Nine

Yet We Met Again

The following morning of that night, Sehun and I found out that Mum hasn’t thrown away the box that had the stuff Sehun gave me. She kept it in the storage room and told us that she was really going to throw it away when she have confirmed herself that there wasn’t a chance between us anymore. That to me, made sense. I understood. Truth to be told, I expected that Mum didn’t really throw it away even though at that time, that was what I really wanted.

Knowing how reluctant she sounded at that the time we were packing, I knew she wasn’t going to throw it away and would say nothing about it until I guess, something had happened. Perhaps something like Sehun going to another lady, or me having another man (which now that I think about it was something I could never imagine). Even then, after the break up, I never imagined myself with another man. Sehun was away, he left me, I had all the reason to rely on another man but I didn’t. Simply because though Sehun and I were apart, separated, deep inside within the confusion, the anger, the disappointment, the heartbreak, I still loved him. And that was the truth I hadn’t seen until now.

For the rest of that day, all of us four went out and went to places from places, not forgetting to visit my Dad. The last time I visited him were few days before I left to move to Joonmyeon’s place. We bumped into a few acquaintances who had a noticeable surprised look on their faces. It wasn’t a wonder to me. I’m pretty sure that the last time they heard of us was when Sehun and I broke up, and having seen us together again, not to mention, close without any sense of being awkward, their surprised and confused looks were given. But I’m glad they didn’t ask or mention anything about it. Because frankly, in this small and humble neighbourhood of ours, I didn’t wish to declare and announce what was going on between Sehun and I. It was only up to them if they were going to gossip about us, but that was less likely because we all respect each other and other than that, gossips were something that didn’t really bother me at any point.

The two of us were standing before my father’s grave, looking at his gravestone. Mum and Aeron were leading the usual ritual we do whenever we come over and visit as a family. Sehun was holding my hand between his two hands and when I looked at him, I caught him giving me a soft gaze.

I didn’t even need to ask when he already answered the question I was yet thinking to ask. “I’m happy that I came back here with you. At least now, I can look at Uncle without hanging my head so low in shame.”

I chuckled and decided to joke a little bit in a cheeky tone, “Well, if Dad was really here, I doubt he would permit me to be with you again.”

I couldn’t help but giggle more when he clenched my hand tighter with his lips puckered, the lower one jutting out and his eyebrows brought together. It was so adorable.

I nudged him a little as I said, “I’m kidding, Se. Dad isn’t like that at all.” I raise one of my eyebrows proudly. “He’s the coolest Dad this earth could possibly have.”

“Yes.” He breathed. “But you are his princess too, aren’t you? And I’m sure any king would want to protect his princess from anything or anyone that could hurt them.”

“That is true.” Mum agreed, joining us. She stood up and left Aeron to enjoy himself as he told Dad stories. “But if my husband was here, I know he would only want one thing to hear from you and another thing to see of you.” We were both looking at Mum, leaning my head to Sehun’s arm, as she continued talking to Sehun. “You already told me what he would’ve wanted to hear last night. And latter, that would take time. My husband is protective, especially to his family but he isn’t heartless.” And with a playful gaze, Mum asked us, “So, are you two officially together now? For the second time around?”

Before I could even confirm it, Sehun already beat me to it. “Yes, Auntie.”

Mum chuckled and pat Sehun’s arm. “If so, then I would be more pleased to hear you refer to me as your mother too.”

“Yeah, Sehun.” I nodded and looked at him. “Having two mothers is better than one.” I winked. “Right?”

The male just let out a chuckle, obviously not having any choice. He nodded his head and we all could see how grateful and happy we felt. We all were, actually. Particularly

Speaking of mothers, that night, Sehun’s mother was in so much delight when her son revealed that we were officially back together. Unlike my mother who behaved calmly, she was slightly different. She was more expressive and didn’t filter any joy upon hearing the news. It almost felt like Sehun proposed, and I said yes and we were engaged. (But I knew we’re far from that point yet.) We both intended to enjoy every minute and moment for now — no pressure from anyone, particularly ourselves.

“Did I tell you how disheartened Mum was when I told her that we broke up?” Sehun asked as he crawled to the bed, next to my side. I shook my head as a response and he beckoned me over so he could cuddle me to his side warmly.

“Why?” I returned as he wrapped his arms around me. “How did she react?”

He didn’t look at me and was playing with fingers as he responded. He recalled softly, “She called me a fool guy.” I tilted my head to look at him and when he sensed that, our locks gazed. “She said that I just let a very beautiful and wonderful lady slip out of my hand.” He continued, “That I was very stupid for letting you go.”

My jaw dropped agape. “No way.”

He nodded with a soft smile. “She did.” He affirmed. Then he moved slightly, making himself more comfortable and didn’t let me go, making sure I was still snuggled to his side. Sehun’s embrace felt like home.

Before continuing, he laced his fingers with mine. “I knew that. That what I did was very stupid but you know…”

I nodded understanding him. “I know.” I said softly.

“I was so scared.” He let out breathlessly. “If you would’ve gone to another man, I don’t think I’ll ever forgive myself.”

I chuckled humourlessly and moved to cup his face with my delicate fingers. I smiled at him softly as his eyes were searching for reassurance. I brushed my finger over his eyebrow gently and reminded him, “It didn’t happen, Sehun.” Kissing the side of his lips, I whispered to him, “I suppose, you and I, we’re meant to be even before we knew it. Not just to be together but to be together until the very end.”

Sehun and I shared locking gazes before he leaned in to connect his lips with mine. I moaned from the brief surprise and returned the kiss he’s giving me. As we break it breathlessly, we smiled and hugged each other. Then, he tightened his hold on me, pulling me to lay over his top body. I showered him with kisses, suddenly feeling the complete bliss at the point of where we were at the moment.

From that moment on, time went pretty fast between Sehun and I. I was glad that Joonmyeon wholeheartedly accepted the decision my (now) boyfriend and I made without any tint of doubt towards Sehun. My cousin could be really protective, given how he’s almost like a big brother to me, and getting that blessing from him was almost as good as getting our family’s permission.

A week after our visit to our hometown, the next weekend specifically, Sehun took me back to his family again. Sehun’s parents were living about the same distance from our place to our (well, his previous) hometown, except, it’s completely on the other way. They moved there slightly earlier before we broke up then, but since we were together, Sehun chose to stay with me. That was until things started to go down.

Meeting Sehun’s family again was nerve-wracking. I was just as nervous as I was when he first took me to them, to introduce me as his girlfriend and not as a “friend”. So much has changed since then and though I knew how his Mum was supportive of our relationship, I think being nervous, like the first, was a normal thing. After all, technically, Sehun and I were a new couple. Not to mention, how I found Sehun’s father somewhat intimidating when I first met him. Unlike my Dad, he was slightly tougher and astute. But over time, I saw how he was a warm man and he was not actually as tough as I initially thought of him.

Sensing how nervous I was, Sehun held my hand and rub his thumb over my skin, my soft spot to calm me, my heart and my nerves. I gave him a slightly abashed and anxious smile but that only led him to bring my hand to his face, pressing his lips over it.

He gave me reassuring smile and reminder, “You’ll be fine.”

I sighed. “I don’t even know why I’m this nervous, Se. I feel like I’m more anxious than I should be.”

“Just like how nervous I was last week, when we were driving back to see Aeron and your Mum.” He said, making me look at him.

“You were this nervous?”

He bobbed his head, humming. Glancing at me quickly, before shifting back to the road. Then he explained, “More or less.” Well, this was a fact I didn’t foresee. I didn’t know Sehun would be this nervous, given how we were not exactly and officially back together when we got there. We ex-couple and friend, well, until the night of the very same day, of course. “But it was okay because I knew you were there for me. You were with me. And I got that strength and courage from you. I knew I’ll be okay.” He concluded. “And I was.”

“Se…”

“What I’m saying is…” He paused and stopped the car on the stop light behind another two cars. He looked at me with his sincere gaze. “If you’re really feeling nervous and can’t help it, then just think how I am here with you. I won’t let anything happen. It’ll be okay. Can’t you trust me?”

“I trust you, Sehun.” I pouted, slightly upset that he’s doubting that. But at the same time, it clicked to me that he was just trying to get a point across.

“Then, believe me when I say it’ll be okay. Get the strength from me.”

With that, I nodded my head. I knew with Sehun, there’s nothing to fear.

“And besides, Mum is so happy to see you as my girlfriend once again. Dad would be the same and even my brother.”

I widened my eyes. “Your brother would be there too?”

The light turned green so Sehun had to return his gaze back on the road but he did not forget to respond to my question. He was still holding my hand. “Yeah, and his girlfriend too.”

“Really?”

He chuckled. “Yes.”

Now, I didn’t know if that was a good thing or bad thing. But regardless, what Sehun told me earlier was enough to somehow alleviate my nervousness.

For another forty-five minutes, we arrived at the Oh’s residence. Sehun parked the car by the spacious space in the garage and by the looks of it, I knew everyone was already there and it’s just us to complete the picture.

I took a deep breath, calming myself once again. I hadn’t realise that Sehun was watching me until he cupped my face kissed me on the lips. Then, as though that wasn’t enough, he pressed his lips my forehead too. “You’ll be okay.” He whispered sweetly.

When he pulled back, I opened my closed eyes and saw him beaming. I looked back and saw Sehun’s mother approaching with his brother’s girlfriend, Jihee. Sehun got off the car and quickly sauntered around to open my side.

“Son!” She greeted and then turned to me, “Darling, oh my gosh.” She gave me a motherly kiss and embrace as I nodded my head towards the younger lady who was wearing a friendly smile.

“I’m so happy to see you again. And as my son’s girlfriend again, at that.” The older lady chirped. He turned to Sehun, and hit him in the arm, making the latter yelp, she said, “And you, I’m proud of you. For getting your girl back. I’m happy for you, son.”

I smiled shyly as the male next to me responded, “I’m happy too, Mum. Really happy.”

“I can see that.” She acknowledged.

Just then, Jihee joined in. “It’s really nice to see you two together again.” She added. “I ship you two. Finally started sailing again.”

I giggled and Sehun chuckled.

“Well, then.” Sehun’s mother started again, “Come in. The two boys are at the yard doing the barbecue.”

As we made our way inside, I clinged myself around Sehun, hugging his arm, with hopes that he didn’t mind. I was still quite anxious (not as much as before though), and I need some aid to keep myself together. But my boyfriend was quick to reassure and comfort me when he held my hand tightly and glanced at me with an affectionate smile. Something as simple as that made me forget a part of my anxiety of the moment and as we made way further, it seemed to alleviate more and more.

By the time we got to the yard, Sehun’s brother and their father were standing before the barbecue, grilling some sausages, chicken and vegetables, like capsicums and onion. Oh and corn, too. I could feel my tummy already grumbling with the smell.

Sehun’s mother announced our presence causing for the two busy men to snap their heads towards our directions. With that, I let Sehun go so he could greet his family properly. My lips curved softly as I watched them reunite again and then, I bowed my head lightly when Sehun’s brother bobbed his head towards me, acknowledging my presence. I felt like tearing up with how welcoming his family has been, despite not even being half through it. I guess, what Sehun felt was the same. Except, perhaps, it was less dramatic than I was at the moment.

Luckily though, before any water streamed off to my cheeks, Sehun’s father called for me. I walked towards them and I bowed slightly but politely. However, he only chuckled at that and gave me a fatherly hug. The kind of hugs my own Dad would usually give me, when I was young, usually after he gets back from work.

“Hi Uncle…” I greeted softly, slightly shy as it was the first time seeing them again after more than two years.

“No need to get shy around us, darling. You’re like our daughter too since Sehun introduced you to us.” He told me. And honestly, that sent relief throughout my nerves. “I’m proud that my two sons know how to choose a lady.” He said with much pride.

“That’s right. Jihee and I missed you a lot, too. We thought you wouldn’t see us at all after the two of you broke up.” The other male expressed.

I moved my head side to side. Though, I have to say, I was slightly guilty as well. Few weeks after Sehun broke up with me, I saw his brother with his girlfriend at the mall. However, at that time, more than being hurt, I really didn’t have the courage to face them, yet alone greet or even smile at them. As much as sorry I was, I still didn’t do it. And by the time I was really okay, we never saw each other anymore. It was a shame. I never thought I’d be able to say sorry but now, I knew I had the opportunity.

I hung my head low with a guilty and tight smile as I bit my bottom lip. “I’m sorry.”

“Oh, that’s okay.” He quickly said, completely understanding me. “We understood.” the next thing he added caught me off guard. “Both my Mum and my girlfriend were hoping you’d two get back together. I was lowkey hoping too.”

“I second to that.” Sehun’s father joined, making my eyes round larger. Then, as though that was nothing, he asked his youngest son to get the white plate over the picnic table for him.

“I think everyone can see how we really match.” Sehun whispered to me, a little too loudly as he finished attending to his father’s favour.

“No.” His brother disagreed, making the both of us look at him. “I saw how much my brother loves you and how much that has turned him into the best version of himself. And I think, all of us,” he gestured to everyone but the two of us, “know that Sehun couldn’t possibly love someone as much as he loves you.”

“And, I think, fate would really be screw up if they didn’t have you back together again.” Jihee added, leaning over to her boyfriend as he placed his arm around her petite shoulders.

“That’s right.” He agreed.

Sehun and I looked at each other. This second chance we have… I knew it would be the last. I had the feeling and neither of us were willing to take it for granted. Yes, I love Sehun. Very much. My love for him probably never went away but as he continued wooing me, that’s when I gradually realised the biggest love I have was hiding at the very bottom of my heart.

“So, when’s the wedding?” Jihee asked, making my boyfriend chuckle.

“I think you two would go first before us.” He said, bobbing his head towards his brother.

The lady rolled her eyes, joking, “I don’t even know if this male has any plans marrying me.”

The man next to her gaped at him, giving an offended look but we all know he was far from offended. “Don’t make me propose to you right now.” He threatened. His girlfriend blushed.

“No, don’t.” She squeaked, turning shy.

“Thought so.” He said and then, dropped a promise. “My proposal will be special and it will be something you’ll remember for a lifetime.”

We heard Sehun’s mother aww-ing, too pleased to see the picture before her.

“Okay, barbecue is finished.” The father announced. “Shall we eat?”

We all glanced at each other and coming to a common agreement that we should all dig in. (Honestly, I was getting so hungry too. And I knew Sehun knew because he gave me this playful smirk before we sat on our seats.

The rest of that weekend turned out to be better than we expected and before that ended, Sehun’s brother, just like he promised, gave the most special and beautiful proposal to his girlfriend. Sehun helped and knew all about it. I didn’t. He didn’t let me know because I knew how excited I could get and might spoil things. I whined for a bit, being the girl I am but I understood completely. I would’ve been angry at him if he told because at times like that, I just can’t manage to shut up.

Presently, we were at Baekhyun’s place celebrating something that we don’t even know what. It was just one of those nights where the boys decide to gather and just drink, really. We were all sitting around the dining table, when Chanyeol opened up something.

“Oh, I saw Soobin earlier.”

We all silenced about that revelation but more than us, there was one person who we knew was more than interested about that information. My boyfriend and I looked at Jongin who was still at shock, unable to react to what he just heard. I could see how his ears perked up though, especially at the mention of his ex-girlfriend.

Seeing how he’s unable to utter any word, Sehun does it for him. “How is she?”

“She’s great, I think.” He said. “I saw a ring on her finger. It looked like an engagement ring.”

Intrigued, I asked, “Did you ask her?” I didn’t fail to notice how disheartened Jongin got as he heard that.

To my disappointment, the tall man shook his head. “She was with someone else.”

“Who?” Baekhyun asked.

He shrugged his shoulders. “Dunno. But must be a friend. She was waiting for her, if I should describe. I think they met up.”

Now, I was concerned for Jongin. How would he react? Especially when he’s the ex-boyfriend. Looking at him, all of us would assume that he has moved on. According to Sehun, he has dated other girls but none of them really lasted long enough to be his girlfriend. To me, he looked happy and his usual self. It was already like that even before Sehun and I broke up.

But we know Jongin. None of us could really say that he moved on or that he hasn’t, only because neither of us really mentioned Soobin after the breakup. This was the first, if they didn’t talk about her for the nearly two years we didn’t see each other and based from their reactions, I knew that this was indeed the first time.

Not wanting to turn the night into a melancholy one, Baekhyun initiated to flip the mood and Sehun and Chanyeol wisely worked along, followed by everyone else. In the next fifteen minutes, everybody was already the lounge and it was only Jongin and I left on the table.

Before Sehun left me with him though, he gripped on thigh and gave me a tight smile. I knew what that meant. Just like him, and everyone else, I was concerned for Jongin too. Him doing that, I knew that he trusted me being there for his good best-friend.

“Want another bottle?” I asked the tan male who hasn’t left or even moved from his spot.

It was only then when he snapped out of it. “Huh?”

“Another bottle?” I said again and patiently.

He drank the small amount left from his previous bottle and nodded his head, “Yes, please.”

“Babe,” I called Sehun. I was lying on his bed with my feet on his headboard and my head leaned backwards so I could see him. I put away the book I was reading and rolled to my stomach when he focused his gaze on me. “Jongin still loves Soobin.”

He smiled and I furrowed my eyebrows.

“You know?”

“We all do.” He said as a matter of fact. “And besides, I know because I’ve been there before.”

I put my lip out and smiled at him, still sad about the thought that Jongin was in the same situation as Sehun, except Soobin is engaged. There was really no chance between them like the way we had.

Right now, the reason why they broke up was not really as important as what it is now. Though yes, they called it off because Jongin got scared. He got scared when she started asking him about their future or more specifically marriage. He was not ready. Neither of them were and he didn’t want to disappoint her. Yet, in the end, he did. That’s the reason why Jongin thought that his ex-girlfriend broke up with him because to him, she thought that he wasn’t willing to be with her until the very end. He does! He loved her so much, he wanted her. But marriage, it is a heavy word carrying a big responsibility. The talk of marriage held pressure between them. It’s not that Jongin was unwilling to marry her. It was just that he thought that it was too early for them to think about it. After all, they were still young and they had forever. But to his misconception, they didn’t. They didn’t had forever like what he imagined.

“Baby,” Sehun said, getting my attention. He moved so we were facing each other although our faces were upside down. He kissed my forehead and I closed my eyes to feel that. As he leaned back, I opened them again and met his gaze. “Jongin will be okay.”

“How do you know that?” I asked in doubt.

“Because we’re here for him. We’re not going to leave him alone.” He said.

“Sehun…” I huffed.

“Look, we aren’t even sure if Soobin is really engaged. What if all of this, all of what Chanyeol was a misconception?”

“What do you mean?”

“There are so many things about this that even we aren’t sure about. There are so many surprises.” He said. “If Jongin and Soobin are bound to be together again, if Soobin loves our friend the way he does with her, then trust me when I say that they will find their way back with each other.”

“You mean…?”

He nodded. “Soobin won’t get engaged, if she is, to another man if she really loves him. We’ve met and known her, don’t we?” I nodded my head. “She’s a pure girl and we both know that she wouldn’t be with another man if it’s still Jongin.”

“Like Jongin…” I realised. “Who has seen many girls yet he really didn’t have anyone after her.”

He nodded. “Love is a powerful force, you know?”

“I know.” I whispered.

“Then we just have to trust that. If Jongin will ever meet someone new or if he and Soobin get back together like we did, whatever it is, what’s important is that we’ll be here for him.”

“We can’t force love. But we can do something with what we can and we will do that.”

I pressed my lips together. “Jongin deserves to be happy.”

He bobbed his head. “He does.”

Looking at Sehun, I just couldn’t help but carry my head so my lips would meet his. Suddenly, I felt this rush inside me, realising how lucky we both were. I was just so, so thankful. “I love you, Sehun.”

Pressing his lips to the tips of my nose, he said, “If you keep this up, we might end up getting married to each other before my brother.”

I giggled and showered him with kisses, holding his head firmly and he moaned, returning each and every of it. He filled me with love, so much my heart could explode. I still felt electricity all over my body. I felt like a teenager but it was least of my concerns because that night, became one of our many sweetest nights.


Author's Note:

And so here we are. Next chaper will be the last! After, we are done! I think? Hahaha. Again, I don't know how long  you guys will wait until then, but yes, this fic will be complete very soon!