Chapter 4

There´s Something About You

Kyungsoo was surprised to say the least. He had talk to Chanyeol on the phone, but he was skeptical, he though that maybe Chanyeol was just playing and he was not going to actually come to the meeting. But here they were, seated at an empty classroom, face to face after so many years.

Chanyeol had a hard expression on his face, and Kyungsoo refused to meet the other boy’s eyes. He was embarrassed, not only they didn’t ended things on good terms, but now Kyungsoo was asking favors out of the other boy, like nothing had happened.

“I´m in” said Chanyeol, voice flat and cold.

Kyungsoo glanced at Chanyeol, unable to mask his confusion. The other boy was just looking at him as if he had better places to be.

“Why would you do it? Just walk away” This was not the time to be arrogant or to pretend to be confident, in fact Kyungsoo was desperate, but he was sure that Chanyeol had better things to do, it was stupid of him to ask in first place, although the other boy had accepted.

Chanyeol rolled his eyes and said “I want to do it”

“You don’t have to”

“I will do it, when will I have a chance like this again? You’re one of a kind idiot director” Kyungsoo scoffed “So, I am in”

Kyungsoo was going to point out some good reason as to why Chanyeol should not accept to participate, even though the whole point of being here was for Chanyeol to accept participating, but, oh well, Kyungsoo was good at self-sabotaging. However, he didn’t even have time to open his mouth to retort, because Baekhyun came running through the door being as loud as ever. He was probably listening to their conversation through the door, and Kyungsoo could not say he was surprised.

“Thank you! Thank you!” Said Baekhyun rushing to Chanyeol side. He had some documents in his hands. He put some papers  in front of Chanyeol and handed him a pen “That’s good, now sign here” Baekhyun pointed his finger in the blank space. “Sign before you change of opinion, I had this running guarantee prepared for you” he laughed out loud and gave a thumbs ups in Kyungsoo direction.

Chanyeol read the document and signed the paper Baekhyun just handed to him and said, “I’m not expecting much” he looked bored “I’m going, get in touch with me to schedule the next meeting” he pushed the paper in Kyungsoo direction and grabbed his coat to leave.

 

Baekhyun was happy and Kyungsoo could understand why, but he was feeling defeated. He felt like if something was off and he could not quite place the reason. Maybe it was because after all the time and the things that had happen in between him and Chanyeol, they had to meet again for something like this. And Kyungsoo felt that is was his responsibility, above everything that had happened between them, he was the director of the production and he needed to act as such.

Kyungsoo grabbed the signed guarantee and stranded up. “Park Chanyeol!” he said loudly.

Chanyeol turned around and when their eyes locked Kyungsoo ripped the paper in half and then in smaller pieces letting it fall to the floor. Never breaking eye contact.

Baekhyun gasped.

“Running guarantees are not only for the actor but also for the whole staff, you can have my word” Kyungsoo was feeling brave although Baekhyun would call it being stupid, “Not only that, we will give you an official offer, five thousand” he paused to catch Chanyeol reaction, but the boy was just standing still, “I know this is not even twenty percent of your regular rate and I know your value in the film market far exceeds what we are offering you, but we will compensate you accordingly”

Baekhyun sighted but Kyungsoo was not paying attention to him so he just keep going, “in the professional world that’s a guarantee” he then turned to look at Baekhyun and said to him “Draft another contract”

Chanyeol raised an eyebrow, locking eyes with Kyungsoo, he could see the determination in his eyes and it was stupid, but it made Chanyeol smile “Sure, I’ll see you at our next meeting.” He then exited the room leaving Baekhyun and Kyungsoo alone.

None of them wanted to be the first to talk, Baekhyun because eventhood he should be angry, he could understand his best friend. And Kyungsoo was just embarrassed, because no matter how much he wanted to actor professional, he knew that what he offered to Chanyeol would depend completely on professor Jung and the boar, he had practically offered something that they were not even sure they will have.

And just like that, Kyungsoo facade of bravery shattered, he looked down at the ripped paper and kneeled in front of the small pile. He started to collect the tinny pieces in an attempt at fixing what he had done. Baekhyun walked to sit in front of his friend, the ripped paper in between them.

“Baekhyun, why did I say that?” Baekhyun didn’t respond, instead he grabbed a piece of paper and started to help Kyungsoo in the attempt to put the contract back together. Both knew it was futile and stupid to even try.

“Why did I do?”

Baekhyun leaned forward and hugged his legs, then he started to gently rocking back and forth. “Let’s get part-time jobs. I have some money”

“Why… why did I do that?”

Baekhyun sighed and cracked a tiny smile at his best friend, it was a stupid thing to do, but he could understand. After all they were in this together, “You crazy idiot” he put a comforting hand of his friend shoulder and Kyungsoo immediately relaxed.

+++

This was the second time in less than three days that Baekhyun and Kyungsoo were in this situation. Sited next to each other in the black leather couch of the board director office, professor Jung.

“Wow, I didn’t think you’d actually get him. Did he really agree?”

Baekhyun and Kyungsoo said nothing as the man kept talking “that’s amazing he never even attended any of the school functions after the rumors, that’s impressive”

Although Kyungsoo was also impressed at the situation, he didn’t have time to waste, they had to pay Chanyeol and arrange for the production to start, the faster the better. So, he said “Yes, now can you please collect the funding from the board as you promised”

“Oh, I already talked to the school board, they said no” said proffer Jung bluntly.

This was definitely a joke, right? It had to be, Kyungsoo though.

He glanced at Baekhyun, but the other boy was just opening and closing his mouth in an attempt to say something.  

“So, you were never planning on giving us the money” said Kyungsoo, his voice was almost a whisper.

“The budget is decided at the beginning of the year, there’s nothing I can do to change that”

“I can’t believe this!”  Baekhyun said standing up, he raised his hands and began to walk around the room.

“You knew my history with Park Chanyeol” Kyungsoo raised his hands to his mouth in an shock expression, “that’s why you said we should cast him right?” his voice was accusatory, things were starting to make sense now.

“Of course, I knew you were friends and all” said professor Jung and Kyungsoo could only stare at him in disbelief.  “But, hey! We can provide the equipment and the staff.”

“But what about the money?” the equipment was already set to be provided anyway, and the staff was good news, but the important thing here was the money.

Kyungsoo wanted to say so many things, about how they were promised the money and all, but there was no need for him to say anything. Baekhyun walked back to the couch and started to say

“You promised to give us the money for the movie if we cast Park Chanyeol, an A-list actor… you said it yourself!” Baekhyun pointed his finger at professor Jung, it was probably rude but right at that moment, he didn’t care.

“Shh! Don’t yell, someone might hear you. I promised, pro-mi-sed not guaranteed that I will ask for a reassessment and that’s what I did!” said professor Jung, like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

Baekhyun sat down, there was nothing more to say. Kyungsoo wanted to be angry, but he was mostly sad, the disappointment evident on his face.

“All your seniors have funded their own movies, is not that hard, you already casted Park Chanyeol, now do the rest”

++++

“Okay, this is what we are going to do” said Baekhyun. They were walking form professor Jung’s office. “You call Chanyeol and explain. Say that is was all a funny joke.”

Kyungsoo only nodded, after the talk with professor Jung, he felt drained. They had to get the money to pay Chanyeol and it seemed almost impossible.

“Sure, do I look funny to you?” said Kyungsoo, his face was stoic. “I should have never promised anything!”

Baekhyun raised his hands to give a side hug to his friend, and Kyungsoo just let him, he didn’t have the force to refuse and right now he appreciated his friend efforts to comfort him.

They were walking down the stairs when Baekhyun noticed someone tapping a poster to the news board. “Hey look”

Kyungsoo speed walked to see the poster, that board was used to hang news and mostly signs for jobs.

The poster read Looking for Part timers! Go to the administrative offices of the film building for more information.

They both graved the poster and ripped it from the board, they looked at each other and started running to the administrative offices, after all it was just in the floor below.

When they arrived they immediately asked for information on the jobs.

“It will be physical work” said the secretary.

“That means they will pay us more?”

“six dollars the hour”

“Oh well, there goes my dreams”

“You don’t want it?” asked the secretary with a raise of the brow.

“Of course, we do” Baekhyun said quickly.

“Alright then, I will give you all the information” the secretary raised from her chair and started looking for some papers, he then returned with two contracts in hand, “look, is actually very easy, the department is planning to reconstruct the park that is between building c and d so we are cleaning the area and making some ditches to install some sculptures, benches, games and some plants. So, what you will have to do is help the construction team with whatever they need. We already have other students helping, but with the juniors having finals approaching, we are losing hands.”

“We can start immediately!” Baekhyun said, voice overly excited considering they were not going to be given an easy job.

“You can start tomorrow morning” the secretary handed them the papers “read this and then sign if you agree. Here is also the information of the documents you will have to bring, you have one week to collect it all. We will pay you at the end of each week”

“Thank you” Said Kyungsoo and Baekhyun at the same time, they bowed and exited the office.

The job included physical work, the secretary had said, and the two boys were definitely not used to do this kind of stuff, so it will be difficult.

“I think it will be good” Baekhyun pushed Kyungsoo slightly on the shoulder, “Is better than other things”

“What other things?” Kyungsoo rolled his eyes, “Don’t try to make things look better”

“Hey, things are truly not that bad. I have some money saved, and you can also get something.”

“Okay”

“You should call Chanyeol”

Kyungsoo remained silent for a few more second, “I will” He didn’t want to see Chanyeol so soon, and definitely not to the deliver the bad news to the other boy. After his attempt at being cool and all, he will just be seen as a big fool.

“Kyungsoo, I … “Baekhyun started, but he was interrupted by his friend.

“You don’t have to say anything. I will call him and you know Chanyeol, he will not be mad.”

“I am not really worried about him. I know what I said about you wasting your time, but I don’t want you to feel pressured about all this” Baekhyun placed his arm around Kyungsoo shoulders.

“Okay, thanks” Kyungsoo gave Baekhyun a small smile, the other boy started laughing about loud and tried giving Kyungsoo a crushing hug, only to be pushed away. But he kept laughing obnoxiously and Kyungsoo couldn’t help but to laugh with him, after all they were in this together.