Chapter 3

There´s Something About You

Chanyeol jumped, his alarm began to blast at full volume from his phone. He tried to set the alarm off, but only managed to drop his phone to the floor. After two more attempts, he was finally able to turn the alarm off.

 

He was not greatly coordinated in the mornings -or ever-  especially if he had, probably, only sleep 3 hours. He looked at his phone, it was 6.30 am.  Chanyeol had a morning class at 8 am but waking up at 6.30 gave him the perfect amount of time to get ready and walk to his class, he liked to wake up with enough time to walk slowly and wander in campus, he liked to do that, it helped to ease his mind. But right now, that he had only gotten 3 hours of sleep, waking up earlier than needed seemed like a terrible decision.

 

I should just stay inside, I don’t even need to attend that class, it is not as important, Chanyeol though. But, it would also mean more work and probably less points.

 

The day was cold as it was usually in November, the wind was strong outside and overall, it was just the perfect day to stay inside his tiny apartment and drink hot chocolate while watching a movie or just listening to music. But he was not going to give in to the temptation. Chanyeol was convinced, although weakly, that going to that class was the best option. He started to get ready and dressed himself for the cold weather.

 

As he stepped outside, Chanyeol immediately regretted it, he could still turn around and walk back inside, but then he would have gotten ready for nothing. He tightened his scarf around his neck and started go walk. Chanyeol was feeling tired, and the dark circles under his eyes were a clear indication, his feet felt heavy and his hair was a mess of curls, but he didn’t care.

 

Yesterday Chanyeol had been waiting for an important call, he had send a video audition for an upcoming drama. His professor has suggested it and Chanyeol decided to give it a try. It was not the first time he decided to give a try for an audition, actually, that had been his one hundredth try and also his one hundredth rejection. The more he though about it, the sadder he became, and the less willing to go to class he was.

 

It could be a lot easier to just give in and skip the class and instead grab a cup of hot chocolate. He was not going to pay much attention anyway and he disliked that class, his ideas clashed with the one of his professor and there was nothing to de done, so yeah, Chanyeol though, let’s just grab a cup of hot chocolate and go back to the apartment.

 

He stopped walking and looked around, he was in one of the busier streets, and there were many stores around. Chanyeol remembered that his friends from the acting department had talked about a coffee shop that was near that street, he had always wanted to take a look but never had a chance, so he decided to head there.

 

Chanyeol walked for about 20 minutes, the coffee shop was not that far from where he had stopped, but he decided to give in to a little sigh seeing. Not many people were outside at this hour, since it was early and cold, most people were inside stores or probably still sleeping as he also wanted to be.

 

He finally arrived at the place, there was a wooden board on the sidewalk that read Cinema Coffee. The place was small and he would have probably missed if it were not for the board. Chanyeol went inside. The coffee shop was warm and cozy, there were a bunch of sofas and tables scattered around, and a small stage in the front with a white screen covering the wall. The counter was in the opposite end.

 

He took out his coat and sat down on one of the couches that was the farthest form the stage. There was as sign near the front that read: Today Black Pearl by Kim Minseok, in 5 minutes. Chanyeol had no idea that he was going to arrive just in time to watch one of his favorite movies, he was happy and the fact the he had not initially planned any of this made the experience a lot more interesting.

 

When the movie started, the place was not empty but most sits were unoccupied, people just entered to order something and then leave, and the ones that were already seated were not many. The cafe remained silent with only the sound from the movie and the occasionally opening and closing of the front door as people came in and out, the atmosphere was quite nice.

 

Black Pearl was a good movie in Chanyeol´s opinion. The first time he had watch it, was when Chanyeol was 14 and the movie had just recently come out. It had been Kim Minseok second production and it gained more success than of what anyone could have predicted. Kim Minseok was young, a new and inexperienced director at that time, and that movie had launched him to be recognized as a genius in the cinematic industry. Black Pearl won many awards and all the movies that came after were even more successful. When Chanyeol first watched the movie, he had been inspired to act, so it was an important movie for him.

 

Although he was paying close attention to the movie, Chanyeol was also observing the people around, it was something he did all the time. Many people inside the shop were absorb into the movie, but some of them, like the old ladies besides Chanyeol, were sleeping.

 

When the movie was halfway, the door to the café opened with a loud bang, probably someone had opened the door and the force of the air form outside had caused it to crash against the wall. Chanyeol turned his head to see and the majority of the people seated at the tables and sofas, were also watching the boy that had caused the commotion. The boy was covered with a big scarf and his cheeks were tinted pink form the cold outside, he looked a bit embarrassed probably from the loud entrance. The boy waved his hand in the direction of the counter, probably to one of the employers, and walked quickly to sit down on a couch near the small stage were the movie was being projected.

 

Chanyeol thought it was a bit funny, he also though that the other boy face looked familiar. They had probably seen each other around. Maybe he was from the same college as Chanyeol, or from some acting club? Probably younger.

 

When the movie was over, the other boy raised from his seat and walked to the counter. Chanyeol was curious and wanted to talk to the boy and he also wanted to order something because he had watched all the movie without ordering a drink, and it would be rude to leave without ordering something. So Chanyeol walked to the counter thinking of nice and non-creepy ways to say hi.

 

Luckily, no one had formed in the line behind the boy, so Chanyeol was able to approach him. The boy was already ordering.

 

 “One cup of hot chocolate to go” said the boy at the cashier.

 

Chanyeol stepped besides him and said “Make it two, please”

 

The boy was much shorter than Chanyeol and when he glanced down to see his reaction, the boy was glaring. Chanyeol felt awkward so he clarified, “It’s cheaper if you buy two” he said shyly, the other boy said nothing so Chanyeol pointed to the sign at the top of the counter, “See, if you buy two, the second one is half the price, so we can divide the total” he took some money from his pocket and gave it to the cashier “Here”

 

Oh well, that had probably been creepy, the total opposite of what Chanyeol was trying to achieve. The other boy looked awkward and just nodded. Chanyeol was feeling stupid, he was just trying to be friendly, but he knew that sometimes he came out way to strong.

 

The other boy also took some money from his wallet and handed it to the cashier without saying anything more. The cashier confirmed their order with a wide grin on his lips “Two hot chocolates coming right away!”

 

They moved to the other side of the counter to wait for their drinks. Chanyeol wanted to say something, try to make the moment less awkward. He was usually good with people but today was not his best day and besides it seemed as if his actions had made the other boy uncomfortable.

 

“Uhmm… so did you enjoy the movie?” Chanyeol guessed that it was a safe and nice conversation starter. He looked at the boy eager to hear him, although a bit nervous the other boy might just cut off his efforts on starting a conversation, and he will totally accept that, but Chanyeol also hopped that the boy will talk to him.

 

The boy was wearing thick framed glasses and his expression was stoic and for a second Chanyeol though he was going to be ignored, but then the boy said “Oh, sure it was nice”

 

Chanyeol got his response, but the boy was probably not interested in maintaining the conversation. It’s okay, Chanyeol thought.

 

He was about to apologize when the other boy spook again. “Um, I didn’t watch it completely but I guess it was okay”

 

“Oh man, it’s one of Kim Minseok best productions!”  

 

“Maybe” the other boy said, his face was expressionless, but if he was talking then it was probably a good sign. “The story was interesting, but I like some of his other movies more”

 

Chanyeol smiled, he really enjoyed talking about movies, it was one of his favorite topics of conversation.  “I really like all of his movies, they are so good”

 

“I have seen some of them, and some are pretty good, I guess” Although most of the boy face was covered by the tick scarf he had draped around his neck, Chanyeol could still see the small smile that formed on his lips. He couldn’t help it, he had to smile back.

 

“Definitely, he is not South Korea’s best movie director for nothing, right?”

 

“I would not call him the best, but I guess he is in the top 5 or something” said the other boy as he adjusted his glasses.

 

“Okay” Chanyeol shrugged, “Of course there are some other amazing director out there, I will be satisfied with the top 3 at least” Chanyeol raised 3 of his fingers to empathize.

 

The other boy adjusted the scarf around his neck and smiled again, “Sure, I can give you that”

 

“I think you should watch all of his movies, at least 3 times.” Said Chanyeol jokingly.

 

“Yeah maybe I will, I have a friend that is a huge fan of Kim Minseok, he is always marathoning his movies”

 

“Then, I think I like your friend” said Chanyeol in a playful voice.

 

The other boy laughed out loud at that, it was a nice sound. “He is okay, but he has a huge crush on Kim Minseok.”

 

“Well, who doesn’t?”

 

The boy was smiling and Chanyeol ears turned a light shade of pink, the conversation was progressing and he was sure the awkward aura was dissipating, or so he hopped.

 

“Yeah he is handsome” Said the other boy

 

“and talented” added Chanyeol, because that was obviously the most important.

 

“Let’s not forget he is also Korea’s best movie director”

 

“Yeah!” Chanyeol raised his arms. “I told, I am glad you are coming around” He was aware that the other boy was just playing, but it was fun.

 

Chanyeol was about to ask for the boy’s name, and maybe introduce himself -something he had forgotten to do at the beginning, but they were suddenly interrupted by the barista shouting, “Two hot chocolates for Kyungsoo”

 

Well, now Chanyeol knew the boy was called Kyungsoo. And he could also tell the barista and Kyungsoo knew each other as the barista was looking at Kyungsoo with a devil grin on his lips.

 

“I am right here Sehun” Said Kyungsoo, massaging the bridge of his nose. “There was no need for you to shout in my face”

 

“That’s the procedure, I have to call the clients when their order is ready, just doing my job hyung” Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and graved his drink, Chanyeol did the same. And the other boy, Sehun, leaned on the counter and rested his face on both his hands. “So…”

 

“I don’t think Minho would like to see you slaking” said Kyungsoo raising his brow.

 

“He doesn’t care” said Sehun “Who is your friend hyung?” 

 

“Go back to work you brat” Kyungsoo said as he ruffled Sehun hair. The other boy just huffed and turned around to keep making orders. Kyungsoo then looked directly into Chanyeol eyes.

 

“Oh… so would you like to, I don’t know? Maybe would you like to keep talking” Chanyeol said, with a shy tone “… we can walk… or sit…or maybe like you know… just stay here standing… I don’t mind” He was flustered at his poor attempt to invite Kyungsoo to hang out. Now the other boy will think he is awkward and weird.

 

But much to Chanyeol relief, Kyungsoo just smiled at him and said “What?”

 

Chanyeol was definitely not portraying the image of a confident adult, but when have he ever been one? He just wanted to talk to the other boy, his nervousness was getting in the way, so he decided to make his best attempt at looking cool and confident, so he tried again.

 

“You know, maybe we can keep talking? By the way, my name is Park Chanyeol I think I have seen you around? From college maybe?”

 

“Maybe” Kyungsoo paused to sip at his chocolate “Do Kyungsoo, filming major. I am on my second year”

 

“Oh, I am a senior, acting major” Chanyeol smiled.

 

“And… I have time…we can walk around? If you don’t mind the cold?”

 

“Don’t worry this hot chocolate will prevent me from freezing” Chanyeol said as he adjusted his coat tightly around his body with his free hand. “hey, but don’t you have classes right now? Like I remember I had morning classes on my second year, but I don’t know”

 

“I do” Kyungsoo shrugged “but I decided not to go today”

 

“Yeah?” Chanyeol could related to that, after all that why he ended in the coffee shop “I am also supposed to be in class, but I got distracted and ended up here, I guess”

 

“Sure, this place is not even that close to college,”

 

“It was not premeditated, I didn’t even know this place existed. Well that is a lie, actually someone mentioned this place and I decided to have a look.” Chanyeol scraped his neck, “And well, yeah, I am also skipping class, obviously, because I don’t like that class.”

 

“I don’t think seniors should be skipping classes?”

 

“Well, let me tell you that my professor is a total jerk. I prefer to spend my mornings watching my favorite movie form my favorite director in a lovely coffee shop than going to his class. Besides this is the first time I skip.”

 

“That’s a good reason” Kyungsoo laughed.

 

“So, what is your excuse?”

 

“Well you see, this place has the best hot chocolate in town.” Said Kyungsoo, grinning as he took a sip from his hot chocolate.

 

“I think you can only say that if you have try all the hot chocolates in town”

 

“Maybe I have”

 

“But have you tried the hot chocolate I make? Is quite good, I think is a strong contestant for the best hot chocolate in town.”

 

Kyungsoo smiled his hearth shaped smile, and Chanyeol could not get quite enough of it, it was lovely.

 

“So, I am skipping classes all day today, and you?”

 

“If was planning to go back I would not have skip in first place, right?”

 

“Right” Chanyeol laughed at this “So, film, huh? I think is something that suits you” he took a sip of his hot chocolate “You definitely seem as the type to study film”

 

“Mm it’s that so”

 

“Totally” Kyungsoo turned to look at him, eyes wide at Chanyeol “You don’t look like the type of person that would work in an office” Kyungsoo hummed so Chanyeol kept going “I just can’t imagine it, just keep at film, you will do well”

 

“Thanks” Kyungsoo was laughing. He pulled his coat closer to his body. “I like it, it makes me feel happy” his voice was quieter when he said that, then he continued. “You also seem like the type to study acting”

 

“It’s because I am handsome, right.” Said Chanyeol, lips quirking in a tiny smile, he was confident in his looks.

 

Kyungsoo looked at him through his glasses, and huffed “Sure” he took another sip of his hot chocolate and said, “It’s that the reason you decided to study acting?”

 

“I was just joking, but yeah, at first it was because of that. I think I was like 14 and people kept telling me I was handsome and I guess I just liked the attention.” Chanyeol glanced in Kyungsoo direction and noticed the other boy was trying to hide his laugher behind his hands, but he was doing at awful job at that.

 

“It’s true” said Chanyeol “when I was I school, all the girls and boys will go watch me play football, they liked me”

 

“Alright” Kyungsoo was trying to kept a straight face at the other boy story, but he found everything too funny. “I will believe you”

 

“I can see it Kyungsoo, you don’t believe me, but it’s alright. I truly was handsome, still am.” They both laughed out loud at this, and Chanyeol felt happy that the other boy was laughing at his jokes.

 

“It started with that, it made me happy knowing that others were interested in me. Then I watched Black Pearl, I know you don’t think is the best, but the idea of acting in one of Kim Minseok’s movies made me even more motivated and I was 14, we always have wild dreams when we are young” Kyungsoo laughed because truly Chanyeol was still young he said.

 

Chanyeol pushed playfully at his shoulder and continued. “But with time I realized that I really like acting, it became part of me, and then I was accepted into this college, and I fell in love with it.”

 

“That’s nice” said Kyungsoo

 

“Yeah it is, but I think I might not be working that well”

 

Kyungsoo furrowed his brows “What do you mean?”

 

“well you see, I received a rejection call today”

 

“That doesn’t mean you are bad at acting”

 

“It was my one hundredth rejection call”

 

“Oh,” said Kyungsoo parting his mouth, he stopped walking and looked directly into Chanyeol eyes “That’s really cool” his face was devoid of any sing of sarcasm, Chanyeol almost tough he meant it, but it was an odd thing to say in that type of situation.0

 

“Are you making fun of me?” Chanyeol was just genuinely curious.

 

“No, I just think it’s cool that you tried 100 times, that just mean you really want it. I think you will do it” Chanyeol smiled at Kyungsoo, eyes creasing and mouth wide open, all his teeth on display. It was kind of cute.

 

“Then you should hire me for one of your movies”

 

“When I produce an amazing movie, I will give you a small role, I feel generous” said Kyungsoo with an air of nonchalance, he was obviously teasing Chanyeol.

 

“Are you kidding” he was trying to sound offended, but he only managed to say it in between giggles.

 

“No, I promise” Kyungsoo smiled.

 

Chanyeol decided that maybe skipping that class had been a good decision. He had tried 100 times already, and he will try a hundred time more if it mean that someday he will get a job in acting, Chanyeol was determined.