The Crush

Mina's Growing Up

Mina sat down on her bed, fiddling with the edge of her blanket as she pulled it over her legs.

Nayoung stood in the doorway watching Mina, and making sure that she actually went to bed.

“Goodnight,” Nayoung said as she reached for the light switch, “Try to get some rest for school tomorrow.”

Before the older girl could leave the dorm room though, Mina called out to her.

“Unnie…”

Nayoung stopped in her tracks, before taking a step back into the bedroom.

“Yes?”

For a moment Mina said nothing, instead once again toying with her sheets.

This caused her elder to shut the door behind her and make her way to Mina’s bedside.

“What’s wrong, maknae?”

She sat down on the edge of the bed next to Mina.

“Nayoung unnie,” the younger girl said, looking down at her lap that was still covered by blankets, “There’s someone at school that I like…”

Nayoung clapped her hands excitedly, letting a squeal escape her lips.

“Ahh, my little maknae is growing up.”

“Unnie~,” Mina whined, trying to hide the slight blush on her face with her hands, “This is serious!”

Nayoung dramatically pretended to wipe tears from her eyes.

“Omo, I’m sorry,” she cleared , “Sooo, who’s your little crush?”

Nayoung felt her stomach flutter as she asked this.

The idea of Mina liking someone was exciting, but also a little worrisome.

Mina was one of Nayoung’s babies, along with little Hyeyeon.

Of course Nayoung was a bit hesitant towards anything that meant the maknaes were growing up.

“I, uh…” Mina rubbed the back of her neck, “It’s just…someone. Anyway, I just wanted to get your advice on some stuff.”

“Yah, Mina!” She poked the younger girl’s side playfully, “I’m your unnie. You know you can trust me.”

Nayoung smiled meaningfully at Mina before finding the younger’s knee under the blankets and giving it a small, reassuring squeeze.

Mina took a breath, looking up towards the ceiling.

“Dayomi,” she sighed quietly.

Nayoung leaned in a bit closer to Mina, raising her eyebrow.

“Who?”

Mina felt herself getting more and more embarrassed by the whole situation every second.

She was kind of starting to regret reaching out to Nayoung at all.

She inhaled deeply again.

“Dayoung!” She all but shouted towards her elder.

Nayoung’s eyes went wide.

“Dorky, annoying Dayoung? The weird, small one from WJSN?”

Mina swatted at Nayoung’s shoulder.

“Yah, don’t be mean~!”

“Ooh, defending her? You’ve got it bad.”

Mina’s cheeks once again flushed, this time a deeper shade of red.

“So what do I do, Unnie?” Mina ran a hand awkwardly through her hair, “I just,” she paused before rushing out, “I just really like her and I don’t know if she likes me back and I don’t know what to do. What if I ruin our friendship? What if she doesn’t like me back and never wants to talk to me again?!”

Nayoung couldn’t help but chuckle at her maknae’s flustered state.

“Let me tell you something.”

Nayoung turned to face the bedroom door, rather than the other girl.

She let out a reminiscent sigh before smiling to herself.

“When I was first a trainee, there was someone I liked and-”

“Sejeong unnie, I already know,” Mina interrupted.

Nayoung rolled her eyes.

“Geez, do you want my help or not?”

Mina put her hands up defensively, “Sorry, sorry.”

The taller girl shook her head before continuing.

“When I was first a trainee, I knew I liked Sejeong from the moment she first introduced herself to me. Her stupid eyesmile and awkward jokes, they just got me.”

Mina pretended to gag, but honestly, she always loved hearing about Sejeong and Nayoung.

Ever since they had trained together for Produce 101, they had taken her under their wings.

They were kind of like mothers to her.

Nayoung just ignored the other girl’s teasing and continued.

“I knew I liked her, but I didn’t know if she liked me back. It was so hard to tell with her. She was always so friendly with everyone, you could never tell whether she was being flirty or not. Finally, I decided to just go for it. I started to think ‘what was the worst that could happen’. She could say she didn’t like me like that, and then we would move on with our lives. Of course, I worried about it nonstop anyway though. But eventually, the time came. I told myself that I was going to do it after practice the following day, no matter what. I hung around the back of the practice room while everyone else cleared out. Sejeong, of course, noticed and asked if something was wrong. And that’s when I confessed. You know what she said to me?”

Mina, actually being rather invested in the story now, simply shook her head.

“She said, ‘Yah, what took you so long, Pabo?’.”

At that, both girls burst out laughing.

Nayoung soon recovered, grinning with Sejeong still in her mind.

“My point is, everything is always going to seem worse in your head. It’s better to just go for it, rather than to dwell on what might happen.”

“So, I should just confess to her?”

“Yep. It makes things a lot easier if you just get it over with.”

Mina began making a list in her head, thinking of what would be the best way to tell Dayoung that she likes her.

“Thanks, Nayoung unnie.”

Mina gave the older girl a lopsided smile, genuinely feeling thankful for her help.

At this point, the maknae was honestly feeling much better about her situation.

“But Mina,” Nayoung put her hand on the smaller girl’s shoulder, “I do have one question.”

Mina quirked her eyebrow, signaling for her bandmate to continue.

“Why Dayoung? I mean, she’s such a dork~

Mina rolled her eyes playfully as Nayoung laughed.

“I could say the same about Sejeong unnie.”

Nayoung immediately became silent, knowing full well that Mina was right.

“Okay, that’s enough excitement for tonight. You have school in the morning,” Nayoung pushed herself up off the bed.

She walked back to the door, and once again reached for the light switch.

“Goodnight, Unnie.”

Nayoung turned off the light and stepped into the hall.

“Goodnight, maknae. Sleep well.”

She shut the door, leaving Mina to her thoughts (which were of her successfully making Dayoung her girlfriend, but she would never tell anyone that).

-

I know not a lot of people really ship Mina/Dayoung, but I think their friendship irl is super cute. Plus, I love the idea of Sejeong and Nayoung being moms towards Mina. Also, depending on how many views I get/what feedback I get, I was considering writing another chapter for this, where Mina actually confesses. Let me know what you think. Thanks!