The Project

The Art of Letting You Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"'Cause it feels like I'm walking on tightrope,

My heart is in my throat,

I'm counting on high hopes to get me over you..."

The service for the funeral was short, but the attention from the media was undeniable. Cameras and news sites were taking pictures and footages of the crying celebrities and even directors. Chang Wook kept his head down the entire time to avoid the media from taking pictures of his face, supressing the anger in his chest from the blatant disrespect of the press in the wake of his senior. By the time that they arrived at the crematorium, the media was already kept away from the site, and he and Soo Jeon sobbed into each other's arms as they watched the remains of Noh Jeon Hyung being burnt into ashes. Eomma was as supportive as ever, rubbing his back as she sobbed her own quiet tears. It was painful to see her son losing a father figure in his life, and it was more painful to see him trying to comfort Soo Jeon, knowing very well that the young teenager lost his pillar at such an early age. Nonetheless, she knew that she's going to have to take care of the two of them now, no matter what. 

By the corner of the room, Nam Ji Hyun was covering her face in her handkerchief, trying to suppress her sobs as she watched her senior's ashes being collected into a jar. She tried her best to cover up her puffed up face, as well as the wails that came out of . It pained her to realize that her senior is dead, but she knew as well that he was suffering for a long time, especially during the time they worked together. It was time for him to finally find peace and comfort, even if it meant for him to finally leave them behind. She sobbed further into her handkerchief, but despite having her face covered, she felt someone's gaze set upon her. She turned away from the scene, not willing to watch any further as the jar filled with his ashes was given to Soo Jeon, and the crowd walked with him as they placed Jeon Hyung's ashes in their final resting place. As Soo Jeon placed the jar inside the space, the tears wouldn't stop flowing down his face, his body shaking from the sobs that left his lips, to the point that Chang Wook had to step beside him to help him place the jar properly inside. As Chang Wook rubbed Soo Jeon's back to calm him down, the people looked at him with sympathetic gazes, but his gaze was at the familiar woman by the side of the crowd, her head turned away from the scene as her body also shook with the sobs that left her. Even though her face was covered, he knew very well who she was, and he knew better that she was one of the only people he knew that hated crying or showing weakness in public. 

The sun's rays reflected on the columbarium, the golden glow bathing the crowd as the sobs and sniffles continued. After some time, the people bade their final farewell to Jeon Hyung's niche, bowing towards the mourners and then towards his ashes. Chang Wook watched as Ji Hyun stepped in front of the niche, a crowd standing behind her, before bowing in front of them. He heard her sigh to herself as they came up, their heads still looking down on the floor, and after a while, he watched as Ji Hyun left with the crowd as the people in the room slowly dissipated, until they were the only people left. Soo Jeon was still sniffling in Chang Wook's embrace, his suit jacket stained with tears and wet patches from the teenager in his arms. He continued to comfort him as he rubbed his back, holding onto him firmly just in case he fainted. The room suddenly feels faint, despite the loud sobs and the bright lights. There was this constant ringing in his ears, this heavy feeling in his chest from all of the grief and the pain he bottled up. At that moment, he realized that they were on their own now, with Soo Jeon already old enough to handle himself and the rest of the possessions Jeon Hyung left him. This was the next challenge that he had to face after years of trying to get back on his feet with his senior's help, and he wasn't sure if he was going to be ready or not for what's to come. 

__

"You met with the executives of the project a month ago, right Ji PD-nim?"

Six weeks have passed since the burial, but they knew better that life doesn't stop for anybody. They were immediately swamped with calls and meetings with lawyers, talking about the testaments and ownership of some properties that Jeon Hyung had. Now, they were handling the part regarding Jeon Hyung's last project, which is actually still in its filming period. Surprisingly, the film isn't even halfway filmed yet, but since the event was so sudden, the production had to halt for two weeks for mourning.   

"Yes." He replied through his phone. "It was during pre-prod when they talked to me about it with Noh PD-nim, a few months ago, if I'm not mistaken? I think the main writer wasn't present that time due to conflicts." 

"Well, we'd like to schedule a meeting with you in a few days. Preferrably after the Baeksang Awards, if you wouldn't mind?"

"I don't, no worries." He replied. 

"Also, we'd like to inform you to bring your contract once more for discussion. Have you made your decision regarding your participation yet? I mean, you don't have to follow Noh PD's wishes—"

"With all due respect, sir." He started. "But I have promised to follow his wishes before his death, and I will follow through it no matter what. I'll attend the signing and the meeting with no questions asked." 

"Have you read the script after the meeting?"

A pause. "I haven't... actually had the time to review it. I was juggling a few projects of my own that I didn't really go through it yet, and given the circumstance that I thought maybe sunbae would finish the filming on his own..."

"We understand, Ji PD-nim, it's alright." The representative of the executives replied. "I hope you're doing well after the news. It must be difficult for you as well to handle everything after the burial." 

"Thank you for your consideration," he sighed. "We appreciated your presence as well during the burial. It warmed our hearts that you cared a lot for Noh PD." 

"He may have given us all a hea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter