Chapter Six

The Armies Of The Night

The female Warriors instantly started to run in the opposite direction of the Baseball furies. They all knew who they were, and they all knew that the bats were real and they weren't just using that uniform for show.

Rumor had it that these people were part of a baseball team before but didn't make it big because of their attitude in the field and out of it. To boot, they ended up beating their baseball coach for lapping up on all their money, the poor man stepped out of the city immediately after and no one has seen him since. This, however, was something the Warriors knew but the end of the story as they heard it was that the man was crippled for a lot of weeks before he finally passed away.

These kids could swing, and swing hard.

The girls all ran like hell, jumping the piles of trash from the knocked over garbage can, trying not to slip from the damp pavement and sidewalk, luckily not pushing through people seeing as the streets were cold and lonely. They could hear the rapid footsteps just behind them, several of them and they knew that these people didn't have trouble running with bats in hand.

They sharply turned a few corners, crossed a few streets before they found themselves taking a pause for a breather, looking around themselves and panting.

"Did we lose these ing clowns?" Seulgi groaned out, aggravated.

"Look," Irene merely responded, looking in the direction they came from. As if on cue the Baseball furies started to emerge from the corner, running like all hells and with huge maniac-like grins.

"Un-ing-believable!" Yeri said before they quickly took off again, this time running with all their might as they could give.

They thought of going around the block again, go back to the train station but they figured that if the guys didn't appear now, they probably had taken off to the next train.

Lucky bastards.

When Irene locked gazes on the sign that said 'Something Something Park', she instantly changed her course of action to run there, the girls following behind closely.

They ran down those stairs, except for Seulgi who slid down the railing and could finally catch up a little bit with them. Then, they jumped the benches nearby the entrance’s path and ran off to the extensive park. It was a very beautiful place to be around at night, to have a few beers on and to just rumble, but that wasn't the night to marvel around the place.

They had no idea where they were heading with this, across the park but then where would they end up being? It was not in Irene's line of thinking for sure, she was mostly thinking about how she can manage to defeat a bunch of psychos with bats and a lot of need for blood and action.

Running down some stairs, jumping some obstacles, following the gravel path. They all didn't dare to look back but they listened to the footsteps and knew that there were still just as much Furies behind them as before.

"Wendy! With me!" Irene said and immediately changed her course to the trees and where the slippery and wet grass were, Wendy following close behind. Then, they disappeared into the darkness.

It was Seulgi, Joy and Yeri running down the path and with all the Furies following them, just as Irene was planning.

They kept running like hell, like there wasn't a damn tomorrow. Yeri was growing tired, naturally, Joy was still hanging on and Seulgi--with her stamina of steel--could go for a couple more hours if she could.

Just as they all ran past Irene and Wendy's hideout, they caught the last two Furies who were getting tired and were falling back. Instantly Irene tapped Wendy's shoulder and they both ran like hells to those two. Wendy tackled her opponent with great force and pinned him to the ground real good, while Irene had her opponent now get aware of her, swinging the bat and luckily Irene dodged it.

"You !" The blue painted fury said, squirming from under Wendy's grip. "Get off me, you !"

Quickly, he was silenced by the strong and merciless fist of Iron that Wendy was known for, connecting with his cheek again and again until the boy stopped squirming and moving--not yet knocked out but too tired to fight back.

"Thank you," Wendy said as she got off and grabbed the bat.

Meanwhile, Irene had dodged two more swings before finding an opening to put her foot on his groin. In a violent manner of course, which caused him to double over in pain. As soon as he felt Irene's hand on his head, he knew that the knee would be next--and that was the last thing he saw before he was knocked back unconscious.

Irene didn’t waste her time to taunt her opponent as her peers did, but instead grabbed the bat and instantly took off running to where Seulgi, Joy and Yeri were.

They had been running all the while, until Seulgi looked back and found Irene and Wendy very far away with bats. Yeri, however, was starting to get really really tired, her shirt completely damp again but this time with sweat.

", man, I don't think I can run any longer," Yeri panted out, earning Seulgi's attention.

"You can't?!" Seulgi shouted out, keeping her view straight to her path.

"Yeah I'm ing sure!" Yeri shouted out, her voice cracking somewhere.

"Good!" Seulgi groaned. "I'm sick of running from these wimps."

"Finally, we're getting to ing fight?!" Joy exclaimed as they all started to slow down and look back.

Seulgi smirked and instead charged at her opponent with a very efficient kick at the stomach (misaimed, it was actually to the groin) and a nice blow to the jaw, knocking the dude off almost instantly. She stared at the fallen opponent with pride and was about to kick him down before he heard Yeri's small groan of pain followed by a soft thud. She turned around instantly and saw the girl down, moving but tired, she needed to catch her breath before fighting.

"You think you so tough, ei?" Seulgi taunted at Yeri's opponent, causing him to turn around. "You and your green make-up, you look like something I vomited last night!"

The guy was aggravated, no longer sporting a devilish smirk but rather frowning and getting upset.

"I'll shove that bat up your and turn you into a popsicle," Seulgi groaned, all the pent up rage within her starting to come out. "C'mon!"

The guy, instead of attacking right then and there, waited a little bit. When his grin started to show and the footsteps behind Seulgi stopped, she knew for a fact that she was going to have to fight with more than one of these wimps. Joy was pretty busy with her opponent to help and Irene and Wendy hadn't made it there yet.

A challenge... Well, Seulgi was always up for one of those.

"Come at me, then," Seulgi clenched her fist and got ready, taking careful steps forward to the vomit-make up guy but stopping cold once he did an abrupt trick with his bat--that huge grin in face and those yellow teeth almost distracting her.

Yes, that was the tactic.

He was going to continue with his show in order to keep Seulgi dumbfounded, until one of them hit from the back--and Seulgi was correct, as one of them was discreetly moving right behind her. He thought he was slithering quietly and sneaking behind her like a snake, but Seulgi knew better.

The man raised his bat, Seulgi could sense it, and in that window she powerfully elbowed the man right above the stomach--a dangerous place to hit thanks to the diaphragm, but she successfully hit it and he was completely out of breath.

"Fight fair, you !" Seulgi shouted, throwing the man over her shoulder and slamming him into the ground before quickly taking his bat and walking closer to the now scared vomit-make up dude. She showed no mercy however swinging the bat to his stomach. "I can play Baseball, too. Home run, !" And with that, his face met her knee.

In that moment Yeri had gotten up, now with a bit more of energy and grabbed the remaining bat from the vomit-make up dude, who Seulgi was kicking down on his side.

"Yeri!" Joy exclaimed to catch her attention quickly before tossing her tired opponent to her direction.

She wasted no time in swinging that bat right to his face! Instant knock-out and finally the face let go of his bat for Joy to grab.

"ing A," Joy chuckled, bumping fists with Yeri.

They were about to charge forth to the last three guys before they saw Irene swiftly appear behind him and surprise him with a nice swing to his lower back; Wendy surprised her opponent too by patting his shoulder to get his attention then headbutting him as soon as he turned around.

The last one of the ers was locking gazes with Seulgi, who looked and felt like a beast at that moment.

Yeri was about to go help before Joy held her back. "This is Seulgi's playtime, let her."

The guy had a bat but he looked like he didn't know how to use it, his legs shaking and his hands gripping the bat like an amateur would. He wasn't confident in his step and he looked afraid behind the clown red and black make up.

Seulgi was quiet, panting heavily but just shifting her weight around, she looked like Bruce Lee--who wouldn't keep still in a fight for too long. Looking into her eyes was a big mistake for this Fury, considering her eyes were intense and she was conveying one simple message with her brown hues.

'I'm going to ing kill you.'

It was clear as water and this was not because they wanted to hurt them. No, no, of course not. This was just Seulgi taking off her anger at something. For Irene's new position as warchief, for that girl Mercy who destroyed the parley (actually, just because she got Irene's attention and special treatment), for this entire night that was hell to her and them--everything was just her personal rage and she was taking it off on him and his knocked out friends.

The girls knew it well, when Seulgi got like that you better not stop her until she at least gets to punch something. Irene knew this fairly well, but she also knew that if they didn't stop Seulgi she could kill someone.

It hadn't gotten to that point yet, thankfully, but there's always a first.

There was no way this man could win. But of course, the man still swing his bat--aiming to her face--but she successfully ducked and delivered one nice punch to his stomach, then another one with her other hand, then a punch to his side and to finalize: a nice uppercut right to his chin, with a special delivery full of rage. It was as if that punch took a weight off her shoulder, and she was glad it landed right where she wanted it to land. It made it all perfect.

He fell back gloriously onto his back and completely let go of his bat. He was out completely, just like the rest of his friends.

Seulgi was panting heavily, the dim light close by making her body shine with sweat. Internally she was content that somehow she got to kick and punch some people, especially those clowns who looked a lot more scary than they actually were. She sighed deeply and regained her posture, standing up straight and rolling her shoulders a little. "I figured they were wimps," she laughed, causing the Yeri and Joy to chuckle along.

" man, I thought they were stronger," Wendy expressed.

Irene sighed deeply, cracking her neck a bit and looking up at the sky briefly. "I thought so too, but once you take their bats out they're done for."

"Bunch of chicken s," Seulgi sighed out again, chuckling. "That felt good."

"Well, they knocked me back there for a bit," Yeri admitted, placing her bat on her shoulder.

"That's only 'cause they got you off guard," Joy patted her friend's back.

Irene finally looked down and looked at everyone. "We can talk about this later, let's bounce," she commanded, earning a nod from everyone, even from Seulgi who was now a little more relaxed.

Walking through the park without those clowns on their proved to be better. Their step was not as fast as before, they were still lethargic and breathing heavily, but now they were packed with bats and full of confidence that they'll make it back home safely, but for now they had to go to Union Square and find the guys before they decide to depart ways without them.

But of course, there was no rest for the wicked. Just behind the dense bushes and trees, behind the walls of the park, was the dark blue uniform and the shining badge of those good-doers. The hero of the normal people's stories, but the enemy of the Warriors.

"Do you think the guys are in Union Square already?" Yeri asked, placing her bat over her both shoulders now.

"Hell yeah," Joy responded walking behind them and swinging her bat around. "Unless they got busted by the cops or got distracted by the girls."

"What girls?" Seulgi asked suddenly, squinting.

"The Lizzies, they're a known gang around these places, I don't know where they reside but I'm joking, y'know."

"That'd be funny, but not unexpected," Irene commented, keeping her eyes peeled and looking around. "You know Peniel's weakness is women."

Yeri snorted and started to laugh, gently prodding Wendy's arm with her elbow. "Yeah, remember when he was flirting with Wendy back when? That was hilarious."

The girls then laughed along, earning a smile from Irene.

"He really thought Wendy wasn't part of the Warriors in that reunion," Seulgi laughed.

"I wasn't given my vest yet, of course," Wendy snorted. "When Joonhyung told him I was part of the crew I just saw his eyes go wide and see him sit down on the nearest couch. It was so funny!"

The girls laughed again and it soon died down with nostalgic sighs. Oh, those times were simpler, when they were still a starting gang--still unorganized but ready to rumble. For a moment everyone remembered Joonhyung, his huge grin but his firm and commanding voice, his lessons and his scoldings on how we should take care of one another.

How no one should leave a warrior behind.

Then, Wendy perked up. "Where do you think Joonhyung is?"

For a moment there was silence, complete silence before Irene sighed and spoke out loud. "Let me honest with you guys. I think I saw him go to where Cyrus was, I'm not sure if he got busted by the cops."

Everyone looked at one another and silence took over but the moment silence took over they heard something. They heard a radio--no, a walkie-talkie.

"G-guys?" Yeri stammered as she stared behind them, finding the blue and white police car speeding to their way from afar.

"Move!"

And so they took off, running as fast as they could. They followed the path of gravel but ran  to where the trees were. If the cops were to catch up to them in car, they wouldn't be able to get close to them or anything--they'd have to get off. So far, it would work for them to get through without problems.

The sirens went off and the red and blue color flickered in the darkness that ambushed the tired Warriors as they ran. The more they ran the closer they got to the other side of the park and closer to the exist. Irene was in front leading the pack and the last person was Seulgi as always, the heavy muscle that couldn't run too fast--or did not feel the need to.

"Over there!" Joy shouted, pointing to the sign that pointed to the exit, which was to the left of where they were, but they'd have to cut through the fast approaching car. They could cross the path and just run all the way through, avoiding the trees and benches on the way.

"Crossing, now!" Irene commanded, and all of them instantly moved to her direction and rhythm, except Seulgi who was behind.

They all dashed around the trees just nice and over the bench before they heard a thud and looked back.

It was Seulgi, who had collided against a tree--distracted perhaps of the car behind them that had just screeched in a full stop.

"Irene!" The girls shouted, jogging up the stairs and stopping briefly.

Irene was frozen, staring at Seulgi who was having some difficulty standing up, holding her shoulder in pain and frustration. She felt her heart drop. Shouldn't she somehow feel... good? No, that's ridiculous. She liked Seulgi after all.

That moment she was teleported back to the time Joonhyung and the rest were running from a gang of crazy psychos that once invaded territory. Irene had fallen back and crashed onto the dumpster, writhing in pain and instantly feeling like she was about to die there. Until Joonhyung ran back to get her, carried her over his shoulder and ran with her to another direction, hiding her.

Her heart dropped even further down when the cop's car stopped, watching one officer get out and head towards the girls, the other starting to walk towards Seulgi who was still struggling with her shoulder.

She remembered Joonhyung's comforting, manly voice, hushing her fear away in that dark alleyway.

"No leader leaves their warriors behind."

Instantly, Irene sprinted faster than never before towards where Seulgi was, jumping that bench like it was no ones business.

The girls were static for a moment before Wendy spoke with a soft smirk. "That's Irene for you, c'mon, let's go to the station we'll meet them there!"

Then they took off, the officer tailing behind them and disappearing from the park.

"Your time is out, punk," the officer said, grabbing Seulgi by her arm and violently trying to get her to sit up.

"Ow! You !" Seulgi yelped out, her shoulder still massively sore from the hit.

Irene only saw this and got enraged more, launching herself for and swinging her bat to the Officer's side, causing him to let go of Seulgi and move back in pain. But Irene showed no mercy, smashing his jaw with the bat's knob and knocking him out on the spot.

"C'mon, c'mon, Seulgi," Irene said softly, helping the girl get up gently and as slow as they could.

"Get here, you punk!"

Irene instantly turned around and swung to whoever that was, landing the hit on his stomach and knocking him back. It was an officer, and officer that had managed to break her bat no less, too!

Upon realizing the bat was broken she cursed under her breath.

"I think there's more coming!" Seulgi panted out, finally standing up and holding her shoulder.

"Let's go, we have to hide," Irene then grabbed Seulgi's hand and started to run, tugging a still very tired soldier with her.

They ran like all hells in a different direction, leaving behind two knocked out cops and a police vehicle blaring its siren and sitting idly in the middle of the gravel path--usually meant for pedestrian.

Without hesitation they made it out of the park and into whatever alleyway they could find, embracing the darkness once again and just continuing forth until there was nothing left but streets to cross and other alleys to explore, which they did, until they figured they were far enough from the park and safe in the darkness.

Seulgi panted heavily and leaned against the wall, sliding down and sitting down on the floor.

Irene was watching over her, still panting, watching her Seulgi's bare skin glistened with more sweat than before. She too was washed over with sweat, despite having the night be slightly fresh. Then again, they've ran like all hells.

"Let's sit here for a moment," Irene softly said, sitting down on the floor as well, right across from Seulgi. "You OK?"

The wounded warrior just panted and looked at Irene. It was strange, but the way the moonlight was hitting her face made her look like an angel, beautiful in every way.

She was in fact, but Seulgi preferred never to think of it. Yes, it was better not to think of it. There was no way she thought Irene was beautiful. She was her rival, she took her position as a leader. But then...

"Why did you go back?" Seulgi asked, not answering the question before.

Irene shook her head subtly. "Why wouldn't I?"

"I figured you would prefer to leave me behind, aren't I a loose ing cannon?" Seulgi bitterly spat, looking away and not directing her gaze towards Irene at all, who was looking at her with those eyes.

Not the intense eyes, but those soft and comforting eyes she loved--No, that she despised.

"I can't leave anyone behind," Irene looked down, sighing deeply. "I figured if you were going to be sent somewhere I would be sent as well."

Seulgi looked at Irene briefly, just staring for a while as she absorbed everything that was happening around her and within her. Her feelings, her envy of Mercy, her pride. It was all coming down on her real hard. But there was something she was clearly realizing.

Irene was the leader, and there was a reason why. She has led the squad with an iron fist, with the brains and the plans only Joonhyung would come up with. Most importantly, she ran back to help Seulgi the moment she was in trouble.

"I just thought you wished to get rid of me," Seulgi said, mumbled out actually, mostly to her own self.

"I couldn't... I can't do that to a friend."

Friend...


They were still friends.

Seulgi felt like within, but why ruin such a calm moment in that hellish night. She gave her a small grimace--the attempt of a smile, before she looked up at the moon shining brightly, so full in the sky.

They all were thinking about their friends, wherever they were, and if they have already made it home. Irene sure as hell wished they did, but in reality the girls had just gotten aboard the train to Union Square, just as tired as they were, unable to even taunt the police officers that had almost gotten them that night.

But they were at least safe and closer to home, while Irene and Seulgi were still out in the open and pretty far. Either way, after regaining their energies, they continued. This was a bad time, the epitome of it.

But by far, the ones who were having a worse time were the boys who were running out of the Lizzies' hangout. Namtae had a cut on his hand while Baekho and Peniel were scared less. They were almost shot in the head by the crazy girls who were seducing them just moments ago. But now they were fleeing the block with a wounded man and the knowledge they needed.

Finally, they all sought shelter in a alley (seems that the Alleys are the protagonists of this story as well), covering up Namtae's cut.

", man," Namtae shakily mumbled out, looking at the two older boys with a scared expression. "We're ed man."

"What's up with these people here? Are they this hostile?!" Baekho exclaimed.

"No, man, it's not that. They think we killed Cyrus!"

Peniel and Baekho froze instantly. "What?!" They said simultaneously.

"They think we shot Cyrus, every gang in the city must be looking for us."

Peniel was wiggling and moving about now, finally realizing that they were in a lot more danger than they were before. ", man, ! We're ed."

"No, we made it here, then we can make it all the way," Baekho said, equally frightened but a lot firmer than the two of them. "We just need to get to Union Square and wait for the girls there, especially Irene..."

They all nodded, unable to shake the scared feeling of feeling like preys in front of thousand hunters. They needed to be together, now more than ever.