Chapter 2

The Loudest Silence

The morning after the dinner, Eunhee was still thinking about her grandfather’s promise, even though they made sure that the whole marriage thing will be cancelled. When they returned to the room and told them their decision, both Eunhee and Sehun were thankful that their parents understand and decided to just forget about the promise and let the two live their own lives.

It was Sunday, which means there will be no work for Eunhee but she still needs to prepare some things for the meeting that they postponed to Monday. Eunhee couldn’t get her mind on her work as she kept thinking about the promise. They cancelled the wedding so why was the uneasy feeling still there? Why did she feel worse about it?

Her thoughts were interrupted by a knock on her study room.

“Come in,” she hollered from her desk.

Her mother’s head peeked in to see what her daughter is doing, “Are you busy?”

“I was preparing for tomorrow’s meeting but I’m almost done already. Do you have anything to say, mom?”

And it reminded her to that night when her mother came to her room. No wonder she looked so troubled. It was the marriage she was thinking about.

“I have something for you,” her mother walked into a room and sat on the couch and patted on the empty space beside her, motioning that Eunhee should sit next to her.

Eunhee stood up and made her way to the couch, “What is it?”

Her mother handed her a red, small square box from Cartier with a smile, “It’s your grandfather’s gift. He told me to give it to you before he passed.”

“The gift in the letter?” she asked, taking the box from her mother.

Her mother shrugged, “I didn’t read the letter but I believe so.”

“I will be downstairs if you need anything,” her mother stood up and left the room to give Eunhee her privacy.

Inside the box was a neatly packed bracelet strapped around a small white cushion. It was a gold white chain bracelet with a single diamond star in the middle. Seeing the star made her tear up again.

“Did you know that you’re just like a star?” her grandfather asked when they sat under the night sky.

“A star? Why?” the twelve year old Eunhee asked him, confused as to why her grandfather said such thing.

“Because you shine the brightest when you stand among other people, and you still shine when you stand on your own.  I’m proud of that, Eunhee. You already know how to be independent at such a young age,” the old man smiled at his favourite and one and only granddaughter.

“What does independent mean?” she asked, confused.

“Independent means that you don’t need anyone to rely on. That makes you a strong person, because you only stand on and for your own,” he explained. “Grow up to be an independent and wise lady, okay, my little star?”

“Okay, grandfather,” the girl smiled brightly.

In the box was also a little note from her grandfather, which says: ‘A star for an independent and wise lady. I’m proud of you, little one.’

“I love it, grandfather,” she whispered to the air, talking about the last words written in her grandfather’s letter, “Thank you.”

After clasping the bracelet around her right wrist, Eunhee called Sehun, putting in his number from the business card he gave her last night.

“Eunhee, I was just about to call you,” Sehun stated as he picked up the call.

“Sehun, we need to talk.”

--

“Father,” Eunhee started during dinner.

“Do you have something to say, Eunhee?” her father asked when he sensed her hesitation.

Eunhee gathered her confidence and looked into his father’s eyes with determination, “I’ll do it.”

“Do what?” her mother asked, confusedly.

“The wedding. I’ll do it. I’ll get married to Sehun.”

Both her father and mother looked at her with wide eyes.

“A-are you sure, Eunhee?” her mother asked.

“What about Sehun?” her father questioned.

“We met this afternoon to talk about it. He agreed as well.”

--

“So, I’ve been thinking a lot,” Sehun started, sitting in a café they agreed to meet at.

“About what?” Eunhee asked, confused.

He hesitated, “About the wedding? It was their wish. The promise they made. Shouldn’t we just – don’t you think that we should – It doesn’t and it wouldn’t make sense but –.”

“I totally get you!” she quickly interrupted the stuttering man who looked like he was going to rip his own hair out, “I do. I mean, I’ve been thinking about it too. And it felt wrong if we don’t at least do that for them?”

The last sentence was more like a question to herself than a statement, because it really felt that way. She was confused as to why she had a change of heart now after she made it clear to their parents that they wouldn’t be getting married.  But she was actually glad that Sehun felt the same way.

“Yeah, exactly. After everything they’ve done for us, for everyone, it doesn’t feel right if we just ignored what they wanted,” Sehun explained, frustrated.

“What about your girlfriend?” she asked, watching him carefully and saw it in his eyes. That he’s breaking in the inside.

“I-I don’t know,” he sighed, rubbing and burying his face in both of his hands.

“Okay, look. You can still go out with your girlfriend, alright? I don’t know what we’ll be facing just yet, I don’t know what kind of future we have but I wouldn’t and would never want to ruin anybody’s happiness. Maybe just, don’t get caught?”Eunhee suggested, “She can even be the second wife if she wants, I don’t care but just – yeah, don’t get caught. God, I don’t know what I’m talking about.”

“Second wife? You’d go as far as that? I mean, you don’t mind?” Sehun asked, resting his face on the back of his hands, supported by his elbows.

“If she wants!” she defended, “If she doesn’t, then, I don’t know – I can’t do anything about that.”

“No. Actually, thanks,” Eunhee snapped her head to look at Sehun who was actually smiling, “I didn’t think you’d want to let that happen.”

Eunhee smiled back reluctantly, “You’re welcome. There’s nothing between us anyway, so I guess it’s fine if we go out with other people just as long as we don’t get caught.”

--

“What the hell, Byun Eunhee?” Baekhyun burst into her room while she was working on her laptop, his face furious but softened when he saw her jumped out of shock, “Why did you change your mind?”

Eunhee snapped her laptop shut and put it down on the bed, sitting up ready for a talk, “I don’t know. It felt like the right thing to do.”

“You know you don’t have to do this, Eun. You don’t have to force yourself. Just ignore what they said, whatever they promised was between them, you don’t have to drag yourself into it, angel,” Baekhyun sat next to her on the bed, caressing her hands.

“But it didn’t felt right to ignore, oppa. I felt guilty. Like I didn’t want to do just one thing that grandfather wanted after giving us his everything,” she woman argued, “I talked with Sehun already, he felt the same thing too. And he’s a really nice guy.”

“You – y-you’re not falling for him already, are you?” Baekhyun asked his sister cautiously, looking at her reaction and felt relieved when he saw her roll her eyes.

“The guy has a girlfriend. Plus, he’s not my type anyway.”

Baekhyun snorted and just like that the tension disappeared, “What is your type then? But are you kidding me? Girl, anyone would fall for Oh Sehun. The guy is hot as .”

Eunhee tilted her head backwards and her eyebrows were raised, looking at her brother like he grew another head, “Are you sure it’s not you who fell for him? You’re not gay, are you? Dude, you’re married!”

“Actually –,” Baekhyun started but was interrupted by his sister’s gasped.

“Oh my god, you are!” Eunhee said, covering with her eyes wide.

“I was going to say no because excuse me, my wife is three weeks pregnant and we just – Eunhee? Eun? Are you still there? Hello?” Baekhyun asked, waving his hand in front of his sisters shocked face.

And she was gone the moment he opened his eyes after a blink, running out of the room, squealing and shouting for their mother.

“MOM!” she called out for how many times already, searching for her mom in the main bedroom, the kitchen, the backyard. “MOM!”

“What? What? What is it?” Her mom ran out from the living room looking frantic, “Did someone die?”

Eunhee was about to spill the beans but when she saw another figure behind her mother, she squealed again and ran to hug the person, “Unnie! Congratulations!”

“Yah! Careful!” Baekhyun warned from the stairs he just walked down from.

“What’s the ruckus?” their father appeared behind Baekhyun on the stairs, “I heard screaming from my study room, so I went down?”

Eunhee pulled away from the hug and looked at her mother with a wide smile, “Did you know? That Haeun unnie is pregnant?”

Both her mother and father’s eyes widened and her mother asked with a smile, “Is that true?”

“Yes. We were going to tell you yesterday but we didn’t think it was a good time,” Haeun admitted sheepishly.

“How far are you?” their mother asked again, eyes filled with excitement.

“Three weeks,” Baekhyun answered smugly, walking towards his wife with a proud smile, sneaking an arm around his wife’s waist.

“Oh god, we should celebrate!” Eunhee suggested, “So dinner tomorrow?”

“That’s a good idea, actually,” their father agreed.

“Absolutely, I’ll cook the most delicious dishes tomorrow,” the oldest woman in the room squealed, “Oh, and Eunhee, dear, invite Sehun to the dinner tomorrow, alright?”

Eunhee’s smile dropped immediately, “What? Why?”

“He’s going to be a part of our family, isn’t he?”

“Oh. Yeah. Right. I will,” Eunhee gave a tight smile and when her parents left the room she turned to her brother, “Tell me why I suggested the dinner again?”

“Because you wanted to celebrate the coming of your favourite nephew to the family,” Baeekhyun smirked at her, teasing her for falling to her own idea, “or niece. Good luck, by the way.”

“What a stupid excuse of a brother,” Eunhee groaned under her breath, “I can’t even get a little help from him.”

“What was that?” Baekhyun looked at her, eyes still teasing.

"I said you're the best brother in the world and I'm so lucky to be your sister," she said sarcastically, giving him a forced smile before leaving to go back to her room, continuing what she was doing before Baekhyun came.

--

“Y-you’re what?”

“Getting married,” Sehun repeated.

“Wh-What? Why? To whom?” Jiyeon, his two years girlfriend stuttered, clearly heartbroken about the news.

“It was arranged, baby. And my grandfather’s last wish. I couldn’t say no,” he begged.

“What about us?” Jiyeon looked at him questioningly.

“We can still be. I talked to the girl, she said she doesn’t mind as long as we don’t get caught. And we can even get married, but of course, that’ll have to wait a few years.”

“Get married to you as the second wife?”

“You don’t mind, do you?”

“I don’t but – ”

“Baby , I love you. Just trust me in this. I won’t fall for her, don’t worry,” Sehun assured her.

Jiyeon sighed, defeated, and lunched forward to hug him, “Alright, I trust you. And I love you too.”

--

“, what?” her best friend looked at her with horror, “You’ve got to be kidding me.”

“Do I look like I’m kidding, Yeonjoo?” Eunhee raised her brow.

“No, you’re not. Oh my god. Are you for real? Oh my god,” she started to squeal.

Eunhee rolled her eyes at her dramatic best friend, “Sometimes I thank god you’re not your brother.”

Eunhee and Yeonjoo have been best friends since elementary. She and her family moved houses and Yeonjoo got into the same elementary school as Eunhee shortly after Sehun moved. They’ve been inseparable ever since.

Yeonjoo came from a medical family. Her father is a doctor, her mother is too. She herself is a doctor as well as her brother. And now they were sitting in her office in their hospital.

“Oh, god. I’m not going to cry here in the hospital, let’s get something for lunch,” Yeonjoo said, taking off her coat and packing her stuff. Eunhee thought it was weird. Yeonjoo wouldn’t let something like this go.

“Should I call Hoseok too?” Eunhee asked her best friend, watching her carefully.

Yeonjoo shrugged, “If he’s free, why not? Plus you should tell him about the wedding too. And don’t think our conversation is over, missy. Oh, please call Taehyung too. This situation calls for an important meeting.”

Eunhee didn’t think the conversation was over anyway. If there’s one thing she knows, it’s that Yeonjoo wouldn’t stop until all this is over. Over as in, when she can accept the fact that her best friend is getting married.

“So, everyone, Eunhee here, has something to tell us,” Yeonjoo clapped her hands excitedly when everyone finished ordering their food. They had chosen a fancy restaurant to eat lunch at and according to Yeonjoo, the precious news must be delivered perfectly in a perfect moment and vibe.

“What is it, Eun?” Hoseok, Yeonjoo’s brother, asked Eunhee, who was busy glaring at Yeonjoo.

“Stop glaring at Yeonjoo and tell us already,” Taehyung urged.

“Is Seokjin going to be here?” Eunhee asked Taehyung, in an attempt to change the topic.

“No, he’s having lunch with one of his business partner. He told us to go on. And I know what you’re doing, Eun, don’t avoid the question,” Taehyung narrowed his eyes.

Eunhee groaned and looked at Yeonjoo helplessly.

“Go on,” Yeonjoo urged, still smiling brightly.

“I’m getting married,” she dropped the bomb.

The table was quiet with Eunhee and Yeonjoo watching the boys’ reaction. They just sat there, silently, looking at Eunhee with blank faces.

“Are you pregnant?” was Hoseok’s response.

“What the hell? No, I’m not!” Eunhee defended herself, “What kind of woman do you think I am?”

“But you don’t even have a boyfriend? Or do you? And you didn’t tell us? Who’s the guy? I’m going to have to investigate him,” Taehyung said, suddenly turning serious.

“Chill, Tae. I don’t have a boyfriend. It was arranged. By our grandfathers,” Eunhee explained.

“An arranged marriage? That still exist? What the ?” Taehyung freaked but soon he was whining as he got a slap on the back of his head.

“Do not swear in front of the food,” Hoseok warned.

“What? There’s no food ye – ,”

“Excuse me, sir,” a waitress came in time to serve our food, shutting Taehyung up.

“So, who is this guy you’re marrying? For real, though?” Hoseok asked after he finished his food. The topic was forgotten when the food came and they were just talking about the usual stuff during the whole lunch; the stocks, Taehyung’s gossips, the patients, stuff like that. But now is interrogation time.

“Oh Sehun of the Oh Enterprise,” Yeonjoo answered for her.

“Are you serious?! Oh Sehun? You’re getting married to Oh Sehun? One of the youngest and richest CEO in Seoul?” Hoseok asked, shocked to hear who she was going to marry, while Taehyung took out his phone to start searching up on the guy.

"Damn, the guy's a real hottie," the three heard Taehyung whistled five seconds after Eunhee's revelation, looking at what they assumed to be Sehun's picture.He's fast. 

“Good going, idiot. Why don’t you go up to the middle of the room and tell everyone that Eunhee’s getting married to Sehun?” Yeonjoo glared at her brother, “Can’t you lower your voice before Sehun’s fangirls finds out and murder you?”

Hoseok looked around and sighed in relief when he sees the people around them were still minding their own business, meaning they didn’t hear what he just said, and then whispered, “Sorry, okay? I was shocked!”

“And you’re right,” Eunhee nodded, answering his previous question, “It’s that Sehun.”

“But why did you two agree to get married? Is there no way to avoid it? And I thought he has a girlfriend?” Hoseok shot his questions again, feeling restless.

“Oh my god, guys,” Taehyung gasped dramatically while looking at his phone before sliding the phone to Eunhee’s direction, “Look at this!”

“Holy shi – shrek!” Yeonjoo changed her words before Hoseok could scold her.

On the screen was a picture of Sehun and a girl sitting in a café. There were pictures of them talking, smiling to each other and leaving the place together. And no doubt Eunhee knows who the girl is. Everybody knows who she is. Scrolling back up to the top of the website, Eunhee read the headings.

BREAKING: Oh Sehun of Oh Enterprise caught going on a cozy date with Byun Eunhee of Byun Co. last Sunday! I can smell love in the air!

“Well, there’s no point of staying quiet now,” said Hoseok, shaking his head.

--

“Love in the air, my ,” Baekhyun snorted and then turned to his sister, “So what are we going to do about this?”

They were at the Byun’s mansion. Everyone of the Byun’s family was there. After discovering about the news article, Eunhee had gotten a call from her father to get back home as soon as possible. He wasn’t mad, no. He was far from mad. He was, in fact, very calm.

“That calls for another dinner, I guess,” her father suggested with a smile. He looks happy for some reason?

“Another dinner? But we just had dinner with Sehun last night,” Eunhee tried to argue.

“That was a dinner to celebrate your sister-in-law being pregnant,” Her father clearly won the argument. He stood up from his seat to leave the living room, “This time we’re going to talk about the two of you.”

“This time it’s the wedding talk,” her mother nodded, following behind her husband.

Eunhee groaned and buried her face in her hands, which were supported by her elbows on her knees.

“He’s going to be your husband, anyway,” Haeun patted her shoulder, sitting next to her, “You have to get used to seeing his face, honey. It was what you wanted, right?”

“How did you get used to seeing my brother's annoying face?” the younger woman tried to joke, “I can’t stand his face even though I’ve known him my whole life and I feel like throwing a brick to his face everytime he’s around.”

“Hey! Why is it about me now?" Baekhyun whined, "And, hello, I'm here okay?"

Sometimes, it was hard to believe that he's a twenty-six years old man, the serious one at work and now he's going to be a father too. How is it possible to have a child take care of his own child? Eunhee can only pray for the best for her sister-in-law's sanity.

When the two woman continued to ignore his presence, he sighed, defeated, "Oh, I feel so loved."