In Heaven

Girl Next Door

When Jaejoong was five years old he thought that marriage was this beautiful fairytale where he would get to wear a poofy dress and kiss his prince. 

When Jaejoong was fifteen, he stole his sisters' wedding magazines and fantasied about a ceremony with doves and white lilies everywhere. He would marry on the beach and arrive there on horseback. 

When Jaejoong was twenty five his neighbor proposed to him and he found it awfully romantic. His heart broke a little when he realized Yunho didn't mean it like that and wanted them to be boyfriends instead. He thinks it's fine because he should not expect anything from a guy who thought he was a girl for the better part of his life.  

Jaejoong's thirty now and he thinks that marriage is ridiculous and his past obsession with it was embarrassing. He's been in a stable relationship with Yunho for five years and that should be enough. They moved out of their apartments when Yunho got promoted and bought a house. They have a pet cat which wreaks chaos whenever they're not around and a Samoyed which was supposed to be a guard dog but loves sleeping on the couch and doesn't listen to them. 

He's together with the love of his life and there's nothing else he could ask for so there is no excuse why Jaejoong feels sad at the invitation he gets for his sister to attend her wedding.

 

--

 

Jaejoong doesn't feel like talking much at work. He checks the quality of the materials as he does every morning, goes down to the shop to see if everything is alright there and then locks himself into his office. He's supposed to work on the new winter collection but there's no inspiration or joy. He slumps on the table, looking sadly at the crystal elephant figurine Yunho gave him for his birthday.

Jaejoong knows Yunho loves him a lot. He knows he's beating himself up for not returning everything Jaejoong does for him in the bedroom but Jaejoong doesn’t even want him to. He doesn't know how to convince his boyfriend that it's enough. He doesn't need Yunho to change. He doesn't need anything at all. Yunho's the perfect boyfriend that he wants to keep forever but he's also just that- a boyfriend. He doesn't think Yunho would ever break up with him if there wasn't a serious reason but he finds himself sulking at the idea nonetheless.

He blames it all on his sister who just had to steal his idea for the perfect wedding- the horseback, the doves and the lilies. The only thing missing is the beach. 

 

--

 

He runs into Yoochun by accident. Their buildings aren't that far away so he's seen the man around a couple of times but they never interacted much, mostly just acknowledged each other's presence. This time, however, he seems strangely enthusiastic so they end up eating lunch together. 

'So, has Yunho asked you yet?' he wonders when they order the business lunch and Jaejoong's relaxed against the plush cafe cushions. He has no ideas what the other is talking about but he's willing to listen. 

'Asked me what?'

'Oh. So he hasn't'

Jaejoong frowns because whatever it is, it must be important if Yoochun's asked about it. 

'Maybe you can help me out?' he offers, smiling kindly. It never hurts to try. 

Yunho's colleague shakes his head, refusing to even acknowledge such request. 

'He will tell you when the time's right' he says and Jaejoong nods. He sure hopes he will.

 

--

 

He doesn't. 

The time never comes because Yunho's lips are sealed. 

Jaejoong waited for him to say something on their 5 year and 3 months anniversary, he waited on their first-dance anniversary, he expected something on their monthly cinema night but nothing happened except for the movie. Jaejoong sure hopes Yoochun wasn't worried about his preference for salty or sweet popcorn because that's the only thing Yunho asks him that evening. 

He waits and waits but he grows tired of waiting, sleeping boneless on the couch one evening. He's waiting for Yunho to come home because he's late again. It's the Yunho's second-confession anniversary and Jaejoong feels lonely. 

He doesn't notice that the tears start falling before it's already too late and Yunho's opening the front door, announcing that he's finally home. Jaejoong tries his best to wipe the tears away but he knows his eyes are red and the streams from his tears are visible on his cheeks. 

'Jae, you won't believe what Junsu asked me to-' Yunho begins while removing his shoes and looks up, being met with his crying beauty. 'Day' he finishes in a trance, going closer slowly, as if afraid he will scare the other off.

'What happened?' he wonders as he traces Jaejoong's cheek and his boyfriend shrugs in return.

'I don't know' he admits honestly, pressing his lover's palm to his face, closing his eyes and savoring the feeling.'I missed you, I guess. And I was feeling lonely and I seem to be waiting for something although I don't know what it could be and it's not happening' He opens his eyes, staring at the other before taking a step back and smiling bitterly. 'I'm sorry, Yunho, I'm talking nonsense. I guess I'm just tired' he admits and lets out a long yawn as it to accent his point. 

'Going to bed now' Jaejoong tells him and turns, leaving Yunho confused and a little bit sad.

 

--

 

'Jaejoong, do you want to marry me?'

Yunho asks him the next morning without any preparation or a plan. The other has stuffed half of a sandwich into his mouth and is now looking back at him like a startled animal.

'W-t?' he manages through the obstacle in his mouth and Yunho looks at the table, one of his hands shooting up at his neck and rubbing it nervously. 

'I mean, I know you think it's silly and unnecessary but I think that maybe, you know, it would be nice to have some kind of a confirmation for- both of us to feel like this is really serious?'

'But this already is really serious' Jaejoong retorts, eyes still wide.

'Yeah, yeah, I know' Yunho says, shrugging helplessly. 'But I want to- I don't know- have you as my husband, a partner? Organize something among our friends and families for it to seem like a real ceremony and- ' he sighs, feeling defeated. 'Sometimes I feel insecure, Jae. Sometimes I feel inadequate and sometimes I just want to have that feeling of extra safety that you will not just walk away. I want to know that you love me and you care and you have made a promise not only to me but to all of our friends and relatives and- I'm sorry that I am such a-' but Yunho doesn't finish that sentence because Jaejoong's lips are on his own the next moment, swallowing each new word he had planned to say. 

'Of course I want to marry you!' Jaejoong says, eyes filled with tears as he leans in to kiss Yunho again. He doesn't think he's ever felt more emotionally vulnerable than right now. 

 

--

 

They plan a small ceremony within the next month. Jaejoong gets his beach and doves but Yunho is completely against the horse because it's messy and hurts the animal. Instead of white lilies Yunho orders white roses. Jaejoong forgives him the miscommunication after a bit of sulking. 

He gets his two-Yunho-salary-worth ring and finds it ridiculous (-ly pretty), complaining that he shouldn't have done this but slipping the diamond encrusted platinum band onto his finger nonetheless.

'I didn't have the heart to return it' Yunho explains and Jaejoong tells him he's an idiot. 

They invite their parents, their friends and all of Jaejoong's sisters which results in the ceremony being way bigger than Yunho initially intended. Jaejoong's sisters insist on taking care of their baby brother despite his utmost protests. 

When they are done with him, Jaejoong looks absolutely stunning- not that he doesn't usually- but now even more so. He's in a white suit with his hair styled up and eyes rimmed by dark eyeliner and Yunho wonders why did it take him so long to ask such a simple question. The stars in the sky dim in comparison to the stars in his lover's eyes and he's never seen anything more beautiful than that. 

'I love you' Jaejoong says, quietly, when they stand hand in hand facing each other and Yunho can swear he hears Changmin retching somewhere in the background. 

'I love you more' he smiles and kisses him tenderly and everyone - except for one tall, stupid looking bastard- stands up, applauding in approval. 

It's embarrassing but beautiful at the same time and Yunho feels his heart filling with immense joy. He knows he wouldn't change this moment for anything. 

 

--

 

'How are the moles?' Yunho asks Junsu when all of them have gathered in the restaurant of their choosing, appreciating the buffet that Yunho spent entirely too much money on. 

'Mostly dead' his friends answers nonchalantly, on a chicken bone. 

 

 

The End

 

 

a/n: This is so much fluff I'm going to barf. I’m with Changmin here. Maybe I can add a bonus chapter but maybe I should leave the ending like this because I really like it. <3 Anyway, thank you everyone for reading, commenting and upvoting this story. Kisses all around ;D