Chapter 4

The Loudest Silence

“Wah, Eun-ah. You look like a princess, so pretty!” Sehun complimented.

Both the Byuns and Ohs always went on a vacation to Jeju at least once a year and this year was no different. They were going to have a picnic on the beach today. Eunhee was just in a white summer dress, with yellow printed flowers designing the clothing. It was simple, but to Sehun, she looked the prettiest on that day.

Little Eunhee blushed and tried to play it off like usual, “What are you talking about? I look normal,” she ran off to join her family on the beach.

“Oppa!” she called her brother, gaining his attention from the ball he was playing with, smiling brightly, “Let’s build a sandcastle!”

“Does my pretty sister want to build a sandcastle?” he caressed his sister’s hair with a gentle smile. When Eunhee nodded, Baekhyun said, “Alright, then. Let’s go!”

“What are you doing?” Sehun asked when he approached the siblings who were playing with the sand.

“We’re building a sandcastle. Want to join?” Eunhee offered and the boy joined them immediately.

“When I grow up, I want to live in this castle with you,” Sehun said in the middle of building, looking at the younger girl.

“What about me?” Baekhyun asked, faking a pout.

“You should build another castle, hyung. Don’t you have a girlfriend you want to live with?” Sehun asked the older male.

“What’s a girlfriend?” Eunhee asked, clueless.

“A girlfriend is a girl you want to marry,” explained Baekhyun.

“Then who’s my girlfriend?” the girl asked again.

“Since you’re a girl, you have to marry a boy. So for you, it’s boyfriend, not girlfriend,” her brother taught.

Sehun hummed, nodding to what Baekhyun said, “Your boyfriend is me. And you’re my girlfriend.”

“Then does that mean you want to marry Eunhee, Sehun?” Sehun’s grandfather asked him when he heard the conversation.

“Why?” Eunhee’s grandfather asked when Sehun nodded.

“Eunhee is pretty, like a princess. She’s also nice. She always helped me with my homeworks,” Sehun answered without noticing Eunhee’s blush.

Byunghun laughed, amused by what the little boy said, “Will you take care of her when you get married then?”

“Of course!”

--

Eunhee opened her eyes and was immediately greeted with sunlight. She rolled over to her side blocking the light and smiled at the dream she just had. After their reunion, the mothers had shown them a lot of pictures from their childhood and Eunhee is slowly starting to remember the fond memories. And it never failed to bring a smile to Eunhee’s face.

Reaching over to her bedside table, she took her phone to see that it was almost eight in the morning, which means she needed to prepare her and Sehun’s breakfast.  It has been four months since they moved in together to their own house and two months since their marriage. It was Sehun’s parents who had given the house to them saying that they needed to have their own place to build their own family. No one knew about Sehun’s relationship except for her and Sehun’s best friend, not even Yeonjoo. They had agreed to keep it a secret until Sehun is ready to tell his parents about it.

Leaving her room, she went to knock on Sehun’s door across from her own room to wake him up. In the four months they’ve lived together, Eunhee had found out that Sehun is a heavy sleeper so she opened the door to his room and walked to his bed where his figure is sleeping soundly.

“Sehun,” she called, sitting on the bed next to his body, “Sehun, wake up.”

Hearing no response, Eunhee moved to shake his body, “Oh Sehun, you’re going to be late for work.”

Sehun groaned cutely, “What time is it?”

“Almost eight,” Eunhee answered, the side of her lips pulled upwards, smiling at the childish behavior of the twenty four year old man.

“Hmm. Okay. Five more minutes.”

Sehun’s phone beeped from his bedside table, indicating a new text message. Eunhee leaned over to see who it was from, “Jiyeon texted.”

At the mention of his girlfriend’s name, Sehun jumped out of his sleepy state and immediately sat up, and took hold of his phone. Eunhee knew that’s how Sehun would react but she still can’t help but feel like someone had just punched her in the stomach. She just felt so unimportant compared to Jiyeon.

Eunhee sighed, shaking her head to hide her feelings from Sehun, “Tsk tsk. I’ll prepare breakfast.”

“Hmm,” Sehun hummed without looking up from his phone.

Eunhee stared at her husband’s happy face for a few seconds without Sehun noticing and eventually stood up and left his room. Jiyeon was really Sehun’s source of happiness. She had met her before the engagement ceremony and she was not what Eunhee had expected. She thought Jiyeon was an uptight girl who would’ve hated her guts for marrying Sehun, but she was nice. Jiyeon is a year younger than she is and was in her last year of university. She’s a really bubbly and innocent girl. Eunhee could see why Sehun had fallen for her.

Sehun walked in to the kitchen and had made himself comfortable in his seat at the table by the time Eunhee was done preparing everything. He was in his work suit but his hair was still slightly wet and his tie was nowhere to be found.

“Do you want me to send you to work today?” he asked her after sipping on his coffee.

“It’s fine. Don’t you have any plans with Jiyeon today?” she asked, referring to Jiyeon’s message she had seen earlier.

From: Baby <3

goodmorning! can we get lunch together later? I miss you L

7:47 AM

“Yeah,” Sehun admitted sheepishly, “But I can still drive you.”

Eunhee rolled her eyes playfully, hiding her jealousy, “Forget it. Just enjoy your time with Jiyeon. Send my regards to her.”

They knew it was dangerous to have Sehun and Jiyeon go out in public together. But Eunhee thought that going out together only this once won’t hurt anyone. They just needed to be careful.

After breakfast, Eunhee left to her room to get ready and when she was done, she knocked on Sehun’s door for the second time that morning because she knew he’d be in there.

“Yeah?” Sehun asked from inside.

Opening the door, Eunhee peeked her head into the room, “I’m leaving.”

“Oh, really? Okay, drive safe,” Sehun said, looking at the mirror, trying to fix his tie with a scowl.

Seeing his distraught expression, Eunhee asked, “You need help with that?”

Sehun looked at her helplessly, “Can you? I’ve been trying to fix it for ten minutes. I usually can do this, I don’t know why it’s so hard today.”

“Yeah, Sehun, okay,” Eunhee walked towards him, teasing him for giving excuses, “You’re such a baby.”

“I’m not,” he defended himself, with a hint of pout on his lips, “I’m a man. Jiyeon’s man.”

That hurts. Eunhee thought, the playfulness inside her immediately disappeared. She said nothing to that, only focusing on trying to fix his tie.

“Done,” she forced a smile and proceeded to fix Sehun’s collar and brush away the wrinkles on the shoulder part of the dress by patting his shoulder. When she looked to Sehun’s face, he was already staring at her with a serious face.

After a few seconds of staring into each other’s eyes, Eunhee was the first one to look away and clear , “Okay. I’m really leaving.”

Sehun sighed after Eunhee left the room, cursing himself. What the was that, Oh Sehun?

--

“Good Morning, Mrs Oh,” her secretary greeted her when she exited the elevator. Hearing ‘Mrs Oh’ was still weird for her. At first she thought she wouldn’t be able to get used to it, but as time goes by, it’s starting to hurt. She was called Mrs Oh because she was the wife of Oh Sehun, because they were connected to each other by marriage. A marriage that people thought was so lovely because they were ‘childhood best friends’. But they didn’t know the truth.

“Morning, Ms Go,” she returned the greetings with a smile.

“What’s my agenda for today?” she asked Ms Go once she was seated in her office.

“Firstly, you still need to give a response to the proposal given by Joy Enterprise. You have a meeting at eleven with the Finance Section, by three o’clock you need to email Do Franchise and Lee Corporation about the details of the opening of our new hotel. At four, you have a dress fitting to do and then you’re pretty much done for the day,” Ms Go explained.

“Dress fitting?” Eunhee asked, confused as to why she had dress fitting scheduled for the day, “What’s that for?”

Ms Go looked down to the iPad for the details, “Yes. You told me to book an appointment with La Boutique to get a dress for the opening of the hotel.”

“Ah, you’re right. Do I have any lunch meeting scheduled with anyone today?” she asked again.

“Nope. You’re free for lunch and dinner today,” the secretary answered with a smile, “Why? Do you have a date?”

“No,” Eunhee forced a laugh, “I was planning to visit my nephew today during lunch.”

“Ah. Little Jisoo. Do you want me to arrange for a driver to take you?”

“That’s fine. I’ll drive myself,” Eunhee smiled again, “Thank you, Ms Go. I don’t know what I’ll do without you.”

“Don’t mention it, Mrs Oh. It’s my job. I’ll leave you to work then,” she bowed and left.

Date? What date? He already has his own date. Eunhee thought bitterly.

--

“Long day, sis?” Baekhyun asked when he opened the door to his house, “Come in, Haeun cooked dinner.”

Eunhee groaned, a bit relieved that Baekhyun didn’t ask for Sehun, “I’m really tired.”

By lunch time that day, Eunhee still had a lot of work to do so she ended up staying in her office until it was time to go to the dress fitting appointment and it was almost six when she was done.

“Where’s my baby boy?” Eunhee looked for her nephew with a different kind of smile on her face.

“He’s in the living room,” Baekhyun told her and Eunhee immediately walked to the said room.

“Jisoo-yah!” she danced her way to her seven month old nephew who was playing by himself in his crib, “Auntie misses you!”

“Oh, Eunhee, you’re here,” said Haeun who just entered the living room, dressed in comfortable clothes.

“Yeah, I just arrived,” she smiled to her sister-in-law.

“Dinner’s ready, come,” Haeun invited her to the kitchen.

Picking Jisoo up from his crib, she followed Haeun to the kitchen, talking to Jisoo in baby language, “Have my Jisoo eaten? Are you hungry?”

“Sit down and eat, Eun,” Baekhyun ordered, taking Jisoo from her and passing his son to his wife.

“Thanks for the food,” Eunhee thanked and started digging in.

In the middle of dinner, Baekhyun had asked her about the preparation for the opening of their new hotel, making conversation with Haeun occasionally joining the talk while feeding herself and Jisoo.

Eunhee stayed longer after dinner to spend time with her brother and sister-in-law and of course Jisoo as it has been a while since she last saw the two. She was always excited to see her nephew. The kid never failed to make her smile. But when she got back home, she was greeted by Jiyeon who was cooking dinner in their kitchen.

“Unnie, you’re home. I cooked dinner, do you want to join us?” she smiled while placing the food on the table.

“It’s fine. You enjoy dinner with Sehun. I’ve already had dinner,” she rejected with a smile.

“Ah, really?” she wondered, a bit disappointed.

“Sehun didn’t tell me you were coming over. I could’ve come home earlier and help you cook,” Eunhee told her, trying hard to hide her bitterness and continued without waiting for her response, “I’ll head upstairs, okay? Had a tiring day today. Enjoy the night.”

When she turned to head for the stairs, though, her smile dropped and she walked up the stairs with a blank face. Jiyeon had made the house like it’s her own to the point that Eunhee felt bad to join their hangout. She felt like an intruder in her own home. But she couldn’t do anything about it because she was the one who suggested the place for them to spend time together, because it was risky for them to hang out in public and because she wasn’t that mean to break the two apart. But it was also her who feels like someone just slapped her on the face, like someone just tore her heart into two.

“Eun, where were you?” a voice asked as Eunhee was about to open her bedroom door.

She turned around to look at the man who just came out of his own room, “I was at Baekhyun’s, visiting Jisoo.”

“Ah,” Sehun nodded but asked again, “Did you have dinner yet?”

“I did,” Eunhee sent him a small smile which would’ve went unnoticed if one didn’t look properly, “Go on. Jiyeon’s waiting for you.”

“Are you okay?” Sehun hesitated when he sees Eunhee’s emotionless face.

“Just tired. I’ll head to bed first,” Eunhee turned to enter her room without waiting for Sehun’s response.

After she closed the door, Eunhee leaned her back to the door and sighed, dropping all acts and slid down to the floor, clutching her chest where her heart is.

Why does it hurt so much? She thought while the first tear dropped.

--

“Babe, you okay?” Jiyeon asked her boyfriend when she sees him entering the kitchen with a confused face, “I was just about to call you down.”

Hearing no response, she called again, “Sehun!”

Sehun snapped back to reality and sees Jiyeon in front of him, “Huh?”

“I said, are you okay?”

“Y-yeah, I’m okay,” he forced a smile, trying to hide his worries from Jiyeon, “So, what’s for dinner?”

--

“I’ll drive you to work today,” Sehun said as he entered the kitchen the next morning.

Eunhee did what she always do every morning. She woke up, washed up, got dressed for work and then went to Sehun’s room to wake him up. The only difference was that Sehun was already awake by the time she came in. She shrugged it off and went to the kitchen to prepare breakfast as usual.

“You’re awake?” Eunhee asked surprised as she saw Sehun already sitting up in his bed, still in his pajama. He didn’t look good.

“I couldn’t sleep,” her husband simply said.

“Oh, alright. I’ll make breakfast. Come down when you’re done.”

“I’ll just drive. It’s fine,” she rejected again, like she always did.

“I insist, Eunhee,” Sehun looked her in the eye and she stared back.

“No dates planned today?” she asked, eyebrows raised as if not liking the idea of Sehun going on dates with Jiyeon.

It can’t be, he thought to himself before answering his wife, “None.”

Eunhee sighed, defeated, “Fine.”

“Are you pissed at me?” Sehun blurted out.

“About what?” she asked him, furrowing her brows, a bit annoyed at the guy.

“I don’t know. Maybe about me and Jiyeon?” he shrugged. He noticed her emotionless face last night and she’s being a bit cold that morning and he didn’t feel good about it.

“Why would I?” Eunhee asked him, immediately changing her expression to a confused one as she realized her cold behavior and realized that Sehun might have noticed it too.

“Right. Why would she?” he asked himself, scratching the back of his head, and said to Eunhee, “It’s nothing. Sorry. I’m not in my right mind.”

“Are you sure you’re okay to go to work? You look like a zombie,” Eunhee gave him a look, trying to joke and lighten up the atmosphere.

“I’ll be fine,” Sehun assured her, smiling a bit at her attempt.

“I’ll pick you up later. Wait for me, okay?” Sehun told her as he dropped her off at the Byun’s headquarter.

“Drive safe, alright? Don’t eat fast food. It won’t help you think properly especially when you didn’t have a good night’s sleep last night,” Eunhee adviced with worry-filled eyes.

Sehun stared at her concerned face for a few seconds before smiling and nodding, “Thanks.”

“Have a good day,” she wished as she got off the car.

“You too,” Sehun replied.

When Sehun’s car drove off, once again, Eunhee’s fake smile dropped. Sighing, she walked in to the building but eventually had to force a smile on her face again when the employees greeted her on her way to the elevator. Eunhee realized her change; her personalities, her exterior and her feelings. She realized it all and she didn’t like it one bit.

Unfortunately for her, it was just the beginning.