What do I do with you?

Until We Meet Again.

 

 

April 2017

“Can you shut up for a minute, Chen I am trying my best to study here?” Baekhyun gritted out, his earphones in place.

“Yaah why don't you look at me when you talk? I’m not THAT bad looking am I?” Chen whined. Baekhyun side-glanced at the whiney ghost next to him. Sighing he turned to him completely. It was late anyway no one would be there at the library now except for the librarian and he was sure she wouldn't even blink once even if it looked like he was speaking to himself.

“It doesn't matter if you are good looking or not. People won't be able to see you anyway.” Baekhyun stated.

“Yah! I know I am a ghost. You don't need to rub it in my face every time.” Now Baekhyun felt bad. He knew how sensitive Chen was about this whole ‘being a ghost’ thing. The fact that he couldn't remember what had happened to him, did not allow him to pass on. Which made him really restless and always kept him on the edge. Chen was always with Baekhyun wherever he went except for times where he disappeared for a few days. Baekhyun didn't know where he poofed off to but guessed he probably needed some time for himself where he tried to find traces of his life. Some days he came back with a smile while on the other he would have a frown etched on his forehead and it took some time for him to come back to his old self.

Baekhyun had been able to see ghosts all his life. It was a trait that had been passed on to the males in his family. His grandfather could see the ghosts, his father could see them and now him. No one really knew why the Byuns had this ability but they did. Once a Male Byun reached the age of 18 he could see them. But before that, he was like any other normal kid except for the slight presence of the paranormal beings. When he had told his father about these feelings, his father had taken him to his study and told him about all their family history. Whenever he faced a problem with all such things he always ran to his father. His mother knew it too but she didn't like being associated with all those things. So she would always stay one room away from all the unnatural stuff. Not that his mother hated it. She was just creeped out by it and did not like to associate herself with it. But she was a good mother and Baekhyun loved her. In fact, she was the most loving and the kindest mother. The fact that she had accepted their family’s weirdness with open arms was in itself the proof. But Baekhyun knew how much all of this affected her. So he kept all these things to himself or told them only to his father. At 18, Baekhyun moved out of his parents' house and moved into a rented apartment in the city as it was difficult to commute all the way from the countryside. 

By the time he was 20, Baekhyun had learnt a lot about ghosts. How to identify the good ones. How to avoid the persistent ones and how to try to guess if the person in front of him was a ghost or not.  Ghost looked just like humans except for a slight shimmering light that they had around them. It was so marginal that at times he totally missed it and actually had a conversation with some ghosts in public only to get a weird look not only from his friends but also from the people around him.  People, therefore, were creeped out by him and kept a safe distance from him. Some even pranked him. Like how jobless could these people actually be.

His father had taught him to hold pride in his ability as it wasn't a curse but a boon. So believing his father he had confided in his College best friend Kyungsoo about it. He had believed that the person who had been open accepting about the fact that he was gay would surely understand him, right? Wrong, because from the very next day Kyungsoo had started avoiding him. He still remembered his best friend’s face when he had told him the truth. At first, he had laughed at him saying, “I know Baekhyun that you are a good stirring a bluff but this is just crossing the limit” However when had seen the serious expression on Baekhyun’s face his best friend had gotten up and walked away without even sparing another glance back at him.  Baekhyun couldn't really blame him. Anyone could be creeped out to discover such a thing about a person you thought you knew well. So he let it go even though he missed his best friend a lot. For the next 2 years, he had no friends. He saw Kyungsoo around the campus but they never acknowledged each other anymore. His only solace was the library where no one bothered to even glance at him.

On one such night, a day before his final exams, in the college library he met a cheerful ghost named Chen. Chen was trying to kick the wall but failing miserably as his foot just kept passing through it when he first met him. “You know you need to concentrate really hard for you to be able to hit it” Baekhyun had said to which Chen had just looked at him perplexed. “ You can see me?” He had asked in disbelief, to which he had just rolled his eyes and began walking on his way with a persistent ghost following him. That’s how they became friends. Chen had been his constant shadow after that. He was never really alone. Baekhyun had grown so attached to Chen’s existence that he couldn't imagine him not being there, which was stupid because he knew every ghost had to pass on someday.

Once when both of them were walking with Chen animatedly talking about how he had successfully kicked a football back to the kids in the playground, they had met or rather dashed into Minseok outside a coffee house, he was fuming for some reason and had not been looking where he was going and had accidentally dashed into Baekhyun, successfully dropping the bubblegum ice cream in his hand which Chen loved a lot. Chen had been furious. His beloved ice cream had just eaten dust and all he could do about it was glare at Minseok. Baekhyun was glad Minseok couldn't see Chen or he would have had to run for his life at that moment. Minseok apologized profusely and even offered to buy him another ice cream as a peace offering which made Chen happy but not Baekhyun because he ing hated Bubblegum ice cream. He didn't even understand why people made that flavour. But he could feel Chen looking at him and had to unwillingly agree to it. On the way to the Ice cream parlour, Minseok had told him about how he had just quit his recent job at the coffee house because he wasn't paid enough and the owner had the audacity to let the person who made the best coffee in the entire world just walk away. Minseok’s words not his. "He will regret it one of these days" Minseok had said. Baekhyun had just smiled and Chen had laughed in his face. But then one day both of them had been proven wrong when Minseok made a coffee for him as they hung out at his place and Baekhyun had to agree it was the best thing in the world. Even Chen had been amazed as he saw Minseok make it and Baekhyun appreciate it. In the spur of the moment, both of them decided to open a coffee shop and Chen had gladly agreed to the plan even when no one had asked him. Two years and a lot of hard work and part time jobs later they had finally managed to open up EXO Coffee Bar. It was not in dead centre of Seoul but close enough. After the initial stalling period, the sales picked up pace once they tasted Minseok’s speciality and in no time their coffee bar had become a regular joint for many office goers. In the course of the 4 years things changed. They began hiring more people for the Job. Minseok changed his name to Xiumin for reasons unknown to them and Chen disagreed with it completely. Minseok and Baekhyun became great friends but still, Baekhyun didn't have the courage to tell Minseok about his ability. He didn't want to lose yet another friend because of it. Chen didn't mind it.  In fact, he agreed to what Baekhyun thought.  Chen kept appearing and disappearing from Baekhyun’s side as usual but Baekhyun now spent his time at the Coffee Bar with Minseok as they made plans for future of the Cafe. For the past few weeks, he noticed, whenever Chen returned he was happier than sad. That made him a bit sad but he knew he was just being selfish.

Today as well Chen had returned after days and Baekhyun was so angry that he had snapped. But then seeing Chen sad he realized he had said too much.

“Hey Chen, What about we go have some bubblegum ice cream?” he suggested even though he didn't like it at first he had now grown used to its taste and didn't actually hate it. He could see Chen’s ears perk up at this but that idiot didn't look at him.

“Come on, I know you want it. Are you sure you don't want that blue pink goodness? Are you sure?” Chen didn't budge. Baekhyun got up and started packing his bag. Once he was done he looked back at Chen again and an idea popped up in his mind.

“Ok fine. I am going to get the pineapple one then.” He knew Chen hated it.  So he wasn't surprised when he spun his little ghost head at him, his eyes wide in shock.

“Don't you dare!” Chen’s voice was soft and menacing. But baekhyun didn't care, at least he was reacting. He knew Chen wouldn't hurt him.  (Actually he couldn't unless he tried too hard but Chen was too lazy to try)

“Oh I can. Then you okay with pineapple I guess”

“The hell I am. Get the bubblegum one” Chen shouted and Baekhyun laughed.

“Okay okay you big baby. Lets go. We have to meet Minseok”.  Chen’s face lit up and then died down by the time he finished speaking.

“I don't like you meeting Minseok. You ignore me when he is around. I don't like him. He is taking you away from me.” Chen whined.

“No one is taking me away from you. It's you who goes missing for days leaving me alone.” Baekhyun began walking towards the exit and Chen followed him. He went on to write his out time in the library register while the librarian kept giving him dirty looks.

“Why do you keep talking to yourself so loudly? No one here wants to hear your thoughts you know” The librarian questioned.

“It's not myself i am talking to Ma'am.” Baekhyun replied.

“What do you mean?” The Librarian replied a bit skeptical and confused.

“ Have you ever read Wuthering Heights, Ma'am?” Baekhyun asked. “It's a really good book. I suggest you read it” There was a noise of a book falling down. Baekhyun smirked at Chen who was now standing beside a fallen book and then turned to smile back at the Librarian. “ Have a good night Ma’am”.

But the woman was least interested. Her eyes were now fixated on the fallen copy of Wuthering Heights. Fear evident in her eyes as she kept looking around. Chen laughed at this while Baekhyun left the building as soon as possible before he laughed out loud in the woman’s face. Once outside he sat down laughing hard with Chen beside him. Their bodies shook with laughter but they decided to stop and go get the ice cream before the shop closed down.

It was already night by the time they began driving towards the Coffee Bar after having the bubblegum ice cream.  A light rain had begun falling when they had left the library and in no time it was raining Dinosaurs creating a foggy atmosphere. Chen had been completely quite beside him and if his expression was any proof, he hated the rains. So Baekhyun sighed in relief when it almost stopped raining as they left the ice cream shop because Chen was back to being himself in no time. The fog had cleared a bit so he could now drive without any problems. Chen was still talking about how one day he tried scaring Minseok by blowing in his ear but that stupid Minseok had been wearing earphones effectively ruining his prank and cursing him to hell when he stopped all of a sudden. Baekhyun looked at him to see what was wrong and saw his best friend staring intently at something.

He turned to look as well when his eyes met with a cloud of smoke and a completely destroyed car. Baekhyun hit the brakes. The car stopped with a screech. He called 112 telling them about the accident. His heart was beating fast. He opened the door to get out of the car when it hit him.

An accident had taken place.

Which meant people might have died.

Which meant there would be ghosts.

And he knew from experience that the ghosts from accidents weren't friendly at all.  

They pestered him all the time.

They scared him.

Scared him to the point where he began hating his ability and himself.

He didn't want to go through that feeling again.

He realized another thing, he was being stupid but he couldn't move, the fear gripping him.  Chen reappeared beside him.

“Baekhyun what are you doing? There is a person inside, he is hurt. You need to help him.”

“Yes” I need to help him.

“WHAT YES? YOU NEED TO GET OUT OF THE VEHICLE”

“I KNOW” His legs were stuck he couldn't move.

“THEN GET OUT”

“ I AM” he couldn't move.

“STOP STALLING. GET OUT RIGHT NOW. IF YOU DON'T THE PERSON WILL DIE”  I can't let someone die.

“NO” He shook his head.  I have to get out.

“HE WILL. IF YOU DON'T DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.” Chen was right. If anything happened to him it would be my fault. He took a deep breath and opened the door completely and stepped outside.

As soon as he got out he ran towards the car. It was a complete mess. There was a person inside still conscious which was good. He opened the door while he tried to shield his nose from all the smoke.

“Are you alright? Can you hear me?” Baekhyun said.  The person looked at him before he closed his eyes. “No no you can't close your eyes  yet.” He slapped him awake. “Can you move?” He tried to move the person but  looking at how the man’s face morphed into a painful expression he stopped. “It's okay let’s not move.” The man nodded. Baekhyun took his hands into his own and squeezed as lightly as possible. “The ambulance is on it's way already. Just a few minutes.” The man looked at him again. Baekhyun could see the agony painted on his face as the man blinked in and out of consciousness  Please hold on for a few minutes. He could see him closing his eyes once again. “No no no. Please wait for a few more seconds. It will be worth it.” He could now hear the sirens getting closer. “Can you hear the sirens? The ambulance is here. Another minute. His eyes kept darting from the man in the car and back to the road looking for the ambulance. He noticed that he was losing blood fast from his wound on his arm. Chen appeared beside him. “ Chen his arm is bleeding we need to stop the blood. Can you get my handkerchief from the car?” Baekhyun realized what he was asking Chen to do wasn't really possible and they didn't have time. “Or just wait here make sure he doesn't black out and i'll go get the napkin.” With Baekhyun ran back to the car and soon returned. He tied the napkin to the wound and held onto it.  Just as he did so he heard the sirens behind him and saw the ambulance standing there. He sighed. “They are here, we did it!” he informed the man and watched as the man tried to smile and then completely lost consciousness.

The ER team came and asked about the accident which Baekhyun answered honestly and then they took the man back to the hospital.  

Baekhyun watched the cars go as he stood right there.

“We arrived right in time the ER team said. We basically saved his life didn't we?” Chen asked as he stood beside him.

“We did.” But something was bothering him. He somehow had the urge to go and check up on the guy once again.

“Chen let's go to the hospital,” he said.

“But you hate hospitals don't you? Why do you want to go there?” Chen questioned.

“I need to make sure the guy is okay. The look in his eyes just before he out. It bothered me. Let's go.” He voiced his concerns as the man’s almost lifeless eyes entered his mind.

They sped the way the ambulance went and and soon reached the hospital. Chen disappeared as soon as they entered the parking while Baekhyun parked his car.  When he entered the reception area Chen fell in step next to him.

“He is currently in Operation theatre. They said he since he hadn't hurt his spine he would be fine. But he lost a lot of blood. He even has a hairline fracture in his ankle but their first priority is the back. The operation timer read 6 hours so well have to wait that long. His vitals are normal though which is a good thing.” Chen informed.  Baekhyun was thankful that the damage wasn't beyond repair.

“Let's go to the waiting area. I need to see that he is fine before we leave.” Chen nodded.  Baekhyun quickly sent a text to Xiumin about what happened and told him that he would meet him tomorrow.  They sat there quietly while he looked around only now realizing that he was in a hospital. The place basically swarmed with ghosts. He could feel the eyes on him but he ignored him as he plugged his earphones and closed his eyes. Not soon after he fell into a light sleep as the events of the night took over him.

He woke up to someone calling out his name. Looking around he found Chen looking at him and back at a guy who was now sitting at the opposite end of the room. The guy had his hands on his face with his elbows resting on his thighs. He kept checking his watch every 2 seconds.

“That guy came in and asked for Park Chanyeol. He-” Chen started confusing Baekhyun

“Park Chanyeol? You mean the entrepreneur? Why is he here? is he not well?” he asked in hushed tones.

“No you idiot. The guy we saved was THE Park Chanyeol. I don't know how we didn't notice it but it was him.” Chen said.

“What?” Baekhyun thought the guy had looked familiar, but Park Chanyeol? He looked back at the hunched guy sitting in the waiting room and realized it was Kim Jongin, Park Chanyeol’s partner.

“Okay what should I do now? Do I talk to him? No I think we should wait. How much time for the operation to get over?” He checked the clock on the opposite wall. An hour more to go he thought and decided to get some coffee for himself.  He got up and walked to get one while Chen again disappeared somewhere.  

As he turned the corner he saw someone standing by the vending machine and from the looks of it he was standing there for a long time.

“If you can't decide what you want please let others use the machine.” He said as he walked towards him. The guy froze in place. Baekhyun chuckled as he inserted the money in the machine and he selected the coffee he wanted.

“You can see me?” A low husky voice asked behind him.

It was Baekhyun’s turn to freeze. The only people who ever asked him that were ghosts. Did he talk to one again without realizing?He mentally facepalmed himself. He looked up his hands still hovering over the keypad of the vending machine. He took a deep breath before he spun around and looked at the person behind him. Black surprised orbs stared back at his blue ones. Eyebrows high with his ears sticking out like the elfs, there stood a man wearing a black suit, a wine red tie, leather shoes and an expensive looking watch.

It was Park Chanyeol.

But that can't be right.

Park chanyeol should be in the OT not in front of the vending machine getting coffee.

But the person in front of him was Park Chanyeol as well.

But then.

How.

He looked back at him and then closed his eyes when eyes saw the shimmering light around the figure. He sighed. It was Park Chanyeol’s soul. He contemplated walking away but then he couldn't. He had already acknowledged his presence.

“Yes I can”

He finally said to the man who was looking expectantly at him. “But you shouldn't be here. Please go back to the OT.” He said with a finality in his tone before walking away.

Chanyeol stood there perplexed as he watched the short guy walk away. He couldn't really comprehend what was happening. All he remembered was driving his car and then he was suddenly in a hospital roaming aimlessly. The people not being aware of his presence. He had even tried talking to some but they had downright ignored him and continued doing their work. So he kept roaming until he found someone who could spare him a glance. Tired of roaming he decided to get a drink when he heard the short guy teasing him. At first he thought maybe it wasn't him he was talking to but when the guy looked his way and chuckled, Chanyeol was thanking the heavens that at least someone was there with him.  But then the guy began sprouting nonsense like Chanyeol needed to go back to the operation theatre. Why? But by the time he could process everything the guy was nowhere to be found. Chanyeol  ran in the general direction of where the man must have gone and was thankful when he saw the same guy with another ‘shining’ guy at the reception area.

“Hey” he shouted. The shining guy turned while the short guy kept walking ahead. They were talking in hushed tones but kept on walking ahead.

“Hey wait. I need to talk to you.” But they didn't stop walking until they reached the parking. Chanyeol kept following him when both of them suddenly turned.

“Finally you decide to stop.” He said a bit breathlessly.

“What do you want?” the short guy from the vending machine asked in a curt tone which didn't go unnoticed by him.

“What.. what did you mean by that? Going back to the operation theatre I mean. Why was I there in the first place that I need to go back?” Chanyeol asked.

“What are you talking about?” The shining guy asked. “ Don't you remember anything at all?”

“Remember what?” Chanyeol asked curiously.

“Oh God Baekhyun this guy does not remember anything. He is just like me. What should we do?” The shining guy asked while the short guy looked at him as if he was deciding something. He then sighed in tiredness and looked back at the shining guy.

“Not only that Chen. He doesn't know WHAT he is right now.” He replied to the shining guy (Chen was it?)

“Just to clarify I do know WHAT I am. I am a human being.” Chanyeol said with such conviction that Baekhyun didn't have the heart to break it to him.

“See what I mean?” Baekhyun looked back at Chen and Chen sighed in agreement.  

“Listen Mr. Park you need to go back to the Operation Theatre now. Chen will take you as I cannot go there.” Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol his eyes soft as he looked from him to Chen.

“Why? Why can't you go? Why do I have to go?

“You’ll know once you get there. “

“I am not going anywhere with the shining guy.”

“Shining guy?” Baekhyun and Chen asked simultaneously.

“He is shining from all sides.  It's freaking me out I am not going anywhere with him.”

Baekhyun’s lips cracked a smile.  This guy was too cute.

“Well then Mr. Park You are shining too. So should we call you a shining guy as well?” Baekhyun asked his smile still in place.

“What do you mean I am shining?” Baekhyun said nothing just jutted his chin out signalling Chanyeol to look at himself. Chanyeol looked down at his hands and he could see a thin white glowing light surrounding them.  He looked down at his body and the light was still there.

“Holy ! What is this light?” He twisted and turned his hands, shook them violently but the light was still there. “ Why won't it go away? AAAAHHHHHHHHHH” He began jumping around, twisting his body as much as he could but the light remained. “Is it there around my face as well?” He touched his face. “It's there it's there. What should I do? I won't come off. Help me someone.” He cried as he kept jerking his body around as if that could help him get rid of it.

Baekhyun and Chen watched at him in amazement. Both their eyes glued to the overreacting ghost as they stood there surprised. “Hey Chen, are you sure this is  the soul of the PARK CHANYEOL who is the owner of Toben INC.? Are you sure you didn't get it wrong?”Baekhyun asked as said soul kept trying to get rid of the “shining”.  Right at that moment Park Chanyeol was trying to blow away the light literally.

“Yeah I was sure. But I am not anymore right now.” Chen replied as shocked as him. Eventually Chanyeol gave up on chasing away the light and sat down cross-legged on the ground. His lips held a pout, his head hung low as he kept looking at the light on his hands.

“It won't go away will it?” He finally asked looking up at the two people staring down at him. Baekhyun felt sorry for him. He wanted to console him but now was not the time. If he wanted to save Chanyeol he needed to get him back to the operating table. RIGHT NOW.

“Chen please take him back. We don't have much time. You know what will happen if he doesn't go back. I’ll wait for you here. Please come back soon.” He bent down to look at the sitting figure and spoke in a soft voice, “Chanyeol-ssi I know this is all a bit overwhelming but can you please go with Chen? He will explain everything to you.”  Chanyeol looked like a lost child right now and he wanted to help him find his home. This is the best thing he could do. He urged him to get up and follow Chen who was already waiting for him. Chanyeol after a bit of struggle agreed to go with the shining guy as Baekhyun stood there watch him go.

The problem was if Chanyeol’s soul didn't get back to his body within 5 hours he might have to remain as a soul for at least 20 days before he could try again. It had already been five hours for the operation at least and he didn't know when Chanyeol’s soul left the body. He prayed it was sometime later than the time they started the operation. He had seen it happen to someone before and he didn't want Chanyeol to have the same fate.

In the time he waited for Chen to return, Baekhyun whispered a small prayer to the almighty to help Chanyeol’s soul get back to his body and give him a healthy future. Yet when Chen returned he knew his prayers had fallen on deaf ears as he saw a tall shining figure following Chen. The only thing Chen said when they settled in the car was, “We were late”. Baekhyun sighed.

What do I do with you now Park Chanyeol?

.

.

.

 

____________________________

 

Props to people who sang 'just like a diamond' after reading Shining. 

ALSO: PLEASE DONT HATE ME