Chapter Four

The Armies Of The Night

They walked and walked for a while, their step was light and relaxed despite the rough encounter back there. The remained partially unbothered, with their shoulders down. However, everyone was hissing and groaning at how annoying that girl was while Irene kept quiet and continued to think. It was certain that they were annoyed, that was sure, but Irene was not as bothered--she knew this kind of thing would happen, if not there then other places. Seulgi, however, was more upset than anything.

Why was she staring at Irene like that? Why was she keen on her? Who the did she think she was? She looked like something the cat dragged in!

Wait... that wasn't necessary, Seulgi thought to herself.

These were new found feelings that she wished not to register now, of all times. But if there was anything that could help her was the rage that this thought was creating. It was infuriating, it was making her feel powerless. Yes... yes, it was a good motivation to punch something, but alas they could not now.

"Boy, that chick got some mouth," Peniel remarked, digging his hands into his pockets as the night warriors sharply turned the corner.

Wendy laughed and patted Joy's shoulder in a friendly manner. "You did terrific back there!"

"Of course, you know I ain't messing around when it comes to makin' business," Joy cockily expressed, earning a soft giggle from Irene as well.

"You guys lipped them down and dragged them," Yeri joined in, sounding a lot more cheerful than before.

"Their asses are going to ring for a month," Namtae laughed.

Seulgi rolled her eyes, taking the chance no one could see her eyes. "I say we should've wasted them."

"Yeah, I would've love to beat their faces or watch ‘em cower," Baekho agreed for the first time, patting Seulgi's shoulder. "But we oughta save that energy for later."

Seulgi smirked and patted Baekho's hand. "You and I are going to make sparks fly on the sky, ya dig."

"C'mon guys, let's keep our eyes peeled. These people went for reinforcements and they ain't backing out this easily," Irene explained, earning a nod from everyone as they continued to march like soldiers--with their colors on, wearing them with a lot of pride.

However, the moment there was silence in the street--save for the constant barking of a dog in the distance--the entire group heard the sound of heels clicking against the pavement, passing through the small and occasional puddle that they themselves have just passed. They were wearing boots and sneakers, no heels or something that would click like that. They all concluded with the same thing:

The girl was following them.

Irene instantly stopped them and instantly looked around for a safe spot to hide. The alleyway nearby was good enough, the moonlight casting thick shadows behind the dumpster where they could all hide. "Seulgi," Irene turned around, staring face to face with the woman. "Whoever follows I want you to grab them, keep them shut, yes?"

Seulgi nodded firmly with a smirk forming on her lips, making her look sinister under the dim lightning nearby. "Finally, some action."

"Everyone behind the dumpster, let's move," Irene commanded and everyone took their position.

Of course, Seulgi did not hide behind the dumpster, but hide closer to the edge of the wall, closer to the entrance of the alleyway, prying on and depending on sound to know when the person was going to come around. Everyone kept as still as possible, even holding their breaths somewhat as they now heard the hesitant clicking of the heels, going back and forth as if the girl was having second thoughts.

"She's really looking for trouble," Wendy softly mumbled.

"Hush, stay quiet," Joy groaned.

Then, she earned a hush from everyone, to which Wendy and Joy returned mockingly.

Seulgi, however, was hell bent on looking at the shadow casted by the somewhat functioning street light. As soon as she saw any shadow or any glimpse of anyone coming into her line of sight, she'd jump right at the chance and grab whoever has decided to mess with the wrong kind of people...

If it's that trouble maker of a girl, she'd do it with a lot of pleasure.

The moment she saw a figure emerging from the corner of her eye was the moment she sprung out, tightly clamping shut and hooking her strong arm around her, fighting against Mercy's squirming and whines. It was a fight easily won as she managed to keep her within her grasp as the crew slowly came out of the dumpsters and got all around her.

The normal citizen would their pants in this situation, but they had to be lucky to be surrounded by the Warriors, who were very up to listening and letting normal citizens go away. Other gangs would not care for the normal citizen, that’s the way of the concrete jungle they resided in. For once, Irene and Seulgi shared a thought in common: it wasn’t right, but they could not do anything about it.

For now, the talking had to start real soon.

Irene locked gazes with Seulgi and tilted her head up briefly. It was a clear command.

Seulgi groaned. Did Irene already develop a soft spot for this woman? Either way, she let go of and eventually--with another tilt of her head--she let go of her completely.

"Well, you ain't done causing trouble," Irene walked forward, crossing her arms and looking a lot more animated and loose than before.

"What if I'm looking for some real action?" Mercy responded, pushing further away from Seulgi.

"Like what? Getting beaten down by your boyfriend seems real live," Yeri hissed, shrugging her shoulders.

"You're wasting our times and yours," Irene coldly explained. "We ain't got the mood or time for that, unless--."

They were about to continue talking before they heard a mass of footsteps across the street, quickly assembling as if they were a gang. Irene didn't turn around but the rest of the gang did to confirm Irene’s suspicions.

"Reinforcements," Peniel warned.

"Of course," Irene mumbled to herself before she walked closer to Mercy, who seemed to retreat a bit until she hit the wall behind her. "I hope you don't like this skirt," Irene pressed herself against Mercy's frail looking body.

Seulgi's ears were red from anger at just watching, she was ready to fight and was ready to just blow that steam.

The mob of pathetic looking dudes were standing there, looking as tough as they wanted to look but by no means achieving any sort of fright from the Warriors. Actually, maybe a bit of it, but not because of their prowess or anything, but rather because they were thirty and maybe more of them, armed with several weapons while the Warriors were just eight of them, with barely anything to throw at them... except one thing, they’ve saved for a rainy day.

"You see, Warriors?! You see what you get from messing with the Orphans?!"

The crew started to slowly move. Namtae slowly started to get a bottle out of his bag, passing it over to Baekho.

"You're going to jump me?" Mercy asked, a slight fright to her tone.

"I ain't got the time," Irene coldly replied with a dry smile, but her hand went down below, to the end of Mercy's skirt before tightly gripping it and tearing a bit of it out. "Thank you for your service," she said again.

So, Irene wasn't going to jump her. Seulgi somehow found that relieving.

"Seulgi, bring her in," Irene firmly said before she walked to Baekho and handing over the skirt's fabric, starting to set up the last needed piece to light up the cocktail.

With a devilish smirk, Seulgi grabbed the girl's hand and dragged her back with them.

They wasted no time to arm their deadly weapon and to light up the piece of fabric. was about to get serious.

The moment the cocktail was ready to go, they handed it to Irene who walked forth and up to the front, revealing herself. She briefly locked gazes with the leader of the Orphans, who was holding a scalpel of some sorts. They locked gazes and this time he suddenly realized that Irene was more than just a pretty face but rather a pretty face with a deadly look into her eyes. The cocktail in her hands was a proof that she was capable of doing a lot more than what he thought.

"Give it to 'em, Irene!" Yeri and Joy cheered.

"Show who's boss!" Seulgi shouted too.

Mercy watched attentively how the Orphan's leader was visibly shrinking upon being stared down by Irene, by her crew. "I knew you were a coward, Mark," she mumbled to herself.

The Orphans instantly knew this was bad news.

And so she threw it, the gang instantly moved to the side a bit until they realized the bottle hit the nearest car and set a large portion of its hood on fire. What would follow would be the engine… and god knows what else.

"Now!" Irene shouted and all the warriors began to run with her as fast as they could while the Orphans were concerned with the little car diversion.

Seulgi dragged Mercy with them, of course, and they all ran the rest of the way to the station, thinking that they'd at least have some balls to chase them down, but when they heard the car's explosion right behind them--muffling their heavy panting and their furious footsteps--they knew for a fact that the Orphans weren't on their tails and instead ran away home to possibly curl up and think about how pathetic they are.

But they kept running, they kept going faster than ever. As soon as they made it to the station and they heard the roaring of the train coming by, they knew they had to pick up the step.

They all poured into the train station, ran upstairs with great speed and got into the first open door they could get into. Irene was first, then Joy, then came all the rest of them in a bunch and last but not least Seulgi with Mercy.

The train wasn't empty and the citizens that saw them with confusion and distaste once again, but this time were surprised to see a woman with them, without their colors. Still, the slowly and discreetly moved away, paid no mind to them or both.

"Let go of me," Mercy said as soon as she got in and Seulgi did let go of her, only to have Irene hooking her arm on hers and keeping her still and close.

They were all panting and tired, but gathered at the door to check if the Orphans were behind them.

Not a single soul, not a single sound.

"Hold on," Yeri asks between pants as she wiped off her sweat. "How come we're running?"

Seulgi takes a good look down the stairs from her position before she laughed. "I told ya, they were a bunch of wimps."

"Union station here we come," Wendy sing-songed, relieved in a way.

"Hey, what about me?" Mercy suddenly barked, making everyone look at her.

Just then, the doors were closing. It was Mercy’s last chance to escape if anything, but she could not as Seulgi and Wendy were standing by the door’s way as if to avoid her coming out, a strong arm wrapped around her. The doors were now fully closed and the train was on its way to their next destination.

"So what about you?" Seulgi said with firmness to her tone.

Everyone kept quiet, catching their breath and recovering from such a long walk and long run, just hearing the train's distinctive noise.

Irene glared at the girl for her tone, causing Seulgi to glare back before breaking the eye contact, going off to sit somewhere for a while.

There was something going on with Seulgi, and this wasn't because of her being warchief. This was truly something else.