CHAPTER FIVE

When Fate Meets Destiny

Somewhere in Tokyo, Japan…Jiyoung was standing in front of the notice board at the Examination Hall of International-Foreign Building; she was looking at her name on the list, and which university she attends later. She is checking at one by one the name, until at the end of the list. When comes to the end of the list, she saw her name, and the university she will be attending. She looks very disappointed because she cannot enter the university she wants to go.

“Why not Fayetteville University? Or Birmingham University? I wish to go out of the box once a while—to explore something new,” mumbled Jiyoung, looking at her name on the list; her face shown more of dissatisfaction instead of thankfulness.

Jiyoung goes to the water fountain that not so far from the building and sits on the bench near the water fountain. She sits and looks at everyone that pass the place—looks at what they are doing. In fifteen minutes later, there is someone coming, approaching her from the back, and taps her as greets her.

“Hi, chibi!” greeted a very familiar manly voice.

Jiyoung is turning back and smile back towards her, “Brother?!”

It was Jiyoung’s older brother, Yunho—he sits next to her and looks at the sky.

“Well, which university then?” asked Yunho.

“Myeongji University, South Korea,” answered Jiyoung, her dissatisfaction still shown on her face. “I wish for Fayetteville or Birmingham because I really want to go to that place. But why Myeongji? Our mother’s country.”

“Nobody knows His plan, Jiyoung. Maybe He wants to show you something about His plan for you. Remember, His Will be done,” said Yunho. “We should be thankful for everything that has been given to us, Jiyoung.”

“Okay, okay,” answered Jiyoung and immediately change the topic. “By the way, what are you doing here, brother?”

Yunho smiles, and take out something from his pocket, “I have a study group with my friends at this place.”

Yunho looks at his watch, and ready to go to meet his friends around the area. He leaves his sister alone. Jiyoung just watches him until he disappears from the view. She just sighs, and think more.

“Study? I never plan to continue study before, but because of their encouragement and advice, I rethink it back. I think it was always an opportunity for me to extend my knowledge about the study,” uttered Jiyoung by herself, and gazing at the birds fly in the sky. “I completely dislike study and books so much! And I completely cannot get what I want too, especially when it comes to studying… just unfair to me.”

Jiyoung has been sitting there for more than one hour; she thinks about a lot of stuff. After fifteen minutes gone, she has made a decision that whatever that has been given to her, she just takes it.

***

While at Shin’s Residence… eight hours later…

“I’m home,” greeted Jiyoung, take off her shoes, and entering the living room. She lies on the big couch and closes her eyes with her arm. She thinks of something back then.

As usual, she heard the voice, and it was very familiar with the voice in the afternoon; it was her older brother, Yunho. He was talking with their mother, something that she doesn’t like to hear.

“She really looks disappointed, though,” told Yunho, “I could tell through her expression. It must be so hard for her”

“Which university she chooses, then?” asked Ms. Chaeri.

“As usual, she chooses from U.S. and United Kingdom,” told Yunho, “and expected one of the options will be hers. Mother, I can understand why, because I’d been in her shoe before.”

“You guys… I don’t really understand why both of you are really choosy. Yes, I am choosey too… but not in the study,” said Ms. Chaeri, shook her head. “I wish one of you will never end to be so particular about the study.”

Jiyoung gets up from the couch, and defend herself, “Mother, there’s nothing wrong if we’re particular about our study. Besides, it’s what we like.”

Both of you are so lucky for not staying with your father’s grandparent. The etiquette is their major in the family and your father was full of knowledge about his parent’s, deep thought from Ms. Chaeri.

Ms. Chaeri goes to the kitchen, and begins to prepare all for dinner; Yunho is joining her mother in the kitchen. Jiyoung just stands there, and then, stamps her feet as she walks into her room, and takes shower.

“I did spoil your sister too much, Yunho,” said Ms. Chaeri, “I shouldn’t spoil her. This is what happens… and I really disagree with her behavior. It is too much.”

“I agree, too, mother. Quite rude,” agreed Yunho, “however she is still my sister, then.”

On the next day… on the way to SHINS Cake-Coffee House, Jiyoung looks around as nothing happen yesterday. Ms. Chaeri goes to the nearest store to buy something for the shop. She asks Yunho and Jiyoung go first to open the shop; both of them follow what their mother ask for. While their mother went to the other way…

“You should have your self-control instead of behaving like yesterday, Jiyoung. Do you know you hurt mother’s feeling by said and acted rudely towards her?” said Yunho, bluntly. “You should learn self-control of yourself. It is nothing wrong to be fearless, however, try to be humble at the same time. By the way, she is your mother, the one that gives birth to you and cares a lot when you’re sick, being bullied last time before you have changed.”

As they reach and enter the shop from the back, both of them arrange everything, as usual, they did before they open the shop. Not only both of them, the other workers also appear and join them.

“Hi, everyone! Good morning!” greeted one of the workers, known as Chinen Yuri.

“Morning…” replied Yunho, smiling towards Yuri. “Early as usual to all of you…”

“Ekkk? I always early, Yunho-niisan,” said Yuri, opened his locker, and took his uniform that had been kept there for working purpose.

Yunho smiles, and replied, “I’m just kidding—I know that you’re the early kind of person, Yuri. Besides, you are always punctual.”

The owner of the SHINS Cake-Coffee House arrives in front of the door and greets all of her workers. Her workers also greet her, with warm greetings.

“Where’s Jiyoung?” asked Ms. Chaeri, wondering.

“Ekkk?” Yunho looked around, searching for his sister, nowhere to be found, “I know that she enters the shop along with me.”

All of them wondering—then, the ladies washroom open as Jiyoung appears. They look straight at her. She wonders and returns to her place, which at the counter.

The SHINS Cake-Coffee House finally opens for that day…most that car coming was their regular customers from few of the office that not far from there. Yunho and one of the young worker taking the order from the customer from outside. At the moment…

“Let’s try this place, Riyoung,” said the guy, standing on the first seat next to the road. “I think it’s valuable to try out this place.”

“SHINS Cake-Coffee House? Have you been here before, Yongguk?” said the Riyoung, looking at the decoration. “The deco quite nice and simpler than some of the shop that taking this kind of business. I don’t want to give a big compliment about this place. But it is quite good, though. You have a good choice, Yongguk.”

“Once, I think last three four-month—” answered Yongguk, smiling. “Aaa—it is very rare for you to give such compliment, Riyoung. Your aim is too high, and this is the first time you give such compliment although it is small, though.”

“However, I don’t really take caffeine,” said Riyoung, took her seat. “But I don’t mind to try it, though.”

Both of them sit and take their order—Yunho comes and serves them with smiles. Yunho also joins them since there isn’t much customer in that few hours.

“I think I have seen you before,” whispered Yongguk, still figure out where and when he met Yunho before.

Yunho smiles again, and said, “I think you have come here last three month, and I’m the one that serves you, can you recall that?”

Finally, Yongguk remembers that moment; where he met Yunho for the first time—from that moment, Yunho and Yongguk become a friend.