Lisa.

The Flowers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

poppy / my kind of woman

 

 

“Where are you headed off to?” Jennie asked through a handful of popcorn she’d stuffed in . She lounged in front of the TV with some black and white movie on.

 

I had given up a while ago on asking what she was watching. Last time I asked she made me sit with her through six hours of German arthouse films.

 

“I’m going to dinner with some other international students.” I answered, crouching down to put on my shoes.

 

“Ah, that’s right… Have fun!” Jennie smiled, waving noncommittally. I smiled back as I finished tying my laces and went out the door.

 

The kids at the daycare giggled and ran around in the yard as I walked past. The bus pulled up as I made my way to the stop. I jogged up to the door and swiped my card, happy I decided to wear sneakers instead of the heels Rose had insisted I borrow.

 

I popped in my ear buds and let my head fall against the glass softly. I could see the choreography in my mind, my limbs twitching instinctively.

 

My eyes fluttered open as a faint scent of aftershave and spearmint drifted to my nose. I moved closer to the window in surprise as I realized someone had sat down next to me.

 

“You look really nice.” Jungkook greeted, not seeming to notice that he had startled me. “Are you going somewhere?”

 

I pulled out an earphone as I relaxed in my seat. I smiled politely in thanks.

 

“Yes, to dinner.”

 

“Oh… a date?”

 

“No, with other international students.”

 

I tried to ignore the relief that washed over his face.

 

. . .

 

“Lalisa!”

 

My lips curved into a wide smile as I heard my name shouted from outside the restaurant.

 

Two boys stood side by side, dwarfing the smiling girl in between them. Ten and Sorn were a year older, but Bambam was my age and also a first year student.

 

I gave each of the three a hug, having to bend slightly to reach Sorn’s height.

 

Ten led us into the restaurant, greeting his other friends. We sat together, chatting back and forth comfortably as if it hadn’t been almost a month since we’d seen each other last. Well, I’d seen Bambam earlier than that but he didn’t really count.

 

More than anything, the comfort came from being able to speak my own language. In the city the three of them were the only pieces of home I had.

 

Sorn and Ten left once the students were split up by major. I took a small sip of my water, arching an eyebrow as Bambam hit me to get my attention.

 

“Can I sit here?” A girl with a long bobbed black hair asked. Before I could say anything Bambam was already nodding profusely.

 

“Of course!” He answered energetically, pulling out a chair for her.

 

“You’re in the dance department as well?” I asked, kicking Bambam under the table as a warning to calm down.

 

“Yes, my name is Hirai Momo.” She smile luminously. “I’m a first year.”

 

“I’m Bambam, this is Lisa.” He poked at me, earning a quick glare. “We’re also first years.”

 

I returned her smile politely, but I didn’t have the confidence Bambam had. He was the one that walked up to others and could easi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter