Chapter 1

There´s Something About You

Kyungsoo was watching a movie with his parents, his sister was sleeping on the couch next to them. The movie was not bad, it was the typical romantic comedy, and the acting was pretty decent, but it was getting in Kyungsoo’s nerves.

 

Maybe it was because of the main actor, Kyungsoo really wanted to hate him, to say something bad about his acting, but he couldn't. Even if the plot was cliché and the lines were cheesy, the actor was good. He was doing a good job at making the movie watchable. But even if the actor was good and all, Kyungsoo would never admit it out loud.

 

He fussing all alone since his mother seemed to be enjoying the movie and so was his father, it was not a surprise, since the whole Korean population had also praised the movie when it first came out. It had been a popular hit and it even won several awards, and maybe Kyungsoo would agree with the praise the movie got, but the main actor was making it so difficult for the boy to enjoy it.

 

“I can’t let you go like this” said the actor.

 

Kyungsoo’s mother sighed, the scene was sad since the protagonist where breaking up, she graved her husband hand and redirected her attention at the screen.

 

But Kyungsoo could not be moved by the drama, the scene was a bit too close to one of his past experience, something he would rather forget and the boy decided that it was best to just make fun of the actor and the lines he was speaking.

 

“If you can’t let me go like this, how are you going to let me go” said Kyungsoo, answering the actor on the screen.

 

“I won’t, I can’t!” the actor kept saying at the verge of tears. The main actress had say something but Kyungsoo had said over her “What about the last train? You think everyone have money for a taxi?”

 

Her mother said “Shh, I can’t hear” but for Kyungsoo that didn’t matter, the truth was that taxis where expensive.

 

“I told you that I love you! How can love change?” the main character said, as he desperetly tried to stop his female lead to leave.

 

And well, Kyungsoo begged to differ, because he believed that love could change, and again he didn’t care that he was talking over the female lead. “It does change, love does not have a shape.” 

 

“Wait please listen to what I have to say… please say something…” the character kept pleading.

“The ones who are clingy do not think about how it feels to be on the other end. They always think about themselves all the time. The clingy ones are the most selfish.” said Kyungsoo, like he was the expert in relationships.

 

 “Let’s just watch! Okay.” His mother said again, this time pushing Kyungsoo back on the sofa.

 

The boy would have stopped teasing at this point, if it had been a different movie or a different actor, but in this case, he just pushed even more. “I won’t let you go like these, I can’t. Wait. Please. Listen.” Kyungsoo recited in a bored tone “Only the words are different, it’s basically the same, he is repeating the same lines over and over.” He rolled his eyes. “Is that even a movie!”

 

“It is! It is!” his mother said, tone raising.

 

“Really! Are you sure? Because nothing really makes sense and-“Kyungsoo could not finish since his mother pushed her hand over her son mouth, in a playful  way and Kyungsoo just laughed.

 

“We can talk about this later, okay? But first I must watch the movie to judge it fairly” said his mother. It was something they usually did, watch movies together and then talk about it, Kyungsoo being a film major, enjoyed those moments a lot. So, he decided to give in, he could make fun of the movie and the main actor later.

 

“Okay, but is not as you could judge it fairly”

 

“He is right, I know you love that boy Chanyeol” said his father, he had remained mostly silent through most of their discussion, and he had probably tried to back up Kyungsoo in his argument, but the sole mention of Chanyeol name made him somewhat nervous.

 

His mother just shushed and kept watching, the movie was almost over anyway so Kyungsoo stood up from the couch to take a glass of water.

 

Right on time Kyungsoo’s phone started to vibrate in his pocket. He took the phone out and read the name on the screen, the one calling was his friend Baekhyun. He answered immediately

 

“Hello” he was greeted by a loud voice saying screaming his name, but Kyungsoo was not surprised, in fact he was prepared, he distanced he distanced his phone from his ear while he waited for Baekhyun to calm down.

 

“Kyungsoo…Kyungsoo!! Guess what”

 

“Ah I don’t know” he had no clue as to what his friend wanted to say to him.

 

“Kyungsoo! We won!”

“What”

 

“Our movie won and now we are going to get funding from the school board!”

 

Kyungsoo couldn’t say anything, he just let his mouth hang open, he was happy. He was not someone that screamed lot, but in that moment, he could not contain his joy and started screaming. Baekhyun joined him on the phone. Kyungsoo started jumping as both he and his friend screaming with all the joy in the world.

 

He wanted to tell his parents that he will be making a movie, so he hanged up the phone and headed to the living room to deliver the news. He was still screaming, although not as loud as Baekhyun had been.

 

“Mom! Dad!” he said, moving in front of the tv, “I have been selected to film a movie!”

 

He grabbed his mother by the shoulders and pushed her and his father into the couch as he threw himself at them. He was just so happy, he hugged them. Then he yelled at his sister to wake up, the girl was still sleepy and could not understand what was going on.

 

“Don’t watch this crap! Don’t watch this garbage” Kyungsoo pointed at the tv, “better watch my movie.” he kneeled right in front of them and raised his arms to the ceiling, he started yelling even higher than before

 

“Better watch my move! My movie!”

 

 

That night, Kyungsoo was so happy. The script for his movie was selected to receive funding from the college board. It was nothing too big, just a student movie, but this could be the start of something great. And he was going to get the chance to bring his and Baekhyun's ideas to the screen. Nothing could destroy his happiness.

 

 

The next day Kyungsoo was ready to go talk to the professor in charge of the board. they needed to agree on the money and how this was going to work. He waited for Baekhyun at the school gates.

 

When they saw each other, they couldn’t help it, they began to dance in happiness. Making funny moves and enjoying themselves. Their graduation project was going to receive grant and now they will finally have the chance to film a movie.

 

They danced as they made their way through campus, all the way to the filming department, without caring about the weird stares they were receiving, and they were receiving many.

 

Kyungsoo could only think about how he was going to show to everyone that told him that he was wasting his time studying film, that they were wrong. He was going to live the life he chooses and this was just a steep closer into his dreams.

 

 

“What do you mean there is no funding” Kyungsoo said, incredibility laced every word, maybe this was just a bad joke.

 

Kyungsoo and Baekhyun were sitting right in front of the professor in charge of the founding, Professor Jung, they were talking in his office. Both their faces were marked with the obvious shape of disappoint and utter disbelief.

 

 

“There is no money for the founding, sorry to make you come all the way here” said Professor Jung, he had already explained this tree times, with the same monotonous voice as if he was reading a script and not feeling sorry at all.

 

“But our work has been selected to receive funding.” Baekhyun said, pouting his lips.

 

“We will lend you the equipment, that will be enough”

 

Kyungsoo leaned back on his seat and glared at the professor, he could not believe what he was hearing, but more than angry, he was disappointed and kind of sad. 

 

Baekhyun was no better, sulking in the couch next to him, backpack hugged to his body, he said, “Yah, the equipment was going to be lend to us either way. Our seniors received 20,000 dollars last year!”

 

“What is the use of living in the past? Time has change.”  professor Jung said, his eyes narrowing at the students in front of him.

 

“How could the money for the student projects just disappear? ha” Kyungsoo said in an accusatory tone, his voice falter at the last word and he didn't even cared to feel embarrassed. He just wanted to cry.

 

“Lowered, not disappeared.”

 

“Yeah! But our tuition has not been lowered, has it…” said Kyungsoo under his breath.

 

Maybe if they pushed a bit more... “What about 10,000 dollars?”

 

The professor just looked at him with annoyance

 

“8,000 dollars? “both boys made pleading eyes.

 

“You think we are a bank?” the professor rolled his eyes.

 

Baekhyun started to make whinny noises and bounce on his chair, sometimes the boy acted like a baby, but Kyungsoo could relate, especially in this situation, he was obviously distressed. After some minutes of tense silence and whinny noises, the professor finally said

 

“Okay, if you cast an A-list actor then we can reconsider the decision for the founding.”

 

The whining increased and now Kyungsoo joined Baekhyun. This was probably not the most professional image, but they could not believe what the professor was asking of them.

 

“An A-list actor for a student film! We can’t do that.” said Baekhyun

 

“How can we afford it? It doesn’t make sense!”

 

“If you think about it, it does make sense.  You want more money, right? So, I need to justify as to why we need to give you more, if you cast an A-list actor then I can convince the board to raise the funding” 

 

Kyungsoo was angry at Professor Jung words, that is how the large-scale movies worked, but theirs was just a student film and should not be forced to work in the same way. But instead of voicing his opinion he decided to hear what the professor had to say, after all this could be their only chance.

 

“We have…many amazing graduates from this university, they can help you with the film. We have, for example… Chanyeol... Park Chanyeol! Yes, he is a graduate. Go and cast Park Chanyeol!”

 

The professor had a mischievous look on his face, and he smiled for the first time since the conversation started, he knew exactly what he was doing. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo just exchange glances, and then Baekhyun stood up from his chair and said

 

“Park… Park Chanyeol, professor? The same person that three years ago, captured the heart of millions with just one commercial? And then got a minor role in a drama and then several roles in movies.” Baekhyun raised his eyebrows “He even won many awards that year, as one of the most promising new actors. He was slowly becoming the nation’s actor and sweetheart, his career was setting of, but rumors of his wild days in college spread.”

 

“Don’t pay mind to the rumors”

 

“The same Park Chanyeol that is currently taking a leave from the acting world to recover his image? That Park Chanyeol professor? Are you talking about him? Because if you are, you very well know that what you are asking us is impossible” as he finished, he threw himself at the couch.

 

“Yah! He is really a good kid. Rumors are just rumors, he is quite nice. Besides he is a graduate from our school, he is just taking a break. This is the perfect chance.”

 

Kyungsoo had a flashback of the night before, of the movie he had been watching with his family the same movie in which Park Chanyeol had made his official his debut as an actor and successfully cataloged himself as one of the most talented new actors. And then he had flashbacks of some years before, but he was not going to give up, not now.

 

“Okay, we will cast him.” Kyungsoo had determination in his eyes, he knew why the professor had asked for them to cast Park Chanyeol, and if casting the boy will give them the money for funding their movie, then they will try to get Chanyeol to agree to filming the movie.

 

But as always, it was easier said than done.

 

Kyungsoo and Baekhyun walked outside the building to sit on the grass, Kyungsoo had his phone to his ear. Baekhyun was just waiting impatiently in front of his friend.

 

“See, he is not answering. It says the number is unavailable. Obviously… famous people never keep the same number, I told you”

 

Kyungsoo stared at the screen of his phone, he had dialed the number correctly, a number he had not called in almost a year, but still he received no answer. Maybe Chanyeol had changed number, just like Kyungsoo had assume, or maybe the other boy simply didn't want to answer. He dialed the number and waited as the phone beeped, the phone rang and eventually went to voicemail.

 

“He didn’t answer” said Kyungsoo, trying to mask his disappointment.

 

But just as he finished saying that, his phone began to ring in his hand. He checked the caller ID and even though they had just try to call the actor just some seconds ago, Kyungsoo was still surprised to read Park Chanyeol name on the screen.

 

“He is calling” Kyungsoo freeze, he was not expecting that.

 

“What are you waiting for, just answer!”

 

Kyungsoo´s eyes grew impossibly large, as they usually do when the boy gets nervous, but he did not move, unsure if he should answer the phone or not.

 

“Maybe we should just look for someone else.”

“Just answer the phone” Baekhyun could not mask his annoyance at his friend. “C’mon, Kyungsoo, don't live your life like this, if you don't answer the phone you will regret it, I know.”

 

Kyungsoo knew that Baekhyun was right, but that didn't make it easier for him to answer the call, why did he even call in the first place? Maybe it was the pleading eyes Baekhyun was making that convinced Kyungsoo of finally answer the call, but when he clicked the answer button and put the phone to his ear, the call was disconnected.

 

“He hanged up”

 

Baekhyun started to yell in frustration, then he began to roll in the grass. Kyungsoo could have found this funny in any other occasion, his friend was always so loud and obnoxious, but this time, Baekhyun was right. They had both developed the script and concept for the movie, it was their dream and Baekhyun had every right to be upset.

 

“That's the only life you know how to live, huh? Full of regrets, regrets!”

 

Baekhyun grabbed his things from the ground and left. Kyungsoo was used to his friend antics, and he would not blame him for acting that way, but he was afraid talking to Chanyeol after so many years.

 

Kyungsoo was left alone, and in the high of the moment, he dialed the number again. This time the call was answer right away. He was greeted by a deep voice, at the other end of the line, and the memories that he tried so hard to suppress, came right back at him.