Rose Petals and Ramyeon - Kiho

Happy Birthday Yoo

Hoseok glances around the small apartment with a smile of purity and exhilaration. He’s so proud of himself for the idea that had struck him only a few hours ago, much less for how he actually managed to get it all done in time.

He’d been wracking his brain for the perfect way to celebrate his boyfriend’s birthday for weeks now, and inspiration had suddenly struck him at work. He’d immediately bolted from his boring desk job, claiming a bout of nausea. Of course, he’ll probably have to pay for it later, but at least Hyunwoo will cover for him for the time-being.

Rose petals mark a pathway from the front door to the dining room, where Hoseok currently sits awaiting his boyfriend’s return. He waits with baited breath, a lighter in his hand. He’ll light the candles as soon as he hears the front door.

Kihyun’s been really stressed out about finals lately, and he’s that the younger will finally laugh out loud at the sight. He can just see the man’s smile now… That brilliant, bright smile that could rival any star in the universe. It’s been so long since he’s seen it because of how tense Kihyun has been lately, but he’s sure to see it today…

 

Kihyun, on the other hand, is in the worst mood possible. He’s just spent the past four hours in the library, studying subject after subject. He’s covered in highlighter ink, and is pretty sure he wreaks of Fritos and Monster Energy Drink. Algorithms and quotes of famous literary works swim about in his head, all the information running together in one infuriating blur.

He wants nothing more than to take a bath and go to bed. Possibly even cuddle with Hoseok as he tries to sleep, but he isn’t too sure on that, yet. It depends on the state of the apartment, as he’d asked the older to clean earlier this week…

Something that he clearly hasn’t done yet, judging by the trail of crap that’s haphazardly trudged throughout the apartment. Kihyun in a disapproving breath, dropping his bag in dismay and muttering an expletive under his breath. He sees as he removes his own shoes that the rack is even still in disarray, and the observation doesn’t do much to help his mood.

He hears a noise from the dining room, and stomps towards the room, his aggravation having reached its peak. His entire body aches with fatigue, and his own eyes burn. He flicks the light on immediately upon reaching the room, ready to rip Hoseok a new one.

What the hell, Shin??” he demands, gesturing towards the mess of petals and completely missing the cake on the table. “I ask you to do one simple thing, to clean the damn apartment, and you can’t even do that?? How’d you even track all this crap in here? Don’t give me a ‘Oh, I didn’t realize’ excuse, because there’s no way you—”

Kihyun is stopped short mid-rant, noticing suddenly the cake with lit candles. The miniscule fires dance along the wicks, catching onto the hurt light in the older’s eyes.

“H-Happy birthday, K-Kihyunnie…” Hoseok mutters, sounding terribly defeated. Kihyun in a breath, chewing on his bottom lip in shame. He stares, dumbfounded, at his boyfriend, unsure of what to say. Guilt claws its way up his throat, and he has to swallow hard to push it back down, making his Adam’s apple bob.

“… Oh…” is all he can think to say. Hoseok heaves out a shaky breath, the force of it causing the fires to waver slightly, and he stands from his chair. He’s biting hard on his bottom lip, and Kihyun is pretty sure he’s doing his best to keep from crying. Hoseok hurries from the room, already bending down to start gathering up the rose petals.

“I’m th-thorry,” Hoseok stutters out, feeling absolutely at fault. He’s heartbroken Kihyun didn’t like the surprise as he’d predicted, and tells himself he should’ve known better than to make such a mess. Of course that’d only worsen the younger’s stress, messes of any kind always do. He hurries from the room to begin cleaning up, assuring his boyfriend it’ll be done in no time and that he has no reason to worry.

“Hyung, I—”

“No, it’s okay,” Hoseok interrupts, not giving Kihyun a chance to explain. “I’ll leave you to your work. Just don’t think about it. I’ll have all this up faster than you can pull out your books.” He then hurries from the room, rushing to complete the task.

Kihyun’s left alone in the dining room, feeling like an absolute .

 

Hoseok hides himself in his study after Kihyun’s outburst, knowing it’s best to leave the younger alone with his schoolwork in times like this. He reemerges around dinner time, fully intending to order takeout from Kihyun’s favorite chicken place. In fact, he already has the number dialed when he smells it.

Ramyeon.

He frowns in confusion, knowing Kihyun couldn’t possibly be cooking on his birthday. It’s a household rule they began when they moved in together, stating that the younger wouldn’t even think about stepping into the kitchen throughout the entirety of his birthday. He makes his way to the kitchen, pausing at the doorway at seeing about fifty different bowls of his favorite food set out on the counters.

“Oh, hyung…” Kihyun’s voice suddenly says, his tone subdued and apologetic. Hoseok pulls his bottom lip in between his teeth, his eyes widening as all the different spices hit his nostrils. They all mingle deliciously together, but he can’t think of what could’ve brought this on. Kihyun takes a step closer to him, and Hoseok takes it upon himself to close the distance. He holds the younger’s hands in his, just content to be this close to him after what had happened earlier.

“I’m sorry for what I said before,” Kihyun tells him, his eyes shining with sincerity. “You didn’t deserve it… I was just so burned out from studying. I didn’t even realize what I was saying until it was too late.”

“I understand, Kihyunnie,” Hoseok tells him gently, smiling comfortingly. “You didn’t have to do all this to apologize to me…” he can’t help but add, chuckling to himself. Kihyun beams up at him gratefully, and presses himself close to the older’s chest. He wraps his arms around the man’s waist, nuzzling against his shirt. “You only have a couple of semesters left, aga. Then it’ll be easier, and you can join the rest of us ers out in the real world.”

“I don’t know what I did to deserve someone like you,” Kihyun mutters, his grip on the older tightening as the taller’s arms circle round his body. Hoseok’s heartbeat is like music to his ears, and he presses his own head even closer just to hear it more clearly.

 

The two eat a wonderful dinner of noodles, and, after the younger takes a much-needed bath, retire to their bed for the night. The fall asleep in each other’s arms, just reveling in the closeness.

 

Hoseok awakens the next morning, after Kihyun’s already gone to class. He dazedly glances around the bed, pouting in confusion at the odd color surrounding him. As his vision adjusts to the harsh sunlight, his heart almost bursts at the sight, and he can’t help but giggle to himself.

A bed full of rose petals… and it isn’t even my birthday.