FIFTEEN

Black Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Blood

 

 

 

 

 

Jungkook tried not to scream when the first arrow whistled past him, whizzing dangerously close to his horse as he steered Twilight wildly, Shinhwa screaming in terror when an arrow struck the ground beside her steed's hooves, the horse whinnying in panic. The archers on top of Goguryeo's defensive walls readied for another attack, and Jungkook was sure this time, their arrows would hit home.

But he trusted his instinct.

He had made sure to watch prince Chanyeol, the prince trailing them all the way to his home country, and right now he could see Chanyeol's shape, charging at full speed towards them and yelling at the troops on the defensive wall. The lead archer, from Jungkook's line of sight, held up an arm to stop the archers from firing, Chanyeol skidding to a stop before Jungkook.

"Are you a fool or are you mad?" Chanyeol hissed. "My father will kill you!"

"He won't if I tell him you sent me," Jungkook replied calmly, cocking his head like a curious bird. "And I know your father is a man of peace, he won't do anything brashly or spill innocent blood." Chanyeol snarled at him.

"How do I know you are not a traitor that prince Taehyung sent to retrieve his cousin?" Chanyeol hissed furiously, pulling his nervously pacing horse to a complete stop beside Jungkook. "How do I know that you mean my family no harm?"

"You can judge by how I left Kim Taehyung back there alone." Although Jungkook's heart squeezed painfully, knowing that his love will never be returned if Taehyung knew the truth, he held his head proudly, without an ounce of fear. "I left him because I think it is wrong of him to hate you like this, and I think that you're right: You're free to love whomever you want, regardless of gender or status."

"How would you understand me?" Chanyeol laughed mockingly. "I do not feel inclined to believe you, unless you are the same kind of person I am."

"Perhaps I am," Jungkook whispered, too soft for Chanyeol to hear him. "Maybe because I love someone who will never love me for who I truly am."

But apparently Chanyeol heard that. "You are in love with Taehyung, are you not? I guessed as such. But he does love you, anyone can see it in the way he looks at you. You bring out the best in him none of his family ever could, not even Mingyu."

"But does he see beyond this face?" Jungkook challenged, poking at his own chest painfully. "Does he see me for who I am, and not who I appear to be? Does he love me not for my looks, but for my character?"

Shinhwa trotted up on her horse to stand beside him, gently wiping the tear sliding down Jungkook's face, uncontrolled. "Your highness, we only want to plead sanctuary, at least until my lady has herself under control well enough to return. I beg of you, prince Chanyeol, to grant us this one boon."

Chanyeol looked at Shinhwa, and then at Jungkook, who was looking down, tears dripping on Twilight's dark mane, chest heaving from the pent-up frustration, and his expression softened. "I shall ask Father to accomodate, and all I ask in return is for you to protect my husband." He glanced at the bow and arrows slung over Jungkook's back. "To carry such a weapon, one must be an experienced warrior."

"She is, your highness," Shinhwa looked sadly at Jungkook. "Will you allow us in now?"

"Follow me," Chanyeol beckoned and trotted off, the huge gates of Goguryeo's citadel opening wide for them to enter and witness the majesty of Goguryeo.

 

 

"This is Baekhyun, Taehyung's cousin," Chanyeol looked slightly embarassed as he introduced Jungkook to a young man who looked so eerily like Taehyung it was hard to believe they weren't brothers, but cousins. But there were notable differences between them, obvious enough to differentiate them, but they were alike enough for the resemblance to tug painfully at Jungkook's heartstrings.

Baekhyun was softer-spoken, gentler, and he was all smooth curves whereas Taehyung was all sharp edges, harsher and with a clearer focus on his razor sharp character. It was like comparing a photograph, Jungkook realized. Baekhyun was a blurred, unclear shot while Taehyung was a sharp, clear photo, every pixel in brightest technicolor. 

But one thing they shared in common was the stubborn, fierce glint of protectiveness in those identical brown eyes, the need to protect those they held dear, and Jungkook had no doubt that was how Taehyung looked at him, complicated feelings overlapping over each other and yet shining with truth. Baekhyun knew how it felt to be rejected, by his own cousins nonetheless, but here he was, living in bliss to the best of his ability. 

Jungkook selfishly wanted that bliss for himself, to be the owner of those feelings, but the blinding glare of truth was unyielding:

Taehyung would never love him if he spoke as himself, as Jungkook, and not Jiyeon. Taehyung loved Jiyeon, but Jungkook didn't want to be Jiyeon. He wanted to live freely, and not be bound by stupid rules and beliefs.

He had only two choices: be Taehyung's, or be Jungkook.

"A pleasure, Jiyeon," Prince Consort Byun Baekhyun inclined his head in acknowledgment. "I take it you will be my personal guard for the time Chanyeol will be away?" Jungkook nodded, his dark hair swishing as he bobbed his head. Shinhwa curtseyed deeply beside him, her hair mussed, her clothes rumpled, but still managing to appear graceful and regal.

Shinhwa would make an exceptional princess, and an excellent queen, Jungkook mused as he tugged at his tunic sleeve uncomfortably. He really needed a cold bath and a long nap right now. 

"Good," Baekhyun smiled, the spark of genuine happiness too real to be fake. "Would you accompany me to the gates? I would like to send my husband off."

"Of course, your highness," Jungkook nodded at Chanyeol, who smiled in understanding. Shinhwa had spilled the beans to Chanyeol, who swore to keep it secret, and Baekhyun was in the dark. All that mattered now was whether Taehyung came for Jungkook or not. Jungkook was torn between hoping he would come, and wishing he would stay far away. He didn't need Taehyung's pointless anger directed at him.

But it didn't stop him from wishing Taehyung were here

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter