Chapter 3

The Loudest Silence

“You can just say that they’ve been going out for a while, that’ll help the public digest the upcoming news of them being engaged, right?” Baekhyun suggested after the dinner they had with the Oh’s family.

“That’s a good excuse,” Sehun’s father nodded in agreement.

Youngjun nodded also agreeing, “I was planning on announcing it at our company’s 50th anniversary party next month, so that could work.”

Turning to look at the two young people in the living room, who sat on two different couches facing each other, the oldest Byun looked at them back and forth and asked, “So, when do you want your wedding to be?”

Sehun cleared his throat from beside his mother, “We actually haven’t talked about that yet.”

“What about after Haeun unnie gave birth?” Eunhee suggested, “I mean, she’s pregnant now, so it wouldn’t be good for the baby if she’s going to stress about it, right?”

“What are you saying? I will be fine, I’m not the one getting married,” Haeun looked at her amused.

“I, for once, agree with my sister,” Baekhyun interrupted when their father was about to say something, turning to his wife, “It’s not good for the baby.”

“I agree with Eunhee. It’ll be stressful to help with the preparations,” Eunhee’s mom agreed, “Your sister will give birth around February. So when do you want it to be?” her mother asked.

“What about 31st October?” Sehun suggested, looking at Eunhee to see if she agrees.

Eunhee nodded, “31st October’s a perfect date. It’s not going to be hot and not too cold either.”

“But isn’t that too far away? That’s like 16 months from now,” her father asked again, quite disagreeing on the date chosen.

“We’re not in a rush,” Eunhee said, giving an excuse to have the wedding as far away as possible, “We can do the engagement this year. Wedding will be next year. That wouldn’t make people suspicious.”

“Suspicious? Eun-ah, are we planning a murder here?” Baekhyun teased his sister who rolled her eyes at him, making everyone in the room chuckle at her annoyance.

“Shut up,” she grumbled and muttered under her breath, “You’re basically planning the end of my life anyway.”

“Well, then, 31st October it is.”

“What about the engagement?” Sehun’s father brought up.                                        

“August?” Sehun’s mother suggested and Eunhee’s mother nodded, agreeing.

“31st August?” Eunhee looked at Sehun to see if he objects, but he just shrugged, giving her a green light.

“What’s it with you guys and 31st?” Baekhyun questioned, raising his eyebrow.

The sister shrugged, not really having a reason. If it’s going to be her only wedding, which she believes it is, she might as well participate in the planning, right? After all, a wedding is every woman’s dream.

And the night passes by like that, with everyone discussing about Eunhee and Sehun’s wedding.

--

When the anniversary party finally comes, the Byuns were busy getting ready in the Byun’s  mansion, including Baekhyun and Haeun. It was arranged that everyone will be leaving to the venue of the party from the Byun’s residence. The eldest couple will be leaving in a separate car and Baekhyun and Haeun will be leaving in another car. As for Eunhee, Sehun will be picking her up and they will leave together with his car.

It was Eunhee’s first time meeting Sehun after the talk last month as both of them were busy with their own lives, so she was a bit nervous. Though, she didn’t know what she was nervous for. Maybe it’s the fact that her father will be announcing their engagement that night. They had told the media about Sehun and Eunhee being childhood best friends and that they have been going out as a couple for a while, but the news about their engagement and marriage were still kept between them families and close friends. But tonight, the world will find out.

“Are you ready?” Haeun asked, peeking her head from Eunhee’s bedroom door.

Eunhee was staring at the mirror, looking at her own reflection from head to toe. She was wearing sleeveless, black laced, navy blue dress, paired with silver colored heels. Her hair was braided in a fishtail style to the left side of her head so her braided hair was resting on her left shoulder with a short curly strand hanging down from her right sideburn.

“Trust me, honey. You look gorgeous,” Haeun smiled, squeezing her shoulders, “Don’t be nervous.” Eunhee turned to face her sister with an anxious face, “Am I doing the right thing?”

Haeun’s smile softened, “Does it feel right?”

And Eunhee knew what the answer was. But it shouldn’t be. It shouldn’t feel right when she was about to hear her father announce her engagement to a man who is in a relationship with someone else. It’s not right.

“Eunhee, Sehun’s already downstairs,” her mother joined the two in the room.

"I'll wait downstairs. Baekhyun must've been looking for me," Haeun said before leaving.

Eunhee was about to head to the door with her purse when her mother stopped her.

“You forgot something.”

“I did?” she turned around to face the older woman, with her eyebrows raised in confusion.

Her mother was standing beside her vanity with a red box in her hand. The bracelet.

“Oh, right,” she walked towards her mother and holding out her wrist for her mother to clasp the bracelet on. She had unclasped the bracelet sometime last week as she went hiking with one of the Byun’s business partner and didn’t want to risk losing the bracelet. Being the vice-president of a company, it is normal for her to go on trips or do activities with their business partners. It was one of the ways to persuade each other, by showing their personality and patience, to fully trust each other’s company and make them feel comfortable and safe if they were to do business together. Doing business is hard. To Eunhee, it was as hard as being in a relationship or getting married. People need trust and patience in a relationship. And she’s already giving it all to her job, which explains why she never bothered to be in a relationship. Not that she wanted to anyway.

“And you’re ready to go,” she smiled after she was done fixing the bracelet on her daughter’s wrist.

“Thank you, mom,” Eunhee smiled.

Her mother smiled back, “Let’s go.”

Sehun, who was sitting on the couch, chatting with Baekhyun, made a double take when he saw Eunhee walked down the stairs. He stared at her for a few minutes before standing up and walked towards her, still in daze. He was only taken out of the state when Eunhee’s mother cleared , trying to hide her smile upon seeing his reaction.

“If everyone’s ready, then we should go,” she let go of Eunhee to walk to her husband.

“That’s right,” her husband agreed and started leaving the living room, arms hooked with his wife’s. Bakehyun and Haeun also left the room with Haeun smiling happily but Baekhyun looked worried.

“Um, you look beautiful,” Sehun cleared his throat.

Eunhee smiled at the compliment, her stomach fluttering slightly, “Thank you. You look fine yourself.”

Sehun rubbed the back of his neck, a thing he always do when he’s feeling shy or awkward. He was wearing a navy blue tuxedo, matching it with Eunhee’s dress, his black hair perfectly gelled up. Eunhee thought he looked really good even without having to do much.

“Let’s go then,” he offered his arm and Eunhee reluctantly hooked her arms with his, giving him a hesitant smile.

The party will be taking place at one of the hotel that the Byuns owned and it took only about fifteen to twenty minutes to reach the venue. Sehun was driving his own car, a black and elegant Mercedes Benz, as he politely rejected the offer to have a chauffeur drive them that night. When they arrived at the entrance of the hotel, which was already crowded with reporters and flashes were everywhere, Sehun got out and trusted one of the valet to handle the car. Eunhee also got out, with the help of one of the workers, who opened the door for her, and waited for Sehun. When he stood in front of her, offering his arm, she once again smiled and hooked her arm with his and walked along the red carpet, smiling to the cameras on the way in.

“Can you share the status of your current relationship?”

“Oh Sehun-ssi, look here please!”

“Byun Eunhee-ssi, is it true that Oh Sehun of Oh Enterprise is your boyfriend?”

“How long have you been together?”

The questions all asked at once.

Eunhee unconsciously squeezed Sehun’s arm at the pressure of the questions. Feeling the squeeze, Sehun looked at her with worry in his eyes. Eunhee’s smile was uncomfortable now.

“Are you okay?” he whispered in her ear, hoping she would be able to hear it amidst the noise.

And she did. She heard his voice which so weirdly calmed her insides, looked at him in the eye and gave him a more comfortable smile, nodding her head to tell him that she was okay.

When they were inside, they first walked to where their parents were conversing.

“Oh, you’re here,” Sehun’s father noticed.

“You look so beautiful, Eunhee,” his mother complimented, reaching out her hand to rub her arm.

“Thank you,” Eunhee bowed respectfully, “You look gorgeous in that purple dress as well, Mrs Oh.”

After making a conversation with the elders, Sehun and Eunhee was again greeted by a woman in a dress, who was smiling slyly at her, “So, is this the lucky guy?”

It was none other than Eunhee’s own best friend, Jung Yeonjoo.

Eunhee rolled her eyes at the question, “Do you really need to ask?”

“Of course she needed to! She was asking in my place,” Taehyung joined them, and turned to Sehun, “I see you’re lucky to have met my gorgeous best friend that I love with all my heart.”

“Tae,” Eunhee warned, glaring at the side of Taehyung’s head, already knowing that he will be telling Sehun nonsense things.

“Or not, really. Eunhee can be aggressive when she wants to. She broke my nose back in high school because I about ignoring and rejecting her admirers. So I’m not sure if you’re that lucky, dude,” Taehyung continued, ignoring the girl.

“I will break something more precious if you don’t stop that,” Eunhee grumbled, still glaring at the guy whose eyes widened at what she said.

“Alright! I was just joking!” he surrendered, protecting his male region.

“Which part of it was a joke?” Sehun asked, amused at our interactions.

“None of it, actually. I was telling you the truth,” Taehyung continued, and quickly hid behind Yeonjoo when he sees Eunhee taking a step towards him.

“Stop that already,” Yeonjoo warned him.

“Sehun, this is my best friend, Jung Yeonjoo and that ugly clown right there is Taehyung,” Eunhee introduced them, making a sour face when pointing at Taehyung, “And guys, this is Sehun. But I’m sure you know that already.”

“I’m Oh Sehun, it’s nice to meet you,” he smiled offering his hand.

When they were done shaking hands, Taehyung started again, “Ugly clown? Do you know how many girls are dying to have your place, Byun Eunhee?”

“That’s because she’s too pretty to be real,” a new voice joined them, “Not because of you, Taehyung. Don’t flatter yourself.”

“Hyung! You’re supposed to take my side!” Taehyung whined at his brother’s comment.

“Oppa,” Eunhee smiled and unhooked her arms from Sehun’s to greet the newcomer with a hug, “It’s been a while.”

Sehun unconsciously dropped his smile a little bit when watching the exchange between the two, the smile losing its sincerity, but recovered when Eunhee pulled away. He paid no attention to it, though.

“I know right? I haven’t seen you for two months and I found out you have a boyfriend now,” Seokjin teased, reminding her about Sehun, “And if there’s no articles about it, I probably wouldn’t have known.”

From the way he said it, it sounds like he doesn’t know the truth yet. She was guessing Taehyung haven’t told his brother about it.

“It’s your fault you were so busy to even have lunch with us, CEO Kim. Even we found out an hour before the article was released,” Yeonjoo rolled her eyes at the man, using his status instead of his name to remind him of his position and why he couldn’t make time for the group.

“Right, I was so busy with work, sorry,” he apologized sheepishly and turned to Sehun, “But, I know I will see you here. I’m Kim Seokjin, Eunhee’s favourite oppa.”

Sehun did what he usually does when someone introduced themselves to him. Smile, introduced himself, and offered his hand for a handshake.

“Excuse me, what was that? Favourite oppa?” Baekhyun came with Haeun next to him, “No wonder you and Taehyung are brothers. You’re both so full of yourselves. I’m her favourite oppa. Isn’t that right, Eunhee, baby girl?”

Eunhee rolled her eyes and let out an annoyed breath at the guys, “What is it with the men I associated myself with? Are all of them really this cocky?”

Sehun chuckled, amused at her reaction to the males, “Not me.”

“Then I thank god for letting me have at least one sane man in my life.”

“Haeunnie,” Seokjin stepped forward to hug his cousin, “You’re glowing. Something’s up?”

Taehyung snorted, “You were so busy that you weren’t there when she told us that she’s pregnant.”

“Really?! Did I hear that right? You’re pregnant?!” Seokjin asked excitedly, “Congratulations!”

“Hyung, you better take a very good care of her or else I will murder you myself,” Seokjin playfully glared at Baekhyun.

“You don’t have to tell me,” Baekhyun shot back, raising his hand to hit Seokjin in this head, “This brat.”

Everyone laughed when the usually strict CEO whined, rubbing his head.

“Yeonjoo, where’s your brother?” Baekhyun looked at her expectantly, “He’s usually the one who’s making a lot of noises at parties.”

“You bet,” Yeonjoo snorted and then looked around to search for her brother, scanning the crowd with her eyes, “He’s somewhere here, but I don’t know where. Probably trying to impress his date of the night.”

Haeun giggled at that, “Which girl is it this time?”

“I don’t know. I think she’s a model? Of all girls, I hate her the most,” Yeonjoo shook her head.

“Why? The kind of girls Hoseok oppa dates are usually, actually, nice,” Eunhee questioned.

“Yah, don’t be fooled. People only show others what they want them to see. You’re so clueless I’m afraid you’ll be fooled by them one day,” Yeonjoo pouted with a frown.

“No matter how aggressive you are, you’re always trying to find the good in people. Never seeing who they truly are,” Taehyung sighed, shaking his head.

“Right,” Baekhyun muttered under his breath, looking at his little sister with worry-filled eyes.

“Well, kids, enjoy the night. I’m going around to greet some people,” Baekhyun said finally, leaving the group to themselves.

The night continued with them chatting, some leaving to greet their business partner and then returning to the group. Hoseok joined them at one point, his date by his side, before leaving again to mingle with others. And true to what Yeonjoo said earlier, this one was different from the girls Hoseok used to date before. She was surprised why his parents allowed him to bring a date like her, only to find out from Yeonjoo that their parents didn’t know anything about him bringing a date. By the conversation that Eunhee had with her friends, their employees as well as business partners, she actually forgot what was going to happen on that night until her father stood on the stage, clearing his throat to start talking.

Let’s just say the announcement completely, officially changed her life.