We'll Take This Way Too Far

Blank Space
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He woke up in surprise. Complete breakfast greets him when he walked down to the kitchen. The maid of the house’s busy washing the dish, not aware with his presence she jumped a bit when he poked her shoulder.

“Is my sister home?”

“Oh, yeah. She came last night.”

“Why I didn’t know?”

She looks hesitate but answer eventually, “She came rather late.. around 2,” before he opened his mouth again she continued, “By a taxi. I opened the gate.”

Jonghyun almost choked himself with the milk. He passed out rather early last night, she must be entered her room when he’s already hit the dreamland. Smell of the wet land seeping to his nose, making him nervous instantly.

“Last night, was it raining?”

“No, it’s just started raining at five I think.”

Jonghyun felt relieve before moved to the dining table. He ate his salmon while wondering why on earth his sister is home on weekdays.

“Good morning, brother.”

Gwiboon joined him, casually pulled the chair and flipped the plate in front of her. She scooped the mac and cheese, added piles of bacon and broccoli on it. The green veggies almost fall off the table.

“Are you going to army or what? That’s worth full day meal, you know.”

“I’m starving.”

Then silence filled up the air again after their maid finished washing dishes and left them alone. Jonghyun took a glance to his side, Gwiboon’s munching broccoli while scrolling down the phone, sometimes simple smile adorn the cold feature of her face. He wondered where did he does wrong to put such a distance between them. Jonghyun wished his sister born soft and more honest, at least to herself, so he could tell how she feels in anytime like this. But then again, Gwiboon is far from that image, she’s not only strong but also independent and obstinate, she wouldn’t let her guard down for any second.

“You seem come home often lately.”

“Hmmm.”

“Miss me a lot?”

She put down her phone and lock a gaze to Jonghyun, “I wish. Therefore I would have a perfect reason to hide whatever happened with me outside the house.”

“Did something happen?”

Gwiboon drifted her eyes back to her plate, “Nah. Just can’t stand some people being jealous. I need no distraction to finish my design for the winter.”

An architecture student two years his junior had to be admitted to hospital after a week nonstop not having any sleep, stressed and too much ambitious said to be the source of that horrible news. Jonghyun hates the fact that he’s afraid such thing happened to his sister.

“Don’t be so stressed. Hanging out with your friends or go shopping or anything.”

“Do I look like someone who has a friend?”

Jonghyun thought she would be torn a bit with that statement, or at least sad, but when he looked back to her face, she’s completely fine.

“You looked like someone who had friend. Or boyfriend.”

“Oh, please. You need to humor me better than this. No one would ever consider a cold hearted witch being their friend. Even more a girlfriend.”

“Cold hearted witch? Wow. That’s new.”

“Yeah. The ice princess and bitter already expired. You should come to my department more. It changed every single month,” she stands up from her table in less than half minute, “Are you done with that?”

Jonghyun woke up from his daydream and looked to his plate before nodding to Gwiboon, “Thanks.”

“Nevermind.”

He still couldn’t take his eyes off of her even the latter already giving her back facing Jonghyun. Years ago she would cry over his bedroom door or clinging to him whenever something bothered her. From simple matters like broken clock until broken heart with transferred student in her class. At this moment he’s not sure whether he should be proud that the little sister he used to protect grown into a mature woman or just disappointed since she always hides her pain instead talked about that to him.

He stopped for a while before heading back to his room.

“Kim Gwiboon.”

“Hmm?”

“I was lying.”

She turned her head for sudden apologize, both surprised and shocked, “What?”

“I do miss you.”

Jonghyun pulled a quick curve with his lips, left her alone dumbfounded. His brother already out of sight before she could even compose some words.

“I miss you too, Jong.”

***

“My good God, it smells like bunch of homeless man being kidnapped here.”

“If you just going to rant, I’m not listening.”

Jinki’s voice sounds better. Sounds like he’s actually alive. It’s been three days he locked himself in his sanctuary. Taking shower only when his mom texted him and eating peanut butter jam sandwich since it was already passed midnight when he finally aware of his stomach growling madly.

“Is that your manner for your savior?”

Jinki doesn’t leave the computer screen in front of him, “You aren’t Jesus or Buddha or any other holy spirit.”

“Then I just bring back this chicken bucket upstairs.”

Half throwing the mouse on his hand he jumped out – literally – from his chair, “Lee Taemin is my religion. He’s the one I put my faith into.”

Taemin rolled his eyes before chuckled and dropped himself on his brother favorite bean bag. He just shook his head when he saw his brother get down on the floor devouring the crispy skin of fried chicken.

“Slow down, caveman!”

“Coufwhldnfnt. Swhoo hangrwhiiy.”

“Have no idea what you’re talking about,” Taemin got bored instantly and moved to Jinki’s desk, “Well, well, well, you’re actually finishing your design.”

“It’s not finished yet,” Jinki stopped for a while, burping too loud, and earning a perfect shout of gross from Taemin, “I still need to work on the stupid alley and everything but, yeah, I’m halfway done.”

He pulled another drumstick and started eating again.

“Halfway? Are you insane? You’re already making your final presentation.”

“Not your magic hand!”

Jinki shouts while munching the flesh, Taemin surrendered and put his hand in the air. Eyes still on his brother, Jinki put the chicken bucket aside on the tea table his mother insist to put it there, pulling some wet tissues then lay down on his bed, eyes up straight to the ceiling.

“So, your muse is back, then?”

“Not really. I just got enough of Mr. Park. The only way I could get rid of him is graduating as soon as possible.”

“That makes sense.”

“How I miss my life back in London. Or Brazil.”

“Dude, I lived in London longer than you.”

“I said or Brazil. You’ve never been there.”

“Show off,” Taemin smacked his brother with a pillow which the latter just burst out in a loud laughter.

Taemin took a deep breath. A week ago his brother looks like sunken ship, awful and unappealing, he lost his light as if Elsa came real froze the entire warmth inside him. He passed his brother bedroom’s door couple times and Chopin’s number blasted in maximal power, leaking any substantial left from his ears. That means the owner of the room in frustration and anyone dare to disturb would end up in a clinic like their mother assistant a year ago. Well, she was actually being nice trying to bring him some refreshment. But instead of thank you note she got yelled and cursed and she couldn’t handle it. That poor woman passed out before she could reach the door.

But the speaker is tuned down since two days ago. And classical music replaced by harmonious indie band songs. That’s a good sign for Taemin to brace himself and talked to him just now.

Knowing Jinki for his whole life, Taemin understand it’s not just because the strict professor and design issues. He always talked about his design progress, the problem with the professor and the stubborn label anyone put on his forehead by being too creative. And if it was college issues that troubled him lately, Taemin already acknowledge every detail. However, he sealed his mouth.

Knowing Jinki for his whole life, Taemin understand it’s girl issue. A particular girl issue.

“So, how about you and me, tonight, going to the new café downtown. They got me two hours slot doing some acoustic performance.”

“You can go by yourself.”

“I’m not an acoustic person you know. You’re the one they wanted. It would be ridiculous if I’m singing by myself.”

Jinki closed his eyes and took a moment before opened his mouth again, “I don’t feel like going outside these days.”

“You need to socialize and interact with other people! Stop talking to your window it’s not healthy!”

“I’m not talking to my window!”

“Ha! Like I can’t hear you making ridiculous conversation every single night!” Jinki’s face got burn as shades of red creeping his cheeks, “Don’t change the subject! You need to have conversation with a real person!”

Jinki rolled to the side and let out a loud sigh, “The last time I tried making conversation with someone I ended up like a trash. So, no, thank you. You can go to the stage by yourself. Break

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter