The Puppy and the Hamster - Kihyuk

Happy Birthday Yoo

Minhyuk chuckles darkly, watching as his annoying boyfriend stomps away towards the door. He exits their shared apartment with a slam, and Minhyuk almost feels bad… almost.

He knows he shouldn’t pick a fight with Kihyun on his birthday like that, but he just can’t help it. He had to get the slightly-younger out of the house before the takeout gets there. Kihyun has absolutely no idea Minhyuk’s just sent him on a wild goose chase to find a special tea blend. Minhyuk glances around the apartment, knowing exactly what he has to do.

 

Kihyun grumbles under his breath as the chilly air whistles past his ears. He hunches his shoulder forward and hides his gloved hands in his pockets in an attempt to stave off the cold. He doesn’t know why he puts up with Minhyuk sometimes. He’s endlessly infuriating, picking an argument at every little thing, and so demanding. In fact, he’s just sent Kihyun out at sunset just to find some tea he’s never even heard of…

That brat doesn’t even drink tea, Kihyun mentally complains, going into the third store since he’s left that damned apartment. Of course, he walks out only a few minutes later emptyhanded. It’s been the same for all the stores he’s gone into thus far, and he suddenly wonders if Minhyuk hadn’t just made this up to see if Kihyun would actually go get it, to test him.

The man pulls out his phone and searches the tea. He in a breath, seeing there’s no stores in their area that offers such a blend.

Kihyun shoves his phone into his coat pocket, and begrudgingly stomps off back towards home.

Minhyuk’s gonna get an earful when he gets back.

 

It isn’t often that Minhyuk cooks, but tonight’s a special occasion. He’s taken advantage of Kihyun’s absence to not only decorate as he’d planned, but to also bake a cake like none other. It’s honestly pretty perfect, he’s gotta say. The layers are perfect circles, and the icing work looks professional. He even got a bit adventurous and doodled a little hamster head on the top layer in red icing, a reference to a nickname the slightly-younger had had back in college.

The front door suddenly slams open and closed, signifying the return of his one true love, and Minhyuk whirls about. He easily puts on the brightest smile he’s had in a long while, readying himself for seeing Kihyun’s shocked face.

 

Kihyun returns to the apartment ready to rip that boyfriend of his a new one. How dare that lanky prick send him out like that in the cold weather, and for absolutely nothing!!

“Minhyuk-ssi!” Kihyun calls, the frustration clear in his voice. There’s a soft chuckle from the kitchen, and Kihyun raises a questioning brow as he trudges towards the room.

“Happy birthday, my Kihyunnie~!” Minhyuk’s voice shouts as soon as he enters. Kihyun’s jaw goes slack, the sight almost too much for him to take in. Confetti covers every inch of surface in the room, and streamers hang from the ceiling. The kitchen table is filled with fried chicken, and a single two-layer cake just big enough for two sits on the counter.

“Minhyuk-ah, how did you—?"

“It feels so distant when you call me that…” Minhyuk complains, pouting a little. “Is that really the thanks I get for doing all this? I can’t even get a ‘thank you, hyung’ for putting myself through all this effort and hard work? Really, Kihyunnie, it’s almost as if you don’t love me any more…” Kihyun can’t help but laugh at the overly-dramatic reaction. He closes the distance between them, and places a gentle kiss against Minhyuk’s smirking lips.

“Thank you, hyung~” Kihyun murmurs, his voice low and holding something more than simple gratitude. His eyes shine with a look only Minhyuk could understand, the kind of love that could surpass lifetimes, and the taller can’t help but mirror his expression.

The two then move towards the table to eat, Kihyun already diving into a lecture about sending him out to buy a tea that isn’t even available locally. Their bickering fills the apartment, a sound the walls know all too well, but one that, nonetheless, makes this place home.