Chapter 2

Disturbia

Stardom is a funny thing.

Shiny and glamorous as it stands above the fray of pedestalled dreams. Teasing and taunting always trailing a few steps ahead. Out of reach but never out of sight and this; Junmyeon knows all too well.

Junmyeon is a meticulous man. Calculating and careful, a kind of creature of habit. He figures that the initial push to fame was good but a continued success is what will bring him closer to stardom. He didn’t sacrifice these many years just to be shelved as a one-hit-wonder, so, he plans and plots.

Preening and pretending, partaking in the pseudo executive meetings so he can prepare and push the others. Unlike the managers that are drilled with an industry standard, he has a first-hand experience of what gets people talking about them. What grabs attentions and what keeps them headliners. It’s far from the textbook manoeuvres that the managers try to urge but his confidence and knowledge are backed by experience and a keen eye.

He has bore witness to the unification of the groups. Unlike the beginning, their chemistries have mixed and matched and they’re more comfortable around each other. He witnesses friendships forming, cliques conjoining and now, the perforated partition is no longer so evident.

He notes the familiarity of Chanyeol and Baekhyun. Its unnerving but he knows what it does to the screaming hordes outside. It makes mouths water, ears ring and people talk.

He studies the closeness of Minseok and Luhan, their unnatural bond making his hairs stand on end. If he were anyone else, he wouldn’t read too much into it but he isn’t just anyone else. He knows the dirty little things people say, the disgusting little questions they think but never utter. He knows that their army of so called supporters rise at the sound of a million delicate fingers tap-tap-tapping away; writing sordid little details, derailed from reality with delusions they’ve conjured up.

He ought not demonise the things that distresses those fans. It’s what he’s banking on, in fact.

He watches as Jongin trails off after an undeterred Kyungsoo., determined to create a companionship with the deft little boy. Oh how the irony rings loud, considering Jongin was the one who called the boy weird in the first place.

 

They’re all dressed now; a new shoot to get to. Exo Showtime!

He has a script of sorts to follow but it’s his first attempt at an MC. He’ll make the most of it but it doesn’t distract from the fact that his thoughts wander and linger on how best to execute his plans.

 

He needn’t have worried. It almost comes naturally. He falls whimsically into routine and one thing leads to the other. He tries to stand firm but nobody is listening to his high command until a pillar of support comes his way. A silent presence dulling the children’s rebellion and he shoot Kris a grateful look which he trades for a lop-sided grin and a half-nod.

 

Junmyeon knows that it’s been captured on camera. It’s a touching scene and decency demands its broadcast so he doesn’t worry and continues his coy casting. He played the damsel and the whiney girlfriend to a clueless boyfriend and he knows it’s gold. His meal ticket is will be the man with giant hands.

 

 

 

He just never banked on stepping too far over the edge.