The Girl in the Dream

Borrowed Memory

Incheon International Airport, April 2017

“We haven’t seen each other for two years. I really missed you.”

“I missed you too.”

“How’s your study in America?”

“It’s okay, I was able to cope up immediately in the climate and culture.”

“Good for you.”

“How are you?”

“Me? The usual, working at my parents’ business.”

“You didn’t pursue your dream?”

“How could I? You know how strict Dad is.”

“I know, but there is no harm in trying”

“It’s alright. I’ll enjoy my job now and when the right time comes, I will pursue my dream.”

“Always remember that I am here to support you. I am your number one fan.”

“Thank you for always being here with me”

******************************************************************

“It’s a different dream from the previous one. It is somehow familiar, that scene, I saw it somewhere before, but I can’t remember when and where” Hyesung said.

“She looks very familiar, where have I seen her?”

******************************************************************

“Did I go to America to study or it’s Eric again?” Hyesung is contemplating his thought about his dream last night.

“I better ask Mom for reassurance.”

 

“Mom.”

“Yes, dear.”

“Can I ask you something?”

“What is it?”

“Did I ever go to America to study?”

“Why did you suddenly ask that?”

“Nothing, it just came into my mind.”

“You did study there, for two years.”

 “From what year?”

“2015-2017”

“What month did I go back to Korea?”

“Around April of 2017. You took your Masters in Business Administration there, you don’t remember?”

“No, isn’t it strange. There are things I cannot remember from the past and there are things that I see in my dream which don’t seems familiar to me.”

“What do you mean, “things you cannot remember?””

“Like, I study America. I cannot even remember going there.”

“Really?”

“Yes, what is strange is, last night, I dream about a man and a woman from the airport.  She asked the man how his study in America. I am sure that the girl is the same as in my previous dream, but the man is somehow different.”

“What is different about him?”

Hyesung mom is now feeling nervous, she thought that she shouldn’t have said that Hyesung used to study at America.

“I somehow feels that I am the man in my dream.” Hyesung quickly answers.

“Why do you think so?”

“Mom, it already came from you. I study there for two years until April 2017.

“And?”

“There is a big possibility that I am the guy in my dream last night. The girl in my dream said that they haven’t seen each other for two years. Now, I am thinking, what is my relationship with “her?”

“How are you certain about your assumption? We didn’t even know if your dreams are true.”

“Mom, my dream and these strange things happening to me started six months ago and if we trace back the time, it will be exactly around April 2017

“Son, I think you are just mixing things up.” His mom said to settle things up.

“What do you mean, Mom.”

“You have been dreaming the same dream for almost six months and last night you dreamed a different dream. You asked me just to justified what you have seen in your dream and when you heard my answers, it mixes up to you, that the man in your dream is you.”

“But, Mom. That scene seems familiar to me. How could that be?” Hyesung is now confused.

“You also said that when you saw the oak tree painting in your dream and then you painted the exact oak tree?”

“But..”

“You are mixing things up, Son. You are thinking that your dreams are happening in real life which isn’t.

******************************************************************

That night Hyesung still contemplates on his dream and recalls his conversation with his mom until he fell asleep.

 “Always remember that I am here to support you. I am your number one fan.”

“Thank you for always being here with me. I love you, Hyesung-oppa.”

“I love you too, Hyerim.”

 

“Hyerim?”

“I was right, I am the man in my dream but… who is Hyerim?”

“I am certain I saw her somewhere.”

******************************************************************

“Mom, do you know where is my high school yearbook?”

“Why are you suddenly looking for it?” His mom asked as she prepares the breakfast.

“I am just want to look at something.” Hyesung replied.

“It’s in the bookshelf at the storage room” His mother answered.

“Thank you.”

 

Hyesung went to the storage room and look for his high school year book.

 

“Here it is.” Hyesung grabbed the maroon book at the bottom part of the shelf.

 

At the kitchen

“Wait…He should not see that yearbook…” his mother jolted and ran from the kitchen to the storage room.

 

“Hyesung. Wait!” His mother shouted.

Mrs. Shin saw Hyesung sitting at the floor, the year book was opened. As he looked at his mother…

 

“Mom…What is this?” Hyesung asked

His mother knew at that very moment she cannot hide the truth anymore. She knew through Hyesung’s face has given to her.

 

“Son, let me explain.” His mother said in a calm voice.

“I am already in doubt about what you said yesterday, that is why I looked for this.” He answered.

“…”

“Last night, I dreamed again about the man and the girl in the airport.  The girl said, “I love you, Hyesung-oppa.”

“Hyesung.” His mother is now sitting on the floor beside her son.

“In my last dream, I couldn’t see the face of the girl but in my dream last night, I was able to saw a glimpse of her features and she looked familiar. I think carefully where I was her face and that is the reason why I looked for the yearbook. This is what I saw, and you know Mom, the guy which is me, replied, “I love you too, Hyerim.””

“Son.”

“Mom, please explain this to me. Who is she? Who is Hyerim?” Hyesung said as he is now crying.

“Okay, I’ll tell you who is she.”

“Her name is Shin Hyerim.”

“Shin Hyerim?”

“Yes, dear”

“What is my relationship to her? Why am I dreaming about her?”

“…”

“Don’t tell me, she’s my…”

“She’s your first cousin.”

Hyesung dropped the year book as he heard what his mother said.

 “First cousin?”

 “Yes. Son”

“And her relationship to Eric?”

“Eric…was her boyfriend.”

“Was? What happened to them? Did they break up?”

“No, they didn’t.”

“Then what happened?”

“Hyerim…she died.”

“What?! When? Why I don’t remember her?”

“She died this year.”

“Just this year? What month?” Hyesung asked as he was rather expecting the answer of his mother.

“April 2017.”

“April 2017? You said yesterday that I came back from America last April 2017.”

“Yes.”

“Are we together when she died?”

“…”

There was a long silence in the room after Hyesung question.

******************************************************************

What happened to Hyerim?

Is Hyerim the organ donor of Hyesung?

What happened on April 2017?

******************************************************************

Thank you for your continuous support to my story.