Chapter Five

The Armies Of The Night

What was unknown to the Warriors was that the Riffs were still looking around for them, in the death of the night, commanding every gang in town to look for them just like they were. "A small time clique had ran into them, the Orphans," one of the Riffs informed to a stoic faced man with glasses. The man showed himself amused for a split second before reverting back to his usual facial expression--cool, calm, confident--, nodding at the information before the messenger left and disappeared out of his sight.

These Warriors were proving to be pretty interesting, if not formidable fighters--worth of recognition and made to be big names in the city. Perhaps it was too soon to consider it, but they had to see what was going to happen with that, if anything were to happen. Whether they would be alive or dead was the matter and the new leader of the Riffs was pondering with his next command.

Whatever it was that they were, they killed Cyrus. They must be punished.

Somewhere off in the lonesome streets, far away from The Warriors themselves, was a black old car parked as it was being filled with Gasoline. A black car full of graffiti, an insignia painted in white, a lot of obscene words written over it by the young hoodlums abording the ship. The people from inside that car got out at the smell of strong gasoline, asphyxiating like the enclosed space, meeting and gather up closer to the store's entrance. They wore leather, all black attire, their insignia in the back or in the chest, looking real sharp for the night and as dangerous as ever with their sticks, bats, chains and what have you.

Their leader, of course, did not look as tough but he was crazy. Petite, a very sharp and chiseled face, his eyes wider than anything and his eyes a chilling blue color that would send a shiver down anybody's spine. A psychopath indeed, though that was but a fact no one knew of, except maybe the gangsters that had an unfortunate run-in with the man and his gang. Earlier in the evening he had made it his business to get around town and make a few calls here and there to make sure people knew who were the ones that killed Cyrus. The Warriors, he continuously said through the phone in each of his calls, until he got the word that the Riffs have already sent out a command.

They wanted them alive, but the Rogues didn't.

So, in this one last call for the night, Luther had received a very interesting intel. The Warriors had already made it quite far, passing through the Turnbull A.Cs and the small-pathetic gang The Orphans and avoiding more than necessary hazards. This only meant that the Rogues would have a change to get them.

As soon as Luther hung up the phone he got out of the booth running and pushing past his rogues with excitement before stopping right at his Lieutenant, sharing the good news. However, his Lieutenant did not look so pleased.

He had expressed his discontent before and he was going to express it again. He did NOT want the Riffs down on his if they were to ever find out that Luther was the one who shot Cyrus, much to his discontent Luther almost seemed to want that--to be the talk of the town. Whether it was for good reasons or for bad ones.

Luther was like that, he got the leadership by being merciless, ruthless, pretty smart with his thinking, but he was a wimp and relied too much on his Rogues to protect him as if he was some sort of president or executive. Even the warning that the cops were bopping their way around to bust up any gang got Luther excited, to which his lieutenant asked why.

"I'm having a good time!" He merely replied, earning a strange, ticked off look from his second in command.  Then, the order was sent out to the Rogues. Instead of waiting for the Warriors in the platform they were heading, they were going to do them a little special visit.

The lieutenant wasn't happy, rightfully so.

"Let's go!" Luther shouted, jumping into the vehicle's passenger seat before anyone got it.

Everyone cheered like savages before jumping right into the car and filling the run-down car with as much people as it could handle. They did not even think to pay for the gas--and it was not like the gentleman working there was waiting for his pay, seeing that they were all packed with all kinds of weapon, and even catching a glimpse of a revolver on Luther's belt. It was too dangerous to even ask them, he would earn his dough rightfully later on and preferred to conserve his life.

It was also dangerous to try to reason with Luther. He had already killed many--but not in any way you thought. Always sneaky, creeping on the shadows and putting a bullet to their back; he wasn't going to stop and that was the way of the jungle, the way it ought to be. The reason Cyrus' plans sought to fail the moment it was proposed.

They instantly took off and drove off, blasting the radio with high spirits for hijinks and adrenaline, except for the driver who was the lieutenant, who was not too pleased but had to at least fake his enthusiasm at least.

This was going to end wrong.

 

**

 

During the train ride, everyone was sitting and chattering. Irene had long unhooked Mercy's arm and let her take a seat. Of course, everyone talked to her while Irene was quiet and thinking, holding onto the metal pole as the train continued to move and ride forth to the next platform. Seulgi was quiet too but she was further away playing with the moving handles, acting as if they were a boxing bag. It wasn't a great deal of fun, but it was a way to blow off steam before she got closer to Irene and started to talk.

"What are we going to do with her, why we brought her along?"

Irene kept quiet for a while before she looked at Seulgi. "I just dragged her along, didn't want her to stick around with those idiots."

"Oh not only you're a diplomat now but you're apparently a good samaritan?" Seulgi laughed bitterly, crossing her arms. "We didn't need her tagging along, she'll slow us down."

Irene then turned to face Seulgi, her face neutral. "We'll get rid of her anyways, what's the matter with you?" the pale woman frowned, for the first time in that evening.

Seulgi paused for a moment and thought her words well before she just shrugged. "Nothing, I just don't want distractions."

"Well, you're definitely acting like something's up."

"It ain't nothing."

"Oh really, Seulgi?" Irene tilted her head. "I saw the way you look at her, I was the way you were eating her up with your eyes when she was close to that Orphan."

Seulgi kept quiet for a moment, frowning. She did not think Irene would notice, or even intuit to take a look, and she wasn't paying attention when she did.

"You like her."

You mean, 'you want to be her?'

"No," Seulgi firmly stated, crossing her arms and looking away.

She didn't want to be like her either. That response was more to her head than to Irene. But she knew why she wanted to be her in that sense. She wanted Irene to give her attention just like she was giving Mercy attention. She... wanted to have her look at her that way again.

What made Mercy attractive anyways? She had terrible makeup on, but her was pretty generous and big--Seulgi knew that Irene's weakness was butts, through and through that was for certain--but she could not understand it even with that gift. She could also not understand what was making her so angry, making her feel so frustrated.

"Whatever it is, we talkin' about this later," Irene sighed.

"It's always later when it comes to me, why don't you hear me out?"

Before their conversation could even continue, the train stopped and everyone was dead silent. Many passengers had stepped out before, so the emptiness of the station and the train made the air tense and uncomfortable. Something was up and it wasn't just Seulgi's strange behavior about Mercy tagging along, this was far more serious. The platform was empty after that. Too empty, too silent.

"Guys," Irene softly commanded, tilting her head up and indicating them to get up and stick close to the doors.

Everyone started to slowly stand up, keep close to the doors. All they had to do was wait for the next train, no matter how long it was going to take to get there. It was a few moments of pure silence, except the breathing and occasional cough from the members.

", I'm sick of waiting for the damn trains," Yeri groaned.

Irene cleared and got Yeri's attention, getting her to look at her. With a shake of her head and a very firm gaze, Yeri sighed. It was a clear look.

'Stay quiet'

And Yeri understood it. "Okay, Okay." Then, she walked back and sat down.

However, there was no time to rest as the slow footsteps of someone were nearing the train. It was agonizingly slow and everyone was already on their toes. There were steps and steps, endless almost, but they were clearly getting closer and closer. Everyone could feel each other's rapid heartbeat on their own throats.

Irene kept her gaze following the sound and the moment she stared at the window she got quite a scare.

A police officer, and perhaps many more of them.

"Go!" She commanded and instantly everyone started to run away and out of the train.

The moment they poured out they saw more and more cops all around, people from far away watching the scene and wondering what in the devils was going on!

Then it was a ruckus through and through. They all gotten separate, the boys had picked the other way to run while the girls--except Yeri--picked up the stairs. Seulgi, Irene, Joy and Wendy instinctively ran to one direction--of course Seulgi stood behind to get the rise out of a cop by dodging his attacks and giving him a kick push to knock him back and give her time to run away.

They went up the stairs, down the stairs, pushing past through people, passing by people, jumping tables and what not. They were all in a hurry and no matter how much they ran, cops seemed to pour out of nowhere. But soon enough, they lost them.

"To the streets, c'mon," Seulgi suggested amidst the ruckus and Irene nodded, changing the course of action and going up the stairs and to the street.

Thankfully, Yeri was catching up to them and going up the same stairs, panting like crazy but not stopping at any moment. The girls jumped the toll and ran the rest of the way out to the street, all of them stopping right in front of it.

"Finally, !" Joy panted out, doubling over and placing her hands on her knee.

Irene instantly leaned against the nearby railings, panting and throwing her head back to stare at the sky for a moment, catching her breath.

Seulgi was fidgety, unable to sit still but panting. ", man, where are they?!"

They waited for a moment before finally someone did come around but it was just one person.

"Yeri!" Wendy called, making everyone look at the girl who was just jumping through the tolls and finally made it out.

The girl was sweaty, tired and instantly doubled over, holding her stomach. ", man. I hate running."

"Holy , Yeri," Joy laughed, dragging the girl closer. "I won, ."

Yeri playfully elbowed Joy on the ribs. "Not fair, I was with Mercy, I lagged back."

Irene looked down finally and regained composure. "What happened to her?"

Yeri too reincorporated her posture before speaking in between pants. "I lost her, she ran elsewhere when I was tussling with a cop."

"Where are the others?"

"I didn't see 'em, I ran like all hells."

Irene nodded, taking a deep breath before looking around. And in that moment... she froze. "Guys," she began.

That moment everyone looked at what she was looking at, the street and sidewalks were empty save for several guys...

Face painted in bizarre colors, some were like clowns and others were like football fanatics but in fact had baseball outfits. They were all a little dirty but still in tact, they've lost their color from so much usage they could tell. The streets were not as dark as the others so they could read every move and expression. They all swung baseball bats, some just stayed completely still staring at them. It was a menacing stare, a psychotic one at that. They were absolutely cornered and of course it was right where they needed to go. They could make a mad dash, but what good would it be.

Again, Irene wished she was packed.

"I guess we better take off, you guys..."

Everyone nodded.

"Yeah, right," Seulgi groaned out.

It was a tense moment of silence, eye contact and a defiant look. No matter the situation, they could not panic, they could not surrender. They had to make it back home.

The instant Irene started to run, the girls followed behind, leaving behind the boys if they ever were there or if they were busted. They could not afford to be taken down or hunted by these psychos--not now that they were so far down the road and closer to Coney.

The desire to get home was driving them that night. They had to get back, for Joonhyung... Wherever he was.