Inheritance

Inheritance

He browsed through his phone's image gallery, to delete old images to create some space in his phone. He was contemplating to delete all his photos with Sungmin because all these photos brought back bittersweet memories, more bitter than sweet. They had been happy together, take care of each other, sharing everything from jokes to sweaters, and was so deeply in love.

But all these were in the past. They broke off because Sungmin choose his inheritance over him. Senior Mr Lee had threatened to disown Sungmin if he continued his relationship with Kyuhyun and that he wouldn't get a single cent from his inheritance. In order to obey his father, Sungmin was forced to become straight, and marry his father friend's daughter. And he chose to do that and left Kyuhyun.

The marriage was planned and paid for by Sungmin's father. He even paid for their honeymoon. What did Sungmin get? He could keep his cafe, his job at his father's company, his name would still be in his father's will and got an expensive apartment to stay with his wife. He gave up Kyuhyun for these.

3 years of painful memories for Kyuhyun. Until now, he still could not understand why Sungmin made that decision. Why he gave up and didn't fight for their love. Kyuhyun cried for days, and couldn't bring himself to attend Sungmin's wedding. He thought that they were happy together and would go through all the hardship to face their parents in order to be together. And he knew that Sungmin loved him. But why....?

They were roommates in campus after Changmin moved out to stay with his parents. They became close and inseparable and after graduation and got a job, they rented an apartment to stay together. They became lovers and shared everything together. And one of their favourite past time was drinking wine. Occasionally, Changmin would join them, but most of the time, it was just the two of them. Another favourite past time was singing at clubs and karaoke lounges. 

When a record producer saw Kyuhyun singing, he offered Kyuhyun a recording contract to start a solo singing career. He quit his job and concentrated on songwriting and practicing his singing. Before long, Kyuhyun became a budding singer and has lots of potential to achieve success. 

Sungmin has been his main source of inspiration when he first accepted that singing contract, and to him, he only sang for Sungmin. And the day when Sungmin decided to break their relationship off, he was actually in the midst of preparing his first album. He was so devastated that he wanted to break his contract and stopped singing. 

Only until his best friend, Changmin, managed to talk some sense into him, then he continued with his recordings. He changed some songs, and chose a song that mimicked his feelings to be the title of his album. During recording, he sang it with all his feelings poured into the song and he cried until the producer has to stop recording a few times so that Kyuhyun could calm himself down. 

Three albums later, he was still in his misery. Though he was seen to be happy and jovial person outside, he was actually a total wreck inside. He covered up all his true feelings by facing his fans with smiles and jokes, and he relied on his gaming gadgets to ease his stress. 

Changmin tried every ways to make Kyuhyun forget his past and back to his jovial and naughty brat self. He missed his old friend. This new Kyuhyun because he was always in misery. They were buddies since high school and Changmin would always be there whenever Kyuhyun needed a friend to talk to. Changmin has accepted Sungmin too as a friend when Kyuhyun told him that he like Sungmin. He knew all along that Kyuhyun was not straight and it never mattered to him. 

One thing he never told Kyuhyun was Sungmin was in misery too. Sungmin had called Changmin a few times just to know how was Kyuhyun, and that he would drive to Han River alone, just to listen to Kyuhyun's songs and cried in his car. Changmin knew that Sungmin did what he did because of Kyuhyun's career. So that Kyuhyun became successful as an artist. He wanted Kyuhyun to be loved by his female fans as a handsome bachelor and not as a gay person. 

And Sungmin knew Kyuhyun's song were mostly about his love for him. He knew, and he has always known. And he knew how miserable Kyuhyun was and he felt so sorry for what he did. He met and apologised once to Kyuhyun but Kyuhyun just told him not to say anymore lies, and to be happy with his wife. He knew Kyuhyun would never asked him to leave his wife and that Kyuhyun would just suffered alone. 

But Sungmin himself was suffering alone too. He could never made his wife happy spiritually, but he knew she didn't mind, as long as she got what she wanted. She got money for agreeing to seduce Sungmin and to marry him, which she used it for her plastic surgery, and she didn't mind to sleep on separate bed too as long as Sungmin buy her expensive bags and go to expensive vacations like their recent European trip which was partly sponsored by his father. 

They appeared to be a happy couple in front of their families, especially in front of Sungmin's father. What could Sungmin do? He was working in his father's company and his father paid him good salary. 

He always wanted to go back to Kyuhyun but he knew Kyuhyun would never destroy a marriage. That was what he loved about Kyuhyun. He was such a caring person, considerate and very upright in his virtue of life. 

So in the end, both of them suffered. He blamed himself for Kyuhyun's suffering. But he couldn't turned back the clock. What was done has been done, no matter how silly his decision was. Let Kyuhyun blamed him, it was okay for him, as long as Kyuhyun moved on and became a successful singer. 

Though Kyuhyun suffered and has been living in misery, he never once wished that Sungmin would end his marriage. To him, marriage is sacred and couples should keep their vows. If only Kyuhyun could marry Sungmin, which he would if he could, 3 years ago. But it was too late now. His life has to move on, though in which direction, he himself didn't know. 

And during his own sister's wedding, only Changmin and his other friend, Siwon, knew that he cried. He cried not because Ahra was getting married, but because he kept seeing Sungmin got married at that altar. 

Sometimes he would drank himself silly but Changmin would always be there to knock some sense into him and brought him home. Kyuhyun even tried to go out with other partners, like that cute guy called Wook, but the feeling was different. Nobody could replaced Sungmin in his heart. 

Now that three years have passed, Kyuhyun vowed to dedicate his life to his singing, to his fans, to his closed friends, and to his family. He would continue to sing from his heart, and singing for his one and only, Sungmin. 

It doesn't matter if Sungmin chose his inheritance over him. To Kyuhyun, his love for Sungmin would never end..