ch3

Thawing

School in Korea is so different than that in Australia.

 

Minkyung is glad that she’s sitting with Yebin. She is one of the elites in class. Minkyung can ask questions whenever she wants, although Yebin seldom answers. Even when she answers, her replies won’t be more than 5 words.

 

They are now having maths lesson. Minkyung is struggling with maths.

 

“Yebin ah? Yebin ah? Hello?” Minkyung taps at Yebin’s shoulder, “Yebin ah?”

 

Take the power down, drop power by one….4x cube… Differentiate natural logs, 1 over x…” Yebin tries hard to concentrate on her math exercise. She doesn’t want to have so many interactions with her neighbour.

 

Minkyung really needs help.

 

“Do you hear me? Do you know…”

 

Yebin is a bit annoyed. She really hopes Minkyung is able to read her mind, knowing the reason why she ignores her, understands her and stop calling her name.

 

“No, I don’t! Stop calling my name almost every lesson, okay? Concentrate and stay focus. You may not care about classes but I do. Don’t disturb me, please,” Yebin throws her pen on the table while staring at her workbook.

 

Minkyung admits that she wants to talk to Yebin so much that whenever she has a chance, she attempts to talk and ask Yebin random stuff. She knows that the younger girl is trying to avoid her, but still she doesn’t want to give up these precious chances. However, most of the time, during class, Minkyung wants to ask something academic. Questions on worksheets are just too difficult for her, and there are too many new terms she hasn’t heard of before.

 

Yebin’s reply seconds ago heated Minkyung up. Although Minkyung doesn’t know the reason why Yebin has started to avoid her for 3 years since that Christmas, she thinks that it’s understandable that Yebin doesn’t want to talk to her much after avoiding her these years. Yet, she isn’t willing to listen to what Minkyung really wanted to ask in class and alleges that Minkyung only wanted to chit-chat with her. Minkyung hates being misunderstood.

 

“If you don’t want me to talk bull, ok fine, tell me. But I’m new to this education system and I just wanted to catch up. You’re my neighbour so I think i can rely on you. Just now, I wanted to ask how can I do question 21. That’s all. It’s important and serious. I just want to know what the heck is going on AND HAD NO INTENTION OF DISTURBING YOU, OKAY?”

 

The bell rings. Minkyung leaves the classroom to find Kyungwon.

 

Yebin sighs. I’m sorry, unnie. I didn’t want to do so but this is the only way.

 

------------------------------------------------------

 

Minkyung hasn’t talk to Yebin for the rest of the day. Yebin feels uncomfortable. She glances at the taller girl who’s now scribbling on a piece of paper.

 

She wants to talk to her.

 

No, Yebin ah. You can’t. You know your final aim is to forget her. If you chat with her, all your effort will be wasted.

 

Maybe it’s already wasted.

 

After school, Yebin went to the library to borrow some reference books for her literature written report. After borrowing the books she needed, she left the library and passed by music rooms, where she heard someone singing.

 

Immediately, Yebin recognizes the voice. She feels her heart beating.

 

Yebin slows down and peeks through the narrow window of the music room.

 

She sees Minkyung and her cousin, Yewon, playing their guitars, singing Lost Stars together.

 

Her voice is still the same. Still angelic.

 

Yebin misses this voice. Unlike Minkyung’s husky voice when she’s laughing or talking, her voice is clear and sweet when she sings.

 

*flashback*

 

Minkyung was pulling Yebin out of her room.

 

“C’mon, let’s go! It won’t be boring, I promise.”

 

“Unnie, I don’t like going to the church. I’m not even a Catholic.”

 

“Neither do I. But it’s the first time I’m singing solo in public. You should come and support me!”

 

Minkyung was a helper of the church choir. It was the first time for her to sing solo during Thanksgiving Day Mass.

 

Yebin grabbed Minkyung’s arm, “Ok, why me? Can’t you find Kyungwon unnie?”

 

Minkyung stood and scratched her head. She hadn’t even thought of finding Kyungwon since the start when she knew she was going to sing a solo part in the choir. She only wanted Yebin to come. She knew only Yebin was able to give her strength. Yebin was, and is special to her.

 

“She’s not supportive enough.” Minkyung cuddled the little girl, “Yebin ahhhhhhh. Pleaseeeeee, I love you.”

 

Minkyung’s aegyo was too cute for Yebin to handle. Even though Yebin knew the words I love you didn’t mean the way she wanted, she melted still. Besides, she was curious about how’d her crush sing peaceful hymns with her husky voice. She gave up and nodded, “Ok, let’s go.”  

 

Yebin tried to keep herself awake during the mass. It was boring and Yebin was exhausted but she didn’t want to miss Minkyung singing so she didn’t doze off. Finally, it was her turn. Yebin was amazed at how her voice changed when she started singing. It’s like a voice of an angel, although Minkyung had already been one in Yebin’s heart.

 

Suddenly realising what’s going on with her brain, Yebin smacks herself for recalling episodes with Minkyung again.

 

Yebin hides behind the door of the music room, thinking that the girls inside the room won’t be able to see her. But as Minkyung looks up after finishing their first song, she sees the girl’s reflection from the window of the room opposite to the music room.

 

Minkyung knows that the girl outside fails to realise that her actions have already been caught. Her clumsy hiding acts melt Minkyung’s heart even though she’s still a bit angry about Yebin’s words this morning.

 

Guess I’m unable to get angry with you, not even once.

 

-------------------------------------------------------

 

It’s math lesson again.

 

And again, Minkyung doesn’t know how to differentiate functions again.

 

She turns to look at the girl at her side. She opens but swallows back what she wants to say. She turns around and plans to ask Eunwoo, who is sitting two rows behind her. She sees the girl playing with Kyulkyung’s fingers and they are intertwining their fingers, it’s obvious that the two of them aren’t paying attention in class.

 

She asks people around her, but nobody knows how to do it. Minkyung turns back, stares at the question paper and sighs.

 

Yebin is aware of Minkyung’s actions. She leans towards her neighbour, “You can actually ask me. I know how to do it.”

 

Minkyung feels like winning a lottery when Yebin takes the initiative to talk to her after so many years. However, she recalls what Yebin said to her yesterday.

 

Minkyung replies coldly, “It’s okay, I don’t need your help. Focus on your work. I don’t want to disturb you from doing maths.”

 

Ouch. It hurts. It feels like a knife stabbing at Yebin’s heart for multiple times. Her heart aches. She feels really sorry for what she said yesterday. She regrets for being so harsh to Minkyung.

 

She doesn’t want this to happen. She just wants to prevent herself from falling for Minkyung again. She doesn’t want to see Minkyung angry or sad or being mean to her.

 

She reflects upon her attitude towards Minkyung since the beginning of the school year.

 

Is this the right way? I wanted us to be happy, but are we really doing so? Am I being too selfish?

 

Yebin is confused.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

: hi guys! i'm back!! thankyou for being so supportive TT i'm touched. hope you enjoy it!!! Remember to subscribe and comment! Give me some feedbacks:)

fyi words italic are usually thoughts n words bolded n italic are sounds and pop-up messages!

lastly i'd like to apologize for express my rage here but YOU MNET WHY DID YOU DELETE THAT STAR COUNTDOWN VIDEO OF PRISTIN WHAT DID THEY DO WRONG IT'S YOUR FAULT FOR NOT ABLE TO INVITE SNSD N IT'S YOUR ING FAULT FOR NOT COVERING THE UPCOMING FEATURING ARTIST WELL SO WHYYYY??!!! DO YOU HATE THEM THAT MUCH THAT YOU HAVE TO CUT MILLIONS OF VOTES FROM A NEW GIRL GROUP AND NOW EVEN DELETING THEIR VIDEO THAT YOU ASK THEM TO RECORD FOR YOU???!!!! THEY MUST HAVE LOOKED FORWARD TO SNSD AND NOW THEY CANT EVEN WATCH THEIR OWN VID WTF IS GOING ON MNET ALSO SHOULDNT YOU BE DELETNG THOSE VOTES FROM ILLEGAL ACCOUNTS WHY ARE YOU DELETING THOSE VOTES VOTED BY LOYAL FANS DURING THEIR MASS VOTING SECTION MNET IS A MESS DAMN YOU