Chapter One

Reborn {Vmin} 🌼

"Jimin, you know you can't stay in your room all day."

"Watch me, Nayeon."

Fall break was almost over, and that just meant it was almost time for me to go back to school. Now just like every other teenager, I can't stand school in any way shape or form. And just like every other teenager, I have my own very specific reasons. People call me names, such as "Jiminie Cricket" isn't that hilarious and original? It's a play on my real name, "Jimin" if you didn't catch on quick enough. They call me chubby, and also make fun of my height as well. Which is why I caught the name "Jiminie Cricket". Even though I'm no where near as short as him. Or at least I think.

"Well today you have to get out of bed, mom has something planned for you."

I let out a long groan. It was the last day of fall break, couldn't she just let me enjoy my last few hours of peace in actual peace? I hope it's nothing unbearable. Like something that involves people and actually getting to know them. Or even worse, being outdoors. Because that's my definition of unbearable.

"Ugh, what is it?"

"For the next few months, you're gonna help the Kim's with their garden. Their moms sick, and the son can't do it all by himself."

I jumped up from my face-crushed pillow and looked my cousin straight in the eye, with terror and confusion. I knew who the Kim's son was, and even though he had never been harsh towards me, if I acted strange- what would he say about me? This was a situation that if I lost the fight I was about to put toward it, I would have to be extremely careful. 

"What? No way. One, I'm allergic to grass- and two, I don't like to interact with people from school, especially after school. So in a simple conclusion, there's no way in hell I'm doing this."

"Jimin, what the hell? His mom is sick, can't you just do one thing for his family?"

"I get it, I feel bad for him. But I'm not good with this kind of stuff. Why not get Sooyoung to do it? She's much better with this kind of stuff."

"His family says he may feel more comfortable with someone his own age that goes to school with him."

"Oh my God, as long as someone's there what's the big deal?"

"Stop being so ignorant, imagine if you were in this type of situation."

"That would never happen. Mom's perfectly healthy and I don't have a dad to begin with."

"You never think, do you, Jimin? Well it doesn't matter, you are going to do this whether you like it or not. And if you wanna fight about, go do it with momma and not me."

She walked out of my sight and down the hallway. I grunted and quickly got up, preparing for the fight. I put my glasses on as I headed out the room and made my way for mom's room. I rushed down the hallway and bursted into her room. She sat on her bed, looking straight at me as I walked in. Almost as if she was expecting me.

"Jimin, you're doing it. Nothing you say will convince me otherwise."

"Mom, oh my god, what have they even done for us anyway? And why me of all people?"

"Jimin, show at least a little respect. This is what good humans do, please prove to me you aren't some slob that sits up in their room all day."

"But that's exactly what I am."

"No, you're better than you put yourself out to be. He needs a friend, Jiminie. And if we're being honest, so do you."

"He has friends mom. He doesn't need another one."

"But you do. This is a good opportunity for you. And besides, he won't be in school for the next few months. He needs someone besides family beside him these next few months. You can be that person."

I bit my lip and looked down at the ground. I can already tell I'm not gonna win this fight, especially since their using making me feel guilty as their main attack. I'm just gonna try to take this as a good thing that maybe I can shed a few pounds and maybe up my gardening skills a little bit. But I doubt I'll make any friends out of this.

"Ok, but if I come home crying everyday about this- it's your fault."

Mom pulled me into a hug which left me with a confused look on my face. I patted her back and tried my best to not pull right out of the hug as soon as contact was made. The knowledge has just come to me that I'm not used to hugs, like at all. I'm not even sure I like them.

"Jimin, I'm proud of you."

"Mom, this is nothing. Like at all."

"It is for you. I know how much you don't like to leave the house. This is the first step to your rehabilitation! Haha!"

"Nice reference mom, I'm glad you actually pay attention to the stuff I play late into the night."

"Why don't you go tell Nayeon you're actually gonna do this. And not complain, right?"

I gave a sigh, "Right."

I walked over to my cousin Nayeon's room which used to be the study, since she's staying with us because she dropped out of college. As soon as I walked in she gave me "So, what are you going to do?" look, which I got very often from her. I sighed and then answered the question she didn't even personally ask.

"I'm gonna do it."

She started clapping her hands and dancing around, which was completely and utterly embarrassing. I covered my eyes and tried not to laugh. I could feel arms develop around me. Wow, I sure am getting a lot of unwanted hugs today. And wow, I really don't like them. 

"I'm so proud of you Jiminie!"

"Mom said the exact same thing. What's to be proud about?"

"Oh please, you never leave the house and you're finally getting an opportunity to make a friend even though you could just walk away. What's not to be proud about?"

"Um, I basically have no choice in this. You said so yourself."

"Oh don't word it like that! Here, let me help you pick an outfit to wear tomorrow."

"I'm capable."

Nayeon looked me up and down. I'm wearing a ripped pair of boxers and a gross t-shirt I've been wearing for days as a result of me not showering. I'm not exactly in the best state to say I'm capable. She makes a face at me and I roll my eyes.

"Ok, so maybe I do need a little help, but make me look manly. Don't put me in some gross pink cardigan."

"Oh hell, a gross pink cardigan would look adorable on you."

"Nayeon, I'm serious."

"Okay, okay. Manly, serious Jimin it is!"

We walked toward my room and it began. She began to shuffle through my closet, looking for something to make me look like an actual decent person. She would pick up an article of clothing, inspect it, and then throw it harshly on the ground if she didn't particularly like it. She did this with most of my clothes, leaving the clothes remaining in my closet at a minimal. 

"We're gonna pick from the clothes I left in your closet."

"What? But you threw my favorite shirt in the floor!"

I pointed down at the ground where my Persona 5 shirt my aunt brought from Japan last year laid. She looked down at it and then back up at me, and I decided not to press further. What's so wrong with a Persona 5 shirt? Geez.

"What about this one?"

She pointed at a black and white striped turtle neck that I hadn't worn in years. I looked at it for a second. Could I even still fit that? It had been years since I'd worn it. I don't wanna try it on and then get my feelings hurt simply because I can't wear an old, tight shirt.

"Um, I don't know if I can still wear that."

"You wanna try it on?"

"No, let's just find something else."

"Oh come on Jimin! It would look so darling on you! At least try it on."

"No, I'll just wear something else."

She looked down back at the shirt for a second and then finally shrugged. She laid the shirt down in the pile and I caught a breath of relief. I really didn't wanna try that shirt on. It would have been so embarrassing if I couldn't fit it. She reached back in the closet and pulled out a t-shirt of a band I didn't even listen to anymore. I knew for a fact I could still fit that one, simply because I wore it last weekend. It was strangely comfy from being from Hot Topic.

"Sure."

"It's not that cute, but it's the second best thing. I guess."

"And for pants?"

"Just throw on your black skinny jeans. You always look good in those. And it would look good with this shirt."

I nodded my head and preceded to get my black jeans out of my drawer. I grabbed the shirt from her and gave her one last look before I headed to the bathroom. She gave a smile and I returned a small one. Why was everyone so proud of me? It's weird and strangely awkward.

I took my shirt off and looked in the mirror. I'm strongly displeased with myself. I ate way to much this weekend. Now I'm gonna be depressed about it till next weekend, which will only make me eat more. I looked away from the mirror and preceded to actually put my clothes on.

As soon as I was done, I looked back in the mirror. It didn't look to bad, except for my hair being messy and greasy. But I looked a lot better than I had expected. I opened the door and walked out, where I found Nayeon staring at me as soon as I took a step out. It shocked me a little bit but I didn't fall back like I usually do when some sneaks up on me.

"Oh my gosh Jiminie! You look so very handsome! Ah~"

"No, not really-"

"Well, except for your hair. But at least we can do something about that."

"Thanks, ."

"Hey, I'm only here for advice."

"Whatever, are we done here? I wanna play games."

"Can't you think about anything else but games for two minutes?"

"No."

"At least you state the truth. I'll call you down from dinner in like, thirty minutes. You better come or I'm beating your !"

"I will, I will."

She walked out and then finally I was alone after like an hour. I was exhausted from all the forced talking into making me want to go to that guys house but I still really didn't want to go to that guys house tomorrow, but at least I was now feeling slightly better about the whole situation thanks to the "cute" outfit Nayeon picked out for me. 

I walked over to the PlayStation, turned it on, and then jumped onto my bed. My last few hours of peace before spring break began. I hoped I could make them last, for as long as humanly possible. But everybody knows when you don't want something to end, it ends as fast as possible.