Good Job!

After Dark Heavy Days

 

Ten hurdles and a lot of burned calories later, they decided to call it a day. Taehyung was soaking wet but smiling. He had gotten three answers in a row right. As Jin suspected, he concentrated better when he wasn't bursting with all that excess energy. The more tired he got, the better the results. They were on to something.

 

“Wait, are you going straight to class like this? Aren't you going to go home and change? Freshen up?“ Jin asked him, when he started heading up to the main building. His hair was a complete mess, his gym clothes dirty, he looked like he had just stepped out of a dumpster. He did kind of have the vibe of a charming stray, making you want to take him home with you and take care of him.

"Uhu.“ He nodded, scratching the bird nest in the making on his head. "I've got PE for second period so I have to shower then anyways...“ he shrugged, like this was a totally logical and reasonable plan.

"Do you even have a toothbrush with you?“ Jin asked in his teacher's voice, strict but kind.

"Uhmm...“ Taehyung grinned sheepishly.

Jin sighed audibly.

"Come on then, you can borrow mine and we can try and do something about... that.“ Jin frowned and did a circle in the air to indicate that nothing about Taehyung's look right now was acceptable. "We can't subject your poor fellow classmates to your stinky breath now, can we?“.

Not understanding what all the fuss was about, Taehyung did a breath check and frowned slightly, but then shrugged like he was okay with this level of stinkiness. Jin shook his head hopelessly, he had his work cut out for him.

 

He took him to the teachers' office, it was still early so there was nobody there. Taehyung might have been okay with this re-enactment of his of the tramp in Lady and the Tramp, but Jin couldn't just stand by and do nothing. He headed straight for the drawer at his desk where he kept the toothbrushes. Ah, he was in luck. He still had an extra one. He was meticulous about brushing before class since he had always hated having to suffer the teachers' bad breath in his school days, holding his breath to survive while they spewed that poisonous gas all over him, making him wish he had worn a gas mask to school. When he became a teacher himself, he had vowed never to let that be him.

He took the toothbrushes out and handed the new one to Taehyung. "Here. You can have that one.“ he smiled.

Instead of accepting a free, brand new brush, Taehyung wrinkled his nose. "I don't like new ones.“.

"Excuse me?“ Jin didn‘t quite follow.

"They‘re too hard.“ he complained, and with one swift move he had snatched Jin's old, tattered toothbrush. "Thanks.“ he said and sent him a playful wink before he disappeared to the bathroom.

Jin just stood there, not sure what had just happened. At this very moment, Taehyung was brushing his teeth with his used toothbrush. Voluntarily. A brush that had been in his mouth several times. Even though there was a new one right here. Why? He could feel a tiny flutter in his stomach as Taehyung's winking face did an encore in his head. He forcefully quieted all thoughts that contemplated whether there was any meaning behind it. He was in trouble. So much trouble.

 

"Thanks.“ Taehyung smiled as he handed him his toothbrush back. He had obviously washed his face as well and tried to disassemble the bird nest in his hair, but without much success. He looked cute though. Ah, what was he going to do with that kid.

"Oh, no no, you can have it.“ He assured him, not sharing his love of used toothbrushes.

"Can't you just hold on to it for me, I loose stuff and you never know when I might need it again.“ He grinned like he knew something Jin didn‘t. Jin tried not to let Taehyung's carefree, playful way of being throw him off-center. "You can just keep them together, you can label mine if you're afraid you'll mix'em up. You can use it though, if you want to, I don't mind.“ He smiled softly. What a sweetheart. A weird sweetheart.

Not able to resist his unconventional charms, Jin opened another drawer and conjured up a sticker with which to label the toothbrush. He had a bunch of old ones hidden in the back, he had been meaning to get rid of them but never did.

Taehyung‘s face turned into a big, bright smile. He was literally radiant with excitement.

"What?“ Jin asked when there was no end to the smile. He was starting to get worried he had something stuck to his face or that his fly was open.

"The sticker.“ Taehyung grinned.

It was a colorful 'Good job!‘ sticker you used in kindergarten to reward the kids with whenever they took a two second time out from being complete terrors.

„Oh. Heh... I used to teach first grade.“ Jin explained, hoping he didn't think he was totally lame. Or... what did he care if he thought he was lame? He shook his head to scold it for coming up with such nonsense. "Then I had to move, and I guess they just tagged along with all my old teaching material. I've been meaning to throw them away.“ He explained to save face, his brain clearly not getting the message that it didn't matter what Taehyung thought of him. A dark shadow flew over his heart at the mention of the move, he hadn't spoken about it for the longest time.

Taehyung giggled. "I know you just stuck it on there to label it, but it really feels like I did a good job.“ He beamed.

"Most people are bored with these kinds of stickers by second grade.“ Jin chuckled.

"I've never gotten one before.“ Taehyung confessed.

"Never?“ Jin's jaw fell to the floor.

"Nope, never. I was always in a time out or being scolded.“ Taehyung shrugged like it was no big deal. "So this is my first one.“ He added with a sparkle in his eyes, as if he was looking at the rarest, most precious diamond in the world. What a cutie.