Heartache

Heartache
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mina would smile and Chaeyoung could feel her heart lift in her chest. The simple gesture, which was rare from such a quiet and solemn girl, always gave Chaeyoung a little bit more hope even on a bad day. Chaeyoung loved to see the soft, gentle woman shuffling her way over with a shy grin and an eye-smile that could steal the heart of anyone. 

The two had met at Seoul's Paramedic Academy. The taller woman first intimidated Chaeyoung until she realized how sweet and kind Mina was. They became almost inseparable and were assigned to the same ambulance crew. 

Chaeyoung didn't realize how much she loved Mina. She adored her. The round pink lips, the sparkling eyes, and fair skin. She was gorgeous. Her favorite partner. The two could attack any paramedic call effectively and efficiently.

Chaeyoung always had confidence when working with Mina. The quiet woman would turn a 360 in personality when working; she became bold, powerful, and capable. She could diagnose almost anything just by the symptoms. 

On days off, Mina would occasionally ask her out for coffee or tea, or to read books at the bookstores which Chaeyoung loved. They'd spend amiable afternoons enjoying each other's company. They'd watch a scary movie together, screaming in each other's arms, or laughing at their own silliness. It always made Chaeyoung feel safe. 

Mina sometimes would bring over a pot of homemade stew, or a loaf of bread and they'd eat, indulged in peaceful conversation. When Chaeyoung caught the flu, Mina made her bowls of rice porridge with ginseng, endless cups of green tea and lemon, and made sure she got healthy quickly.

But Chaeyoung only thought her admiration was friendly.

She didn't realize she was in love with her best friend.

She didn't realize it until it was too late. 

There was a car crash. A major one. The ambulance that Mina and Chaeyoung worked in collided with a drunk driver. Chaeyoung emerged from it barely clinging to life. Her left side was completely paralyzed, and the doctors had to reconstruct her nose and ear. Her mother said she didn't even recognize her own daughter. She was on life-support for nearly 3 days before regaining consciousness. But when she awoke, she wished she hadn't.The world was black and white, dull and painful... and silent. She had lost her hearing.

Where was Mina? She asked everyone who passed by; their faces were indifferent. They kept silent, they didn't say anything. The questions warbled uselessly in her ear

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter