The Confession

Mina's Growing Up

Mina had been nervous for thousands of things in her life.

There was when she was auditioning to join Jellyfish.

Then there was when she was competing on Produce 101.

And there was also when she had first started high school.

But nothing had gotten to her quite as bad as what she was about to do.

After her talk with Nayoung a few nights ago, she had vowed that she would confess her feelings to Dayoung.

Mina was standing at her locker, about 2 minutes after the last bell, just watching Dayoung.

The other girl was also at her locker, putting away some textbooks.

And God, did she look gorgeous.

Mina turned away from Dayoung to look inside of her own locker.

Her brows furrowed as she looked at a box of chocolates with a card, which contained some particularly heartfelt words, tied to it.

She had been planning on giving them to Dayoung, and then running away, so that she didn't have to deal with the embarrassment of verbally confessing.

Mina knew that if she tried to actually tell Dayoung that she liked her, it would be a disaster.

But standing in the hall, seeing Dayoung and her beautiful self, made Mina want to march up to her and just kiss her then and there.

Although that would remove the awkwardness of actually having to confess, Mina realized that it wasn't exactly a good idea.

Suddenly a particularly loud group of students walked by, tearing Mina from her thoughts.

Damn.

It was time to actually do this.

Mina watched as various students made their way out of the school, and into the courtyard.

Dayoung still stood at her locker though.

Taking in an uneven breath, Mina grabbed the chocolate, slammed her locker shut, and turned to begin walking towards the other girl.

Before reaching her though, Dayoung turned, and noticed Mina coming towards her.

"Ah, Kang Mina~!"

Dayoung waved as she shut her own locker, a huge smile on her face.

The sound of Dayoung's voice echoed through Mina's ears, making her nerves rise yet again.

And just like that, her legs stopped working.

She stood about 15 feet away from Dayoung, completely still.

Her mind urged her to keep going, but she just couldn't.

She knew she looked ridiculous just standing in silence, once again staring at Dayoung, but she couldn't bring her feet to start moving again.

"Mina?" Dayoung lessened the space between them since Mina wouldn't, "Are you alright?"

She waved a hand in front of her friend's face and then began laughing.

Mina startled from her trance, her cheeks flushing a bright pink.

"Oh, um, yeah," Mina bowed quickly and shoved her hands out to her elder.

Dayoung quirked an eyebrow as she reached out to delicately run her fingertips over the box.

Mina remained hunched over in a bow, awkwardly waiting for Dayoung to take the gift.

"I, uh..I-Is this for me?"

Without standing back up yet, Mina nodded her head.

Dayoung scratched the back of her head as she gently took the candy from her friend.

"Ah, thank you."

Mina finally straightened her back to look at Dayoung.

The older girl began to open the card, but Mina quickly put her hand on top of it to stop her.

Dayoung tilted her head, throwing a questioning glance at Mina.

"Um," Mina slowly removed her hand from the note, "I...I think you should read it later."

Dayoung pursed her lips and nodded.

"Do you want to come over for a bit?" The older girl asked, her smile never faltering.

Mina bit her bottom lip, debating whether or not she should.

She knew she'd be in trouble with her unnies for going, but after weighing her options, she decided it was worth it.

"Yeah," she smiled, "Of course."

"Good."

And with that, Dayoung grabbed Mina's hand, tugging her out of the school.

-

“Okay, so here’s the rules,” Dayoung began.

The two girls were on their way back to WJSN’s dorm together, their hands intertwined and swinging between them.

“We have to come up with a word that starts with every letter of the alphabet. The first person who can’t think of a word has to,” she clicked her tongue, trying to think of a punishment, “Greet the next ten people to walk by.”

“Psh,” Mina rolled her eyes, “Easy.”

Dayoung tugged on Mina’s hand.

“But you have to greet them in an opera voice.”

The two girls immediately burst out laughing.

“You’re on.”

Dayoung started the game since it was her idea.

“A. Angel.”

Mina watched Dayoung’s lips curve up into a proud smile after her answer.

Just like you.

“B. Breathtaking.”

Also you.

“C,” Dayoung separated their hands, so she could lock arms with Mina.

She gave the younger girl’s soft bicep a small squeeze.

“Cuddly. Just like little baby Mina~.”

Just like that, the younger idol’s brain stopped working.

Why was Dayoung so damn cute all the time?

The way her eyes crinkled when she smiled.

The way her lips naturally pouted.

The way-

“You lose!”

Dayoung yanked her arm away from Mina and began excitedly bouncing around the sidewalk.

“Wait,” Mina said, her face riddled with confusion, “I didn’t get a chance to answer.”

The shorter girl stuck her tongue out.

“You had plenty of time, you sore loser.”

Mina began her perfected aegyo sulking routine.

“Yah,” Dayoung returned her hand to Mina’s as they continued walking, “Fine. You get one more chance.”

Deciding to attempt to be charming, Mina smiled.

“D. Dayoung.”

The words rolled delicately off her tongue.

“Pfft,” Dayoung broke into a fit of laughter, “That’s a name, not a word. It doesn’t count. I win!”

So much for being smooth.

And thus continued Mina’s awkward trip to the Starship dorm, in which she was forced to practically destroy her image.

-

The girls sat cross-legged on the floor of Dayoung’s dorm room.

They had simply been wasting away the evening, talking about everything from their favorites of the latest comebacks to which school subjects they found most difficult.

“Can I open this now?”

Their conversation came to a halt as Mina eyed the card she had written in Dayoung’s hand.

“Not,” Mina paused as she shook her head, “Not now.”

Dayoung dramatically threw herself back onto the floor.

“Ugh, then when? What was the point of you giving it to me if I’ll never be able to open it?”

The younger girl couldn’t hold back the giggles that escaped her lips.

The sight of her elder being such a baby was too funny.

She in a harsh breath.

“Okay…You can open it.”

Dayoung stopped her fit, looking into Mina’s eyes from her place on the floor.

“Really?” She sat up quickly, “Are you sure? I was just playing around. I don’t have to if-”

“No, go ahead.”

Mina smiled softly, nodding her head towards the card, which was still attached to the now empty chocolate box.

Dayoung returned her smile with one even brighter, and Mina’s heart melted.

Well, it would have, had it not been beating a million miles a second in her chest.

She sat in silence, watching Dayoung’s eyes move back and forth across the paper.

Mina hadn’t exactly planned on being with her crush when she read the note, but now that she was this far, there was no going back.

When she got to the end of the page, the older girl inhaled a shaky breath.

Her eyes didn’t leave the card as she began to speak.

“Mina,” her voice was barely louder than a whisper, which made the other idol insanely nervous, “You wrote this?”

“Well, I used Google to spell check some things, but I mean other than that,” she chuckled nervously, “Yeah.”

The lighter haired girl began chewing on her bottom lip as she folded the card shut.

She hummed quietly, but said nothing.

Minutes passed by, or was it hours.

Mina couldn’t tell.

The temperature in the room suddenly seemed to spike drastically.

Mina felt like she was going to pass out.

Why wasn’t Dayoung saying anything?!

“Please,” Mina pressed her hands roughly into the carpet, her knuckles going white, “Say something…Anything.”

“I didn’t know you felt like this. I,” she stopped herself, shaking her head as she set the card on the floor beside her.

“Dayoung,” Mina stood from her place on the ground, bowing sadly, “I’m going to go. You don’t have to say anything else.”

The darker haired singer began to walk towards the bedroom door when she suddenly felt a soft hand wrapped around her wrist.

She stopped in her tracks, refusing to turn to face her friend.

“I like you, too.”

Dayoung’s tone was soft.

Pure.

Mina still couldn’t bring herself to turn around.

She knew the words couldn’t be real.

There was no way her Dayomi could mean that.

“Hey,” Dayoung gave the younger girl’s wrist a gentle tug, “I’m your unnie. Face me when I’m speaking to you.”

Taking as much time as humanly possible, Mina turned to look towards Dayoung.

Their eyes immediately found each other.

Mina swears she’s never seen Dayoung be so calm.

“I’m sorry if I worried you before,” the older girl lifted her hand to brush gently against Mina’s cheek.

The Kang daughter flinched at the touch.

“I just…I didn’t know what to say. I didn’t know how to say it.”

Mina let out a breath that she hadn’t known she was holding in.

“Pabo, you scared me~.”

Not knowing how else to respond, she reverted to something she knew well.

Something that made her feel safe.

Aegyo.

Both girls let out a few nervous laughs.

“I uh…”

Dayoung returned to silence, instead wrapping her arms around Mina’s neck and pulling her in for a hug.

The younger singer relished in the warmth radiating off of her friend.

They had hugged many times before, but this one was oh so different.

It meant so much more.

Mina could feel Dayoung’s heartbeat faintly against her own chest.

Pressing her head softly into the crook of the smaller girl’s neck, Mina began.

“Do you think we could maybe do something together sometime? Like not a friend thing. Like maybe dinner or, you know, something.”

Dayoung chuckled, feeling the heat of Mina’s nervous ramblings against her neck.

She squeezed Mina tighter as she whispered.

“Kang Mina, are you asking me on a date?”

“Um,” she stood back up to once again meet Dayoung’s gaze, “Yes?”

The light haired singer smiled that perfect, perfect smile of hers.

“I’d love to go out with you sometime.”

She leaned in, pressing a small kiss to Mina’s cheek.

It was nothing more than a peck, but her lips lingered gently against Mina’s skin.

“Ah, look at baby Dayomi!”

Startled, both girls hastily turned to face the dorm-room door.

Standing in the doorway was Seola and Exy.

“I can’t believe you finally confessed,” Exy walked up to Mina, wrapping an arm around her shoulder, “We just had a long, I mean long, talk with her about you. She had been going on and on about how much she liked you, and-”

Eunseo abruptly appeared behind Seola, who was still standing in the doorway.

“The members got tired of hearing her pine after you, so we tried to get her to confess.”

“Guess it finally worked,” one of the other members, Mina believes it was Yeoreum, shouted from one of the other bedrooms.

At this point, both girls’ faces were a bright crimson.

“Unnies~,” Dayoung whined, “Leave me alone.”

“Ah, right. You probably want some alone time,” Seola winked at the pair before grabbing Exy’s arm and quickly yanking her out of the room, the door shutting behind them.

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be,” Mina reached out to take Dayoung’s hands in her own, “I’m used to it. My unnies are like embarrassing moms, too.”

She smiled as she continued, her eyes never leaving their linked hands.

“Actually, Nayoung Unnie had a very similar conversation with me a few nights ago. It’s what made me finally have the courage to write you that note.”

Dayoung smiled down at their hands as well.

They sat like that for a while, a comfortable silence surrounding them, until Dayoung began again.

“It’s getting late, and I’m sure your members are worried about you. Maybe we should continue this tomorrow.”

 Mina nodded, brushing her thumb softly against the back of Dayoung’s hand.

“Can I walk you home?”

The younger idol tugged Dayoung into her for another embrace.

“Of course.”

-

A/N: Ah, sorry. I know this could have been better. I tried my best though, so I hope you enjoyed it :)