Final

A gift from my brother

A GIFT FROM MY BROTHER



Friday, four in the evening.

Yoo yuri swings her legs that hanging on the arm sofa back and forth while lying on her back comfortably. The living room left with a dead silent without turning on the TV in front of her. Her parent stil hasn't come from the work yet.

In her hand is holding a novel book which she had read half of it. It's a cozy evening and she found herself being more relax now, without the tension or a tense argument around. The only tension she'd ever has is where her brother was being around. His mouth would never find a time to close it and it keeps barking like a dog. 

Fortunately, he is a student from one of popular university in south korea so he doesn't often come home. It somehow brings her peace alone. The more they're growing, the more their parent care less about the way the are arguing, their parent definitely give up to even stop them sometimes. It likes no use any longer.

She hasn't realized a gate is being opened and someone walks in to the quiet house. Her focus had deaf her completely.

"Yuri-ah~" A voice sings song afterward.

No response

"Yoo Yuri" This time the sound so close and her eyebrows wrinkle in between, eventually disturbing her reading. Then, she starts to snort loudly, knowing it's his own brother. She tends to ignore it, but he begin to use those high pitches of his voice and calling her name over again "YURI-AH!"

She quickly removes her novel book from her face "WHAT-"

Bukk! 

"Ouch!" She screams when something hit her face hard. She has not realized her eyes had shut close and when she opens it back, she saw her brother's head popped out behind the sofa, grinning "My gift"

Instantly, she roams her eyes over a medium teddy bunny that lying on her chest and take it in her hands. She observed it for a second before squinting back her gaze up over his brother. "What kind of gift you're giving me? Don't you even know my actual age?" She starts to sound pissed off.

"Ahak! It's just from the machine. Shut up and take it, idiot. It's no way I want to keep it"

"Then, how the hell you still playing them if you didn't want it in the first place?!!" Her voice filled up around the living room and her face starts to turn red because of overly anger.

His brother is getting on her nerves again. 

Youngjae left the sofa her sister is lying in and flop himself at the another one in front of her instead, snatching the remote on the coffee table before turning on the TV. 

"I can't help, the machine was like tempting me to play.. Like you know, when you're curious on something.. You tend to... " He explains with his eyes growing large. 

She groans in irritated, rolling her eyes. Youngjae stops, glancing at her sister in a complete amused "Just take it, aren't girls like those kind of stuffs?"

He throws his back on the sofa, while his finger press the button on the remote, looking for an interesting show to watch. He ruffles his hair back and keep on mumbling.

"You know, that gift resembled much to how caring I am as your handsome brother like me, you should know, you're lucky to have-"

A small cushion hit straight on his face and he stops talking immediately. "Gosh!" He is kind of shocked at the sudden attack and his gaze runs over his sister's figure in a speed of light. 

Yuri already had her book in front of her face again and mutter nonchalantly "Cut the crap, if you really want to give a gift for me, make sure it's from an expensive brand or something that I can highly cherish, but not with this trash that coming from a cheap machine"

Youngjae gasps in speechless "Don't you know how much efforts to get that thing, you little piece of ?!"

"I'm going to tell mom about your language, mehrong" she stuck out her tongue at his brother and he stung. His ears start to become red, unsatisfied. Yurin sorts of ignoring him. 

"You will never know how to respect your brother, right?" Suddenly he gets up from the sofa and hauling his bag over his left shoulder. His voice obviously sound offended and she begins to feel a tab of guilty.

Yuri puts down her novel book from her face, squinting to his sulky brother now. He is heading to the stairs with that sour face. 

"OK, FINE! I'll take it, happy now? " She eventually gives up as sitting up her body properly. She watches the back of his head through the sofa, where he is standing immobile there. 

She thought he is still mad, but he suddenly shouts, "You got my bait, you idiot sister MUHAHAHA!"

Before she could even prosses it into her brain, his brother already hopped up two steps at once the stairs with his annoying laughter scattered into the air.

Yuri tries not to curse, which ending her to swallow down the anger and continue with her reading instead.

There is a moment,

Yuri steps down the last stair and stroll down to the kitchen. A silent gasp left when she realized she is not alone in the room. Her eyes blink unstoppable at the tall figure who is standing rigid near the refrigerator with a glass of water in his hand. 

Daehyun wipes off his lips with the back of his palm and offers her a friendly smile. Yuri snaps from her deep thought and quickly step backward before running back upstairs. She is panting in breathless as flop herself down on her wide bed an instant. Her hearts run uncontrollable and she found herself blush at it.

That's it. After how he frequently come to their house which her brother who are bringing. She started to feel something to her brother's friend. Yes, she exactly has a crush on him, or more specifically, on her brother's best friend. But, it's actually an indefinite crush since she found it quite impossible. His brother will pretty sure against it. She doesn't really put a hope too high, especially she can tell, his friend will never see her as a girl that he wanted. She is a high school girl afterward. 

Yuri throws her back on the bed and stare up on the ceiling quietly, sighing. The harder thing is because he is the hotter guy she had even seen, with his flawless face. Even all guys in her school can't beat his handsomeness, no exception her brother himself either. They never really meet way too close and she mostly runs away whenever she sees him in person, due to overload shy. 

So, she just thought of giving up effortlessly. That's the best way.

She gets up and reach out her novel book at the top of the study table near her bed then start to kill time with it.

But it just for a few sentences, when she heard her bed room door has been knocked by someone.

"Can't you stop reading that stuff? That's why you got lower grade in class" His annoying voice greeted her ears unwilling. Yuri groans under her breath but refuse to look at his way. 

"You know nothing about my grade, so shut up!" She retorts in irritated over his brother's words. 

"Don't lie, you little punk! I've seen your record book and you mostly got C or D" He still insists mercilessly.

"Can you please leave me alone?" She is using trick by being polite since his brother found out about her actual grade. Damn!

"No, unless you go buy us some snacks" He mutters with a little smirk on his mouth. That's exactly his point after arguing with her. 

Yuri throws aside her novel and give him a sharp glance "Why would I need to buy you that? go buy yourself. I'm not going" She grits her teeth.

"Is that so? Then I'm telling mom about your grade" He was about to walk out of my room but got cut off by her immediately.

"You bad brother, how dare you threatening me, FINE! I will go!" Her voice is getting loud and almost shook the room. It's triggered her hard. Youngjae nods in approving and quite satisfied.

"Get the money from me after you get dressed, I'll wait you downstairs." he makes an order as his face looks so innocent with that fluffy cheekbone which Yuri desperately to break down as hard as she can. Her brother walks off and left her in uneven mind. 

Yuri instantly punch her teddy bunny that sitting unmoved in the corner on her bed "You! Little !" and she ends up throws that thing on her flat wall with no sympathy and let it slide down onto the floor. It's his brother's gift after all. Plus, She is super in rage and nearly scream her heart out. She gets up and eventually force herself to get ready with some mumbling on .

There's one night that they are sitting in a group in the dining table, having an usual dinner. Yuri's favorite meal was prepared by their mother again today and she is so happy about it. While, Youngjae just disagreed yet he decided to not say anything since they had an argue about the same meal before. Like twice. If he happened to bring it up again, he is not sure if he can survive because he can feel their father might in and it totally not a good idea for them. Mr. Yoo is a quiet person but not too serious either but he mostly doesn't talk. Youngjae knows their father is a bit scary when he starts to get mad, so he just controls himself, so do his sister.

The table is not that dead with the silentness. They are sharing some stories to each other as enjoying their dinner. 

Yuri is stuffing with a big spoon of rice when his brother starts to confide about her to their mother.

"Omma, I saw Yuri dated with a guy yesterday"

Yuri chokes on her rice as she coughes hard. "What?"

"They even holding their hands together, like this" Youngjae intertwines both his hands and show to his mother with a serious expression while ignoring his sister who already popped out her eyeballs in shocked. She drops her spoon down her half empty bowl and look straight on her mother.

"No, it's not true!" She says. "He's just a friend of mine" She adds, defending herself. 

"Stop lying" he smirks. 

"Stop spreading a false thing, you stupid!" She pulls his hair and everything started to be chaos with Youngjae's screaming of pain. 

"What the hell, let my hair goooo!!!"

A sudden clear throat could be heard and Mrs.Yoo immediate get the warning hint from her husband as she interrupted both of her children. "Stop Yuri, let your brother's hair go. We are eating now" her voice sound serious in it.

Yuri released them right away but her rage still remain in her body when her chest rise and fall. His brother is too much and she really wanted to rip off that mouth of his.

Yuri continues to eat and unfortunately, her ears have been fed by her mother's unwilling education about 'How important school is and dating is not a good start for her' 

While on the other hand, Youngjae is chewing on his food quietly but he is secretly giving his sister a proud thumb and Yuri swear, she is going to beat him up some day.

Once their dinner end, Yuri hops up the stairs and goes to her room straight in huff. the first time distracted her eyesight is her brother's gift, that lying down under her bed. Waiting no more, she grabs it and pinch it that hard.

"What you're doing?" A voice she is annoying with greeted her and she turned around to find his brother is standing by her opened bedroom door with folded hands on his chest.

"Can't you see, I'm beating you up right now" She says under her breath sarcastically. Her fist punches the teddy bunny in front of his brother face yet he didn't say anything unless, snickering like a fool there. 

"You look like stupid, my dearest sister" 

"You're stupid!" Yuri raises her voice, her furious grows stronger. She just can't control it any longer to the fact, she goes to the balcony and throw that away out of the room. It landed inhumanity on the full green grass down there. She looks over her shoulder, looking for his brother's reaction but what she got instead, his louder laughter filled up her room. He is slapping her bedroom door repeatedly and his hair flies up when the moment he throws his head along with his laugh.

His brother successfully infuriated her and she has to swallow down her words. "Get out!" She screams, that's all she wants after all with an angry gaze dart on his figure. 

"OH GOD, you're funny" and just that, he walks off from her room.

For like thousand times, she feels hapless to have a brother who are being such an .

On another day, Yuri had promised her friend to stay over her house. The bad thing is she forgot to inform to her parent about it since it was planned in last minute. Tonight, both of their father and mother are staying in their granny house but since it's her first time to sleep over in her friend's place. She feels a little afraid to call her parent and decided to just tell her brother instead. She prepared herself as simple as she can with putting a casual clothes on her body. She is wearing a black legging and a yellow tight, short shirt which revealing her flat stomach whenever she lifts her hands into the air. At last, she wrapped herself by her favorite sweater, to keep her warm. 

It's 8.10 PM and the night still young for her to go out. She strolls calmly and step down the stairs. In the living room, sitting two men with their laptops on the coffee tabls while facing each other. She is hesitate a second because of her brother's friend presence too in the room. It's going to embarrass herself but she doesn't care. He is nothing to her at all, but his brother. She approaches them in silent and her pony tail hair swing back and forth. It looks like they are working on their own assignment and the look on their face are so serious as the deep wrinkle appeared without they know it.

"Oppa I want to sleep over my friend's house, I promise I will return by tomorrow morning" She breaks the silence and quickly stated her desire. Avoiding from being asked by her brother, she turns around instantly and jogging toward the door. 

"Who allows you?" 

Yuri jumps and stop moving as slowly facing her brother again, he doesn't look up and his expression is strangely serious, unlike himself she usually saw.

"You" She mutters in confidence even she aware he didn't say a word yet earlier.

"No, you can't. Stay in the room" He finally lifts his head and meeting his younger sister that standing freeze near the door. 

"I don't want, I have promised to my friend" She stubbornly says with a small whine growl under her breath. 

"Yuri, I can't let you off when omma and Appa are not here" He explains, staying his gaze on her. In his eyes drawing something different that Yuri unable to see it yet.

Daehyun doesn't raise his head up but keeps doing his work as if he was alone there. It's not his business though so, he doesn't need to be rude to get involved in the siblings problem.

"But I am seventeen years old girl! Stop controling me, you're even not allowing me to date a guy!!! Do you hate me that much to be borned as your sister?!"

His brother doesn't response

Yuri bites down her lower lip hard. Hurt. 

"You know what, I hate you too!!" She holler in frustration.

"Say whatever you want, Yoo Yuri. My answer is still no." He makes a final decision and go back into his work, ignoring her outburst that starting to be nonsense.

Yuri tries not to break into tears, she stomps up the stairs back and leave the living room. For like five minutes she comes back downstairs with bringing her brother gift along in her hand. 

"Take this, I don't want it anymore" She drops down the bunny on the cold floor beside her feet before wholeheartedly kick it away.

Unfortunately, Youngjae stays loyal with his establishment as ignoring her sister completely. His fingertips tap down on the keyboard without looking up over his own sister. The girl slowly feels offend which she dashes out from the house.  

"Where are you going?!" Abruptly, Youngjae screams his heart out. However, Yuri pretends to be deaf as walking off, disappearing into the lonely night.

It turned out, Yuri is taking some air at the nearby playground. The faint light that coming from neon light accompany her and she is pondering on one of the benches over there, bringing her legs up as hugging tight her knees together. The cold night come across her body and she shivers under the touch of the wind. There's no one there but from a far she can see a few people walk by and nope of them noticed her at all, she thought she would safe here. 

But a man seems like a drunk one, trying to snake in to the playground place. Yuri remains quiet immediately and pray silently he won't notice her. The way he walks is like a child baby who just learn how to walk by his own. Despite he is not that old, Yuri can't lie that she is deadly in scared right now, but her body decided to be frozen. She tightened her hug on her knees and press close her eyes. A loud thump comes out from her chest, and she knows, she just digs herself into her own grave.

"I thought you're brave enough" A voices appears suddenly.

Yuri buried her face on her knees "Please leave me alone" her voice vibrates hard.

"Hey, it's ok. It's me. Daehyun Oppa"

A touch on her shoulder, almost making her jumps from the bench but she calms herself down instantly. Her breath become normal, which her body slowly relax by their own. She carefully lifts up her head and found a lying body in front of the unmoved swing. It's like the man was collapsed on the ground and passed out. She breaths out in relief.

"Do you know why your brother forbided you to go? Because of this" Daehyun points her finger at the useless man in front of them. 

"What if you can't make it to your friend's house? But your parent think you're already there in safe. It might can happen or maybe it's not going to happen, depend on your luck" He says again, sounds completely concerned.

Yuri prefers to be quiet because adults always right. She is just a teenager who just grow up and new in embracing socialize around people.

Daehyun sighes beside her, "Your brother does really care about you, yet he prefers don't show it himself. You need to believe that. He loves you. Nobody throws his own younger sister nor brother unless they are a flake. If I were him, I will do the same like he did to you. Please think positive, yuri-ah" 

Silent. 

"Ok, I will take it that you got the lesson" Daehyun gives up, trying to pull a smile to her. 

Yuri turns away, she thought maybe Daehyun can be her second brother instead. No doubt, he looks good in speaking, unlike her own brother at all. All his words has caused her to be headache all the time. 

"By the way, here" Daehyun takes out something behind his back and show her a dirty, stained of her teddy bunny that his brother had given her. 

Yuri just stares at the thing in his hand, without bothering to take it.

"I don't want it" She mutters lowly. 

It's like her anger has not cool down yet. Daehyun smiles again. "Then, I'm just going to be sad if you don't want it" 

Yuri squints her eyes to the male, questioning. still glued shut even she wanted to ask why.

"I was the one gave this to you" Daehyun admits, his thumb rubs softly on the bunny head while observing it. He is sitting by resting both his elbows on his each thighs.

Yuri speechless, her eyes widened, totally clueless.

"I think I like you, Yuri. I told your brother not long time ago and he seems doesn't mind with it" He bluntly confessed. 

Then, he suddenly chuckles "I guess you don't like a guy much older than you, you seem avoiding me a lot" He inhales when he sees the girl is frowning. 

"I used to have crush on you. But now I think I like you too, Daehyun" She timidly mutters.

"Oppa. Daehyun Oppa, say it" Daehyun corrects her, tilting his head to glance at her. 

"Daehyun Op-oppa" She stammers and blush harder on her spot. He grins while handing her that poor bunny back. 

Yuri takes it and suddenly she stands on her feet and Daehyun weirdly raises up his head to her. "Do you want to go home now?"

She 'hurm' to him "There's one thing that I need to settle with my brother" She tells him, there's an unsatisfied in her tone. 

"You look like you are going to do something to him" Daehyun can sense something was off just by hearing her obvious voice. 

"Of course! Don't you know, all this time he literally was enjoying himself when I was beating up your gift! That brat!" She desperately says with a grip of her fist beside her.

Daehyun has nothing to say any longer. He can predict that there's must be a war between this siblings again once they get home right away. He just be able to smile in acceptance. 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Thank you for reading :)

bye!