Chapter 22

Flight of a Nightingale
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Word Count: 6178

Double update. Please go read Chapter 21 if you have not done so already

 

 

Sehun stormed down the street after leaving the shrine. He had thanked Zitao for the information and left with his things not long after. Luhan hurried out after him while the rest of their group took their time.

 

“Sehun,” Luhan called, catching up to Sehun, “don’t be mad. Please?”

 

“You said I would be,” Sehun bit back, not yet casting a glance in Luhan’s direction.

 

“Yes,” Luhan huffed. “But please. You know you wouldn’t have done any of this if I hadn’t lied a little. Besides, you have to go see him again because of your curse. You can do what you need to then.”

 

Sehun rounded on Luhan, pointing a finger in his face and staring down at him with a frown and a creased brow. “Is there anything else you haven’t told me?” he growled. “Because I swear-“

 

“No!” Luhan shouted over Sehun’s angry tone. “That was the last thing I hid from you. That’s the truth.”

 

“Then make it the last thing you ever hide from me,” Sehun hissed. Then he turned back around and continued stomping his way to the castle. There were people around them chuckling quietly to themselves at Luhan’s misfortune. No one thought Sehun was the unfortunate one. He was going to be king. His little Star Child was a different story.

 

Luhan was treated with respect by the people as well. After all, he was responsible for getting their future king to his destination. He had performed that duty beautifully in the eyes of the people. No one had to know that he almost failed.

 

They ended up sitting at one of the cliff edges so Sehun could listen to the wind and cool his head. In less than a few minutes, Luhan was already leaning on him, begging for his attention. Sehun refused to give it to him. But not even ten minutes later, he was caving, allowing Luhan to rest his head on his shoulder. Less than twenty minutes after they first sat down, Sehun couldn’t stay angry at Luhan anymore. He wrapped an arm around Luhan's shoulders.

 

“I hate you,” he whined unconvincingly. Even as he said it, his thumb brushed over Luhan’s shoulder tenderly.

 

“I know,” Luhan said with a smile. “Feeling better?”

 

“A little.”

 

“Then let’s find the others and get you to the castle,” Luhan suggested. He pulled himself off Sehun’s shoulder and stood. He helped Sehun to his feet as well with an outstretched hand. “Yixing has your cloak, so we can’t go straight to the castle yet.”

 

“Why is my cloak important?” Sehun questioned, taking Luhan's hand and standing. “I can’t wear it anyway.”

 

“You can for this,” Luhan hummed. “And I expect you to because in this case, it’s actually very important. You will need it when you meet the king and his spiritual advisors.”

 

Sehun quirked a brow at Luhan. “This isn’t another secret, is it?” he asked, a warning tone in his voice.

 

“No,” Luhan said with a smile. “I told you exactly what it was. You just never paid attention.” Sehun looked even more confused than he had before, and it only served to amuse Luhan greatly. “I called it a gift, did I not?”

 

“Yeah?” Sehun replied, trying to think about it.

 

“A gift,” Luhan said with a smile, “from the Star Child.”

 

Then it clicked. “My cloak? That’s your gift?” he asked. Then he laughed. “What? Was it the effort you put into the needlework?”

 

Luhan smirked. “You’ll see what it is when you need it. Now come on!” Then he grabbed Sehun’s hand and dragged him back to the square near the shrine. No doubt that their group would still be there.

 

-----

 

“Should have made Sehun pay for the food,” Baekhyun grumbled. “Running off for half an hour and not telling us where he’s going.”

 

“I have no money,” Sehun grunted. “You know that. You guys confiscate it all.”

 

“Oh yeah,” Baekhyun mumbled. “Well, I’m taking it out of the coins you specifically earned.” Like Baekhyun could tell which ones those were. Sehun decided to stay on the safe side and not say anything.

 

The walk over was filled with useless chatter that Sehun ended up blocking out as they got closer to the castle. He wanted to keep himself calm. His magic, sensing his distress, was beginning to act up. His body began radiating with slight traces of lightning as a defense mechanism.

 

“Sehun, calm down,” Chanyeol said, voice soft and soothing. It brought Sehun back to himself and he called his powers back into his control. That hadn’t happened in quite a while.

 

“I’m sorry,” he said as he stopped his movement forward for a moment. “I’m just…”

 

“Scared,” Yixing said, filling in the blank. “We understand. This is quite a change in your life. It’s normal to be afraid of change. Particularly this magnitude of change.”

 

“But you’re being so brave,” Luhan praised. “And I can’t wait to see the looks on their faces when they see you walk in there. You’ll see. They’re going to welcome you with open arms.”

 

Sehun wished this were as easy as they all made it sound. He felt so small and so unworthy of a position like this. But everyone was saying it was in him. This was his right to take. “You guys won’t leave me when I become-“ He took a breath before he said it. “-king, right?”

 

“Never,” Yixing assured him. “We will all be right beside you. We’re your friends.”

 

“Your actions got my mother killed,” Baekhyun interrupted bitterly. Sehun flinched, but then Baekhyun gripped his hand and gave him a smile colored with sadness. “But all that means is that you have to take her place and become my family. I didn't see it at first because I was too angry, but I can see you mourning her now. I know I made a lot of horrible choices in whatever ed up relationship we've had. But I'll stay as your family if you still want me to consider you a brother.”

 

Sehun couldn’t believe his ears. He almost didn’t respond because he didn’t know what he was supposed to say. But he gripped Baekhyun’s hand back and nodded, the tears coming to his eyes.

 

“I do still want you as my brother,” he said, leaning his forehead down against Baekhyun’s. “I can’t replace her,” he told Baekhyun. “But I can try to be enough family for you. I can try.”

 

Baekhyun nodded, met eyes with Sehun and then pulled back. “First, you need to get this over with,” he said. “We will all be right next to you.”

 

With that discussion, Sehun was able to stand a little taller. He took another deep breath and found the strength to fight the fear. Before he knew it, the gates of the castle were before them, a guard posted on either side with lance in hand. They were thin, but they looked no less able bodied and Sehun wasn’t nearly as trained as they were. It was a good thing he wouldn’t have to fight these men.

 

One of the soldiers stepped forward upon the group’s arrival and walked straight up to Sehun. He tried to straighten up to his full height so he would look presentable. He still didn’t feel the rank he was supposed to inherit, but he felt braver.

 

“My Lord,” the soldier greeted, a curt bow accompanying the title. “Are you here to be assessed?”

 

Sehun nodded, his tongue heavy in his mouth. That wasn’t good enough for Luhan. Sehun usually didn't need reminders to give verbal responses. It was the nerves that were jumbling his brain and making him slow. But Luhan was going to pound those nerves right out of him.

 

“Speak, Sehun,” Luhan grunted.

 

Sehun swallowed and tried to dispel the tension inside himself. “Yes,” he managed. “I am.”

 

“Then please follow me,” the guard said, trying to hide the smile forming on his lips only for the sake of formalities. It was clear that he was like any of the other citizens and he too had waited years for Sehun’s appearance. The sigh of relief that was rippling through this country was hard to believe.

 

Sehun and the group followed the guard through the front gate and up a series of steps. The castle loomed over them, but it did not frighten Sehun so much now that he was here. What frightened him more was who he would meet inside. He would no doubt meet the king himself, but Luhan also mentioned the spiritual advisors. Despite knowing nothing of them, they frightened him. Any nobles would also make Sehun nervous. Their kind hadn’t exactly made him feel safe in the past.

 

Entering the palace was like coming into a whole new world. The walls were lined in evenly placed stone and marble. The floor was cool under Sehun’s feet as it had been in Zitao’s shrine and the walls extended high above his head. There was light everywhere, extending from crystal chandeliers that hung from the ceiling. The royal seal hung on banners placed very so often down the hall. Even with what little Luhan had told him, Sehun was not surprised the crest contained the image of a bird.

 

The first person they came across was a servant boy. He ducked to the side as soon as he saw them, but it was more a polite move than one afraid of being caught in the way. His eyes were on Sehun, too, but he was quicker to look away and run off as soon as they had passed.

 

The second person they met was no doubt a noble. He was dressed in fine clothing from head to toe and he didn’t seem at all nervous when he approached Sehun’s group. He gave them all a formal bow, which Sehun was expected to reciprocate, and then he moved on. Sehun didn’t dare turn around to see if the man had checked the back of his neck.

 

They met a few more people after that, a wide array of people that included both nobles and common folk. It appeared that court was being held at this moment. There was a line outside of the throne room and Sehun winced at having to wait. However, the guard took him and his group straight through the line. At first there were mutters of complaint, but they were all quieted seconds later.

 

Following the silence, there was suddenly excitement in the air. Whispers bounced off the stones of the hall and Sehun tried to not let it get him too nervous again. The guard told them to wait right there outside the door. Then he pushed his way into the court, quiet so he didn’t disturb the person already inside with the king. Luhan took this time to take Sehun’s white cloak from Yixing and wind it around Sehun’s body. It didn’t hide how tattered his clothes were, but that was not the point. He didn’t force Sehun to wear shoes. He knew Sehun would have rebelled. He could tell Sehun didn’t like wearing his cloak now, but this was necessary; shoes were not.

 

“Ready?” Luhan asked.

 

“As ready as I’m going to be,” Sehun answered, keeping his voice down. He didn’t want to draw even more attention to himself. As soon as he said that, the door opened again and someone came out. The guard that had escorted them there ushered them inside. Sehun took a breath and held it, making sure his back was straight as he walked in.

 

Inside, a large room greeted them. The first thing Sehun noticed was the ceiling, made completely of glass. Next were the large windows that took up all the walls. There was no stone except what they stood on and the let all the light in. Sehun let out a breath he didn't know he had been holding. He didn’t feel trapped in there at all. His composure faded quickly as he became mesmerized by the beauty of the room. He spun in circles, taking in every aspect of it. He felt like he was flying in there. He could reach up and touch the clouds if he wanted. It was a sense of freedom he had never had the luxury of feeling.

 

A warning hand fell on his shoulder and Sehun was pulled back to reality. He turned to look at Luhan who appeared amused and at the same time not. He indicated with a nod of his head the end of the room. Sehun looked and there was a throne at the far end. Not only that, but there was a rather old man sitting in the chair, smiling at him.

 

“I-I’m sorry,” he blurted, the shame of letting himself go immediately coming to him, “Your Majesty.”

 

The king moved to rise from his seat and an attendant came to his side to assist. She took the king's hand and helped him move down the three steps from his throne. Sehun felt the urge to step forward so he did not have to move so much. He stepped forward, hoping he wasn’t being too bold in the presence of someone of such high status. When he was only a few feet away, Sehun dropped to the floor and prostrated himself out of respect for the king.

 

“Please rise, child,” the king said in an aged, tired voice. “I am not someone you need bow so lowly to.”

 

Sehun hesitated, but a hand on his back assured him it was all right to do so. He slowly got up, holding his left arm and feeling insecure and small. He couldn’t meet the eye of the king yet, but he was aware of him turning to his attendant and speaking.

 

“Go get the advisors, dear,” he whispered. “I will be fine without you for a few moments.” She nodded and let him go once he was stable on his feet. Then she was off at a swift walk, leaving through the door. The king turned back to Sehun and his kind smile never faded. “My boy, I have waited long for you to arrive.”

 

Sehun looked up and felt put on the spot. He had agreed to come here and had worked up the courage, but he was still afraid.

 

“I apologize on his behalf,” Luhan said, stepping forward. “It was not easy to get him to come here, Your Majesty.”

 

The king laughed a little. “No, I imagine it was rather difficult. I remember being his age and confused.” And just like a parent might, he reached a wrinkled hand forward and ruffled Sehun’s hair. “That hair of yours is magnificent,” he said by way of praise.

 

“Th-thank you, Your Majesty,” Sehun squeaked softly.

 

“I bet it catches a lot of attention,” the king grunted. “Does that make you nervous?”

 

“Very much, sir,” Sehun answered. Because the conversation was light, Sehun found his voice and he looked up anxiously at the king.

 

“Do you not know how to make it stop?”

 

Sehun shook his head and Luhan nudged him in the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter