The End

The Art of Letting You Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I had all and then most of you
Some and now none of you..."

Seoul, South Korea.

May 2024.

It was midnight when Ji Chang Wook finished the last shot for a major production, and everyone was already ready to pack up and leave for the night. Despite the summer heat that transpired throughout the setting, everyone still pushed through with the shoot, especially the two leads that were wearing stuffy clothes for the scene. As everyone took pictures with each other and hugged everyone on set, Chang Wook feels nothing but relief in his muscles and in his bones. It took them a good eight months to finish the shoot, since it involved different mishaps and other production edits that they had to bear somehow, and luckily enough, the movie pushed through and ended in a high note. One thing that he wasn’t really used to, however, was the fact that he was shouldering an entire production on his back compared to him being just an assistant director before, considering how most of his works are getting more and more recognized that different writers would beg to work with him, as well as other directors would ask him for a bit of help or a little blessing in their works, since his visions and his works were getting more critically-acclaimed as they years went by. There was always a certain hype to his works, and it only heightened whenever the production would include a star-studded line-up. His works all had his signature feel to it that the masses loved, and it only grew when he worked on more and more projects as time goes by. 

In this case, it was also his way to keep himself from feeling other emotions, other than fatigue and numbness. Sure, he was happy at some days, but even before he revels on the sadness that crawls onto his skin, he’s back on his feet to work until his body gave out, making sure that he wouldn’t feel anything else. He thought that it was good as well that he was just tiring himself out until he slept without any worries. It was a coping mechanism that he got used to for so long, and nobody in the production ever dared to question him for one bit about it, knowing how he’ll react once someone brings it up. Project, after project, after project, he did everything just to ease his emotions.

But tonight, he feels relief as the entire production crew celebrates, hollering and clapping at each other, as well as bowing in respect for a job well done. The actors as well went over to their teams and applaud them for a job well done for eight months of filming, patting them on their backs and hugging them for going through every part of the project with such determination. The crew also went to PD Ji, giving him warm smiles and a few half-hugs for his work, knowing how stressful it was for him to carry the entire project on his back. The team then asks for a group photo, setting a camera on a tripod and giving everyone a chance to assemble themselves. PD Ji positions himself by the bottom of the picture with a bright smile, and hollers and claps of happiness erupt once more in the group as the camera clicks for a few pictures. PD Ji sighed to himself as he watched the people happily work as they packed up, and he packed his things as well, from his mask to his headphones. In the midst of it all, the familiar clicking of someone’s heels on the pavement made him slow down his pace a bit. 

“PD-nim.” Kim Ahn Mi, the lead actress of the movie spoke with a light tone towards him, the light sway of her slim body making the skirt of her purple chiffon dress flutter in the night.

“Ahn Mi-ssi.” He flashed a warm smile. “Anything I can help you with?”

“I just…” She started. “I wanted to thank you for guiding me for the past eight months. I’m very grateful for everything that you’ve done for me.”

“You were a great actress, Ahn Mi-ssi. You worked hard for this project, so thank you for your participation.” 

She smiled in response, nodding towards him. “If I may, if there’s ever a chance that I would work with you again, would you mind that?”

He chuckled. “Of course not. Everyone is welcome to work with me.”

“Oh,” She chuckled as well, just a bit stiffer than his own, though. “I just…If I may… Can I tell you something?”

“Of course.”

She took a deep breath before looking him straight in the eye. “Ji Chang Wook-ssi, I will be very honest with you right now that… I like you. I like you not only as a PD, but… I like you, as in I like you.”

He pressed his lips together, trying to put together the words he was about to say to her. “Ahn Mi-ssi…”

“It’s farfetched, I know.” She sighed. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s alright.” He nodded. “Ahn Mi-ssi…I’m sorry, but I cannot accept your feelings. I'm just not ready for anything yet, and… I just see you as a nice co-worker and nothing less. I don't want to lead you on or anything, but I'm honestly sorry that I don't feel the same way.”

Ahn Mi blinked as she pressed her lips together, nodding towards him. “I understand, PD-nim. Thank you for your time anyways.”

Chang Wook gave an apologetic smile towards her before she turned away from him, leaving him watching her silhouette disappear somewhere by her van, his heart slightly hurting for the woman walking away from him, knowing that he really can’t do anything about it even if he tried. Somehow, the crew didn’t seem to mind the exchange, since they’re too busy placing the last of the equipment into the truck near the set, signifying the end of shooting one of the many movies that he decided to accept in a span of 3 years. He decided to venture into movies instead of dramas, given that it had large production values, but with a solid plot that could run for a short time, something that he could easily work with. Speaking of which, he thought about the next projects that he was considering laying by his coffee table in his living room as he went on his bike and strapping in his things, but not before a text message stops him.

He wants to see you.

He pressed his lips together before placing his helmet and speeding off from the set. He moves through the familiar streets and corners, going through the blocks to stop by the large glass building, the aura of urgency still in the air even at this time of the night as the nurses and the paramedics rush a new patient out of the ambulance through the emergency room beside the main entrance of the hospital. He greets the security personnel as he walks into the building and moved to the familiar route to the room number he knew by heart. A knock on the door, before he turned the handle, the hinges of the door slightly creaking from his entrance. 

"Sunbae?" He whispered. "Sunbae, it's me, Wook." 

"Wook-ah?" His senior croaked. 

If Chang Wook had to owe every single bit of his works, his techniques, and his success in directing films and dramas, it would be to Noh Jeon Hyung. The man was known to be one of the most respected directors in the industry, and even Chang Wook feels as if he doesn't deserve to be basking in the presence of a man like him. Although he had those thoughts, Jeon Hyung still showered him with lessons and praises so much that news outlets would name Chang Wook his protegé, or "The Next Noh Jeon Hyung", or anything along those lines. But somehow, Chang Wook doesn't really see him as his mentor, but more of a friend who listened and guided him all throughout his life, and more importantly, a father that loved him even in his worst days. Now that he's seeing him in this fragile condition as he laid on his bed, a hospital gown covering his stick-thin figure, it feels as if his heart could break like the last time he saw him. 

"It's me," he whispered as he tried to suppress a sigh from leaving his lips. "I'm here, sunbae."

"It took you long enough." He wheezed, giving him a weak slap in the fac

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter