It'll Leave You Breathless

Blank Space
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A view of a man busy with phone unsteady on the crook of his neck and papers scattered on his desk greets her when she pushed the dark oak window before her. He shot his head up when he heard heels clanking loudly on the hard wooden floor. With a simple gesture from him, she knew she needs to wait in his favorite sofa set. Sofa set designed by his great architect son, like he always said to every guest or business partner visited this room.

Gwiboon’s sitting uncomfortably on the fine leather and kept checking her phone as if it’s going to explode anytime whenever she missed a glance. She regretted her decision not to take Minho along. This would be awkward. With Minho by her side, at least she could pretend she talked to Minho instead of her father.

“Have you had lunch?”

She nods even the last meal she got is only almond milk this morning.

“If you need help with your application I could find some agent to take care of them.”

Nothing happened as Gwiboon clutched the fabric of her wide pants and kept her head down.

“Kim Gwiboon, look at me,” terrified with all the worst case scenarios in her mind, she braced herself to make an eye contact with her father, “Here. I hate seeing my daughter took me as a bad guy. Well, I know I’m not a good one, Gwiboon. But I’ve already tried the best to keep my patience. I gave you chances. A lot. But then every other days I heard that you kept failing and God, that was hurt.”

It hurts me more every single time I heard you saying I failed, Dad.

“I’m sorry, Dad.”

He sighed, as heavy as Gwiboon’s heart, “Your mother and I always wanted the best for you. Since you’re little, you carried magic in your hand whenever you sneaked into the kitchen. And maybe that’s your path, honey.”

“But I love making clothes as much as cooking. I’m good at both.”

“That’s why I pushed you to take this opportunity. Maybe being fashion designer it’s not for you.”

Something strangled . Her chest felt like pierced by thousand nails, again and again. But she has nothing left to cry. To even break down and being her usual spoiled brat whining to get what she wanted.

“Is it not enough for you making such a distance with Jonghyun? You took his dream away. Are you really that cruel making me experiencing the same torment with my brother?”

“Kim Gwiboon.”

“Is it not enough for you making him took those pills every single night before his final exam just to keep him alive while his soul already gone with his future that you thrown away?! I am not Jonghyun, Dad! He loved you and Mom too much he couldn’t see both of you being disappointed! But I am selfish just like other people out there told me! This is my dream! Not yours!”

“Enough, Gwiboon.”

“No, no, I won’t stop! I made it to every fashion week in my department! I participated in national exhibition! I got praised for my hard work! I’m not going to stop, Dad.”

“But you didn’t get the internship. Simple matter like that and you missed it, Gwiboon. I might sounds harsh but you need to understand what reality is. What life had offered to you. You’re too busy chasing something that maybe already far beyond you.”

“I never won any cooking contest, Dad. That should tell you something.”

“But your dessert recipe got into this hotel restaurant since you’re middle school. You served amazing dinners for those people who chose to eat in our bistro. That should tell you something, too.”

Gwiboon realized she’s already had no more chances to argue. All the excuses about her and her brother do nothing and waste all the energy left inside her thin limb.

“I understand all your concern. Jonghyun said you got into the winter fashion week. Again. Your mother and I are happy to hear that and we want you to join that event. Until then, spend some times in the kitchen, at least once a week.”

Something sparks inside her chest.

Did Jonghyun actually tell him? Did Jonghyun actually care? Have Jonghyun and their father finally talked to each other again?

“I love you, Gwiboon. And I love your brother. You have lots of time before you move to Chicago.”

***

“He told you what?!?!!”

Gwiboon put her phone as far as she could while Minho’s screeching like broken alarm on the other line. She let him muttering alone for a while until he called her frantically, realized that she hasn’t been listening at all.

“Gwiboon-ah! Are you there?!”

“I heard you, idiot! Your voice could be heard within the neighborhood just now.”

“Is it Christmas yet? That’s so much miracle your Dad let you stay.”

She rolled her eyes for the nth time that day, “He didn’t! He gave me chance to finish the fashion week. By this time next year, we’re already miles apart, Choi.”

There’s a long pause before finally Gwiboon’s sighing again, “This is it, huh? I’m finally leaving you.”

“You think I bought a phone and laptop to cut a carrot? Have you heard about internet?”

Grieving smile crept into her face while looking at the cup in front of her. Being together with Minho almost eight years definitely would leave her some broken heart when she finally took the final flight. Being the only best friend she can kept, made him the most important person in all her devastating moments.

“I will miss you for sure, dude.”

“What are you talking about? You go for school, it’s not like you’ll be there forever. It will only last three or four years top. You think your Dad pay for your expense so you can spend years away from him without paying back? There’s a restaurant you need to run.”

She chuckled, making the tears already gathered on the rim of her eyes dropped without her consent.

“Listen, Kim Gwiboon. You’ll be fine, honey. I bet all of my jersey for you. However, whenever you feel like facing the deadlock, go to your phone and give me a call. I’ll be there at the soonest.”

Minho just made it worst for Gwiboon. She passed this past years fighting for what she believed. Being the y one, the cold one, the not-interested-to-your-problem one, she did all of those stuff not only to convince her parents that this path is the perfect one for her, but also to prove her entire life to herself, that she actually worth something.

“I have your word. In the future, when you’re being petty and refused to catch a flight to be my side, you’ll see, Choi Minho. I will hunt you down with the finest knife ever crafted.”

With one last loud laugh, Minho ended the call from the other line.

She looked to her cup once again, hoping the dark surface of her coffee would show her, her real reflection. But that deep brown liquid just staring back at her, showing emptiness. Like mirroring what’s inside her heart.

Gwiboon then remember the text she received from her professor before she called Minho. She wanted to discuss the slot for opening walk for her at the fashion week. While contemplating whether she told her about her soon departure at this meeting or later, a man walked into the shop and her world turned upside down in a flash.

He looked incredibly gorgeous in his simple black sweater and the same color ripped jeans. His hand stopped tousling his hair back when his eyes catching a pair of fine feline ones.

Just like the first time their eyes met, she’s not avoiding those stern look and locking their gaze instead.

“Jonghyun is not here.”

Her spine froze by the voice, she quickly turned her heels just to find a gentle smile greeted her, throwing her with imaginary confetti, making she choked like an idiot.

“You’re looking for your brother right?”

Gwiboon just standing there like a statue, drawing some awkward atmosphere upon the latter.

“I think he still in the class. He’ll come in a minute, want to wait inside?” he pointed to the studio’s door behind him.

She just shook her head lightly and stayed unmoved for the next minute.

“Why are you not answering me?”

“My brother said not to talk with stranger.”

And he cracked right away, laughing like he was watching a gag concert or something.

“Stranger? I drove you once. And we talked, a lot I think, until the point I could tell you’re not kidding when you said you like me.”

Her face was crimson red once he finished with his words. She chewed her inside cheek to stop her from bursting like stupid giggly teenager.

“Just because I said I like you, doesn’t mean you’re not stranger anymore.”

“We aren’t really,” he then casually grabbed her wrist and led her to sit on the stone bench in front of the studio. Which was strangely, she didn’t fight him, “After I left you some messages?  Really? Still stranger?”

And then she snapped, “Messages? You think using your brother as a postman was a good idea?”

“I thought it would be more romantic?”

“Romantic my !” he was a bit surprised with her choice of words which Gwiboon herself regretting as well, “It would be at least fine if your brother’s not teasing me and keep peeking on what’s inside the letter!”

“I expect you to read it back in your room!”

“While opening the window under the moonlight? Well, you need to wake up now, Sir!”

Gwiboon felt bad when he just stunned beside her, eyes looking forlornly to maple tree around the corner.

“I didn’t say I don’t like it. But something more personal would be better.”

Her voice sounded like sanctus on his ear. He turned his head and couldn’t help but smug when Gwiboon blushed bashfully right there.

“You didn’t catch the notes I left on your studio then?”

“How can I know they were from you?! A lot of people sent me letters just so you know!”

“Oh, well, I forgot how popular you are. I’m so sorry.”

When she shot him her sharp glare, he just smiled, so bright she thought she went blind.

“Stop using stupid way like a caveman like that! Can you just a little bit normal and take the conventional one?”

“What’s normal?”

“Like calling me. Or text me if you’re too afraid I’m going to yell at you once I pick the phone!”

“I don’t have your number.”

“Ask! Ask anyone! I don’t care!”

“Hmm, that would be hard. Who has your number? Let me think. Your brother might just stop talking to me. Taemin? Hmm. My brother often forgot his own number, there’s no chance he’d remember yours.”

“Whatever.”

The more Gwiboon sulking, the more happiness filling up his chest.

“There’s a way, though. Simpler than the other,” Gwiboon acted like she had no interest, but he knew she’s listening carefully, “Why don’t we say hi to each other whenever we met? And have a little chat like this? Maybe it’s not only you who likes the latter. Ho—“

He’s not even finished when Gwiboon suddenly jumped and left him on the bench alone.

“I had your words. Don’t you dare pretending you don’t know me if we bumped into another somewhere in the future. Whatever people said, whatever my brother said.”

“Why I need to pretend not knowing you?”

“I don’t know, just in case. Now you promise?”

“We just shared one ride and you already asked me to promise?”

“Cut it off! I’m not in the mood of jokes!”

Again, he couldn’t help himself grinning like a sugar-rushed five years old boy.

“Promise what?”

“Talk to me or at least show me your creepy smile because we are not stranger!”

“Then what

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter