try?”

“ I did once in college. Lost my best friend. Not gonna do it again.” Baekhyun said with finality.

Nothing was discussed further till they reached the hospital.  

As they got out of the car. Chen spoke.

“ Baekhyun doesn't talk a lot about it but he misses his best friend. But then he won't go and talk to him because he is sacred he would leave again. He didn't mean to shout at you. Just so you know.”  

Chanyeol nodded in understanding as they entered the hospital.

There were hoards of reporters near the reception area when they entered. Jongin was nowhere to be seen. Baekhyun guided past them with some effort until he was finally near the waiting area.  

He saw Jongin standing there talking on the phone. Chen and Chanyeol appeared beside him after a few moments.

“ What do you mean Driving Under Influence? Chanyeol would never do that. Where did you hear all this bull from?” Jongin all but shouted. His back was to them so he did not notice them at all.

Baekhyun understood what was happening. So did Chanyeol. The three of them turned to look at each other and with mutual understanding, Chen and Chanyeol went towards the ICU while Baekhyun followed them.

“ I need to get back soon. This will go out of hands if I don't. Jongin won't be able to handle it alone. We always handle stuff together.” Chanyeol said as he broke into a jog.

Once they reached the ICU Baekhyun waited outside while Chen and Chanyeol entered inside.

“ Remember to concentrate and will yourself to move okay?” Baekhyun reminded. Chanyeol nodded.

Goodbye Park Chanyeol.

He waited patiently. Praying to the almighty to help Chanyeol this time at least.

“ Baekhyun” he heard Chen's voice.  He cleared his throat.

“ It's not happening.” He could here the panic in Chanyeol's voice. “ I cannot go in. It's like my own body is rejecting me. I try to go in but I bounce back out. What should we do? Jongin needs me.”

“ Then keep trying. Go. I'll wait with him.” Bakehyun gave an encouraging smile. Chanyeol took a deep breath and went back inside and Baekhyun walked towards the waiting area. Jongin was still pacing forward and backward typing furiously on his phone. Giving out orders. Calling for security.

“ Park Chanyeol, why are you doing this to me? Can't you just get up?” Jongin muttered.

“ Everything will be fine. Don't worry.” Baekhyun spoke without thinking. Jongin looked up at him. . He hadn't meant to draw attention. Why do you always do such things Bakehyun.

He gave a small smile to Jongin which he returned with one of his own smile and went back to typing on the phone. Baekhyun took out his phone too. Idiot.

He sat there for three hours but neither Chen nor Chanyeol came back. Jongin kept running around the hospital trying to get rid of all the reporters that had gathered.

They were taking a long time. Everything should have been fine by now. Where were they? He was growing anxious by the minute. Finally giving up he went towards the ICU.

He cleared his throat once again. Both Chen and Chanyeol appeared in front of him. The bright light around Chanyeol was a dim now, a sign that he was tired.

“ Nothing happened?” Baekhyun asked even though it was obvious. They shook their heads Chanyeol looked tired.

“ Somebody informed the media that you were DUI when you crashed the car. That they couldn't trust a person who couldn't handle himself or didn't abide by the law. People are buying it because they have nothing to prove otherwise. Jongin had called for a press conference tomorrow to release an official statement. He had been running around arranging everything the whole day. I don't even know if the guy has eaten.” Baekhyun informed them.

“What nonsense is this? And I wasn't under influence.” Chanyeol exclaimed.

“Of course. We have the reports to prove it. Which is why the press conference.”

“ But that won't stop the reports. We need something to deviate the attention towards something that is more important.” Chanyeol huffed.

“ There must be something. Think about it. How did the accident happen? Was there anything unusual?” Baekhyun asked.

“ Ummm...It was my new car. It was just delivered in the afternoon. I wanted to drive it so I steered clear from alcohol the whole time I was at the party. I left the party and it began raining. I was going to go out for a drive but the rain was to dense for it. So I decided to go back home and took a steep U turn. I tried applying the brakes.. the brakes Baekhyun. The brakes weren't working. They were fine that afternoon but in the evening they weren't.”

“ So you mean..” Baekhyun said as it dawned on him.

“ Exactly. It was on purpose. We need to get the car checked out.” Chanyeol said.

“ I'll go tell Jongin about it.” Baekhyun said.

“ As if he will listen to you” Chen interrupted. He had been silent the whole time.

“ What do you mean? Why won't he? I am trying to help.” Baekhyun said.

“ Chen is right. He won't just believe anyone. We need a plan.” Chanyeol said deep in thought. A few minutes passed before Chanyeol spoke again.

“ I have a plan. Will you help me Baekhyun?” He looked at the said person expectantly.

“ What do you have in mind?” Baekhyun asked cautiously.

“ You will have to Gate crash the press conference tomorrow.” Chanyeol said.

.

.

.

___________ 

 

Dont be mad. I know it's too late to post.

I'm sorry. *Hides behind the curtain* 

I'll try to update regularly from now on. 

I am bad at medical stuff so if you find anything worng let me know. 

Constructive criticism appreciated. 

Thank you for patiently waiting for the update. You guys are the best. :*