Chapter 2. "Step by Step"

Two People, Always.

*Beep beep*

Hyungsik's running late for his new drama's first script reading. He came directly from shooting a promotional video for Hwarang and just his luck, he's stuck in traffic. He should be at JTBC by now because the script reading will commence in 10 minutes, but he's not even halfway. He has been juggling his schedule from promoting Hwarang and the animated movie Trolls (where he dubbed for one of the main characters) and recently concluded a musical. He barely gets to sleep and eat on time. He now wonders if he made the right decision of accepting this drama because even if it is a once in a lifetime opportunity, he is physically drained. Hyungsik sighed helplessly at the backseat as he stared into space, negative thoughts every bit of energy he has left.

"Hyungsik ah.. I called the production staff and told them about our current situation. They told me that it's okay and that they will wait for you before they start." Taekyung said as he continued to type something on his phone. Barely noticing Hyungsik's devastated state.

"Hyung, it's not good to keep my senior actors or the production staff waiting. That's too unprofessional. They can start without me, that will be better." He said. Obviously frustrated that he cannot do anything at the moment. He also took out the script from his backpack and started memorizing his lines.

"I told them that already but they insisted that they will wait for you. I know you hate being the cause of delay but it's not your fault. I was told that there was an accident by the intersection that resulted to this traffic jam. We're in the middle of the bridge so there really is no other way but to wait." Taekyung explained hoping to at least ease Hyungsik's frustration. When he turned back to check on him, he saw Hyungsik seriously reading his script. Taekyung knew better so he just let him be.



He was 30 minutes late and he kept on apologizing to everyone especially to the PD, writer and senior actors who had to wait for him. Hyungsik was rather relieved from the warm welcome that he received despite causing a delay for their first meeting. "Hyungsik-ssi?" a small voice called him from behind and when he turned, he saw Park Boyoung smiling back at him. He almost dropped the script he was holding from the initial shock of seeing her in person. She's right in front of him and he was just starstrucked.

"O-oh.. Uh.. A-Annyeong sunbaenim.. Mianhe.. I made you wait. I promise it won't happen again. " he stuttered as he bowed to her a couple of times, anxiety written all over his face as he kept his gaze fixed on the floor, unable to look at her straight in the eyes. He heard her giggle prompting him to finally meet her eye to eye. "The rumors are true, you're too polite Hyungsik-ssi. Relax.. I don't bite!" She laughed, clearly amused by his awkward behaviour towards her. Hyungsik breathed out a sigh of relief as the sound of her laughter rang through his ears. "I really didn't mind waiting, I got to talk to PD Lee and Writer Kim about the details of filming so it's really okay. Don't beat yourself up for it." She said as she smiled back to him. "You can also drop the honorifics now, I want you and Jisoo-ssi to be comfortable around me starting today. Besides, I'm only a year older than you right?" Hyungsik nodded as he tried to comprehend everything. He was too overwhelmed by her presence he could hardly utter a word. "Come on, we're about to start." She gave him a light pat on the back as she ushered him inside the conference room.


The script reading went smoothly. The fun atmosphere somehow helped ease Hyungsik's worries and allowed him to fully immerse in his character during the session. He exchanged numbers with the other cast members and crew after the meeting however, he didn't know how to approach Boyoung and ask for her number. He finds it stupid that he is acting this way. He didn't really have a hard time approaching his female co-stars before in fact, he's usually the one who initiates a conversation even with older actors. He gave himself a mental slap. "This isn't the time to act like this." he thought. This is his first lead role in a series and the pressure is just too extreme for him to handle. And after seeing Park Boyoung in person, other than being completely starstrucked and in awe of her beauty and presence, he felt small. He didn't how he's going to match her charisma and acting ability that were very evident during the script reading. Lost in his thoughts, he didn't notice Jisoo approaching him.

"Hyung.." Jisoo tapped his shoulder snapping him out of his reverie. "Are you okay, Hyung?" Jisoo noticed that he looked a bit lost and bothered. "Huh? Yes, I'm okay. Just tired I guess? I haven't been able to get some decent amount of sleep lately." He said assuring Jisoo that there's nothing to worry about. "Boyoung noona wanted to get our number and start a group chat so we could you know, get to know each other better and work on our chemistry as a team. She already got mine and was looking for you-- oh! There she is." He saw Boyoung walking towards them and eventually joined their conversation; he felt quites relieved that he need not ask for her number. "There you are! I've been looking for you Hyungsik-ssi." She gave him her phone and said, "Type in your number, I will make a group chat for us three. We can talk about anything and everything under the sun there. Like what I said to you earlier, I want you both to be comfortable towards me and vice versa and this will allow us to know more about each other and establish great teamwork and friendship." She explained further as Hyungsik and Jisoo listened attentively. "Don't hesitate to message me okay? I will also try my best to guide you both. We can do this alright?" She smiled brightly as her way of encouraging them both.

Jisoo excused himself and bid them goodbye since he still has a photoshoot to attend to leaving Boyoung and Hyungsik to chat amongst themselves. The two stayed along with the other cast and crew for an early dinner. They sat down across each other in the conference room where the script reading took place as they waited for PD Lee to finish his meeting with a sponsor. There were a few people from the staff, mostly writers, who decided to stay at the other room so Boyoung and Hyungsik were left alone. 

Boyoung can sense Hyungsik's hesitation to casually talk to her so she took the initiative to lead the conversation. "You seem a bit distant Hyungsik-ssi, is something bothering you?" Hyungsik sighed. "Can I be honest with you noona?" He asked as he looked at her, exhaustion, anxiety and doubt reflected in his eyes. He wondered if it'll be alright to actually share to her his personal dilemmas when they barely knew each other. Boyoung on the other hand, knew he needed someone to talk to and she's more than willing to listen. "Of course, Hyungsik-ssi. I can tell that something's bothering you.. what is it?" She gave him a light nod encouraging him to speak. With that, he decided to just let it all out. "I'm just.. I don't know if all of these are going to be worth it.. If I'm worth it. I'm practically a nobody and here I am as your leading man. I mean, I am not confident noona. You deserve a better leading man and I'm sorry it has to be me. I was only known for my stint in Real Men before and only a number of people recognize me as an idol. My acting skills are not that great and I kept on thinking that I was too selfish for accepting this role and wanting to work with you when I'm not that established as an actor. I don't even know where I'll go after my contract ends.." Hyungsik barely managed to control the tears forming in his eyes.

He was never confident in himself but he was able to pull through as an idol with the help of s. But with the future of their group uncertain and his path to becoming an actor unclear, Hyungsik was simply lost. Yes, he has his fans who supports him but he also has haters who would always question his capability of lasting in his chosen field and he's starting to believe that they're right.

Boyoung didn't expect Hyungsik to bottle up such emotions for he always appeared to be jolly and full of life. For her, it's surprising that he thinks that way when he's definitely talented both as an idol and as an actor. In fact, in her opinion he's one of the best idol-turned-actor out there. But she completely understands where he is coming from because she once felt the same way. Being in the industry for almost a decade, she's been through a roller coaster ride of emotions. Her love and passion for her work are the only thing that kept her from leaving everything behind to enjoy freedom and live a life away from the prying eyes of the public. She can only imagine what Hyungsik's going through at the moment and as his sunbae, she knew it is now her turn to give him some words of encouragement.

"Hyungsik ah, look at me." she reached out to touch his clasped hands. He reluctantly looked at her. "I know you're scared and lost right now but you are not alone in this. Don't pressure yourself. PD Lee, Writer Kim and I are here.. We'll guide you okay? Just.. let go.. Be yourself and enjoy what you're doing. You've been through a lot already so you just can't give up that easily. Arasso?" she smiled at him as she held his hand. She has that certain charm and Hyungsik just couldn't resist but to smile back at her. He was visibly touched by what she just said. He felt that familiar warmth in his heart. Just like how he felt when his hyungs invited him to join them for lunch when he transferred agencies as a trainee back then. He needed to let it all out and he's glad that he was able to talk to her and that she listened to him.

"Mianhe noona, I'm not usually like this... I just don't want to cause you and the production any trouble." Boyoung playfully messed up his hair. "Aish, stop apologizing. You didn't do anything wrong. I'm glad that you were honest with me, I appreciate that. We'll get through this okay? I trust you." She smiled as she pats his hand. "I'm glad I accepted this drama, what they say is true.. You truly are a goddess noona." Hyungsik grinned back at her as Boyoung shook her head and laughed. "Aigoo.. such a cheesy guy you are. Stop that it gives the chills! Aiyoo."

 

The two continued their conversation and got to know more about each other until they were interrupted by a staff to inform them that they will now proceed to the restaurant. The dinner didn't last long but the cast members were able to bond for a little while before they all part ways. Hyungsik walked Boyoung to her car thanking her for the nth time that day. After a brief exchange of goodbye's, Boyoung left first as Hyungsik watched her car leave until it disappeared from his sight. "Hyungsik ah, let's go." He heard Minki call him and he walked over to where he was with a huge smile on his face. "Seo Joon hyung was right, I am one lucky guy." He thought to himself.