Fourteen and Sixteen

The Years We Knew Each Other

14

16

 

Minho sighed as his mother went on another long lecture about his bad habits, the teenager barely listening or even caring about what she had to say. It was all the same: ever since his father day, he had become a mess and someone she didn’t know how to handle. He didn’t care, he only wanted to do what he could because, at the age of 12, he learned how fragile life could be. If a drunk driver could kill his father and barely get into that much trouble, why bother to live by society’s stupid ed up rules?

 

“Minho? Are you listening to me?”

 

“I’m going to Everland,” was his response before walking out of the door. He pulled a cigarette out of his pocket and pulled out his lighter as well, placing the cigarette between his lips and lighting it. Once it was finally lit, he placed the lighter back into his pocket and took a deep drag of the cigarette, placing it between his fingers as he blew out the smoke. A part of him hated that he caused his mother so much stress, especially because she hoped to lean on him after his father died, but a bigger part of him just couldn’t help it. He just...needed to act out and lash out some kind of way. So, that resulted in him smoking, skipping class, getting sent home for not wearing his uniform properly - anything to rebel.

 

He walked towards the entrance of the amusement park and grinned when he caught sight of his friends waiting for him. He had been friends with Jiho since the two of them were about three, their father’s working together and Jiho coming over whenever his father and Minho’s father needed to do some work. His mother didn’t like him as much, believing he was a bad influence, but Minho didn’t care. Their other friend, Hyuk, was someone they had met about two years ago but managed to become good friends with.

 

“Where the hell have you been? There’s a ton of cute girls we’re missing out on!” Jiho said as he slapped Minho on the back, the three of them walking into the amusement park and heading to the water park.

 

“Sorry, my mom was giving me a lecture like always.”

 

“Oh, did you tell her you’re not gonna enter high school next year and join us in Seoul instead?” Hyuk asked, taking the cigarette Minho offered him as he scoffed.

 

“Hell no, she’d freak out way more if I told her that. But I will tell her...probably when it’s time for me to graduate...” The idea of the three of them moving to Seoul together to make music had been on their minds for a while, but Minho knew that he wouldn’t get his mother’s permission to do it whatsoever.

 

“...look at them...” Jiho said suddenly, snapping Minho out of his thoughts and looking in the direction of his friend’s gaze. His eyes widened when he caught sight of Joohyun and two of her friends, the three girls laughing and talking amongst themselves as they walked towards the water park entrance.

 

“Joohyun?”

 

“You know them?” Jiho asked with a raised eyebrow.

 

“Yeah...the one in the yellow is Joohyun. Remember? I cut off her ponytail?”

 

That’s her?!” Jiho said in disbelief, “Damn if I knew she’d be so hot, I would’ve told you not to.” Minho chuckled quietly before walking up to the girls.

 

“Joohyun!” he called out, grinning when she turned her head to look at him.

 

“Minho? Hey!” she replied with a smile. Minho couldn’t help it as his eyes scanned her frame, taking in the sight of her in nothing but a bikini top and shorts. He had never really noticed it before, but she was rather gorgeous and had an amazing figure.

 

“Minho?” she asked, pulling him out of his daze.

 

“Huh?”

 

“I asked how you were doing,” she laughed softly, causing him to grin sheepishly.

 

“Good...just hanging out with my friends.” He gestured towards Hyuk and Jiho, who were both staring in disbelief that Minho knew someone so hot.

 

“Ah, I see. Are you guys heading to Caribbean Bay to-”

 

“Joohyun!” a deep voice suddenly called out. A tall man approached them and stood behind the young teenager, who smiled up at him and allowed him to put his arms around her. “What are you doing? I wanna go to the sauna and see you sweat.” Joohyun giggled when he nibbled at her ear but Minho made a face of distaste, clearing his throat to catch their attention.

 

“Who’s this?” the stranger asked.

 

“Oh, this is my childhood friend Minho!” Joohyun said with a smile, “Minho, this is my boyfriend Yongguk. He goes to the high school near my school.”

 

“Oh...” Minho responded, unsure why his heart suddenly felt like it was being punched.

 

“What school do you go to?”

 

“...Munjung Middle School...I’m in seventh grade...”

 

“Seventh grade?!” Yongguk laughed, taking Joohyun’s hand, “What are you talking to kids for? Come on.” Before she could respond, he pulled her away, causing her to laugh and turn back slightly to wave.

 

“Bye Minho!” Minho waved slightly, unable to say much of anything. He didn’t know why, but it felt like he had just been stabbed in the chest about fifty times. And he really hated that feeling.


A/N: A Christmas present! Here's an early update, I hope you all enjoyed it! Comments are deeply appreciated, I love hearing your thoughts!