Her Wish

Just One More Wish

                Seungwan's footsteps echoed in the dark alley, her shoes getting more soaking wet by every step as she encountered inevitable puddles. Her hair was still wet from running through the heavy rain that had stopped a few minutes before she reached her final destination.
                It was strange to find herself in that place again - and yet, it felt so right, like life had made her a path to that cold alley where she found unexpected warmth.
                As she reached the dead end, a figure awaited her in the same corner she always used to be.
                It was her.
                Joohyun.
                "... So." She started, still facing the bricks in the wall. "You came back."
                "I did." The girl nodded, even though she knew the other couldn't see her gesture.
                There was a pregnant pause before one of them spoke again, an invisible wall of tension built between the two. Truth was... Seungwan had no idea on what to say. There were so many things inside her head that she wanted to tell her, but it seemed that words couldn't describe any of it.
                "Why?" She finally asked, fighting the urge to turn around and look at the girl behind her in the eyes. Those eyes were too dangerous - even for a witch like her. "Weren't those items enough?"
                There was a hint of hurt in her words that made Seungwan's heart ache, her chest heavy from all the feelings left untouched and unspoken.
                "What makes you think that I came back for another wish?"
                The corner witch chuckled bitterly at her question.
                "Humans are all the same. They ask for more and more, trading small things for objects that hold our magic. They are never satisfied. And , in the end, what are we witches left with? Not much. Not even our magic, sometimes. I reach, by that logic, the conclusion that you came to ask for more. After all, you're a human."
                Seungwan thought of her answer for a bit, biting her lower lip in anxiousness.
                That was only one of the many habits from the girl that drove the witch crazy, how her teeth sinked into soft flesh. Good things she wasn't watching it, or else she might have gotten even weaker at the human's presence.
                "If I really think about it... Yes, I came to ask for something, in a way."
                Joohyun sighs.
                "I knew it." Her words sounded broken, just like her heart. When would witches learn that one couldn't trust a human with their hearts? Hearts so fragile, mostly made of pure magic essence, ones that humans would abuse of without a second thought.
                Reluctantly, she turned to the girl behind her, facing her properly. She regretted her decision the very moment her eyes laid on the human's, eyes that stared expectantly at the witch. She couldn't quite tell what made her weaker - if it was the way Seungwan's chest rose up and fell down almost seemlessly, short of breath by the recent running, a breathing movement she found oddly attactive that was present in most of her daydreams about the girl; how drops of rain water fell from her hair to her silky skin, skin Joohyun wanted to feel against her own; her lips, still slightly parted and seeming to look for unspoken words, smooth rosy skin the witch craved to discover how it tasted, like it was made just for to explore - there were many things in Seungwan that made her feel things she wasn't supposed to.
                Way too many for her liking.
                But she was a witch, and the girl, a human.
                They lived in two different worlds and were driven by two different motives: as humans, their own ambitions; as witches, the others' ambitions.
                She waited for her to speak up, but the other girl still only looked at her quietly, making her naive heart silly enough to believe that she had just seen Seungwan looking at in the same way she'd look at hers. With want.  
                "What do you want now, Seungwan?" She tried to sound as nonchalant as possible. The faster the human went away, the faster the witch's heart would go back to healing itself.
                "... It's rather complicated. It's a big wish this time."
                "What else could you want?" Frustration painted her words. "I already gave you many things that were supposed to indulge your human desires. First, I gave you my coat-"
                "That would never let me be cold again, as long as used it every night, yes, I remember. But you know how that went. I didn't feel cold because of the weather. That feeling of coldness is something that a coat could never get rid off." And even thought it couldn't, Seungwan still remembers how warm it felt to have that sweet scent invading her nostrils every time she went to sleep - a scent only Joohyun had.
                "Then, I gave you my most precious ring. You'd rub it and be free of worries."
                "And I was... for some time. Eventually, worries came back."
                The witch sighed.
                "I gave you my necklace, that would provide you protection anywhere you went."
                "But it made me feel even lonelier by the way people stayed away."
                "Finally, I gave you a simple teddy bear, that when hugged, would make you feel like you were never alone."
                "That one you can guess."
                "... However, it didn't compare to a real, living being beside you."
                "Bingo." She gave her a tired snort. "And that, Joohyun, is my last wish."
                "What?" The witch's head tilted in confusion.
                "Warmth that comes from a body, not from a coat. Someone who'll make worries... well, not exactly disappear, but will make me forget about them with their loving actions and caring words. Company for my most lonely days, until lonely days don't even exist anymore. Someone who's not a teddy bear but a breathing person instead."
                "You want me to give you a person to love?" Joohyun's eyes looked down, her chest burning in types of pain witches weren't made to feel - yet, felt them every time a human had their hearts in their hands like Seungwan had hers. "I cannot make a person appear, Seungwan, nor can I make a human fall for another. Besides, it really is a big wish. Common objects couldn't be exchanged for that many magic, even if I could indeed do it."
                Confusion striked the witch again as Seungwan's glance softened, eyes meeting hers - those dangerous, dangerously loving and dangerously loveable human eyes.  The girl smiled.
                "Not even if I payed you with myself?"
                "What do you mean?" Her heart beated faster as the human approached her, one more very dangerous step that could make Joohyun taut with anxiousness in ways she couldn't explain. They were so close that she could feel the girl's breathing on her skin. It was terrifying how it made her body tremble, even if she was a powerful witch and the girl only a human. Weak and with no magic in her favor... but still holded so much power over the corner witch.
                "What I've been trying to say is..." Seungwan started, trying to find the perfect words. Joohyun freezed as she felt gentle fingers caressing the skin of her cheek. She wanted to hold it with her own hand, feel the warmth of her skin in as many places possible, but she was so afraid. She was afraid to let her heart be shattered by a human, a witch's worst fear. What if that affection was just a thing from her head? If it wasn't real? If her own magic had tricked her into thinking that, maybe, for the first time in forever, a witch's wish would be the one coming true? "My last wish is you, Joohyun."
                She felt her knees week as the girl finished her sentence, her words much more powerful than any of her magic could ever be. It felt like she was about to fall down, but only tears fell instead, shimmering silver paths marking the skin of her cheeks. A witch's tears could contain just as many magic concentrated as in any of her spells or bewitched objects - and, in that moment, Joohyun's tears held as many magic as all of the objects Seungwan had received combined.
                "Seungwan..." The witch could barely talk as the tears wouldn't stop falling.
                "Why are you crying, Hyun-ah?" Her voice came out in a soft whisper.
                "B-Because..." She mumbled. "I never thought that a witch's wish could come true. Yet, here you are, telling me that."
                "Was that your wish all along?"
                "My first and only one."
                Seungwan's smile widened, her hands pulling the crying witch by the hips so she'd be even closer to her.
                "Then let me grant it for you." She said, and Joohyun could feel her breathing closer than ever, against the skin of her lips, reminding her of a desire she was so close to satiating. "But... like every witch does when granting wishes, I'll have to ask for something in return."
                "What is it?"
                "A simple kiss will do."
                Joohyun smiled from ear to ear.
                No more words were necessary, both of them letting their bodies sink into the sweet sensation of tasting each other's lips for the first time as the witch closed the gap between the two.
                Never had it ever occurred for two wishes to be granted in a situation like that - witch and human, together.
                With no magic, the corner witch had made come true all of the girl's most wanted wishes - and hers too.

                And truth be told;
                Nothing had ever felt so right.




 



A/N: One short story I wrote last night to relieve stress, and I hope that you all enjoyed it. I'll have an important test tomorrow and next week too. After that, I'll be able to write with much more frequency again. Wish me luck!
- Lou