Rose.

The Flowers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

fazerdaze / lucky girl

 

 

I came to Seoul with my guitar and a suitcase.

 

There was a quiet spring wind that whistled through the trees. I could hear children’s laughter coming from the daycare center down the road. The house didn’t seem much to me at first, but now as I stood in front of the gates, it seemed like a giant covered in ivy.

 

I found the listing for a room in a sharehouse near my university. I would have to share the room with someone else, but it was cheaper than the dormitories and I would automatically know someone else in the city.

 

I opened the door with the key I’d been mailed and stepped in, carefully setting my shoes to the side. I placed my luggage in the middle of the living room to catch my breath and was drawn to a familiar figure on the table.

 

“Gardenias.”

 

I unconsciously reached toward the flowers, their white petals soft under the pads of my fingers. It immediately made me miss my mom and her garden she dutifully tended to each day.

 

“Our landlord brings them to us every week.” A voice explained. I watched as Jennie came from the kitchen bringing two cups of tea. “Do you like flowers?”

 

“Ah, yes. My nickname is Rose.”

 

“That’s pretty! Do you mind if we call you Rose?” Jennie asked, handing me the second mug. “To be honest, our last roommate was also named Chaeyoung so it might be a bit confusing for us.”

 

“I don’t mind.” I smiled, taking a sip of the tea.

 

Jennie was the first housemate I had met. She was a theatre major with long hair as shiny and smooth as silk. She showed me to my room that I would share with a girl my age, an international student from Thailand.

 

I told her I was worried about adjusting to city life and she assured me I’d be fine. When I asked where she was from, she answered: ‘Nowhere in particular.’

 

“Do you need help unpacking?” Jennie asked.

 

The room was in perfect order, which made me feel nervous.

 

“No, I think I should be fine.” I answered shyly.

 

“Okay, well we’re having a welcome dinner tonight around six so feel free to relax and get everything together until then. I’ll be down the hall if you need anything.”

 

It didn’t feel real until I was alone in the room, the door closed. The house was quiet.

 

I unpacked slowly, conscious not to move anything on the other side of the room. Her bed was made almost to military standards, and her desk was perfectly organized. Even the pictures on the wall were completely even. I noticed Jennie in one of the pictures, with who I assumed was Lisa and two others girls.

 

I placed my clothes in my dresser, and carefully made my bed. I put the bear I’d had since I was a child in the center of my pillows. One by one, I arranged the little trinkets I’d brought to remind me of home.

 

I slid my empty luggage under my bed and leaned my guitar against my desk. I stepped back to admire my work.

 

Somehow, even though I had organized everything with such care, it stilled looked messier than the other side of room. I sighed in defeat, throwing myself onto the bed.

 

I glanced at the clock on my phone. I’d been in Seoul for three hours.

 

I missed my mom.

 

 

The house came alive as the afternoon became evening.

 

As promised, the housemates busily moved around the kitchen to prepare a welcome dinner. I met my roommate, Lisa, who seemed to be in charge of cooking. I also met the oldest, Jisoo, who I learned had been in the house all day sleeping.

 

“Hayi’s not coming right?” Jennie asked, her hair tied into two little dumplings on either side of her head.

 

Jisoo mumbled in affirmation, snacking on bean sprouts stolen from Lisa. Jennie brought over plates of side dishes. I offered to help but they insisted I sit down as guest of honor as they brought the rest o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter