the hufflepuff heart.

The Heir
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

⠀⠀Sehun was quite used to people whispering and staring at him as he walked down the halls, but it was worse than ever this year.

⠀⠀Usually, Sehun never actually cared what people said about him. Many of his professors had asked the students to stop, but Sehun never did himself. Sehun saw it as an act of heroism, where they were whispering about him rather than those undeserving of such cruelty.

⠀⠀"Do you think he's going to be another one of those freak Slytherin that attacks Gryffindor?"

⠀⠀"Possibly! Do you remember that one kid that did it... twenty-some years ago?"

⠀⠀"No way, that was a Gryffindor trying to frame Slytherin. You know, I wouldn't put it past Sehun if it was Hoseok who struck himself."

⠀⠀"How could you say that? Hoseok's a great student and a great Quidditch player. I bet Madame Hwang loves having Hoseok on the Quidditch team, she always gets business in the infirmary after a Gryffindor game!"

⠀⠀Sehun sighed and stuffed his hands into the pockets of his robe. Maybe it was because of the odd feeling in the pit of his stomach, but the whispers were finally getting to him. Or maybe it was because Sehun never actually struck Hoseok. Or maybe it was because this wasn't about how Sehun was a rich, pompous pureblood, but because he was a rich, pompous pureblood Slytherin. Sehun never actually cared what people thought that him being a pureblood meant anything to the "stick in the " behaviour he had, because it was true, purebloods tended to have their head up their own to hear other people's opinions. But Wendy was a Slytherin, and Wendy wasn't evil. She did strike Hoseok, sure, but that wasn't for no reason.

⠀⠀Sehun's mind was clouded with thoughts as he shuffled down the steps into the Slytherin dungeon, probably the worst place in the palace that of course, the Slytherins had to be in. The air was cold and misty, the floor was sometimes moist when it rained too hard, and this was England, so it rained all the time. The Slytherins students were the Hades of the Hogwart's palace, banished to the Underworld just for choosing the shortest straw. The dungeon wasn't all that bad, but it was so far away from the mighty Gryffindor and Ravenclaw towers. 

⠀⠀A clap on the shoulder and Sehun's train of thought derailed.

⠀⠀"You should be an astronaut what with how much time you spend in the stars." Taeyong, one of the other Slytherin 7th year students, snickered. Taeyong the only other male 7th year Slytherin student this year, and Sehun appreciated that Taeyong didn't really expect Sehun to be his friend. They hung out when Wendy was sick, sure, or when Taeyong just wanted some good ol' Slytherin buddy-buddy time. Taeyong mostly hung out with Hansol and Namjoon, two genius Ravenclaw students. Taeyong easily could've made it into Ravenclaw himself, if it wasn't for his cunning intelligence and dodgy thoughts. 

⠀⠀"What's... an astronaut?" Sehun often did this, especially around Taeyong. Played dumb. Of course, he knew what an astronaut was. Taeyong just really liked it when Sehun didn't know something, and Taeyong knew it. Sehun knew a lot of muggle trivia, for a pureblood.

⠀⠀"They are sent into space in really big tin cans. They study what it's really like to be on stars, planets, and moons." Taeyong shook his head, a fond smile playing on his lips and he pinched Sehun's cheek, who pulled away. "Don't you like astronomy? You should know this.

⠀⠀I know what it is. 

⠀⠀"It's silly to pursue a career in astronomy since I will probably just follow my father's footsteps."

⠀⠀Taeyong tilted his head to a side, almost like a dog when hearing a strange noise. "What does your father do anyways?"

⠀⠀Sehun made an audible sound of relief when Wendy interrupted their conversation with her bright smile and charming chuckle. Taeyong gave him a playful pout and mumbled something about Sehun not wanting to hang out with him anymore, and parted ways, leaving Sehun and Wendy alone.

⠀⠀Pretty much the entire Slytherin house that has been here for more than a year knows that Sehun did not strike Hoseok. Sehun assumed Wendy told them, but she swore to him that she didn't breathe a word to them. They know Sehun's character well enough to know that Sehun wouldn't hurt Hoseok even if Hoseok struck him first. Sehun not only at dueling but at taking initiative and could probably get beaten to a pulp before deciding to actually strike someone.

⠀⠀"What's up?" Sehun inquired after Wendy lead them to a secluded corner in the common room, where no one could hear them. He leaned back against a wall and let her sit down in the chair next to the fireplace, but she stayed standing.

⠀⠀"So, you know how much you love my ideas?"

⠀⠀"I know how much I do, yes, the broken arm I had back when we were 7 says he loves them lots!"

⠀⠀"That was your fault," Wendy rolled her eyes, and Sehun scoffed. "Anyways, since you love my ideas so much, I decided that you should take this idea not only into consideration but into action. It's a pretty great idea!"

⠀⠀"Wendy," Sehun spoke, soft, raising his brows to urge her to go on. "Please get to the point. The grass around the bush has been beaten enough."

⠀⠀Wendy sighed, and looked down momentarily, but then looked back up at him with a bright smile, ear to ear. "I was thinking you should join the Quidditch team!"

⠀⠀Sehun snorted. "You must be joking."

⠀⠀"I'm not!" She gave him a glare and shook her head furiously. "I really hate Hoseok after what happened on the train, and I was thinking that what way to get back at him than to take apart his senior year than to ruin his 5 year Quidditch cup streak. Our wonderful Slytherin Prefect, Oh Sehun?" 

⠀⠀Sehun shook his head, standing up straight and putting a hand on her shoulder. "Wendy, you know that I love you, as we've been friends for probably longer than I remember, but you do know that I have absolutely no experience with Quidditch?"

⠀⠀Wendy looked away from him and muttered something that for sure, only he could hear. "That's not true, your mother..."

⠀⠀"And that's exactly why I don't want to play Quidditch." There was a firmness in his tone that most never really heard, and he was sure Wendy has only heard it less than a handful of times. "It's just not my thing. My thing is hanging out in the shadows with you or Taeyong, not getting beaten to a pulp by some witty Gryffindor students. May I remind you that the Quidditch team has the biggest people on their team?"

⠀⠀"But, Roseanne is the captain?"

⠀⠀"She's an exception." Sehun sighed and leaned away from Wendy. "I can't do it, Wendy, I can't."

⠀⠀"I know that there is some sentiment behind it because of your mother and all but... You're so good at it. You've been playing it since we were young, and I know you still practice it sometimes. I know because I was the one who got you back up on the broom. Your mother would be so proud of you. You're an exce

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter