ch6

Thawing

Everyone, including their new member Minkyung, are practising for their monthly performance in the dance room.

 

Chungha signals the girls to start practising again. “Break time’s over. Now...1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Ei….” She stops counting and looks around the room. “Where’s Eunwoo?”

 

Minkyung looks around, “Is she in the washroom?”

 

Kyungwon replied, “There’s no one in the washroom. I’m sure.”

 

Yebin scans the area and points at a bunch of school bags lined orderly on the floor, with cardigans covering up the area. “There.”

 

Kyungwon removes the bags and covers around Eunwoo’s specially designed sleeping corner. The girl with light brown hair is now rolling herself like a ball, sleeping soundly on the ground with her bag of clothes as the pillow.

 

Sungyeon says, “I thought Eunwoo unnie doesn’t know what is sleep.”

 

Chungha adds, “Agreed but she looks exhausted today. What happened?”

 

The short girl looks at her sister, “It’s only the third day and she’s already like that. How can she survive for 3 weeks?”

 

“Good question.”

 

“So the problem is…?”

 

“Lovesick, unnie. She’ll be fine...soon.” Xiyeon kicks the sleeping girl. “Hey, Kyulkyung called. Are you going to listen dude??”

 

Eunwoo jumps, “Call? Did I miss anything?”

 

Nayoung answers, “You miss your girlfriend.”

 

“.” Yebin covers with her hands.

 

“C’mon, unnie. I got no girlfriend.”

 

“Then girlfriend-to-be.”

 

“Since when Nayoung is that mean?” Minkyung laughs.

 

Kyungwon whispers, “Since the beginning. Be careful…” She laughs wildly and glances at Yebin, “You may be targeted any moment coz you know...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA” Minkyung gulps.

 

“I have no idea. If you really miss Kyulkyung that much, why can’t you just call her and ask her how she’s doing? Or remind her to call you? You can’t just wait for her call endlessly,” The eldest questions.

 

“Unnie, you don’t understand. I do miss her a lot but I can’t push her to call me or what. I am just her best friend and I don’t have the power to ask and monitor her actions.” The sleeping beauty sounds a bit droopy. “Besides, she told me to wait for her call because the first few days will be very busy…” Eunwoo sighs heavily, “And Chaeyeon might be keeping her busy. She’s one of the exchange students, you know.”

 

“No wonder you look so tired. I heard from other dancing students that Chaeyeon likes Kyulkyung.”

 

Eunwoo smiles weakly. “They may become really good friends after the programme, or maybe really good girlfriends.”

 

Yebin grabs Eunwoo’s shoulders and starts shaking her violently, “Jung Eunwoo, CONFIDENCE. You’re not the Eunwoo I know. Come backkkkkk.”

 

“If you’re really worried or afraid, you should show it so that she can sense it. Have you ever try confessing unnie?” Yewon asks.

 

Eunwoo shakes her head. “She once said that we should confess at the right timing, but I don’t know when. I’ve thought of confessing her on April Fool’s but I feel like a coward if I confess on that day. It would sound like joking and escaping from the consequences if I failed. I want to be sincere.”

 

“But now, you already ARE a coward, making up excuses and not confessing.”

 

Chungha hits Nayoung, “Hey. Stop it. She’s sad enough.”

 

“Okok but I’m just telling the truth.”

 

Minkyung speaks up, “Don’t hesitate even though things may look fine now. You won’t know what would happen next. You won’t know whether you won’t have a chance to talk to her again and never be able to confess to her.”

 

OH MY GAWD. Look at this kid. Kyungwon screams inwardly. MInkyung seldom says her ideas and thoughts out directly. In this case, she even included her feelings, which is almost impossible to happen. Kyungwon looks at her sister who is now biting her nails and doesn’t look aware about Minkyung’s words.

 

Kyungwon hits her head on the mirror. She sighs, “Oh dear, why is everyone so dense and so dumb….”  

 

That night after the practice, Kyungwon randomly scrolls her weibo and suddenly thinks of a great idea.

 

CHUNGHA SSAEM, NO BEANIE FOR THIS GIRL, ROTTEN BEANS, MINKYBABY<3, YEHAHAHAHANA, IMBUDDHA, DHLBAE, PDDDD AND WULIMAKNAE.3. IS ADDED TO THE GROUP.

 

YURANG AKA GENIUS CHANGES THE GROUP NAME TO “COWARDNU THANK ME”.

 

me: guys i think im a genius. ik how nunu can confess to our chinese princess.

 

pdddd: like how

 

me: i just read kiki’s weibo n i find out tht in chinese 520 sounds similar to wo ai ni which means ily n so chinese ppl consider 20 may as another valentines day sth like tht n nunu can confess on tht day

 

yehahahahana: wow unnie thts a great idea

 

minkybaby<3: y r we in this grp

 

me: we’re here to help this coward coz obviously she wont hv the guts to do so if we dont help

 

chungha ssaem: why m i in this group

 

no beanie for this girl: error404: coward not found

 

imbuddha: dont deny @no beanie for this girl

 

rotten beans: unnie time for dinner come out

 

dhlbae: if u can do this by yourself you’d hv been her girlfriend for ages unnie

 

pdddd: true @dhlbae

 

no beanie for this girl: ok you’re right… so how should i do? when should i do? where should i do?

 

me: chungha unnie u were there tht day when we talked about them so i added u

 

me: n i just realised tht 520 is the day after our school picnic aka holiday so we can go out tgt n witness this special moment omg where shld we go

 

no beanie for this girl: it would be embarrassing

 

rotten beans: unnie i give u 2s you better come out or else mom will be killing u

 

yehahahahana: we will give u some time alone it will be fine

 

dhlbae: lets go to beach guyssssss chungha unnie will u be joining us

 

chungha ssaem: well maybe not im hving a rehearsal tht day:(((

 

rotten beans: tbh jung eunwoo if you want to be sincere you better think of something to give to your girlfriend tht day it would be better if it’s diy ok?

 

no beanie for this girl: beach ok! diy ok! ideas not ok! i reli dont like to use my brain help me think babes

 

*silence*

 

MESSAGE FROM NO BEANIE FOR THIS GIRL.

 

no beanie for this girl: hello?

 

imbuddha: shall we help u date this girl as well?

 

minkybaby<3, rotten beans: lmao unnie

 

wulimaknae.3.: woot in sync

 

dhlbae: @wulimaknae.3.  to be in sync is easy for the world’s no.1 shippable couple

 

me: ^agreeeeeed

 

minkybaby<3, rotten beans: @dhlbae shut up

 

pdddd: it’s hard to believe that you guys aren’t a couple

 

rotten beans: unnie we better shut up

 

no beanie for this girl: im ignored. i thought you guys are here to help me

 

*silence*

 

no beanie for this girl: i hate you guys -3-

 

NO BEANIE FOR THIS GIRL CHANGES THE GROUP NAME TO “I’M NOT THANKFUL AND IHY :)”

 

-------------------------------------------------------

 

Yebin’s class are having PE lesson.

 

“Jung Eunwoo, it has been days. Have you thought about what to make for your girlfriend??” Yebin is annoyed. Eunwoo has been procrastinating too much.

 

“Why are you guys already referring Kyulkyung to my girlfriend? She may reject me actually.”

 

“I thought it is obvious that Kyulkyung likes you.”

 

“I don’t think so.”

 

“Unnie, Jung Eunwoo can be a bit dense when it comes to love.”

 

Eunwoo bursts out of laughter, “Wow, this is a very unconvincing statement when the person saying this is Kang Ye Bin.”

 

Minkyung giggles, “So what’s your idea, Eunwoo yah?”

 

“I’ve thought of making a DIY pouch for her and maybe put a pile of DIY cards inside it. Ummm....you know, those pasted with tonnes of photos and with words written at the back. There are some really beautiful designs and different cards and there are tutorials on Youtube. But I’m afraid I won’t be able to finish it. I’ve only got a month to make them.”

 

“I know Kyungwon has a friend who makes those diy leather pouches and offers lessons for people to learn.”

 

“And Xiyeon and Kyla are really great drawers. I think they can help you.”

 

“You really need help if you want to finish these gifts on time.”

 

“Oh gosh, what can I do if I don’t have you guys…”

 

As the 3 girls are discussing about Eunwoo’s plan, other students are practising their pitching skills. Balls are flying here and there. None of them are really practising seriously.

 

“WATCH OUT!!”

 

Minkyung shrugs when she hears the sudden sound. She feels a sudden grab at her wrist and a strong pull which forces Minkyung to turn around. She closes her eyes tightly. She feels a cold hand pressing her head down onto his/her shoulders.

 

A ball was flying towards Minkyung at high speed but she wasn’t aware that she was the one who had to watch out because her back was facing the ball and was unable to see it flying. When somebody yelled, both Yebin and Eunwoo looked up and saw the ball. Eunwoo wanted to ask Minkyung to watch out also but it was too sudden and she was unable to speak. On the other hand, Yebin, without hesitation, pulled Minkyung into her embrace and turns around so that the ball hits her back, but not her precious unnie.

 

The ball hits Yebin’s shoulder real hard but Yebin doesn’t feel the pain. She was only thinking about Minkyung, whose eyes flashed moments of fear when she shrugged because she is afraid of flying balls. Yebin actually knows and remembers and that was also the reason why Yebin chose athletics but not other ball games for her own sports team. If Minkyung comes and supports her, she won’t have to be afraid.

 

“Damn, Kim Minkyung, you’re okay, right?” Yebin asks as she pulls away the hug and grabs Minkyung’s shoulder tightly, trying to check whether her unnie is alright.

 

Minkyung looks into Yebin’s worried eyes. “Pabo, of course I’m fine. You’re the one who got hit by the ball, not me. But,” she looks at her shoulders, “it’s quite painful here.”

 

Yebin realises that she have held her unnie too tight. “Sorry,” She realises her grip and smiles awkwardly.

 

“Lovebirds, we’re still having our lesson,” Eunwoo rolls her eyes. Judging at Yebin’s action, she knows the girl will soon realise or maybe, already realised, that she has never forgotten her crush.

 

The pair scratch their heads, looking embarrassed.

 

“Yebin, that was very cool and manly but I’m sure your shoulder will swell real soon. Minkyung, since your friend got hurt because of preventing you getting hurt, you are in charge to check whether Yebin is okay. Go to the medical room and take some cream so that Yebin can apply on it.” The teacher instructs. “As for the others, since you all weren’t being careful and were playing and joking around here and there, you all have to run 6 laps around the sportsground as a punishment.”

 

Yebin is sitting at the changing room, waiting for Minkyung to return. She finally feels the pain surging through her body after making sure Minkyung was okay. Recalling the accident, she herself was surprised about her action. Everything was so smooth and the pull was like a reflex action to protect Minkyung.

 

Yebin starts to realise how much she wanted to protect Minkyung. When she saw Minkyung shrugged, her heart ached and she wanted to hug and comfort the older girl so badly. When the ball hit her, she was glad that the person being hit was herself but not Minkyung. When she assured Minkyung was fine, she was relieved. They were all the feelings Yebin experienced when she loved Minkyung before. She wanted Minkyung to be safe.

 

Sadly, Yebin knows even she can protect this girl from getting hurt now, she won’t be the one to protect her forever. One day, somebody will take up this responsibility and do a better job, and Minkyung will take up the responsibility of protecting him. However, by now, Yebin wants to ensure Minkyung is in good condition, before she needs to hand her to somebody else. This will be the best way. I’m sure.

 

Minkyung enters the changing room, “Pabo, take off one side of your sleeve and let unnie see your injury.

 

Yebin follows. Minkyung sees the huge swollen surface on Yebins back, near her shoulder. She felt so sorry and heart broken for making the girl she wanted to protect for her life hurt. “, Yebin. I’m so useless. I’m sorry.”

 

“Don’t say sorry and blame yourself. It was my decision to turn myself around and get hit by the ball.”

 

Minkyung applies the cream on Yebin, “Pabo, you shouldn’t have done that. I’m the unnie, and I should be the one protecting you. Try holding the pain, pabo. I'll rub harder so that you can recover faster.”

 

Yebin’s heart breaks when she hears Minkyung’s apolegetic tone. She doesn’t want Minkyung to blame herself.

 

“Stop calling...Ouch...me pabo, unnie. I’m...Ouch....fine, really. It would have been more painful seeing you get hurt....” Yebin blurts out. She doesn’t intend to say all of her feelings out but she doesn’t know how comfort the taller girl, who is now biting her lip and mumbling questions like, “Why didn’t I stand still?” and “I should have pushed you away.” Yebin turns back and looks into Minkyung’s watery eyes. Minkyung seldom cries in front of people. She usually hides herself before crying.

 

“Unnie, I suddenly recall something. One day we went out and saw a cyclist...”

 

“and he didn’t know how to control his bike at all and didn’t know how to slow down. He almost hit on you and you didn’t know that because you were jumping like a bunny telling me about your strange classmates.”

 

“You remember?”

 

“Why don’t I? I remember lots of things about us...”The girl adds immediately, “You and Kyungwon.”

 

“But Kyungwon unnie always complain that you mix up details when recalling memories.”

 

“Oh, that’s because events she mentioned weren’t significant.” Minkyung lies and continues, “And then, I remember pulling you really hard to avoid him and we both lost our balance and fell on a lightpost.”

 

“Then, you said, ‘If you get hurt, unnie will be unhappy. You should be protected in my hands.’. And then, I said, ‘When I grow up, I will have to protect unnie like that also.’ And today, I did it. It was my promise, so please unnie, don’t be sorry.” Yebin looks and Minkyung and smiles brightly.

 

Minkyung nods like a little kid. She’s fascinated that Yebin remembers all the details and keeps her words and even some stupid, unimportant promises which there wasn’t a need to keep.

 

Minkyung is a bit confused at Yebin’s somehow contradicting words and actions but she decides not to think about it because what is more important is that Minkyung is now sure that she’s not unimportant in Yebin’s heart.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

: Guys im back:( Sorry to be this late. I finished typing this chapter last week and planned to update it. But then unfortunate things happened and I thought it wasn't a right timing to update the story. I hope you all would understand TT. I tried hard typing the scene where yebin protects minkyung from the ball. Do u guys understand and able to visualize the scene?? I hope you all would like this chapter! Remember to give me feedbacks. Comment, vote and subscribe :) 

and i hope everyone esp shawols can stay strong after such a tragedy:( esp nayoung (poor nayoung she wont be able to have a happy birthday anymore:( ) 

rip jonghyun i hope you are happier now you worked hard and we love you and we will never forget you